Computer Related Questions - Volume 148 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 149 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 148. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/02/2008 at 00:10

re. ssu.exe - L'escargot - CRQ vol147 - jbif
Well, that's a complete contradiction of what PREVX says about it! (By the way, I have Webroot Spy Sweeper and Antivirus.)

I think you were probably looking at a specific location for the ssu.exe file.
PREVX give their verdict on ssu.exe depending on where the file is located -
spywarefiles.prevx.com/spywarefilesmore.asp?FXC=DD...6
As you will see from that table, Webroot gets a green light for its correctly located file.
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - Mike H
I've been with Tiscali as my ISP for some years now - in fact, ever since I had internet access on dialup which must be around 8-9 years. I'm thinking of moving on, but having queried the situation with Tiscali, once I close my account any emails going to my long-standing email addres will be lost. As I'm obviously now on broadband, I don't even have the option of a transition period as I can only have one or the other service active on my line. It seems therefore that I'm stuffed with staying with Tiscali, but I wondered how others had tackled this problem? The only potential way round it might be to open a dial-up account with Tiscali just to keep my old address active, but that entails buying a modem...and there is no guarantee I can link them seamlessly.
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - Stuartli
>>The only potential way round it might be to open a dial-up account with Tiscali just to keep my old address active>>

I was in the same position when I moved on from dial-up with Tiscali to broadband (I'd been with it since 1998 and wished to keep my WorldOnline e-mail address). The solution was to convert the monthly payment dial-up account to PAYG.

That's still the arrangement although I've now been with TalkTalk for just under two years; I don't actually use the PAYG account, not even to make an occasional connection, a situation which I also have with a Pipex dial-up account dating back to 1996.

Any WOL and/or Pipex e-mails are collected via TalkTalk's servers.
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - rtj70
This is why many of us probably do not use the email address they get from their ISP. I originally had demon dial-up for a long time. When I stopped using it I moved to having a Yahoo account - about 7 years ago.

You're probably best emailing getting a new email address, letting people know that one, and after a while switch ISP and lose the old email address.
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - cheddar
I have kept an old ISP address going for four years since leaving them, I simply have a PAYG dial up account still in place with the old ISP and to access the mail via my newer ISP broadband I set the incoming mail server as:

xxx.oldisp.xxx

And the outgoing as:

xxx.newisp.xxx

Works fine, I dial up once a month or so to keep the account active.
>>set the incoming mail server as:>>

All that is required (in Outlook Express or Thunderbird) is to retain the correct POP and SMTP configuration for the old e-mail address in its own Account (from Tools) and, from the Account's Properties>Connections tab, ensure mail is collected via your Default ISP or LAN from the drop down menu.

If you Reply to an old e-mail address message, you will have to ensure that from the Message panel's drop down "From" menu, you use your Default e-mail address listing.

Edited by Stuartli on 10/02/2008 at 19:58

Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - buzbee
I use broadband and Thunderbird with an old dial up account, (DUA) similarly.

But my BB ISP does not require me to name his outgoing server in order that he send the mail. It is sent as long as it is showing a valid looking source address. So I can send mail without modifying Thunderbird.

To collect mail sent to that DUA account I just have to add a section to Thunderbird to receive it and it comes in with the other mail.
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - charlesb
I had this about 4 years ago when I switched from BTOpenworld (BTYahoo) to Telewest.

The problem was that BT would cutoff access to POP3 access (Thunderbird, Outlook express) if I didn't use the dialup, so I decided to upgrade to BTYahoo Premium mail, which gives me unlimited storage, POP3 access and 5 email addresses for £1.50 / month.

That also meant that whoever I choose to move to broadband wise, I'm not stuck in a similar position down the line.

Just a thought
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - Mike H
Thanks for the ideas, pretty much on the lines of what I was thinking with a dial-up account - I just need to make sure that I don't need to dial in occasionally as I don't have a modem. I'm quite happy with reconfiguring Outlook as I look after all such boring things at the ofice.....
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - stackman
I had exactly the same problem I had Tiscali through a dial-up account but when I wanted broadband they wouldn't supply as they said my line wasn't suitable. (Too far from the exchange)

BT offered broadband so I signed up with them and in addition to my new BT e-mail address I maintain my Tiscali e-mail through an account setting in Outlook Express.

I have no account with Tiscali but still have free use of their e-mail services.

As stated above, all outgoing mail has to be through BT but if you want to send from Tiscali you can log in through their website.
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Thanks for the ideas, pretty much on the lines of what I was thinking with a dial-up account - I just need to make sure that I don't need to dial in occasionally as I don't have a modem.

Erm, that might be a problem, I'm still using my 1999 vintage Freeserve e-amil address, despite two changes of ISP since, but I have to dial in for a few seconds very 200 days or something similar to keep the account active.
>>That might be a problem>>

I haven't used my Tiscali PAYG account for at least three years and around the same time, or perhaps longer, for the Pipex equivalent.
Changing ISPs & redirecting emails - Welliesorter
For what it's worth, I have a lineone.net (long since swallowed up by Tiscali) address which dates from the late 90s. It still works, even though I haven't dialled up for years. In fact I'm not sure if I ever have done more than once or twice. I'm not sure whether a Tiscali address would be the same.

If you're looking for a good replacement, consider www.googlemail.com or www.gmx.co.uk . Both offer a choice between webmail via a browser or POP3 access using an e-mail program such as Outlook or Thunderbird.
Problem with National Rail Timetable Site - Armitage Shanks {p}
I use this site a lot and have done for years without problems. Now, I start to plan a journey and get the following message:

Sorry, your journey planning session has been closed due to inactivity.

