Computer Related Questions - Volume 137 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 138 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 137. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Accessing this site- phew!!! - oldgit
Since last Wednesday, or thereabouts, I have had extreme difficulty in accessing this website as in so doing, a window comes up telling me that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close..........etc. etc.

This is most annoying and only happens with HonesJohn's website! I visit maybe a hundred other ones and this never happens. In the last day or so, however, I am having more luck and can, say, access the site about 1 in 5 attempts or sometimes 1 in 3 attempts.

People have told me to use another browser or upgrade from IE 6 to IE7 but I don't want to do this for the sake of ONE website. Perhaps things will improve as there have, apparently, been a lot of changes to this one and anyway this website, in my experience is the only one that gives rise to pop-ups and other nasties.
Accessing this site- phew!!! - Stuartli
Firefox is my main browser, but I've just checked with IE6 and this website works fine.

It could be down to your Privacy or Security settings being too high - also don't forget the Pop-up stopper in IE6.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Accessing this site- phew!!! - Pugugly {P}
Windows XP Pro Machine.

Firefox runs very quickly has a crisper image, bolder colours and zero pop ups.

IE7 - is slower, the fonts are little blurry, still no pop ups/

Wndows Vista.

Both browsers run as well as each other but I prefer the Firefox look, but I can;t log into the site but it's ok as a read only one. No Pop ups (but more ads on Vista - guess it needs tweaking) No issues whatsoever on actually getting to the site from either machine.

Guess its you settings.
Accessing this site- phew!!! - JH
PU
"the fonts are little blurry". Have you switched on Cleartype? It's aimed at LCD screens. It's in the Powertoys if you're using XP or built into Vitsa. Somewhere. See www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xp...x
JH
Accessing this site- phew!!! - cheddar
PU
"the fonts are little blurry". Have you switched on Cleartype? >>

Using XP Pro, I now switch Cleartype off in IE7 though on in Windows, no problems at all and superbly crisp if at 1600 x 1200.

Firefox is only "better" if IE is not set up properly.
Accessing this site- phew!!! - oldgit
My security and privacy settings haven't changed. Anyway things seems to be improving all the time and so I'll see what happens next week. As far as I know I don't have a pop-up stopper in my version of IE 6 service pack 1.

I believe in the adage that if it ain't broke then don't fix it!
Accessing this site- phew!!! - Baskerville
I believe in the adage that if it ain't broke then don't fix it!

But it is broke. That's why you posted on here about it. What does the old adage say about that?
Accessing this site- phew!!! - Stuartli
Pop-up blocker: Tools>Internet Options>Privacy tab.

Accessing this site- phew!!! - bintang
Same problem, only one of over 100 Bookmarks that does not work, only my error messages come from Windows, asking for a fault report. I have sent in about a dozen and got thanks but with no result. Luckily, I unearthed an old copy of Bookmarks I had transferred over about a year ago when changing computers and the one for HJ gets me connected, but for some reason the f******** is much smaller. I believe I have IE7 but how can I find out?
Accessing this site- phew!!! - bintang
I don't know where f******** comes from. I typed in "font".
Accessing this site- phew!!! - Pugugly {P}
I know it's in the swearfilter. Try downloading Firefox. IE7 is very yesterday and Mozilla brings out the
rebel in me.
Accessing this site - part 2. - oldgit
As Part 1 was curtailed before I could get on and reply, I wanted to go on and say that I was not in self denial about my browser's performance but reiterate that I find it very odd that I can access any website in cyberspace (as far as I know) except this one (which I can, only about 50% of the time, now) - Mind you this is a vast improvement last week.

I would imagine that it is currently a quirk, for me at least, with this particular website as it has undergone so many changes recently (as least that is what HJ told me).

Despite what someone said, my I.E 6 SP1 does not have a pop-up blocker under the 'Privacy' tab in Tools>Internet Options etc. There it is only concerned with Cookies.

Respect oldgit - using the marvels of the edit button I've moved your original thread in here
- PU
Accessing this site - part 2. - Stuartli
I'm surprised that your IE6 hasn't been updated on several occasions by WindowsUpdate (latest security update was this month) - is WU switched on?

