Computer Related Questions - Volume 138 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 139 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 138. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Problem with Internet Explorer scripts - mauro
Hello everybody, i am new here. Sorry for my english, i am italian.
I have elsawin 3.30 but i am having big problems using it.
Almost every page get me an error "internet explorer scripts".
I run it on windows 2000 ....updated...but i don't think system is the problem.
I already tried to re-install it but always the same errors.
For example: if i go to electrical data not a single page is working, always the same error.
Do you think it is something about corrupted data??
Problem with Internet Explorer scripts - Pugugly {P}
Download Firefox...!
Explorer hanging - daveyjp
Out of the blue Explorer is finding an error and closing down. From the tech report the offending file is "83e0_appcompat.txt" which sits in a temp file in the settings folder. The first four letters of the file name do change each time it hangs.

System restore worked for a while, but it has re-occured.

Any ideas? Or advice to resolve?

{Moved to correct place in thread, as per the PLEASE NOTE message at the top - DD}
Explorer hanging - Stuartli
Try running Chkdsk (you'll have to schedule it to run on an immediate reboot) by right clicking on your hard drive letter in My Computer>(hard drive) Properties>Tools>Error Checking.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Explorer hanging - Stuartli
If this doesn't work, try typing:

sfc /scannow (note the space)

into the Run box to allow Windows File Protection to check for corrupted or missing files.

You may/will require your OS disk to be handy.
XP Help & Support Centre - devices "not supported" - cheddar
Help and Support Centre in XP Pro:

Start > Help and Support Centre > Use tools to view your computer information > My computer information > View the status of my system hardware and software .....

..... reports the "Status" for my nVidia 8600GTS video card and Creative x-fi Xtreme Musuc sound card as "not supported" and recommends a driver update however both have the latest drivers from the respective manufacturers sites.

All is working though any ideas why the "not supported" messages? Could be a signed driver issue.

Thanks.
XP Help & Support Centre - devices "not supported" - cheddar
Sorted, just allowed Windows to look for the latest drivers, even though they were installed already.
pages cascading - from vol 137 - billy25
Was "browsing" this morning, saw this and thought of you drbe!

don't know if it will be any help to you, or if you've sorted it yet, but it's an option for you to try anyway.

Billy

Restoring a hijacked browser
The following six tips can help restore your browser's settings:

1. Stop cascading pop-up windows.

If a seemingly endless number of pop-up windows appear on your screen, you'll probably want to stop the deluge first. To do this in Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 while using Internet Explorer:

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, click Task Manager, and then click the Processes tab.

Click IEXPLORE.EXE, and then click the End Process button.

This closes all instances of Internet Explorer. Then you can re-open the program to continue browsing as usual. To help prevent future attacks, you should also have a pop-up blocker turned on. To turn on the pop-up blocker in Internet Explorer 7:

Click Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Privacy tab.

In the Pop-up Blocker box, select the Block pop-ups check box. Click OK.

If you still experience the other effects of a hijacked Web browser, try the following:

2. Install preventive software such as the kinds mentioned in the preceding Preventing browser hijacks section. Many browser hijacking programs can be identified and removed by downloading, installing, and running these programs.

3. Run the malicious software removal tool. This can catch some, but not all, kinds of hijacking software.

4. Reset Internet Explorer settings. If you're using Internet Explorer and your home page has been changed, you can often reset it yourself.

? Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

? Open Internet Explorer.

? Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.

? Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

? In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

? When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

? Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

5. Disable add-ons. Many browser hijackings come from add-ons, also known as ActiveX controls, browser extensions, browser helper objects, or toolbars. These items can improve your experience on a Web site by providing multimedia or interactive content, such as animations. However, some add-ons can cause your computer to stop responding or display content that you don't want, such as pop-up ads.

To learn how to disable add-ons in Windows Vista or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), read How do browser add-ons affect my computer?

6. Removing unwanted programs with the Add/Remove feature

If you're ready to try some advanced removal methods, the Microsoft Help and Support article Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software provides additional steps you can take, including how to use the Add/Remove feature, the built-in program remover, and the program finder in Windows Explorer.

