GTi 91 - Drive Shafts - nookkie29
How do you know if your drive shafts are on there way out?
GTi 91 - Drive Shafts - Lud
Noise or perceptible vibration on full lock in either direction. Marked backlash or 'shunting' especially when driving slowly in low gears. Clonk when taking up drive while manoeuvring in reverse and first gear alternately. Any play or backlash that can be felt when drive shaft is grasped firmly by the hand and rotated back and forth. Split or damaged gaiters that have been left like that for a long time allowing lubricant to dry up and get contaminated with grit.

Cars can survive a long time with badly worn drive shafts, but the more worn they get the faster they wear and the more liable they become to catastrophic failure, as the backlash accentuates the effect of clumsy moments in driving.

well my car is doing the following:-
got car back on road yesterday and noticed a knocking grinding noise, it did it before but only when i pulled away. the noise only seems to happen when in gear pulling away soon as i reach 40mph or so it stops. it sounds like something catching or scrapping under the car, the noise will sort or coming in and go around when i change gear.......
From your description, could be driveshaft(s), wheel or gearbox bearings. Sounds as if it should be investigated pronto. These things make a car unpleasant to drive and can be dangerous.
well its more of a grind/scrape.

the noise is only coming from the front right, so wouldnt the car pull to the left??
Could be various other things. What are yr brake pads like?

You need to find out what the noise is before driving much. You could be doing further damage or risking embarrassment or worse. On the other hand it could be nothing, a bit of trim touching something. You need to find out.