Please click here to re-enter your journey.

Please note:
If you still have problems, check your browser's network settings are set to use the same proxy server for both the http and https secure protocols.

As I have only been on the site for 60 seconds inactivity isn't an issue - please can some kind soul clarify the 'instructions'? I haven't changed any settings but the site is unusable - for me.

Only does this on IE7 - OK on Mozilla/Firefox

Problem with National Rail Timetable Site - Stuartli
I use Firefox for 98 per cent of the time and IE7 for what's left (FF also has the IEView add-on); it could be to do with the Security aspects of IE7.

With IE7 open using the website mentioned, click on Page>Page menu in the Toolbar and then on Web Page Privacy Policy - you may have Blocked cookies from the website.

Edited by Stuartli on 12/02/2008 at 10:04

Problem with National Rail Timetable Site - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thank you for that Sli! The problem has cured itself but it is good to know the Firefox route anyway
Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - commerdriver
Sorting out Mother in Law's house we have found a load of 35mm slides.

The easiest way to preserve the images and ensure that SWMBO and her sisters each have a copy is probably to scan them into a computer and give everyone a DVD.
There seem to be loads of slide scanners on the market, has anyone used one and if so how good were the results?

Edited by Webmaster on 18/02/2008 at 13:47

Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - Stuartli
Depending on just how many slides "a load" comprises, it might be cheaper in the long run to have them done as a batch by a professional laboratory.

Some Canon and Epson flat bed scanners can also scan 35mm slides or, even better, is a dedicated film scanner, but it won't be cheaper than a flat bed type.

Moreover, a film scanner is likely to be of little use to you afterwards.
Thanks Stuart probably looking at about 1000 slides, even just scanning the "important" ones probably still 5-600, long boring task ahead.
One other thought has come to mind - either a slide duplicator or zoom slide duplicator on the lines of:

tinyurl.com/2l4jjq

used with a digital camera.

Jessops doesn't seem to stock its own model any longer, but Googling will bring up some potential buys, most likely secondhand.

Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - Chicken Vindaloo
I did a similar thing for the little old lady over the road some months ago. My scanner had a slide attachment but it was still the most boring, soul destroying job I've done in ages. If there's a next time, I would definitely use a third party to do it.
Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - JH
c
I've been part way down this path myself, which is to say I haven't got around to actually doing anything yet! My investigations revealed;

Using a flat bed scanner is a nightmare, quality is awful and it's a lot of work in Photoshop afterwards. Of course there may be better flat bed scanners out there than my 8 year old Canon.

Special slide scanners - there's a lot of rubbish available at very high prices and the good stuff costs a fortune even second hand. You're looking at Nikon or Konica Minolta. Yes, I know KM don't exist any longer but these things hold their value like errr something that holds it's value very well.

So, when I finally get round to it I think I'll send 'em off to one of the companies that claims to clean them, do multi scans and infra red to get of the scratches and generally make them look like new. When I get round to it.

If you beat me to it (highly likely!) I'd be interested in hearing the results.

JH
>>Yes, I know KM don't exist any longer>>

Er, actually it does...:-)

www.konicaminolta.co.uk/more-information/products....l

IIRC a decision was taken to stop producing digital cameras (a shame as my 2MP Minolta E203, now six years old, takes cracking pix).
Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - tyro
I have scanned some 4000 of my slides using a Canon 5000F, which is a four year old flatbed scanner with a slide scanning attachment.

Time consuming it is. Very. It takes about 3 hours or so to scan a box of 36 slides.

Quality (at 600 dpi) is not great. There is also the problem of dust getting onto the scanner. I don't know how much better a more modern scanner would be, or a dedicated a slide scanner.

Soul destroying? Well, my soul has survived.

Boring? Well, that's a matter of opinion. I am actually working on it right now - 11 year old holiday slides from France. In some ways quite interesting!
Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - rtj70
I have a Canon scanner with slide/film adapter (3000F?).

Anyway results were never great. Think about the same optics to scan a full A4 page at 600dpi doing a slide.... a lot less dpi I would imagine.

Maybe a dedicated scanner better quality but it will be costly and take forever. I'd personally bite the bullet and send to a third party. Or even see what quality you get by projecting and filming ;-)
Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - cheddar
Tyro, so you have spent over 300 hours scannng slides? Why not get someone to do them for you?
>>Why not get someone to do them for you?>>

Which is really the point I made Monday dinnertime...:-)
Cheddar - I guess I'm just crazy!

But I do quite enjoy it. It's my "winter evening project". And I can do something else at the same time - like surf the web.

I'd be interested in knowing what the quality would be like if one used a professional lab. When I've got my slides put onto a CD by Fuji at the time of processing, the results have not been as good as I would have expected.

Edited by tyro on 18/02/2008 at 23:22

>>i'd be interested in knowing what the quality would be like if one used a professional lab.>>

If they are not up to expectations at least you will have some comeback - which is more than can be said if you've spent many hours doing it yourself....:-)

I used to have my films developed and returned not only in negative form but also as a CD-ROM from top quality labs.

Some of these date back six or more years (Kodak) and the quality still stands up to anything produced today.
Let me clarify what I mean.

There are two main aspects to quality.

One is resolution. At 600 dpi, the quality of the slides I have scanned is perfectly acceptable when viewed on a computer screen. It is not, however, quite as good as the quality I get with a modern digital compact camera.