The Pop-Up Blocker is certainly available in my version of IE6 Service Pack 1...:-)

Accessing this site - part 2. - jbif
Hello oldgit.
The problem you describe was resolved by a recent Windows XP update.
The pop-up blocker is a feature of IE SP2.
You don't say which operating system you are using, but as you are on IE SP1 it has to be an earlier Windows product. I will assume that it is XP service pack 1.
XP service pack 2 updtaed internet explorer to IE6 sp2.
To get your XP SP2, you can either download it from Microsoft. Or order a CD from them. Or find a friend who will lend you a XP SP2 CD. Microsoft encourage the sharing of SP2 cds. Microsoft permits security downloads to even those PCs running non-genuine copies of XP.
After you have upgraded to XP SP2, you should enable automatic updates in Windows and get all the other updates that your computer is missing.
Accessing this site - part 2. - oldgit
Hello oldgit.
The problem you describe was resolved by a recent Windows XP update.
The pop-up blocker is a feature of IE SP2.
After you have upgraded to XP SP2 you should enable automatic updates in Windows and
get all the other updates that your computer is missing.

I had chosen not to upgrade to service pack 2 and not to have automatic updates turned on. However I have downloaded all the necessary more minor critical updates etc. I do have the MS SP 2 update disc as it was requested and sent to me but I thought that I'd rather have my computer remaining as it is with Windows XP home edition and IE 6 with SP1. Anyway, I'm getting here almost everytime now! By the way I am still on dial-up!

Thanks for all your help and concern.
Anyone using Linux out there ? - menu du jour
Do any backroomers use linux [any variety]? Any thoughts appreciated, and would you go back to windoze etc?
culmhead

Subject line changed to reflect question - PU
Anyone using Linux out there ? - AshT
Yes, I'm using Debian Linux. Does everything I need very well with no problems, and I've no intention of going back to Windows.
Anyone using Linux out there ? - Baskerville
It's well known around here that I use Linux and have done since late 2002; I "defenestrated" completely in late 2003. For my work I have a Linux desktop and a Mac laptop. There is also a Linux server in the loft and a Linux multimedia machine in the family room. We don't have a copy of Windows installed here, or indeed any Microsoft software, even though one of my clients allows me to have free site license copies. We just don't need it. I find Windows too high maintenance to bother with.

Here's why I use Linux:

Cross-platform compatibility. Most of the major productivity applications that run on Linux also run on Windows and Mac, or are compatible with Windows/Mac applications. I exchange files with Windows users all the time--individuals and businesses--and they have no idea I'm not using Windows.

Power. The flexibility of the platform and the sheer number of applications available for free is staggering. You can customize everything. There is a program to do anything you can think of and it's all free. All of this is achieved on very low-spec hardware. The 3D desktop on Ubuntu requires just 3MB of RAM, for instance. The entire system needs just 192MB to run (slowly but acceptably). It flies on my dual core system with 1GB.

Package Management. The synaptic package manager is a real marvel. If Microsoft truly cared about making Windows "best of breed" they would have something similar. It handles all software installs and updates to all installed packages in one place.

Security. Let's just say I don't worry about security, though I do run a virus scanner (ClamAV) so I don't inadvertently pass on a Windows nasty and I am sensible about not installing random things from the Interweb. Otherwise, nada.

Vendor Lockin. There isn't any. If you get fed up with one Linux distribution, just move to another. The use of open standards in file formats means your data doesn't depend on the whim of a single company.

Ease of use. The "consumer" Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, Mandriva, and PCLinuxOS, are a piece of cake to use. Everything is organised logically and the folder structure makes sense. I have never been a commandline user by inclination, though five years ago it was a necessity. Now you never need it. My 3 year-old daughter uses Linux quite happily to watch videos and play with Tuxpaint in the superb GCompris educational software suite (the Edubuntu version of Ubuntu is based around it). As far as hardware is concerned it is mostly plug and play these days. It's still worth checking compatibilty before buying, but if it's compatible, it will just work in my experience, and most things do even if the box says otherwise.

Would I go back? When Windows catches up I'll consider it. Vista is not even close. I sometimes have to use XP Pro in a client's office and I now find it incredibly unintuitive.
Anyone using Linux out there ? - Phil I
>>
Would I go back? When Windows catches up I'll consider it. Vista is not even close.

The Printer from Birmingham has said it all.

I run two older computers and one modern box.
My main machine dates from 1995 and runs Mandriva 2006. (Compaq5100 Pro Dual Processor) the other is from 1999 runs W98 alongside PCLinux. The modern box is P4 with XP Pro sp1 alongside Fedora 7 and Debian 4.
Nearly all these are hand me down gear - no big investment in them at all. Occasionally I feel a little peeved when some idiot website informs me that it is best viewed in IE some number or other.

Not too worried about this tho . Use friends and relatives gear sometimes and realise how horrible surfing with MS products can be.