7. Empty the Recycle Bin when you've finished these steps, especially if you've removed an unwanted program. Then restart your computer.

pages cascading - from vol 137 - drbe
Why thank you kindly!

At least that will give me something to work my way through.
windows 98se installer probs - billy25
Afternoon all,

I've started recently having a problem installing certain programs (adobe reader for example) the instalation wizard starts, then a pop-up "windows installer" dialogue box opens with the message: "windows installer has terminated early" then another one appears saying " an i/o error occured due to a thread exit", when "ok" is pressed, the total installation closes down. Tis very strange and annoying! has any-one any ideas please.

Thanks
Billy
ASUS ACPI Cneter (sic) how to get rid? - JH
A window, apparently designed by a 2 year old and proclaiming itself to be "ASUS ACPI Cneter" (yes, honest) popped up on booting earlier today. My first reaction was "virus" but some research shows it's genuine. The window is so badly designed that there is not even an "X" to shut it down. Task manager got rid of it but now when I boot, there's no daffy window but there's a task there "ASUS ACPI Cneter" apparently doing very little.

I've checked the web, I've looked at the ASUS web site and I've not got anywhere. I've checked msconfig - no sign of anything in there from ASUS. I'll plead the usual; "it wasn't there before", "I haven't touched anything, honest guv" - so how do I get rid of the darned thing?

Thanks,
JH
Problem switching between forums on here - Boggy
Never thought I'd end up in here, but I'm at the end of me tether.....
When clicking between 'discussion' and 'technical' as one does, it takes ages for the page to load sometimes, and even says 'done' at the bottom left corner of the screen. When quite clearly it hasn't 'done' anything. Refreshing just produces the same result: a white screen. I have to click the back button several times and go back a few pages to free things up again. Tried 'disk cleanup' facility, no help! WGO?

{subject header amended - DD}
Problem switching between forums on here - Pugugly {P}
Which browser ?
Problem switching between forums on here - Boggy
IE version 6, XP Home.......
Problem switching between forums on here - Fullchat
Was having the same problems until I changed to 'Firefox' as my browser. Maybe IE has become corrupted but I cant be bothered to remove it and reload to test the theory.
--
Fullchat
Problem switching between forums on here - billy25
unfortunately, I.E is an integeral part of the windows xp operating system, and unlike win 98 it cant just be removed and re-installed, or repaired by a simple mouse click. you can repair it with registry tweaks (not recommended) or sometimes by running xp's file checker program:

start--?run--? sfc /scannow then click on ok. (note space before the / ).
if that don't work it will probably be easier to re-install xp OVER the previous installation, this way you shouldn't lose any personal data.
A more detailed explanation can be found here:

tinyurl.com/yw5yfo
Problem switching between forums on here - cheddar
If using IE6 then simply download IE7, it is great.
Problem switching between forums on here - normd2
I'm running IE6 on this work laptop and have no problems with any other website - it's just this one that causes grief as described above and earlier.
Problem switching between forums on here - Dynamic Dave
I'll mention it to Khoo Systems, in case it's anything to do with recent site alterations.
Problem switching between forums on here - oldgit
I'm running IE6 on this work laptop and have no problems with any other website
- it's just this one that causes grief as described above and earlier.

It's so refreshing to hear that other people are having problems with this website and this website ONLY!!
I must admit that since this trouble started, about three weeks ago this Wednesday (or thereabouts) things have improved somewhat and seems to depend on the time of day.

I think that there it is something to do with the way that the website is rendered - there seems to be a lot of 'flash' in operation and I can always tell, now, when I am going to get the annoying 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem...........' etc.

