Clutch Life - Cardew
Despite owning several cars each driven over 100K miles I have not had to replace a clutch since a Beetle 30+ years ago; come to think of it I don?t know anyone who has had a clutch replaced either.

My kids, like others of their generation, were all taught to hold the car with the clutch just biting i.e. slipping for hill starts etc. My father would have died if they had done that to his car.

Now the basic design of the clutch mechanism hasn't changed fundamentally has it? With far more powerful engines generating more torque, and apparent abuse, why do clutches last so much longer?
Or do they?

C
Clutch Life - BrianW
I have never had to replace a clutch either.
When slipping a clutch e.g. on a hill start, it is only for a second or two, usually.
The engine power or torque does not enter into the equation, the slip time/effort (= wear) depends on the weight of the car. Modern sports hatches are usually light.
The abuse that I see does not usually depend on clutch slip, rather hard acceleration with the clutch fully engaged.
HTH
Clutch Life - jc
Like disc pads they are not made of asbestos any longer;that's why you frequently have to replace discs before the pads are worn out.
Clutch Life - TrevorP
OK, so now I know why brake discs wear (because the pads don't, and somethings got to give).

BUT if (non-asbestos) clutch plates are now not wearing, what is?