Mercedes imports from India - Cardew
Some while ago (2002/3?) there was a thread about some new Mercs on sale in one of the big Car Supermarkets(Trade Sales at Slough?)

They were assembled in India and I believe they were E220s in white - at a time when the E220 was not sold in UK or even Europe. They were riduculously cheap - £10k ?? I was tempted to buy and other BR members also expressed interest.

Anyway I can't find the thread on search.

Does anyone have any further details please, and in particular any info about their resale value and how reliable they have been.
Mercedes imports from India - Dynamic Dave
Anyway I can't find the thread on search.

This the one?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11540

Also found this

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=11...0

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/01/2008 at 19:00

Mercedes imports from India - Ruperts Trooper
I think I'd rather have M-B's built in India - preferable to being built in the US, surely.
Mercedes imports from India - Cardew
Thanks DD.

I thought I had contributed to one thread - but perhaps I didn't. Nice to see Growler's comments, sad that he has gone.

It seems like those Mercs might have been a good buy, but I got put off by some comments I read.

I suspect a lot have been shipped back out to the Far East where a lot of old RHD Mercs seem to finish up.
Mercedes imports from India - ajit
To give you some history on those w124's. Mercedes came into India with Tata's and made a huge tactical error in launching the w124 a few months after launching the w210 globally. They forgot the fact that the person who could afford to buy a merc also travels a lot.

Cars were either E220 or E250 in black, white, blue or silver / manual or auto. That, along with a recession during the late '90's led to a larg inventory. Some came via trade sales. A lot went of diesels went to Singapore to be used as taxi's.

To cut a long story short, Mercedes took full control and launched the locally assembled S class - something radical - it changed the image of the company as people clearly got the message that Mercedes will now sell up to date cars and such a sophisticared car was never availalble officially before

India assembles - C200K,C220D, E280E E280cdi, S350L, S320D

They will import anything else at a csot!