I cannot find another website that gives this problem, however it has always taken an eternity to load - approx. 15 to 19 seconds on dial-up - quite extraordinary!
Problem switching between forums on here - Baskerville
IE6 does things in a very non-standard way and requires a lot of effort on the part of designers to make pages work properly with it. IE7 is better, but the browsers that work best to agreed standards are Safari, Firefox, Opera and the rest, though I think only Safari is fully "Acid2 Test" compliant. It could be that since IE6 has now been replaced that Khoo Systems has decided not to put a lot of effort into supporting it. Or else IE6 support is added on later, which might explain why it's improving. I don't blame them.

Take a look here:

www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

Of course Microsoft doesn't want us to have properly standardized software or file formats, because that would expose it to real competition. The company would rather we adopted its own formats as standard and is prepared to play very dirty to keep us at the teat. See here:

news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39288959,00...m
Problem switching between forums on here - normd2
you're missing my point - NO other website causes the problems this one does! If it wasn't for the wealth of valuable information and entertaining reading I'd have given up long ago. I have the same issues whether I'm on IE6 on an old XP laptop here or on my Vista pc with Firefox at home.
No I'm not missing your point. Most websites are coded with IE6 as the primary aim. This one has been substantially revised very recently. Of course this is speculation. If you're having the same problems with Firefox on a different machine then I wonder if there is something common to both machines that is getting in the way (some kind of security software?). This site does carry a lot of pop-up ads apparently and of course they depend on everyone dealing with them in the same way and having the right settings/software available.

For the record this site works fine for me with Firefox.
You cynic Baskerville!
IE6 does things in a very non-standard way and requires a lot of effort on
the part of designers to make pages work properly with it. IE7 is better but
the browsers that work best to agreed standards are Safari Firefox Opera and the rest

That misses the point, IE6 and IE7 are around 90% of the market, of the rest a good few % are earlier versions of IE still in use.

So IE is the standard, and it is up to web developers to make sure that their sites work with IE.

Problem switching between forums on here - GregSwain
My computer runs both Ubuntu and XP, and I have trouble viewing this site in IE when I'm using XP - it usually just closes the window. Firefox is fine on both OSs, but normally I use Opera in Ubuntu and never have a problem.

MS uses a lot of dirty tricks (that's why I've migrated to Linux), but surely making a browser that can't show a well-put-together website isn't going to win them any friends. If you're having trouble with IE, download either Firefox, Opera, or Flock. They're far better browsers anyway.

Cynical? Moi?
That misses the point IE6 and IE7 are around 90% of the market of the
rest a good few % are earlier versions of IE still in use.

The stats for a small site I look after (about 3,000 unique visitors a month) show that the two IEs, 6 and 7 are running about equal at 30-35% each. Firefox is knocking on the door of 20% and Safari is close to 10%, almost entirely on Macs. There were a handful of others ranging from Opera through to Omniweb, Konqueror, and Lynx. Last month there was even one visitor using Firebird, Firefox's pre- release version. From this I deduce two things:

1. IE does not have the dominance it once did. Not by a long way. And the fact that the two IEs are split further removes the argument for "standardising" on IE since IE7 is much more standards compliant than IE6 and thus (I am told) less effort for designers.

2. Browser usage varies between audiences and my site is no doubt skewed towards freelancers and arty types who get to choose the best tool for the job rather than the one that came with the IT contract and is the only one that works on the corporate intranet. A site that took a lot of visitors from corporate networks would no doubt be different.
>>A site that took a lot of visitors from corporate networks would no doubt be different. >>

Likewise the vast majority of consumers hence the 90% figure being about right.
The stats just don't bear out 90% any more. It's not just me:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Note that the best figure IE has for a mid-2007 measure (split between all versions) is 84% and falling. Some show as low as 66%, which is closer to my experience. And yes I checked against the originating stats to confirm Wikipedia is accurate.
Problem switching between forums on here - oldgit
This is all very interesting to you IT experts out there but for people such as myself, who came to computers very late in life, I find it very annoying that an entertaining website such as this throws up or exposes weaknesses in my IE6 browser which may or not be corrupted.