Happy FOSS viewing Phil I

Anyone using Linux out there ? - Welliesorter
Trivial point but I'll make it anyway as it's often overlooked: many of us are using Linux without realising. I have a BT (rebranded Netgem) iPlayer Freeview box, a BT Home Hub, and (thanks to another thread here) a Logik internet radio. All these use embedded forms of Linux.
Anyone using Linux out there ? - Altea Ego
Everyone on here is using Linux. At some stage a part of your traffic is routed through, secured by, or served by a Linux machine.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Firefox v Internet Explorer - Fullchat
After suffering slow internet connections, and hanging blank windows I have installed Firefox. It certainly seems faster but why??

--
Fullchat
Firefox v Internet Explorer - Stuartli
You can make Firefox even faster with Finetune Firefox...:-)

www.totalidea.com/content/firetune/firetune-index....l
What's for you won't pass you by
Firefox v Internet Explorer - Altea Ego
You can make Firefox even faster with Finetune Firefox...:-)

Faster than what? Lets face it, where the only true diferentiator of browser speed is throuput and response of the network I dont see that one has to worry about choosing or tuning ones browser.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Firefox v Internet Explorer - cheddar
Unless it tunes MTU and RWIN in whicvh case it is not really tuning the browser.
Both of which is a waste of time twiddling with on broadband.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Firefox v Internet Explorer - jbif
Hello Fullchat.
I am not an expert on Firefox, but I believe that Firefox may appear faster because it may not have all the features of IE.
The software company that writes the code for HonetJohn's web pages may know why or if this site loads faster on Firefox compared to IE6 or IE7.
I am led to believe that Firefox users have the option to add "plug-ins" to tailor the browser to their needs.
Firefox v Internet Explorer - Baskerville
Hello Fullchat.
I am not an expert on Firefox but I believe that Firefox may appear faster
because it may not have all the features of IE.

Firefox, Opera, IE, and Safari all use different rendering engines and they deal with the code served up by websites in different ways. They also respond differently to various inputs so they can "feel" faster or slower, depending on what you're doing with them. Unless you run proper tests it's impossible to say which is faster just by using them. For instance, just because the page is all visible doesn't mean it will (yet) respond to clicks. In another case a page may be clickable before its visible elements have rendered. Which is faster?
Despite all the cynicism, even sarcastic comments, it's a well known fact that Firefox can be speeded up.

Using Finetune Firefox or similar FF add-ons merely makes it easier than doing it manually through about:config.
I doubt its worth the effort. Why would you bother when even a badly tuned and usless IE 5 is fast enough on modern broadband?
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Despite all the cynicism even sarcastic comments it's a well known fact that Firefox can
be speeded up.

I agree with you that Firefox is the best browser out there. I use it all the time. I also agree that it can be made to appear to be speeded up (most of the tweaks involve pre-fetching webpages and some can be a real pain for webmasters). I also agree that with decent broadband speed the differences are very slight. Speed is not what makes FF my browser of choice. I like the appearance, the tweakability, the wide range of add-ons, the fact that it is cross-platform (Linux, Mac, Windows, and whatever), and (so far) the security. It's really a great piece of software.

Incidentally Opera, which is one of the most highly specified browsers in its default configuration, seems fastest to me on Linux and Mac.
Firefox v Internet Explorer - rtj70
I'm with ex-TVM on this I'm affraid.

I first started using the Internet in 1989 and had a fairly okay connection for the time. In 1992 I dowloaded and installed Linux via floppy disks!

Since having broadband at home about 7 years ago, using various versions of Windows/Unix/Linux:

- Originally on 512kbps and fast compared to me old dial-up
- Moved to 600kbps on no apparent speed-up
- Upgraded to 1.5Mbps and noticeabely faster to display web-pages but downgraded to 750kbps soon after
- Automatically upgraded to 2Mbps
- Now on 2Mbps

Do the browsers and operating make a real noticeable difference. Only if you want to believe they do. Going from 600kbps to 1.5Mbs was noticeable in so much as a page loaded twice as fast - i.e. like 0.5s vs 1.s. With faster download then you cannot time the difference. Also use for work VPN.

Regardless of boradband Internet browser not so relevant. Lost packets/poor ISP on the other hand can mae all the difference. Last week Virgin Media seemed to have DNS problem and so service was carp 20% of the time.
>>Since having broadband at home about 7 years ago>>
Originally on 512kbps and fast compared to me old dial-up>>

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks (late 2000 was the year when British Telecom (BT) launched its generic DSL products.), but I thought that 256kbps (or even 150kbps or less) was the original BB speed available?

