Engine Bay Cleaning - Experiences. - rg
Steam, high-pressure water, or Cillit Bang?

Some folks don't recommend pressure washers.

Surely steam could have the same effect, that is, getting moisture to where it shouldn't be.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

r
Engine Bay Cleaning - Experiences. - SpamCan61 {P}
Don't.
Engine Bay Cleaning - Experiences. - Number_Cruncher
>>Don't.

Couldn't agree more. Cleaning of engine bays causes far more damage than leaving well alone.

Number_Cruncher
Engine Bay Cleaning - Experiences. - stuartl
I say DONT as well.

I had my old Rover 820i steam cleaned once and the electrics were never the same again. (As if Rover electrics needed any help to fail)

If I ever clean under the bonnet it is when I have enough time to do it slowly and methodically using minimal water and certainly nothing that creates a strong jet of water or steam.
Engine Bay Cleaning - Experiences. - rg
Well, I'll take that as a "no" then... :-)

Thanks, folks.

I've the timing belt to do, tappets to set, EGR to blank off, and a PAS union has been weeping slightly, spraying a thin coat of red around.

I'm always impressed by clean engine bays of used cars in a showroom (but less than impressed that I can't see what's been leaking), yet spraying anything watery around the alternator and sundry electrics seems mightily wrong to me...

r
Engine Bay Cleaning - Experiences. - Kevin
Best to leave well alone but if you absolutely, absolutely must then brush off the loose stuff before using gunk (or similar) applied to small areas with a 2" paintbrush and then washed off with one of those plant spray bottles.

Use plenty of rags and newspaper around each application to catch the muck and water and make sure that none of it gets on electrical components or connectors. Dry everything with clean rags before moving on to the next area.

Steam cleaning and high pressure washers might be OK for industrial/agricultural diesels but are a sure fire recipe for electrical problems on consumer vehicles.

Kevin...