Anyway, just for ONE website which I can probably live without, some of the time, I'll still stay with IE 6 which performs admirably for every other website I visit daily.
Problem switching between forums on here - daveyjp
I have no problems with IE6 or IE7. The problem I asked about above was on an IE7 machine and this machine sometimes comes up with a 'page unavailable' message, something that never happens on the IE6 machine.

BTW I solved the IE7 problem by resetting IE7. Bit of a pain as some IE7 add ons were wiped (Google desktop and the like), but all is working fine now.

If I do find problems I tend to use Browzar in emergencies (thats what I used to get to this site to ask the question). It's a very stripped out browser accepts no ccokies, favourites, histories etc and won't download any software so it is very stable.
Problem switching between forums on here - J Bonington Jagworth
"Anyway, just for ONE website which I can probably live without, some of the time, I'll still stay with IE 6"

You can have both - they're not mutually exclusive. I've got four browsers* under Windows and two under Linux.

*five if you count K-Meleon on my laptop...
Problem switching between forums on here - Stuartli
Take anything you read on Wilkipedia with the proverbial pinch of salt - it's not set in stone and is very easily altered by some unscrupulous types.

Internet Explorer's share of the browser market has been falling for some time, especially with the advancement of Firefox and its many features, some of which have been incorporated into IE7.
Take anything you read on Wilkipedia with the proverbial pinch of salt - it's not
set in stone and is very easily altered by some unscrupulous types.

Aw, come on. You'll be telling us Father Christmas isn't real next. That's why I checked against the originating sources here:

"...And yes I checked against the originating stats to confirm Wikipedia is accurate."
>>You'll be telling us Father Christmas isn't real next. >>

I'm merely informing you that Wilkipedia is not the be all and end all it appears to be in quite a considerable number of cases.

There are other, more substantial, means of reference in many instances.
I'm merely informing you that Wilkipedia is not the be all and end all it
appears to be in quite a considerable number of cases.

My Dear Holmes

Thank you for explaining that everything on the Internet may not be true. That had not occurred to me before and I think I may have made some terrible mistakes in my life now I come to think about it. Like that time I told my brother in law that inhaling exhaust fumes was an alternative to altitude training for elite athletes. What a touching funeral it was. No doubt his kids will be fine once they stop crying. I've passed on the url of a good self-help website to my sister, but she hasn't sent a reply.

But back to the original issue. Do you perhaps have another source of information about browser usage that is less than a month out of date? If so, can its accuracy be verified without using the Internet?

Your faithful servant Watson.

P.S. Don't worry about the Reichenbach Falls. They are not as high or as precipitous as they seem. A man may easily survive a fall from there according to some blog I read once.
>>Thank you for explaining that everything on the Internet may not be true.>>

You have deliberately, it seems, misconstrued my comments.
"There are other, more substantial, means of reference in many instances."

Don't you think this comment was just a little bit obvious? Looks like you fell down on the Maxim of Quantity:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gricean_maxims

;-)

>>Do you perhaps have another source of information about browser usage that is less than a month out of date?>>

www.pcpro.co.uk/news/124630/firefox-we-caught-micr...l
It's great that there is real competition again. It can only be good for users like us. It's been a long time coming. That figure does seem realistic too. Now, operating systems next ...
I dont believe Firefox has 20% share, perhaps amongst the techies though not mainstream corporate or consumer, perhaps it is not right that a browser is bundled with an OS though since IE7 the recipients are not losing out, if anything it is the anti MS techies that are losing out because IE7 is great.

Likewise Linux etc fills a need though I cant imagine anyone doing a better job than MS in their position nor can I blame them for trying to protect their position.
I dont believe Firefox has 20% share perhaps amongst the techies though not mainstream corporate

Where are you getting your figures from? 20% tallies give or take with the figures I've seen from elsewhere and from the sites I look after (not sites for techies, believe me). IE's big weakness is its lack of cross-platform compatibility. Without that it's a waste of time.
>>I dont believe Firefox has 20% share>>

I think you may be very surprised by the number of people now using Firefox worldwide - I've been using it for two or three years now and many others I know have also switched to it from Internet Explorer (even more so that some people are having IE7 problems).