Unless you had a cable service?
150Kbps was ISDN
150Kbps was ISDN

Correction ISDN was 128Kbps, I think 150 was what BT called "midband", IIRC broadband hit the streets at the asymetric 512/256.
IIRC, ISDN was originally 64kbps and, where I worked, two lines were used to get 128kbps (it was to send newspaper pages for printing purposes at the time).

I don't think most people really appreciate the work that BT did a few years back on getting speeds up on what was basically long standing infrastructure.

We used to send copy to the office using a laptop, 9.6kbps modem (double cup shaped to accept a telephone) and a wing and a prayer...:-)
>>It's really a great piece of software.>>

Which is why it's been my default browser for some considerable time, even though IE6 is available and kept fully updated. In fact I don't think IE6 is all that slow, but I do prefer the FF layout and its ability, for a while now, to use tabbed pages.

I wasn't all that taken with Opera when I tried it out, but it was some time ago.

Some other browser choices at:

www.majorgeeks.com/downloads5.html
Firefox v Internet Explorer - Citroënian {P}
Well, I use FF and IE7 on the PC. Can't say I notice a huge difference in them, they just seem to work.

On the Mac I use Camino, Safari (3 beta) and FF again. They're so similar that I never take much notice of which icon I pressed to get on the Internet. If you were to put a gun to my head, I'd go Camino but I understand this is a FF engine anyhow - although I stand to be corrected on this.

My Ubuntu install uses FF and that works alright.

Opera is on the Wii and the DS lite, seems to work OK although there are some functionality restrictions which are probably more to do with the hardware than the browser.

No idea what my Samsung phone uses but it gets me the footie scores - my iPaq 6515 - soon to be retired - also has a browser, some form of IE and again, is fine for bbc news and sport.

My (laboured) point really is that they all work adequately for me, despite being of a wide variety. Safari is apparently super quick at rendering pages, but it's the network connection that makes the difference so far as I can see. On my 6Mb ADSL line things whizz along, on the GPRS of the iPaq, less so.

You need a browser to get on the net, choose whichever tickles your fancy, there's not a whole lot in it these days.

Anyway, why bother with all these fancy graphics - why not just run with Lynx :- lynx.isc.org/ ;-)

Lee

Have you tried Quicksilver on the Mac? It's like a cross between Spotlight and some kind of weird psychic force that allows you to control everything from one place. There's nothing like it anywhere else, though others have tried. It's free:

quicksilver.blacktree.com/
Firefox v Internet Explorer - Citroënian {P}
Hi Bv,

I've seen it written about in the Apple blogs but haven't tried it. Might dig it out and give it a try, thanks for the tip.

Lee

Just one small point. You mean Firefox versus Internet Explorer. Outlook Express is an e-mail program. {Now corrected - DD}

More info. You can download IETab for use with Firefox from:

ietab.mozdev.org/installation.html

and Flash Player (non-IE) from:

www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/

IE version is:

www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/
Disposing of an old computer? - wotspur
New computer -how do I safely dispose of the old one.??

Next week, I take delivery of a long awaited new computer(currently using 98), when my wife sets it up, I'm a computer numpty, I'd like to dispose of the old computer and tower but she's scared of confidential information being reaccessed by 9yr old boffins- is it better putting in the loft or how can it be cleared-
Disposing of an old computer? - Victorbox
If it is a working Pentium 3 or better you might like to donate it to Computer Aid International www.computeraid.org/ but it will cost you £12 to courier it to them. They are data wiped to the highest standard & sent to help childrens education in third world countries.

Notwithstanding Computer Aid's data wiping I also used Kill Disk to wipe the hard disk first free from www.killdisk.com/ before sending it off. You can use this method even if recycling it under the WEE regulations at your local council tip. You can of course remove just the hard disk & smash it up before sending the lot to the tip to be recycled.
Can I sync my PDA with 2 computers? - BobbyG
My PDA (Mio 550) is synched with myhome computer through Microsoft Outlook, updates contacts diaries etc.
Can I also sync this to my works computer so that both computers and my PDA have all my diary dates / contacts?
Or would this cause corruption of some sort especially with email accounts?

Or is this one of those stupid questions answered by "Of course you can, thats what they are designed for!"
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Can I sync my PDA with 2 computers? - Altea Ego
Yes you can no problem. Contacts and diary will synch fine between three machines. Be warry of email tho, you need to take great care and I would advise its not worth synching email.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Cheers for that AE, I agree, I don't really need to sync email anyway.
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Right I tried syncing my PDA with the works computer today usingh Active Sync. However during the installation program it stated that I was already "synced" with 2 desktops and would need to delete one and it named them as BobbyPDA and BobbyPC. Now I only have ever synced this with my desktop at home so how do I know which one is which? Is there anything I can access in settings etc that would tell me? I don't want to run the risk of losing everything!
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Sending MP3 files from PC to Mobile by SMS - drbe
I have an MP3 file (a ringtone) on my PC. How do I send it by SMS to my mobile?