The other is colour reproduction. On my Canon Scanner, I get very good colour reproduction.

On the boxes that I have had scanned commercially on to CD-ROM at the time of processing, the quality of the resolution has been a little poorer than the slides that I have scanned myself, and the colour reproduction has been very poor indeed.
Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - SpamCan61 {P}
Well I've scanned around 6000 photos in the last few years, mostly doing 1 film per evening. I use one of these:-

www.photoscientia.co.uk/Review.htm

The choice of film scanners is pretty limited at the budget end of the market these days, if starting agin I'd probably try and get one of these :-

ca.konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_cam...l

Or a second hand canonscan 2710.

In terms of scanning software I found my workflow speeded up significantly when using Vuescan instead of the the SW bundled with the scanner.

www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

Slides are more challenging than negatives to scan properly, and there is a fair old learning curve involved.

General site for information on scanning:-

www.scantips.com/
This keenly priced Canon flat bed scanner with film scanning feature shows the abilities of modern scanners:

tinyurl.com/22cufv

It will more than match the resolution of 35mm slides.

Other slgihtly more expensive possibilities:

tinyurl.com/2noxfl
Thanks for the replies - a lot of useful stuff there.
I went and looked a a number of flat bed scanners and bought a HP Scanjet flatbed with a slide function, tried it out on a few of the slides last night and it seems to work well.
Lots of options out there.
Scanning 35mm slides - experience? - JH
Stuart,
thanks for the correction. Sticking my neck out (again!) the camera division ended up with Sony I believe.
JH
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - Welliesorter
I've been asked to try to fix a colleague's Sony Vaio laptop. The model number is PCG-9U1M and it has Windows XP Home installed. It's probably a few years old but not too ancient. Although lots of models are listed on the Vaio support web site, this isn't one of them.

According to the owner it crashed while the hard drive was being defragged. Now, when the PC is switched on, it gives the boot menu with the choice of normal start, command prompt, safe mode, last known good configuration, etc.

Selecting any of the available options gives a second of the normal Windows XP splash screen followed by a blue screen, after which the PC reboots and returns to the boot menu. It's impossible to read the error message on the blue screen because it's only visible for a fraction of a second.

The owner doesn't have a Windows CD or anything resembling a recovery disk. A few minutes of research on the web lead me to believe that these aren't necessarily supplied with a new Vaio laptop anyway.

There can't be much wrong with the hardware of the PC as I can boot it, and browse the contents of the hard drive, using a Knoppix live Linux CD. By doing so I've managed to copy most of the owner's photos and music files onto an external USB hard drive.

The obvious course of action would be to reinstall Windows but, as I said, I don't have the necessary CDs. I do have the OEM copy of XP Home that came with my own Medion desktop PC but don't know whether this would be of any use. Presumably I'd have to enter a product key, which I'm loath to do because of the need for Windows activation; the copy of Windows is still in use on my own machine. Also, I happen to know that some OEM copies of Windows wil only install if they find a specific manufacturer's BIOS. I don't have much experience of laptops, but I'm guessing that there would also be a need for device drivers which wouldn't be included in a generic copy of Windows.

It's been a while since I've needed to reinstall XP from scratch. This is an indication of how big an improvement it was on 95/98/Me, which I used to install every few months.

I have a feeling that I may have to concede defeat, and that I have at least achieved something by recovering the files. Can anyone think of anything else to try before I return it and tell the owners to get a proper repair man?
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - billy25
>>and tell the owners to get a proper repair man? <<

Unfortunately, without the disc, and if the machine has no recovery partition (ususlly F8 or 11) set, then a "proper" repairman may be the only answer if you want to re-use the h/drive, they (sometimes) have a "multi-licence" agreement and will put a "generic" version of XP on for you. You may have to source your other device drivers from the net though.
Sometimes it may be possible to re-load a "generic" version over the existing operating system without doing a full format, if this works you shouldn't lose anything previously installed,.
Billy

Edited by billy25 on 20/02/2008 at 01:35

Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - Stuartli
What is really required is an XP Repair, but this is naturally somewhat difficult without an installation disk or the Product Key.

Just in case, however, here's a guide to an XP Repair:

www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - knowwun
The repair man will not have a generic copy of windows to use. He is not allowed to, there is no such thing. There are Retail licences (for Joe Public buyer), OEM licences (for bulk machine makers), and Volume Licences (for companies).

There should be an OEM license key fixed to the base of the machine. If its missing then the user will have to buy a retail version.

Sony PCs are a nightmare with respect to support (lack of), device drivers (lack of) and non standard features and hardware. Expect a world of pain getting it all working if you need to reload

Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - billy25
There are Retail licences (for Joe Public buyer), OEM licences (for bulk machine makers), and Volume Licences (for companies).<<

I may fall foul of trade descriptions, but these are what i was classing as "repairmen with generic versions of xp" ;-)

Billy

Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - jbif
The link provided by Stuartli above has this useful link within it which explains wheere the windows activation details are stored: aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

If there is no product key sticker on the base of the Vaio, you could try this method: Ultimate Boot CD for Windows has a key extracting tool - see Information & Diagnostic Tools section at www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm.
Trouble is you will have to make a ubcd4win first using your installation disks. Perfectly legal, it would seem, but you are then NOT supposed to use that bootcd in another PC.

Thanks for all the suggestions, which I'll follow up later.