PS

You say IE7 is "great" - my understanding is that MS has incorporated in it many of the features that make Firefox such a pleasure to use.

What's more it doesn't need constant security updates etc...:-)
What's for you won't pass you by
Problem switching between forums on here - Stephen
.. as I said in my earlier post, the monitoring on this site puts usage as:

IE - 75%
Firefox 19%
Safari 3%.

IE 6 accounts for just under 50% of all IE visits.

On some of our other more arty sites Firefox usage is even higher with IE only getting around 45% of total traffic.
----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
Problem switching between forums on here - J Bonington Jagworth
"the monitoring on this site"

I used to have Opera report itself as IE to avoid problems with some sites (not this one) that complained if you weren't using IE. I imagine this skews the figures in MS's favour...
Problem switching between forums on here - Stephen
If the browser cache is corrupted you won't get any joy from refreshing or disk cleanup or whatever. You will need to clear all the browser temporary files - probably quit the browser and then try again.
To do this go to Menu Tools -> Internet Options. Under the General Tab click on "Delete Files". Clear them out and relaunch your browser.

We don't have a problem with IE 6 switching in this way on our test machine. However, it is a really ugly browser in terms of bugs, adherence to standards etc. and you are far better off with Firefox. Just get a free copy at www.mozilla.org.

As for the other posts regarding compatibility with IE, we have to ensure this is the case with this site as it has the largest share of visits:
IE - 75%, Firefox 19%, Safari 3%. IE 6 accounting for just under 50% of the IE visits.
We would rather the whole world used browsers that are more standards compliant - Firefox, Safari, Opera etc. but this isn't going to happen while IE is preloaded on every PC out there.

Now, on to stability, Flash etc. We don't use any flash so any freezes with loading pages to do with that are from ads, and any slowdowns are usually also to do with content retrieved from ad servers.

Hope this helps.
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
Just to add to Stephen Khoo's posting - you can use Firefox in conjunction with the IE View add-on, which allows switching between the two with a simple right click on a URL to bring up the menu choice.

See:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35
Problem switching between forums on here - Pugugly {P}
I run both on my Vista laptop - (there is a reason !) Firefox outperforms IE7 in my particular set-up.
With IE6 there was an argument for Firefox etc though IE7 is just brill!
Nokia N75 - Irritating blue light. - Pugugly {P}
Anyone know how to disable the irritating blue light on the front of this phone ? The manual does not divulge anything ! Its driving me mad especially at night. Chewing gum is not the solution !
Nokia N75 - Irritating blue light. - rtj70
Is this because it's in power save mode? To see try disabling via tools>setting>phone>display

But it will then drain your battery more. There's always the gum ;-)
Nokia N75 - Irritating blue light. - rtj70
Missed out the sleep mode which you should disable, so tools>setting>phone>display -> sleep mode.

Not that I have an N73/N75/N80 to verify mine is a lowly N70.
Red menu bar on left - problems with links - pendulum
Anyone else finding that the website's screwed up. The nav bar on the left "goes wrong" at Motor Match. If you click on Motor Match, it takes you to Directories (below it). If you click on Directories, it takes you to the Backroom. And if you click on The Back Room, nothing happens, there is no link. Is website work going on?

{Header amended as per the PLEASE NOTE message at the top - DD}
Red menu bar on left - problems with links - geoffken
Ditto
Have to go through main page since yesterday
Red menu bar on left - problems with links - oldgit
It's carp, as they say. There is too much that does not seem to work properly - say no more!!
Red menu bar on left - problems with links - Stephen
Yes - motor match removed and the nav image updated. Just refresh your browser and the nav without the link should be fine.

Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
Red menu bar on left - problems with links - pendulum
Ahh yes, a proper refresh (CTRL F5) which causes the browser to reload everything has fixed it. A "normal" refresh didn't though.
TalkTalk Online Security Software - Mike 996
Has anyone used this ? Would you reccomend it ?
Mike.
TalkTalk Online Security Software - Stuartli
I took the view that my existing level of protection using S and D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware and Avast! were more than sufficient.