The phone is a Nokia 6230i. I have looked at some of the 'free' downloads, but they all seem to set off a virus warning.

Any ideas please?
Sending MP3 files from PC to Mobile by SMS - Mookfish
Best way would be to get a bluetooth "dongle" for your PC, I have looked into this before and it seems the only ways to do it is by using a data cable or bluetooth.

Or if you have a memory card in your phone you could take that out if you have a card reader for your computer.
Sending MP3 files from PC to Mobile by SMS - rtj70
The 6230i does indeed come with a memory card (an MMC one I think) so you could take the back off, remove battery then the memory card. Pop it in the memory card reader and copy the file(s) on and then put it back in the phone. You can use ringtones/MP3 files directly from the memory card.
Sending MP3 files from PC to Mobile by SMS - drbe
>> Or if you have a memory card in your phone you could take that out
if you have a card reader for your computer.

>>

Yes I have! Job Done.

Thank You.
Medion Laptop + Windows Vista - Armitage Shanks {p}
slight trouble with this Aldi sourced machine. On start up it goes thru the routine of the symbology running left to right in a little slot at the bottom of the screen, a bit of music and the Vista logo and then asks me for my password - OK so far! Then, when I put in my password, instead of going on to load the desktop it goes back to the begiining and reboots ie stuck in some sort of a 'loop'. I can get round this by hitting f8 and starting with "Last known good settings" but I would prefer not to have to do this. Any idas please?
Medion Laptop + Windows Vista - Victorbox
Not sure if you are on first boot up after purchase or you've used the PC for a while. If "Last known good settings" works and you've several days worth of System Restore points to choose from, I'd do a System Restore to a date when the laptop was known to boot OK - assuming you've used it for a while.

In XP - System Restore is Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore but I've only used Vista a few times so I can't quite remember if it is in the same place. However, Vista's new super-duper search facility will no doubt locate it for you.

You will lose the use of any programs you've installed since the System Restore date you choose to go back to & will have to reinstall these programs. System Restore is reversible so you've little to lose by trying it.

Have you added any new hardware or software recently?
Medion Laptop + Windows Vista - Victorbox
Nice System Restore "how to" in Vista here www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-window.../
Medion Laptop + Windows Vista - Armitage Shanks {p}
Most helpful VB - thanks. Don't have time to try this before I go on my hols but I am most grateful for the info and the link
Laptop faulty - 1.5 months old - David Horn
Hiya,

My new Sony laptop has developed an irritating fault where it will hang when playing games. Usually it completely freezes and the sound starts stuttering, but occasionally it will bluescreen reporting a memory parity error.

It's done it since I got it but I assumed it was the iffy Nvidia drivers under Vista, and it only happened occasionally when playing. However, it's getting worse now and can happen sometimes within a minute of starting the game. It's a really unpleasant fault to track down since Windows's own memory tester reports that everything is fine, so it might be in the video card RAM.

The computer is 1.5 months old, bought from Comet. Do I have any possibility of going back and asking for a replacement or do I now need to send it off to Sony for repair? I don't want to do that, since I'm abroad for the next few weeks, then moving around the country. The system stability log is showing 1/10.

{Moves across to computer related thread - DD}
Laptop faulty - 1.5 months old - Altea Ego
If its done it when you got it - it needs to go back. Make a fuss and get comet to replace it.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Laptop faulty - 1.5 months old - Armitage Shanks {p}
Surely at 6 weeks old it is under some warranty, if not repair or replace?
Laptop faulty - 1.5 months old - oldgit
A pre-existing fault - no question. Get it replaced, pronto. I take it that you do mean 1.5 months and NOT 15 months?
Java or Flash player - Martin Devon
Help. I cannot get things to play on some sites, U-tube for example. i get a measage that either Java is turned off or Flash player needs to be installed. This has only happened for the last few days. I try to download flash player but it won't go in. Any help greatly appreciated.

vbr...MD.
Java or Flash player - bell boy
have you changed to a different browser?
if not then try to download the java but with the browser turned off as sometimes it wont load, go back to the java page and it should be clearer.
Java or Flash player - Pugugly {P}
Firefox used to "forget" that Java was enabled and you had to keep poking it. Latest version is more stable.
Java or Flash player - GregSwain
Some firewalls disable Javascripts from running, so make sure your internet security isn't to blame. Other than that, download the most recent Flash plugin, and Sun Java. I have more problems with IE when I'm in Windows than any of my Linux browsers (including Firefox).
Java or Flash player - able1

Exactly the same thing happened to me after the changes last week, try this;

Click Tools (extreme right of toolbar), then manage Add-ons, then enable or disable add-ons, you will find your Activex control of Adobe has become disabled - click enable then OK.