The laptop does have the usual barcoded Windows label underneath. I'd assumed that I'd need an additional code from the actual CD to reinstall in such a way that wouldn't give problems with activation.

If all else fails there's always penguin power, but I suspect this would be a step too far for the owner!
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - rtj70
The product key on the sticker is what you will need to re-install if you have the media.
The product key on the sticker is what you will need to re-install if you
have the media.

Does that also mean it would be possible with a borrowed CD?

I'm guessing the answer is yes, if the Windows version matches exactly. I realise that some OEM disks (notably Dell ones) detect the BIOS so that they'll only install on the original brand of PC.
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - rtj70
I'd say it might.... depends on what version is installed. OEM vs Retail. Never had to install either.. Works laptop on volume licensing and home PC has XP already....

If the borrowed CD is the right version it might just work.

An alternative is to check the filesystem. Knoppix probably no good but get hold of BartPE and you might be able to fix the disk.
Thanks again. I'll invistigate BartPE when I get the time. Knoppix is good for rescuing files, and for confirming that the hardware works, but it can't repair an unbootable Windows installation.

As I said before, I have a PC of my own running XP Home so presumably I could create a BartPE CD on that.

It would be nice to be able to rescue the existing installation rather than start from scratch.

As the fault occured while defragging, it seems possible that the problem is caused by a damaged filesystem.

I wonder if that could be fixed with the normal tools provided with Windows by booting with BartPE.
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - drbe
you will have to make a ubcd4win first using your installation disks. Perfectly
legal it would seem but you are then NOT supposed to use that bootcd in
another PC.

What do you do if you were not supplied with installation disks when you purchased the PC?
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - jbif
What do you do if you were not supplied with installation disks when you purchased the PC?

I think most suppliers provided one later if you asked for it, either free or at a small charge.
Failing that, if your question is how to make the ubcd4win bootcd, the instructions are here: ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8718
See post nos. 2 and 8

Hint:
1. taken from www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm - What are the requirements for building UBCD4Win?
The files from your Windows® Installation CD-Rom. Supported Windows® versions are:
Windows® XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows® XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows® Server 2003, Web Edition
Windows® Server 2003, Standard Edition
Windows® Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
2. Then think why Ben Mott (post no8) posts this link
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831...x

P.S. the link I originally posted does not work because there is a "." full stop at the end of the link. The correct link is www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

The process may be easier for some people if they purchase the partly ready made cd from the ubcd4win author.
Re the imminent release of final XP-SP3
ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9761 "Microsoft to relax XP activation rules with SP3"
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - Stuartli
When the RC1 SP3 beta was released earlier this month, I just downloaded and installed it...:-)

I did, however, backup the original XP Pro/SP2 setup on my system first; after installing SP3 I did a second backup and then ran a full defrag (amazing just what is needed), followed up by a third backup.

The system has been used with SP3 for quite some time now and has so far run as sweetly as previously.

By the way, if you run this small script on your system released by Microsoft, then only the sections needed from the 334MB of RC1 or later will be installed on your system by WindowsUpdate.

tinyurl.com/27y7vb
Blue Screen - reboot- repeat ad infinitum - Baskerville
Out of interest Stuartli, is there any additional functionality in SP3 or is it just a wrap-up of previous updates? I assume from what you say that stability is about the same, but would it slow an older system (or more specifically a VM with restricted resources) down noticeably as I seem to recall SP2 did? I'm guessing it's not as significant as SP2 was.
Thanks for the continued responses. A friend has offered a spare legit copy of XP Home so I should have that to fall back on if all else fails. I'll attend to it again when that arrives.
Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - Pezzer
Recently the signal strength/range from my Belkin 54g wireless router has been weak. It still works if I'm close by but my home pc now struggles to get a signal a couple of rooms away. I think one of my sons more 'loveable' friends may have knocked it to the floor.
I have tried altering channels and I'm not aware of any new wireless devices, it seems a shame to just get another as it still works and the ethernet ports are ok. I 've tried resetting/switching off, i just wondered if anyone might have a suggestion as to how to mend it or perhaps boost the signal.

Many thanks
Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - rtj70
Does it have detachable aerials and have they come loose? But it might be a broken/weakened aerial connection and to trouble shoot this might not be worth your time. And you might find it needs replacing.

For around £40 I am not sure I'd try to fix it... my routers have usually broken for other reasons which I understand (Linksys used to have a power supply problem which I encountered!)
Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - billy25
I've just binned a Belkin router and wap adapter after exactly this problem, after trying to wirelessly connect a desktop to the router in the upstairs room. Sometimes it would connect straight from boot up, most of the time it couldn't even find a signal! - changed to Netgear tackle (DG834G v3 router) and all happy happy happy.
However, try a download of updated drivers/firmware from the belkin website, it may help, although not for me it didn't.

Billy

Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - oilrag
Are there any neighbours running a router with a hidden SSID? That was my situation and only last week we had a brief connection range problem where i suspect someone was looking at other Channels.
Channels are like musical chairs around here, some very visible and some hidden, personally I occupy channel 9 and stick it out if someone starts to interfere until they give up and move on.

All will be revealed in the Summer when we meet over the garden fences ;)

Regards

Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - rtj70
If you want to find out what other networks are out there and their channels (including those hiding their SSID) then a network "stumbler" program will find them. I've got one on my iPod and surprising how many open networks there are. You can get it for a PC too.
Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - eProf
Just a thought - Using mains wiring might be a way round wireless problems:

tinyurl.com/2p4r5s

It's certainly the way I would go if I moved my computers around the house or wanted to do my emails from a laptop in the garden!

