Replacing MPV - Fiat Ulysse anyone? - AdrianM
SWMBO is determined to change her ageing Galaxy and has seen an 03 Ulysse JTD she likes the look of (no accounting for taste) for aound £6k. Anyone got experience of these cars? I understand they are basically C8/806s which HJ doesn't seem to approve of - does this also mean the JTD is an HDI? Whatcar.com recommends the JTD as the one to go for though we could get a petrol version of same age/price with half the miles on it. That said mileage isn't too important to us as we will buy based on the overall condition of the car.

I am tempted to go with another Galaxy as it has been a fine, does-exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin sort of car - though it does seem boring to the buy the same car again (this would be a first for me). MUST be a 7 seater in Galaxy mold (Previa/Voyager no good due to bench seats).

Any thoughts, experience with the Fiat?
Replacing MPV - Fiat Ulysse anyone? - adverse camber
you're correct about the c8/807 - its the same car and it is an hdi.

forum at www.eurovan2.com/forum/

Main issue seems to be the FAP emissions system and people not understanding it.

Later is better - there were some issues on the early ones with things like electric doors etc.

(I'vebeenlooking at C8's myself)

£6K should put you in an 04
Replacing MPV - Fiat Ulysse anyone? - Collos25
Autobild in Germany have just awarded this the golden carrot for 2007 for the worst car. apparently there is a design fault on the front suspension /steering that costs mega bucks to fix plus it has the record for the most warranty claims.

www.autobild.de/artikel/kummerkasten-bilanz-2007_5...l
Replacing MPV - Fiat Ulysse anyone? - boxsterboy
We've had a C8 2.0 HDI Auto from new (nearly 4 years). No front suspension/steering problems on ours yet.

Prior to the C8 we had an early Sharan, not Carat trim level, but it certainly was a carrot! By far the most unreliable car I've ever had and seriously dented any faith I had in VW/Audi group cars.

Our C8 is used for local trips and longer runs to Europe and averages 30 mpg (it is heavy and an auto). The sliding rear doors are a MAJOR plus - ours are electric, not sure if all Ulysses are? But I would not worry if they are manual as the sensors play up occasionally. The rear wash/wipe tube has come loose a couple of times and taken out the rear (electric) door latch and parking sensors - both fine after allowing to dry out. We tend not to use the rear wash now. The rear kiddy mirror can sometimes set off the alarm if left folded down. We have had no mechanical problems but a few minor electrical glitches, as you can see. We have considered updating, but are not sure what we would replace it with, as SWMBO insists on the sliding doors which limits the choice slightly!

The large dash, windscreen and walk-through passage to the rear make it a very relaxing and conmfortable family car. Suspension, handling, steering about on a par with Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra.
Replacing MPV - Fiat Ulysse anyone? - AdrianM
Thanks for replies. Well, she just couldn't wait for me and bought herself a C8 (blowing the £6k budget - typically). I won't get to see it til I am home at the weekend but she sounds excited by it. She couldn't face the thought of having a Fiat sitting outside the house so bought a Citroen? Women - will I ever understand them!
Replacing MPV - Fiat Ulysse anyone? - boxsterboy
The C8 should hold its value slightly better than the Fiat, partly on account of their dealers being better than Fiat's (not difficult!)

Hope you enjoy the C8 - like I said, we are struggling to find a replacement, which I guess is a good indicator of how useful the car is.