HTH
Java or Flash player - Martin Devon
Able you are Sir. All sorted. Many thanks.

VBR....................MD
ACER laptop BIOS password problem ? - Petel
Hello to all.
Have just inherited an Acer Travelmate 246LC, full working order, running XP.

However, find that on pressing F2 at start up, the previous owner ( now deceased ) has left a BIOS password in place. Wish to clean the unit out and re-install XP but as a result of not knowing the password, cannot get in to change the Boot priority, as required to allow use of the recovery disks.

Is anyone aware of a method of removing the requirement for the password, without having to dismantle the whole unit?
Any assistance much appreciated.
Thank you.
ACER laptop BIOS password problem ? - rtj70
Even if boot order set to Hard Disk first, usually possible to bring up a boot order screen. Sometimes as simple as hitting ESCape key.
Thanks for the reply.

Attempting to intercept using ESC key results in Bong, Bong, Bong, alarm sound followed by the same password screen.
Rgds.
ACER laptop BIOS password problem ? - Altea Ego
Have you tried the Acer web site?
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
ACER laptop BIOS password problem ? - billy25
may need to open it up! some 'puters have a "jumper" switch on the mobo to clear bios passwords, or else you could try removing the internal battery for a couple of hours to give any resident memory time to"forget"- not a job for the faint hearted!!.
ACER laptop BIOS password problem ? - cheddar
Yes, remove the backup battery and, in the case of a laptop, the main battery and leave for a couple of hours, it should let the BIOS default.
Thank you all for the replies.
Rgds.
Accessing Web Sites via Mobile Phone? - drbe
Is there an "Idiot's Guide to The Web on your Mobile Phone"?

The user manuals on my phones seem to assume a certain amount of knowledge on these matters - which I don't have!

I am really only interested in getting up-to-date rugy union scores, for the World Cup and the English Guinness League.

I realise that I could subscribe to a text messaging service, that is a bit pricey and I would be getting info. that I don't need - scores for games that I am at, for instance!

Having a fiddle with my phone it seems to want me to enter a web address. How do I do that? I can't enter colons and slashes for example.

Is ther a step by step guide, written in words of one syllable?

My phones are Nokia 6300 on Fresh and Nokia 6230i on Telecom Plus (which I believe uses T-Mobile.

As usual, my thanks in advance.

Accessing Web Sites via Mobile Phone? - Citroënian {P}
I use the BBC WAP site - quick way to get to the results you look for, but in my case football.

start at

www.bbc.co.uk/mobile

and then trawl down through sport to the rugby - once you've found the page you want, set it as a bookmark

when you need it again, you can go back directly which saves you going through the whole process each time.

hth
Lee
Accessing Web Sites via Mobile Phone? - Altea Ego
drbe, you sure you are allowed to use technology?

> I can't enter colons and slashes for example.

Yes you can, for example on the Nokia 6230i when you are in text entering mode (and you will be in that when it asks for the web address) if you press the * key on the bottom left of the keyboard you will get a menu of symbols and punctuation to choose from and insert.

< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Accessing Web Sites via Mobile Phone? - drbe
drbe you sure you are allowed to use technology?

>>

Nor anything sharp in here either!

Since posting I have discovered how to enter text symbols - just the way you describe - thanks anyway.

Must go, I have to put the horse and cart away for the night.
Mobile Broadband from the Three network - oldgit
Just recently, the Three mobile network three.co.uk. have introduced Mobile Broadband packages and are rolling it out from within the North/South circular roads and then within the M25 etc.
Starting prices are £10/month for 2.8Mbps and 1Gb download and then £15/month for higher downloads etc. All you need, supplied by them, is their USB dongle with a fly-lead and by plugging this into your laptop or any other computer you've got broadband (hopefully) without any fuss!
Does anyone have any views on this system and can tell me how it integrates with one's existing browsers. Presumably it can't do POP3 email? I think that living in South London that by October I may well be interested in this as it will be a big step up from my existing dial-up connection even if I just use the Broadband for just surfing.
Mobile Broadband from the Three network - Altea Ego
Does anyone have any views on this system and can tell me how it integrates
with one's existing browsers. Presumably it can't do POP3 email? I think that living in
South London that by October I may well be interested in this as it will
be a big step up from my existing dial-up connection even if I just use

When windows XP gets hold of it when you plug it in, it becomes another network connection and you can use all your existing browsers on it. It probably does offer POP 3 services (tho sometimes the provider of your pop server will only allow access to the pop server from within its own network node)

You have dial up currently, you live in south London, why on earth dont you sign up for a cheaper landline broadband package from any provider?