Edited by Webmaster on 02/03/2008 at 15:22

Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - charlesb
These Netgear ones are older tech. Netgear now do HXD (200Mbps) and XE Series (85Mbps). I switched from Wireless to Homeplug about a month ago, using an XEPS103 and XE104. Plug and Play, not configuration necessary. I@m about to add a third one, but I'm going with a compatible Solwise product which can also be bought via Amazon. The Netgears are more expensive, and they've just recalled the XE103 with no direct equivalent replacement.

Brilliant, for Desktop's with a LAN Card. Wireless is good at times, but when you have multiple wireless networks about or move lots of data/stream then it falls over.

Link to Solwise products here, with lots of info on them A Pair will set you back around £50, whilst the Netgears are about £80.

www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm
Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - Stuartli
Solwise is an excellent retailer and also offers lots of advice and reviews on its website.
Weak signal strength Belkin 54 g wireless router - Baskerville
It's a good idea to buy Homeplug Powerline Specification compliant gear too--I don't think the Netgear stuff is, or at least not all of it. The reason being that over time you can mix and match products from different manufacturers on the same network. With Netgear you are stuck with Netgear. I now have four homeplug devices on my network, from three different manufacturers, bought over the last three years and they all work very well together. The most recent device I added is a Devolo wireless access point, which you just plug in anywhere--not cheap, but fantastic. It even has a regular ethernet socket on the bottom too.
Opening .wps files - drbe
I received an email with a .wps file attachment. I cannot open the attachment.

Any ideas please? As usual, my thanks in advance.
Opening .wps files - drbe
Sorry, I think I can answer my own question.

I downloaded Word Viewer 2003, with an update and a converter and I can now view my .wps file.

This was all done courtesy of Google. I should have done that first before asking the question.
Opening .wps files - Baskerville
If this MS Works file came from an individual person it would be friendly advice to them to have them save future documents as .rtf which is more or less universally accepted, or upgrade (free) to OpenOffice.org which makes decent .doc and .rtf files as well as the iso standard .odt. People don't realise that if they use wps for, say, a job application, it will harm their chances simply by making trouble--Works is after all flogged by makers of cheap PCs as 'Office Software" when in fact it is "Upgrade to Office" persuasionware.
Limited User Account - malteser
A poster on another forum I frequent has had a problem with "a nasty .exe file I downloaded"!
As part of the ongoing discussion re Spyware/Malware generally, I suggested the following.

For those who are using Windows XP - have you thought about using your PC on a day to day basis, running as a limited user?
Most people who are the sole users of their PC run with full administrative privileges as that's the default when setting up Windows on a new PC.
This means, of course, that any action at all may be carried out, such as installing programs and so on. This can be a problem if malware gets on board and attempts to install nasties on the PC.

If you run, on a day to day basis, as a limited user, there is`very little that can be done to change the configuration of your PC, including program installation,or running .exe files.

It's quite simple to arrange this.
First go to User Accounts from the control panel and create a new user account with administrative privileges. This will enable you to retain control and so on, using the new admin. account. You can install & un-install programs, do your disk defragging and so on using this account.
Log on as this new account and then change your existing account to a limited user.Re-boot and you will have a choice of which account to use. For normal surfing, emailing, word processing etc. your limited account will be fine.

Remember to log in and out of the accounts as appropriate and you will have increased your computer's security at no cost!
Roger
Costa del Sol, España.
Limited User Account - Citroënian {P}
Great advice Roger, Microsoft's own security people recommend exactly this.

Amazing thing though is the number of admins who run day to day with admin or domain admin rights, even when just reading emails or doing day to day stuff.

Vista attempted to address this with User Access Control but it's so cautious that is becomes a pain and gets turned off. In this respect, OS X is miles ahead of Windows, it asks when needed and is unobtrusive (Hi Baskerville!!)

Your post is good advice for anyone using Windows, and I'd say essential for anyone who has kids using their computer.

Lee
Limited User Account - Baskerville
Hi Lee

Yes, this is good advice. The problem with XP is that some programs need admin rights to run, including, in my experience, Microsoft Flight Sim, though that may have changed in more recent versions. In my opinion having used it a few times, Vista has fulfilled the old adage: "Those who don't understand Unix are destined to reinvent it badly". The first thing my daughter (aged 3) learned on the computer was how to log in using her name and password--she's a Linux user of course.
Netgear DG834PN/Apple Mac/AOL combination - Oz
Probably too many dimensions involved here, but here goes:
My Netgear DG834PN wireless router works flawlessly with my Windows (XP) PC. Is working right now as I type. The Internet is up and running immediately after bootup, every time. This however is after an update by AOL to their new broadband arrangments and AOL had to talk me through some key configuration changes to the router (PPPoE etc.) - and officially AOL don't support Netgear routers!

This has however compounded already-existing problems in achieving connection between the router and my Mac Pro. The only solution so far has been an Ethernet cable - i.e. definitely NON wireless. I get wacky contradictions like when asked for my WPA password, and I enter it (no chance of any typo), an error message says "Sorry, this password is invalid." And it's a perfectly basis password - only 'reasonably' long, no controversial characters, etc. I still get no connection, even with NO security.
Just wondered whether anyone had direct experience of Netgear+Apple?
Would be interested to learn what direction I should pursue next! No doubt Apple would prefer me to buy an Airport router ...