However, I have had an opportunity to use TalkTalk's Assist and Go feature on another system over the weekend and, to my surprise, it worked remarkably well on the problem it was required to solve.
TalkTalk Online Security Software - billy25
It totally disagrees with AVG, friend had talk-talk and I tried to persuade him to go the AVG,spybot, zonealarm route, so to give him a demo i loaded Avg to show him (unfortunately neglected to shut talk-talk down first) ;-( , computer crashed, and worse still completely refused to boot up again, ended up slaving his h/drive up to my 'puter so i could gain access and remove Avg. needless to say, as he was already paying for the talk-talk service he decided to keep it.

Billy
Which external hard drive? - tyro
I'm looking at getting an external hard drive.

Main priority is that it works and goes on working! (on any computer, preferably)

These two look pretty good:

tinyurl.com/25qpy3

tinyurl.com/yppczd

So which one - the Iomega or the Fujitsu?

Which external hard drive? - cheddar
Not really comparable 120Gb v 500Gb

For me the Iomega is better VFM and spec though too large and out of stock, look at these two Dabs quicklinks: 4HBPWS 4HMFWS
Cheddar

I realise that in terms of capacity, they are not comparable - but they are similar in price - so I am assuming there is some advantage to the Fujitsu. (I don't actually need the larger capacity - 120 would be fine.)

Thanks for the 2 quicklinks. The first one has got a number of negative reviews on Amazon, which sort of put me off. The second looks more promising.
Which external hard drive? - VR6
The Fujitsu contains a 2.5" hard drive as used in laptops so it will be much much smaller than the other one which uses a 3.5" harddrive as found in desktop computers. The Fujitsu will also get its power from your USB ports so no need for an external power supply, the other one will not power straight from the USB, and comes with an external power supply.

If its just going to sit beside your PC and not moved everyday I'd go for the 500GB one, but if you want portability go for the Fujitsu. I bought my external Iomega harddrive from ebuyer.com for a very reasonable price. Its very well made - aluminium casing.
Which external hard drive? - Stuartli
I've just bought this 400GB Seagate from Scan which is due to be delivered tomorrow (original prices was £130 and at least one other outlet sent an e-mail newsletter yesterday offering it at £80):

www.scan.co.uk/products/productinfo.asp?WebProduct...5

Currently about £5 cheaper on the TodayOnly offer, which almost covers the delivery cost (mine was in a large order for friends and family, so it didn't cost me any extra).

I added a £46 Western Digital 320GB internal drive at the same time to eventually replace the current WD 60GB, which has not missed a beat for the past four-and-a-half years.
Which external hard drive? - Stuartli
The Seagate arrived about 20 minutes ago - according to the features on the box once you have made an initial main backup using the supplied software, just incremental changes are added later.

That still leaves masses of capacity for videos, music, photo files etc...:-)
Thanks all. The drive is something that my wife will be needing for her work - so portability will probably be one of the main considerations.
Best Broadband? - PhilW
Friend down the road asked me today about getting broadband connection and asked what I used. I said I couldn't really recommend Orange - rather flaky and I often cannot log on for half an hour or so.
I have read the thread in which Stuartli recommends Talk Talk and plusnet is also mentioned
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=54...6
(have copied it for him to read)
so am tempted to say to him to try that. However, also saw a newspaper article recently which rated Talk Talk as second lowest customer satisfaction rating (just above Orange!)
He currently has no internet connection but does have Sky TV so was tempted by their deal but thought it a bit expensive (he already pays over £40 month for his Sky contract) and he makes his phone calls via Tiscali (not sure what that means!). My son has Tiscali internet and is not too impressed (don't know why)
Any further thoughts? Or should I just say "try Talk Talk"?
Thanks in advance

--
Phil
Best Broadband? - rtj70
If your friend is not a heavy user of broadband then the bottom tier for Sky Broadband is free to Sky TV customers. There's an install charge though. But for their top package it's only £10pm. What's expensive about that?
Best Broadband? - jbif
" He currently has no internet connection but does have Sky TV "

In which case he will qualify for free broadband from Sky. As he has no internet now, I should think that he won't have a problem with the free "Sky Base surf" [*] pack that gives him 2Meg sped and 2Gig download limit.
The link to the previous Honetjohn thread also suggests looking at Monesavingexpert website for advice.