I hope 3 have improved as a provider, because when they rolled out 3G, coverage was simply appaling and stability worse. I know many users who have vowed never to go near anything with a 3 logo on it ever again.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Mobile Broadband from the Three network - oldgit
You have dial up currently you live in south London why on earth dont you

>> ------------------------------
< Ex RF Ex TVM >

Because for me, it seems a much simpler solution to the complexities of only having broadband in ONE location and having to have broadband 'installed' at your exchange and with microfilters etc, etc.
As far as I'm concerned and providing it worked properly, it is more tempting and flexible just to be able to plug in a dongle and get a reasonably fast service for surfing the web.
Mobile Broadband from the Three network - Welliesorter
A colleague has this as he lives in a town but in a location where it's not feasible to install a landline . The 3 web site had a special offer for people 'pre-ordering' but the modem arrived, and was ready to use, the next day. He's only had a couple of days to comment on it so can't give a very comprehensive view, but he seems happy so far.

The pricing seems pretty good when you consider that it's less than I used to pay for an unmetered dial-up connection.

My reservations about it would be the data allowance (fine for ordinary web browsing and e-mail but don't even think about using things like 4OD and the BBC iPlayer), and the coverage. If you're not lucky enough to be in a location where there's reception on 3's fast network, it'll roam onto Orange GPRS. This will be no improvement on dial-up, and the 3 web site states that they reserve the right to limit excessive roaming without saying how that is defined.

I have to admit, if I owned a laptop, I'd be tempted myself but probably not as a replacement for home ADSL.
Display driver - is this terminal? - PoloGirl
I've got laptop issues, and I'm wondering whether the time has come to give up and get a new one, despite it only being about two and a half years old.

Occasionally when in use, the screen will freeze, and one of two things will happen.

1. A blue screen flashes up, and what I can see in the second it is there for is something to do with the ativ2dag display driver being stuck in an infinite loop. The laptop restarts, but only in safe mode, and seems very hot. In fact, it only works again if it is left switched off for an hour or so.

or

2. A message flashes up about the display driver having stopped responding and everything on the screen goes basic and large, like it does when in safe mode.

Yesterday I used to the recovery disk to reformat the laptop and start again from scratch, but it is still doing the above.

What should I do? The laptop's running on XP and at the moment only has AOL (I know, I know...) and the wireless card installed.

Display driver - is this terminal? - cheddar
I assume it has an ATi dedicated graphics card, I had the same error on a desktop and it turned out to be the ATi graphics card that had gone U/S, replacing the card was the answer (though I initially utilised the integrated graphics on the motherboard may not be possible on your laptop).

It is likely that you will need a new graphics card though it is worth trying updating the ATi drivers first.

ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Display driver - is this terminal? - rtj70
What make of laptop and model? Might not be possible to use anything but the inbuilt ATI video adapter - it's likely to be integrated with the chipset on the motherboard. Does not sound positive. Could be overheating.

Personally. I would try:

- Install the latest video driver from ATI and I mean from the ATI website. Might be a bug.
- Try uninstalling the video driver and using the default Windows driver (SVGA).
- Maybe to try to make it "break" try a 3D-type demo like 3D Mark 2005 - it will stress the video a lot more.
- Try a CD-bootable distribution of Linux - will rule of Windows!

The fact it's doing the same from scratch though does not sound very good.
Display driver - is this terminal? - Altea Ego
How hot is hot? Is the fan working? Does it happen when you "flex" the laptop? (this is comonplace indicates loose or broken components inside) Its the graphics card and if the drivers dont fix it it needs surgery.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
My laptop sometimes forgets in power saving mode and can run hot (or sometimes hibernate itself). You can tell it's doing it when the fan kicks in and makes lots of noise - so is the fan on your PC loud? If it's not and it's getting hot the cooling system might be faulty.
Thanks for the quick responses. The fan is very loud so I think it may be over heating. I'll try installing the driver again and come back.