Oz (as was)
Netgear DG834PN/Apple Mac/AOL combination - Baskerville
I use Netgear access points with Macs and have done for years; a neighbour of mine has the same router as you and it works perfectly with his Mac. In fact I find Macs so compliant with all kinds of networks I have to be careful to switch airport off before I take my iBook out of the house--it connects to anything open. So I'd say it's not a Mac issue as such, but a configuration issue. Forget about the changes you made to the WAN side of things, they are not relevant.

Firstly, is the Mac actually seeing the wireless signal? Turn off the security on the router and unplug the ethernet cable to the Mac. Then on the taskbar of the Mac there is a symbol for signal strength. If airport is switched on and that's greyed out then it's not even seeing the router and you have a reception issue somewhere. Try toggling airport on and off (click on the taskbar symbol and select from the menu) and see if it picks it up. If the symbol is showing some bars, click on it and it will tell you the name of the network--you must unhide the SSID on the router too.

If it picks up the name of the network but is still not 'connecting' then you have a problem with assigning an IP address. In that case I would open system preferences, go into 'networking' and assign a fixed IP address on the Mac.

Problems with security settings are often to do with different versions of WPA, such as router using WPA2 and Mac using WPA-PSK or whatever. Make sure they are the same.

Then report back.
Netgear DG834PN/Apple Mac/AOL combination - Citroënian {P}
Oz

just a thought, is your Mac up to date with software updates? My MacBook Pro is pretty steady with wireless but successive updates on SWMBO's MacBook have variously affected the connection. Some of the updates made her wireless very unreliable. That said, it's 10.5.2 now and is fine.

Does it connect to other access points OK? Have you set MAC address filtering on the router, this would cause the described symptoms. Or do you have a dodgy static IP/gateway setting in the mac airport settings?

hth a little
Lee

Netgear DG834PN/Apple Mac/AOL combination - Oz
Thanks guys, your time and advice are much appreciated.
There is something quirky going on - AOL have updated and/or moved their broadband network, and gone 'PPPoE' (previously the router was configured for PPPoA) - my Mac does report regularly that it can't find a PPPoE server so I guess this must be at the root of the problem.
Credit to AOL, who (although officially not supporting Netgear routers) did take the time and trouble to talk me through a number of changes to the Netgear configuration and succeeded in getting the Windows PC up and running.
The security I have used for some months is WPA-PSK and as stated this is no problem to the MS Windows setup. On the Mac when I attempt to join my network and its password is asked for, I enter it character-perfect but after several seconds delay I get the 'Sorry ...... invalid' message. I have indeed tried without success to join the network with security disabled per the Netgear menu, but still failed, so I guess (as stated) I need to look at the PPPoE question.

Oz (as was)
Netgear DG834PN/Apple Mac/AOL combination - Baskerville
There seem to be different issues here. There is no reason at all why AOL's server should affect your ability to connect to the router wirelessly. And if you can use the Internet on the Mac when it uses a wired connection then there is no reason at all not to be able to do so wirelessly (barring some sort of hardware failure). Can you confirm that you can use the Internet on the Mac with a wired connection?

I would be inclined to go back to the Mac's network settings and clear out all the configurations you've been mucking around with and start again. For instance, I don't understand why it is looking for a PPPoE server when it is on a LAN--the router/modem is handling all that. Have you checked the box to make it attempt to dial up for some reason? Uncheck that for starters.
Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - hillman1 {p}
Hi All,

I have the above anti virus protection on my computer and have recently received a warning that my 'protection updates' were at risk as they were out of date. However when I click on the option to fix the problem it shows the progress bar to check for updates and then after a few minutes a message comes up saying there are no updates found and the Norton programme still keeps saying at risk.

Any ideas from the more computer literate than me???

{Someone obviously didn't take any notice of the 'Please note' message at the top of this thread. Post now moved to correct place within this thread}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/02/2008 at 00:34

Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - crunch_time
Get rid of Norton.

Get Avast! It's free and it works like a dream, with daily updates that work.

Thanks for the suggestion- is that free for a trial period or free full stop?
Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - Welliesorter
Avast is free but you have to register it.

AVG is also free and you don't.

Which you go for is just a matter of personal preference. I've tried both and much prefer AVG.

You should only have one antivirus program installed at any one time, but you can have more than one anti-spyware program. Consider AVG Antispyware, and the free version of Spyware Doctor available at www.google.com/pack .

Doubtless someone else can recommend a good free firewall.

Once you have antivirus, anti-spyware and a software firewall, you'll have the same functions as Norton and will no longer have to pay for updates. Don't be put off by the need to install more than one program. It's still likely to be less hassle than sticking with Norton!
Zone Alarm firewall (the free version) has done a good job for me over many years.

When you get round to dumping Norton (which I wouldn't have as a gift), there is a special routine for removing all the tentacles it has in your machine. Google 'removing norton' and it should direct you to the right place. Or perhaps someone on here can post a link?

Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - Stuartli
I wouldn't have Norton on my system if you paid me...:-)

Avast! is a free anti-virus utility - it has protected my system for a number of years very successfully.

ZoneAlarm (free) is a firewall and is equally as efficient - again I've been using it for severa years.

Both are updated as required.

The initial period for Avast! registration is approximately three months; if you register properly this is extended to around 14 months, although updates will overtake that period in about six months. You just update to the latest version.

Avast! also provides both verbal and written indication that it has automatically updated; the verbal information depends, obviously, on your speakers being switched on.

