Car stereo/auto electrical help needed. - krs one
This one has got me stumped. Some time ago I managed to spill a cup of coffee onto the dashboard of my Focus ,and a small amount entered the stereo via the CD slot. A problem soon became apparent. One rear speaker would either not work at all or would just crackle , the other produced sound , but was very crackly. One front speaker became crackly also , but if the fader was set to all front , no rear the front speakers were fine.
I lived with this for a while until I managed to source a brand new stereo from Ebay for a decent price.
Having just fitted the new stereo I am equally amazed and dismayed to find that the problems are exactly as they were before.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to cure this?

Car stereo/auto electrical help needed. - Screwloose

Replace the two dodgy speakers?
Car stereo/auto electrical help needed. - Simon
Or find the bad connection in the wiring.

I think that the cup of coffee spillage and the stereo problems are just coincidence.
Car stereo/auto electrical help needed. - krs one
Cheers for the suggestions , but the problems began immeadiately after the coffee incident, and if it was a speaker problem why does the quality of the front speakers depend on the fader settings?
Car stereo/auto electrical help needed. - Simon
Well if you've got a brand new stereo and the problem remains then either the new stereo is duff and is broken in exactly the same manner as your old one (unlikely), or the stereo wasn't actually the problem in the first place and there is something else amiss - wiring fault or speakers.
Car stereo/auto electrical help needed. - mfarrow
Check each speaker in turn by fading and balancing to each one, until you find the one(s) that's dodgy. Check the connection and wiring and replace the speaker(s) as necessary.

In the meantime, just run the front speakers only if they're OK - I imagine the crackling is a form of clipping which won't do the speakers any good.

--------------
Mike Farrow