It's a Toshiba EA60-155 btw.
Display driver - is this terminal? - bell boy
The fan would be my first guess or even the fan on the graphics card if it has one?
the muck that you find in fans when checked has to be seen to be believed sometimes
For another reason just rebooted my PC and went into the BIOS. As I thought temperature of the CPU as only about 30 deg C and fans quitened down straight after BIOS screen up - loud(ish) on a reboot. To rule out Windows etc. then you could always see if you can check PC Health (i.e. temp) via BIOS.
Right I went and downloaded the correct driver, and it started installing it. Then I got a message saying I need to install a standard vga adapter first, before I can install this driver.

Then the whole thing crashed, and rebooted, and was fine again!

rtj, how would I check the temperature?
Web Site - Referring Links - borasport20
I want to know how many web sites have links to mine

link:websitename is supposed to do that in google, but is manifestly inaccurate

any other suggestions

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Web Site - Referring Links - Chicken Vindaloo
Try the same thing, but at yahoo.com instead. Works a treat.
Web Site - Referring Links - borasport20
link:websiteadress on google gives me 1 internal link and 4 external ones. The same on yahoo gives me 9 pages, but they are all internal links, yet I am regularly getting traffic from other sites that I know link to me

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
connecting PS3 to Internet - billy25
Hi Folks,
Friend has just bought a PS3 off E-bay which came with everything but a manual, he wants to connect it to the internet, and so far has tried unplugging his pc's ethernet cable from the back of his dsl modem (voyager 190) and relacing it with the Ps3's ethernet cable. Although he gets the "internet connected" message, he also gets the "DNS ERROR" message. and thats as far as it will go. I've done a minute bit of "googling" on his behalf, and so far have discovered that everbody appears to be using some form of router or other.
Anybody any suggestions - how do you do yours?.

Thanks
Billy
Freesat to PC via USB? - andymc {P}
Instead of an ordinary TV aerial for the new house, I've had Freesat installed. Now I'd like to get a digibox type gizmo which will enable me to connect my Freesat set-top box to the PC via USB (so I won't have to install a TV card) - I use a projector with the PC to watch movies and even surf the web, so this will enable me to watch rugby matches on the "big screen" in the comfort of my living room.

I'd like one that gives me proper functionality with programmable recording, easy channel surfing (so I can ignore the huge amount of dross), and RELIABILITY! - I had a cheapo one that has now died, into which the ordinary TV aerial could be plugged in order to watch digital TV on the PC via USB - however it wasn't very user friendly, instructions were poorly translated, channels couldn't be rearranged in the order you wanted, etc. I was able to record TV shows as mpegs on the hard drive of my PC and watch them via Media Player, but couldn't delete ad breaks or programme a start and end time for recording. Ideally I'd like something that will give me the functionality of a digibox/Sky+ arrangement, but on the PC - don't know whether such a beast exists, or even what to call it!

So, is there anything out there that will suit my requirements? Better still, anything that might allow me to watch one channel while recording another? Don't really want to spend more than £60-£70 but am prepared to chuck an extra tenner or two at it for the sake of getting a good one that's easy to use and will last. System is a PC with 3.2 GHz P4 processor and 1 GB RAM.
TIA
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Pages Cascading Down? - drbe
Yes, pages cascading down, if that is the right phrase.

When opening a page or a link, I regularly have the page being opened, opening itself repeatedly and 'cascading' across the screen. The effect is that I have twenty or thirty pages - all the same as far as I can see - opened diagonally downwards across the screen.

Normally I can't move fast enough to activate the 'Turn Off' or 'Restart' buttons, so have been forced to switch off at the power supply and then start again.

This morning I thought I would see how many pages opened before it stopped. well, it didn't stop, but when it got over fifty pages opened it seemed to get tired and slowed down and I was able to operate the 'Turn Off' facility on the 'Start' button.

Any ideas please as to what might be causing this?
Pages Cascading Down? - normd2
sticky / stuck key on the keyboard or mouse perhaps?
Pages Cascading Down? - drbe
I will investigate that. It is a virtually brand-new keyboard and mouse, but I will see if I can find anything untoward.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Outlook XP - where's my Subject box/field gone? - local yokel
No crashes, not been playing/tweaking anything, and when I ask it to open a new message or filed message the subject box is not there. Can't seem to find it under Options -> Customize. Any ideas, as it's driving me nuts.
Outlook XP - where's my Subject box/field gone? - Pugugly {P}
Click on the grey tool bar at the top (where the fro to subject) a dialog box should open click on clomuns and then tick box subject and it will re-appear.