[*] read details here packages.sky.com/surf/ and packages.sky.com/

Best Broadband? - PhilW
Thanks for that rtj and jbif - some interesting reading there which I have printed out for him - sounds like a good deal.
--
Phil
Best Broadband? - JH
Phil
you could look at www.dslzoneuk.net/ for ratings but be warned that any web site is going to show some bias! Mostly it's service people gripe about when things go wrong. As is the case in most things that's when "cheap" doesn't seem such a good deal, especially if you're trying to get at your bank account! Value v cheap - not the same thing as I think most people in this forum know.
JH
Best Broadband? - PhilW
Good link, thanks JH

--
Phil
Best Broadband? - cheddar
This is a good rating site though be aware that most rating sites dslzone etc account for an enthusiasts needs.

www.thinkbroadband.com/isps

Best Broadband? - buzbee
What ISP

What email address allocation do you get? -- see below.
Also many special offers have a habit of costing a lot more after the first X months.

Plusnet option 2 is worth a look.

You get the speed your line will take up to about 8 Mb/s with an 8 GB download plus upload allocation for £15/month with the ability to create and destroy email addresses (alias ones) at will -- useful for getting rid of spam by killing an address; and then the spam vanishes down a black hole.

Of course, you may have to do some informing that your address has changed. But with careful management, usually not the one you gave to your friends. Just the one/s used to log on to websites etc.
Orange Dial-up Anytime finishing! - oldgit
Had an informing/bullying letter from Orange this morning telling me that their Anytime Dial-up service is being discontinued in December and that I'll be sent a Broadband kit within the next 3 weeks and will be able to get a basic broadband service for less than £12 per month. However, if I don't want this broadband offer then I must phone their customer service number within fourteen days, which I have done as I don't want their Broadband yet or perhaps never.

Are they really turning off this service? I have been to the Orange website and there is still the ability to register for their Anytime service or the PAYG service which according to the letter will be the only alternative to Broadband.
Orange Dial-up Anytime finishing! - billy25
Basic broadband for £12 p/m isn't really bad! - not sure why you are trying to resist B/B in this day 'n' age, but thats your choice, however, once you got it I think you may be pleasantly pleased! I know I would't go back on dial-up, yuk!
Orange Dial-up Anytime finishing! - borasport20
Hmmmm

next door neighbour HAD orange broadband, but after it failed and was not re-instated after 6 weeks, during which time Orange's fallback position was to send him a free dial up modem !

wonder how they'll deal with that after december then ?

Orange Dial-up Anytime finishing! - rtj70
I assume the pay as you go service will remain.
increasing broadband speed - normd2
I recently bought a Vista PC with a 3gHz dual core processor and 2Mb RAM along with a Zoom X6 router. My old pentium P3 800 Hz 512 machine on an adsl router used to get 1875kbps, this new one doesn't hit 300 kbps. I am told the BT line hasn't changed at all and it's the same ISP so it must be hardware - can anyone advise how I go about getting the speed back up please?
increasing broadband speed - Baskerville
I recently bought a Vista PC can anyone advise how I go about getting the speed
back up please?