If you do install ZA, make sure that the Windows firewall is Disabled.

I also use SpywareBlaster, Search and Destrpy, Ad-Aware 2007 and SUPERAntispyware - all are very efficient, but as always, need updating as required, usually on a daily basis for anti-spyware.

Edited by Stuartli on 21/02/2008 at 23:34

Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - Dipstick
"I also use SpywareBlaster, Search and Destrpy, Ad-Aware 2007 and SUPERAntispyware - all are very efficient, but as always, need updating as required, usually on a daily basis for anti-spyware."

I'm interested in this. I wonder if I'm just lucky.

By implication, you are spending time and resource on maintaining four different programs, possibly on a daily basis, to deal with malware of various descriptions.

As an IT manager I've been working with (hundreds of) Windows Pcs (and others of course) for very many years. In all that time I think I've actually seen some malware hit a computer less than ten times, and never one of my own. Viruses are a different story - perhaps a hundred times - although again, I've never had one on my own pc.

At home I run a Windows box, and I casually run Adaware etc about once every three months, and to date none of them have ever found a thing to worry about.

Are you actually getting positive hits from all your antispyware software, and if you are, I wonder what you do to get malware that I don't?

Edited by Dipstick on 22/02/2008 at 08:38

>>and if you are, I wonder what you do to get malware that I don't?>>

Any instances of malware are extremely rare, along with viruses etc. So the coverage is clearly working...:-)

It's a well known fact that, for instance, Search and Destroy may/will discover something that Ad-Aware or similar will miss and vice-versa; SpywareBlaster aims to stop most nasties before they hit your system.

As I'm retired, the five minutes or so spent updating such utilities is no great hardship, whilst Avast! updates itself automatically and informs you that it has done so both verbally and in writing.

Note that all these prevention measures are entirely free of charge, along with the equally efficient ZoneAlarm firewall.....:-)

By the way, one of my offspring is an IT network support specialist and uses somel of the above mentioned utilities on his own home system, even though he could use paid-for alternatives.
Ah, don't misinterpret the thrust of my question. I wasn't questioning your choice to do the operations, I was wondering whether it was worthwhile, in the sense of "do you actually catch anything?"

As it seems you too only get something very rarely, it seems to me that my own choice of doing this irregularly with similar results (for clarity, when I do this I do use a number of products to cover all eventualities) means that for me I can safely choose not to spend daily time doing the (minimal) work.

I've also learned that you are not apparently doing something like p2p or something that I am not, which may have been a source of "bad stuff".

If you had said "I get malware every two days and by the way I download a lot of films/music and surf sites about hacking" or something then I might have drawn a different conclusion.

You can also argue that "Any instances of malware are extremely rare, along with viruses etc. So the coverage is clearly working...:-)" actually is similar to "I wear my anti tiger pyjamas and there are no tigers round here, so they are working".

Edited by Dipstick on 22/02/2008 at 09:32

Better safe than sorry is my motto, though I understand your points...:-)

As my system is connected to and used on the Internet for many hours a day, it seems sensible to take basic precautions.

Edited by Stuartli on 22/02/2008 at 09:59

Thanks for the suggestions- I will have a look at the various ones mentioned over the weekend.

Cheers All!

Nick
Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - jbif
a lot of films/music and surf sites about hacking" or something then I might have drawn a different conclusion.

Dipstick, sorry to disillusion you, but these days you need to be a lot more careful. For starters, see
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/21/itv_scareware_per.../
Users visiting the website of UK broadcaster ITV risk exposure to a scareware package. Malware-laced banner ads that lead to download sites for the Cleanator scare package have also been served up on the Radio Times website.
Related stories
Malware writers think global, act local (22 February 2008)
Web browsers on the front line of exploitation (15 February 2008)
Rogue ads infiltrate Expedia and Rhapsody (30 January 2008)
Beware of pickpockets and malware-laced banner ads (4 January 2008)
DoubleClick caught supplying malware-tainted ads (13 November 2007)
Thousands snared by malware warning from big-name websites (7 November 2007)
Yahoo feeds Trojan-laced ads to MySpace and PhotoBucket users (11 September 2007)

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/30/excite_and_rhapso.../
Expedia.com and Rhapsody.com are the latest name-brand websites to be found serving advertisements that try to install malware onto users' machines, security researchers said. The sites join a Rogue's Gallery of mainstream destinations that include MySpace, Excite, Blick, and CNN.com, which all have been caught carrying tainted ads over the past few months.

I am sure if you follow all the above stories and the multiple links from within them, you will find that Stuartli is indeed quite right to take a belt and braces approach.

I don't deny for one moment that such things are reported. What I am saying is that I simply don't get infected with the stuff.

Therefore either I am incredibly lucky or

My computer using habits ARE totally different to the norm or

It's not as easy as you might think to pick up malware or

The reports are exaggerated.

So I was asking if Stuartli (or indeed anyone else) DOES get infected more often than I do?
Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - normd2
"My computer using habits ARE totally different to the norm or..."
tell me your habits and I'll tell you mine :))))

but seriously since changing to a router and AVG I've had no problems - other than the MS inflicted one called VISTA - now there's a big bug for you....
From my experience, and anecdotes of others, Adaware is not the package it once was and is hardly worth bothering with today.

Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - Robbie
I use my PC quite heavily and I don't get any bad downloads.

I used to subscribe to Zone Alarm Pro but stopped using it because of the problems I had getting on certain sites. One of these was a respectable forum, and Zone Alarm just would not let me log on. Since ditching ZA I have used the Windows firewall and downloaded Windows Defender. I also use AVG and Cookiewall.

