1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - bravosto
hi
Q about A6 1.8T..oil light started flashing,lose of power, topped up oil-started smoking, knocking/rattling sound from engine -please help!

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/12/2007 at 22:27

1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - Screwloose

Sounds like a complete disaster. How low was the oil? Was the coolant low too?

These units don't like running out of oil; they usually seize exhaust cams and snap the chain. Repair is virtually impossible; an exchange unit works out at £3700 fitted including the turbo.
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - bravosto
coolant was still ok, oil was about min. some said turbo coz of smoke, some said oil pump and tappets. thats expensive!
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - Screwloose

I've seen sludge blocked oil pick-ups and the plug come out of the back of the filter mounting on these.

If the light was on for any time - let alone a loss of power and smoke - then it doesn't sound good.
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - pyruse
When did you last check the oil?
If it's run low enough for the low pressure light to come on the engine is porbably toast, especially if it is making nasty noises.
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - Mapmaker
The oil light is (presumably) a low pressure light; not a low level light. For the level to drop sufficiently that the low PRESSURE light comes on means that you were probably well below the minimum level.
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - Collos25
tinyurl.com/2m66zt {link to ebay shortened}

This should solve your problems

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/01/2008 at 10:07

1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - Brit_in_Germany
Mapmaker, bravosto said the oil was about min so there would to me appear no reason to guess that the oil leve was "probably well below the minimum level". I would have thought there could be other reasons for the oil pressure falling, e.g. pump failure, blockage.
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - Altea Ego
either way the engine sounds like its terminal
------
< Ulla>
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - Roly93
I've seen sludge blocked oil pick-ups and the plug come out of the back of
the filter mounting on these.

This is a reasonably well known problem on the VaG 1.8T engine, if oil changes in the past were less than frequent, and less than high quality oils have been used. Im afraid the prognosis isn't good, and is probably - new engine really.
1.8t knocking sound after oil light. - anon
whats the situation on the car mate? have you had it looked at and fixed ?