Vista has known issues with networking. One such is that it throttles networking speed if you are playing sound of any kind. Nobody has figured out why. Microsoft says its a 'feature'. Maybe it is a more widespread issue. See this:

blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=702
no music playing - nothing else happening on the PC just connected to my ISPs speed checker via Firefox, nobody using the phone in the house.
increasing broadband speed - Stuartli
Try this speed checker:

www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

ps, Have you configured the router?
What's for you won't pass you by
Stuartli - it's supposed to be plug'n'play, the instructions with it for doing otherwise are not 'user friendly' I have to get some files off the old PC this weekend so will have a go at AE's suggestion and see what speed I get with it hooked up to the router.

thanks guys.
increasing broadband speed - cheddar
Vista has known issues with networking. One such is that it throttles networking speed if
you are playing sound of any kind. Nobody has figured out why. >>

I suspect it might be connected with the removal of the hardware abstraction layer, HAL, from XP to Vista, this caused a lot of problems for sound card / device manufacturers.
increasing broadband speed - Altea Ego
Vista has known issues with networking. One such is that it throttles networking speed if
you are playing sound of any kind. Nobody has figured out why. >>

www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/29/vista_networking_.../
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
increasing broadband speed - Altea Ego
Have you tried your old machine on the new router?
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
My computer and this website. - oldgit
I'll probably rue the day that I said what I'm going to say now but in the last few days I'm finding that I can now, at last, seamlessly get onto this website without any of problems that I reported in the last week or so i.e IE 6 'crashing' etc.
If you remember I kept on getting "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem......." etc. But no more! I was encouraged to try other browsers including IE7 and Firefox but had resisted this just for the sake of ONE website. So at the moment, all's well that ends well. But you never know, now, what is just around the corner.
My computer and this website. - billy25
what did you do to resolve your probs? or did it just cure itself?

Billy
snipquote
I don't know, to be honest. I suppose this website got its act together after all the changes or my browser has decided for the time being to behave itself. As I said, this was the only problematic website at the time.
My computer and this website. - Victorbox
Of course last Tuesday was Microsoft's monthly "Super Patch Tuesday" so perhaps your system patched itself? This is assuming it is set to receive automatic updates.
My computer and this website. - jbif
"Of course last Tuesday was Microsoft's monthly "Super Patch Tuesday" so perhaps your system patched itself? This is assuming it is set to receive automatic updates"

Not unless oldgit has changed his settings since his reply to me
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=55263&...e
He said there that he was on XP SP1 and had switched off autoupdates and had decided not to install SP2.
You've got it in one! On dial-up, I naturally don't have automatic updates switched on neither do I have SP2.
My computer and this website. - Stuartli
>>On dial-up, I naturally don't have automatic updates switched on neither do I have SP2.>>

Not, I would suggest, very sensible either on dialup or broadband in both instances.
Not I would suggest very sensible >>

The point is, as dial-up is rather laboured, I would not have wanted automatic update to start without input from myself. In most cases all the updates available at the time were downloaded when I was ready and had devoted a session for that purpose. However I did not use SP2, even though I now do have the SP2 CD ROM from Microsoft.
Mesh Owner's Club - JH
I know there are one or two Mesh owners in this forum so you may be interested in;

"Mesh has launched an Owners' Club in a bid to improve its customer support.
Contrary to the title, users don't have to be Mesh owners to join, but the site is focused on customer support: the company says most questions to do with Mesh machines will be answerable by the moderators, including concerns over delivery and warranty. "

See www.meshownersclub.com

It might give Stuart a night off.

JH

Mesh Owner's Club - Pugugly {P}
Yeah - had the e-mail had a quick blimp. There has been some criticism of their helpline in certain quarters, maybe its a way of making things better. My MESH has been in daily use for the last twelve months, so far so good. I think it was RF that said that the fans were noisy - I can confirm that ! But otherwise faultless. Not had to contact them at all.
Mesh Owner's Club - JH
There's an email?! Phah! I've not had one. It's handbags at dawn!
JH
Mesh Owner's Club - Pugugly {P}
I'll copy it through to you. Unless I've deleted it ! - Won't forward sorry, its all image stuff. You've not missed anything.
Mesh Owner's Club - cheddar
The Dell forum is very good, likewise Creative, this is nothing new.