I can certainly recommend the use of all of these, and I never have to look for an update for any of them.
Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - hxj

I find all this highly amusing. Our PCs at home all have AVG free loaded and .... um ........ that's it.

The firewall is provided by the router and ....... um .......... that's it.

Windows firewall/defender are all turned off.

Occassionally I download something 'good' and scan the PC, nothing shows up and so I take it all off again!

Been operating like this on a 'permanent on basis' for at least 10 years, never had a major issue.

>>So I was asking if Stuartli (or indeed anyone else) DOES get infected more often than I do?>>

I prefer to believe that I DON'T get infected because I take basic measures to prevent any problems.

But there's only one way to genuinely find out if they work and I'm not going to even attempt it...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 22/02/2008 at 15:21

Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - knowwun
I prefer to believe that I DON'T get infected because I take basic measures to
prevent any problems.

You dont take basic measures. Frankly running all of

>I also use SpywareBlaster, Search and Destrpy, Ad-Aware 2007 and SUPERAntispyware

is not sensible but pure paranioa.

>>is not sensible but pure paranioa.>>

Not really - I explained that one might nab malware that another misses, whilst SpywareBlaster runs in the background.

In any case I merely keep them updated and run either S and D or AdAware 2007 once a week or so.

I've had to sort out too many friends and family's systems over the years that have been badly infected because suitable measures hadn't been put in place, to leave it to chance.

Perhaps you should read all my postings rather than just one...:-)
Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - knowwun
I've had to sort out too many friends and family's systems over the years that
have been badly infected because suitable measures hadn't been put in place to leave it to chance.

And I have many many friends who are not so paranoid and who have never loaded these measures and I have never had to sort them out.
Perhaps you should read all my postings rather than just one...:-)

How do you know I didnt?

Dress it up how you like. Running all of those is pure paranioa. Or the sign of unhealthy surfing habits.

>>Or the sign of unhealthy surfing habits.>>

I take very, very great expectation to that offensive remark.

Not only is it completely unnecessary, it has absolutely no foundation.

I'm a semi-retired journalist - that's why I spend a lot of time on-line, as well as contributing to two or three well-known websites, plus others concerned with issues local to my area.

As for your conception of "pure paranoia", how I protect my system is entirely my personal business.

Edited by Stuartli on 22/02/2008 at 19:26

Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - Baskerville
It would onlt be paranoia if it was SUPERantispyware _Pro_
Thanks for the suggestions. I have to say I didn't expect it to get as personal as it has and I don't see the need to make personal remarks that others find offensive. It really isn't worth it.... Can I suggest we leave it where it is now and let the next topic take over!
Norton Internet Security 2008- Update Problems - Welliesorter
I've often been asked to sort out people's PC problems and I've very rarely enountered one with an actual hardware fault.

The common factors seem to be, use of Internet Explorer, out-of-date anitivirus software, lack of anti-spyware software, and no Windows updates.

Things have improved in the past couple of years as a lot of security settings are now enabled by default.

I know a lot of people who see a legitimate warning to update something and always dismiss it as an annoyance.

Another issue is that new PCs tend to be sold with a trial version of some security package or other. This is fine for the first 90 days or so but many people understandably resent paying for updates after that and fail to replace the software with something else. The less knowedgable don't realise that most of what's needed can be found free of charge.

I don't see anything wrong with installing several security programs, as long as they don't conflict with each other. The general rule is more than one antivirus or software firewall is a bad idea but more than one anti-spyware is fine.

Recent reviews of anti-spyware programs show that none finds every threat and many deal with a shockingly low proportion. It therefore seems reasonable to install more than one as they all have different strengths and weaknesses. The effort and maintenance overhead isn't that great and I don't think this is a sign of paranoia or unsavoury habits.
Welliesorter and hillman 1

Absolutely spot on in both instances.

Edited by Stuartli on 22/02/2008 at 23:40

VW's new website. - oldgit
Anyone here tried to access, easily, the new VW website www.vw.co.uk?

This new site is now bandwidth hungry and full of flash (literally). As a dial-up user it is virtually unusable for my purposes, which is a shame as any information I shall need now or in the future will have to be obtained from local dealers, with all that implies.
VW's new website. - Stuartli
As you are a dial-user I can fully understand your frustration (I was on dial-up at home, rather than work, from 1996 to around 2002-03) - yet on broadband it loads up pretty rapidly.

But I must say that it's certainly been developed into a very impressive website from both a technical and informative point of view from only a comparatively short time ago.

In fairness, it must be pointed out that broadband represents the majority of ISP connections these days.

Edited by Stuartli on 22/02/2008 at 23:48

VW's new website. - oldgit
In fairness it must be pointed out that broadband represents the majority of ISP connections
these days.

Yes, I realise that I am in the minority these days and should take the plunge. However I am quite happy with dial-up, as I don't download large files etc. although that may be due to the fact that I know it is impractical for me so to do. I am just annoyed that this particular website is so user unfriendly now, for my needs.
VW's new website. - rtj70
It's surprising how cheaply broadband can be on the lower tiers of ISP offerings. I bet it's no more than dialup as they don't want people using banks of their modems over phone lines.

Right back in 2001 when I first got broadband (at 512Kbs) it was so much better and shared it between 3 PCs back even then. If you had sky you could pay a one off fee and get their broadband for nothing per month.