2002 - dashboard cut out when cold - pomegran
Hi,

My Vectra has had a problem over the last month. Hope somebody can help.

When cold, my dashboard cuts out about 1-3 times. When I say "cut out", the lighting stays on but the dials, radio, indicators etc. all cut out. The indicators don't work and I don't think the brake lights work either. This cures itself when I switch the engine off and restart it.

After about 20-30 minutes (i.e. when warm), the problem goes away.

I have asked Vauxhall and they said another customer recently had it and replacing the dashboard didn't help and they still don't know what the problem is.

Has anybody seen this or got any suggestions?

Regards
Mark

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/12/2008 at 18:26

2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - Screwloose
Mark

All those systems are controlled or timed by the body control module. If it's not storing codes and the CAN system isn't flagging a comms problem, indicating a feed-loss fault, then it's possible that it's the BCM itself.

Frankly; this GM CAN system is such a pig's breakfast, at least on the early ones, that it's going to be hard for the dealer to know what to change.

Worse; your dealer sounds totally at a loss already.
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - Number_Cruncher
>>Worse; your dealer sounds totally at a loss already.

That's entirely beleivable. From talking to an ex-colleague at the Vauxhall garage where I used to work, these CAN systems are beyond the skills of over 90% of Vauxhall mechanics, and most of these faults from a wide area are now brought to him to sort out, because there's no-one in the other (larger!) garages who has a clue.

>>Frankly; this GM CAN system is such a pig's breakfast, at least on the early ones

True - I've watched one of these early systems being interrogated by him, and the number of spurious error messages bouncing around on the bus make finding the real problem difficult - the error reporting has been improved on later models, making fault finding a bit easier.

I've seen that it's also worthwhile, before getting too involved, to probe the bus itself with a multimeter to make sure that there aren't any shorts, and that the correct termination resistors are in place.

Number_Cruncher
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - pomegran
Well, having spoke to them they said they had called Vauxhall directly to help out and even they couldn't help. In fact, the dealer said, and I quote "Vauxhall said they new the electrics weren't great on this model and year". Great, thanks then.

Shame, because the car has been great (it's done 165,000 miles) and this is causing me some issues, potentially life threatening (especially if I have no brake lights!)

So, where is the "bus"? I'm not technically minded so a bit of probing is about my limit!

Thanks for the reply.

Mark
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - elekie&a/c doctor
This sounds like a classic case of the Cim (column interface module) failure.This is the unit that houses all the electronics behind the steering wheel.Allow about (wait for it!!) £600 to fix it,which is probably half the value of the car.hth
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - Number_Cruncher
>>So, where is the "bus"?

Well, there are three fitted!, high, medium and low speed. The body module is on the low speed bus, which is the one of the three buses which can't be probed for resistance (although you can check its operating voltage)

The CIM is one of the modules (the display is the other) where more than one bus meet up in one module.

The buses are accessible via the diagnostic socket - but if you don't have a good wiring diagram to identify which pin is which, you won't get far.

My comment about checking the simple aspects of bus operation before becoming immersed was directed more towards you asking your garage to double check, rather than for you to begin doing some DIY - it soon becomes very complicated, and without being able to read the messages being passed back and forth along each bus itself, you won't get far - sorry.

Number_Cruncher
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - MichaelDymond
Hi all,

My Vectra C 02 Plate has been doing this for the last few weeks. (dash cutting out on cold mornings and needs the key turned off/on again)

Have pluged it into AutoData and apparently this is a "common known" fault with Vectra C's made before 2003. The ABS Bus thingy (behind the battery) has a plug which is poorly designed on these early models (i think) or at least has poor connection.

This ABS bus links to the dash radio and of course ABS, when it "Goes blank" in the cold mornigns you will prob see the battery light and the abs light come on!

AutoData says to check the plug to the abs bus thing (behind car battery) for damage and if its bad replace it. (Mine is fine, i.e. no rust). You could try contact spray on this plug just to make sure everything is ok.

There is also a note on there saying if you have an < 52/03 plate Vectra C and you DO NOT HAVE traction control, that you should cut wire three from the plug. My first througt was "Hell NO" but the problem has not gone away so i may try the cut this weekend!

Looking at the wiring diagram wire 3 only goes to the traction control computer, which of course i don't have so i am thinking this will be fine. The problem is wire three is part of a big loom so will be very difficult for me to find and just cut that one.

PLEASE! no one try this on my advice! as i don't no anything about engines ect.. but anyone that does (mechanic or VX dealer) could look into the possiblilty of this being a fix. I will give it ago anyway and let you all know how i get on.
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - MichaelDymond
Took plug apart and terminal 3 was blank!

Back to the drawing board, any ideas anyone?

Vectra C 2002, Dashboard goes blank and battery + abs light come on when driving.
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - roger321
please could you inform how you resolved the problem
thanks
what was your outcome for this problem as i am having same problems.
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - topbloke
well known within vauxhall techs, it needs a new abs module connector, this comes complete with about a foot of wires that need to be spliced into the abs harness, basically the connector pins are weak and don't grip the pins within the module i have the part number and can give you the bullitin number so the dealers can help,about £30 will cover the parts about a hours labour max

93177022 harness
93177928 cable
90543865 connector x2
9119561 connector x2

field remedy number 1537
thanks had above done but problem still there showing codes as u2105 u2108 u2111 u2139 can someone please help me thankyou
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - topbloke
if you post the engine code i will post the descriptions for the fault codes may help !
engine code y20dth 17d02132 thanks
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - ironjoe
rear elctrical control unit (REC) in boot on left hand panel.
2002 Vectra dashboard cut out when cold - Dani c

Hi I'm new here and have a 52 vectra. The speedo and all other dials and lights have been going off and on whilst I've been out. I tried the reset the milometer trick and the turn the engine off and on. But only on some occasions this will work. I checked the fuses and they all seem fine

Any advice please? First car and new driver. Thanks