Computer Related Questions - Volume 136 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 137 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 136. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Terminally ill PC after being dropped, from vol135 - billy25
>>.who sold me a new hard drive which has, to a certain extent, fixed the problem.

However, as soon as I started installing the broadband I got a message telling me that I must visit some registry fixing website immediately as I had 55 critical registry errors.<<

How can this be if installing a ?new? broadband set-up from ISP?S CD on a ?New? H/drive?
There are two scenario?s that I forsee!

1)
I suggest you may have also transferred ?something ? nasty as well as the Windows operating system from your ?old? hard drive, to your new h/drive.
You also state that you were in the process of ?installing? broadband,- but not actually ?on the net? when you received the messages, so if you weren?t connected it would be unusual for you to be infected so quick, if at all!.
2)
The second (and most likely ) scenario I can think of is: if the computer was working perfectly before you knocked it off the sofa, then it cant have a virus, and the ?check cable? message is more than likely to be correct!
At the end of the day, selling you a new hard drive for?£xx is better than plugging a lead back in for £x.

Billy

Terminally ill PC after being dropped, from vol135 - Citroënian {P}
>>However, as soon as I started installing the broadband I got a message telling me that I must visit some registry fixing website immediately as I had 55 critical registry errors.

Sounds very fishy. If you're connected to the Internet, don't go to their website but visit lavasoft and download adaware and run that.

I'm assuming you've got the windows firewall on, (I'm also assuming windows!!), windows update is up to date and you've got current and functioning anti-virus? Which version of Windows is it?

Terminally ill PC after being dropped, from vol135 - Stuartli
There are many sites on the Net offering to undergo malware, spyware etc checks - invariably they come up with "infections" to persuade you to buy their product to "cure" them.

Take Citroënian {P}'s advice and download Ad-Aware 2007, immediately update it and then do a full scan.

The easiest place to download it from is:

www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/

Also worth adding Search and Destroy from:

www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/ (updates normally issued every Wednesday). This is a new Beta version, but you can still download 1.4 from this link.

If you don't have an Anti-Virus measure (although I'm sure you have), then the Home Edition of Avast! is excellent:

www.avast.com/eng/programs.html

It automatically updates itself and provides both a written and spoken confirmation; after installing it, use the Registration page to extend the normal 60 day period to around a year, but make sure you check the box that it is for Personal use.

The new licence key is sent via e-mail and should be copied and pasted into the licence key box from Avast!'s settings configuration.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Terminally ill PC after being dropped, from vol135 - Sim-O
if the popup box is a windows box with the title 'Messenger' go to

vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/messenger.htm

and follow the instructions.

Also run your anti spyware program.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Terminally ill PC after being dropped, from vol135 - Blue {P}
Thanks for all the advice people!

To answer as many of the points as I can think of:-

The shop never actually got their hands on the laptop itself, my dad fitted a new HDD that they sold me and after doing so we brought it back from the dead, however, the check cable message is still there. I think this may be the computer trying to load an OS over a network that isn't there?

I had actually got the connection up and running, and it had been for a minute or two when the messages came up on the screen, I can't remember what the title of the error box was, but it definitely didn't look like a normal Windows pop up. I've checked with the website listed and it looked similar to the Messenger Service popup so perhas that is the answer.

I followed the advice I was given on the last thread, installed everything from scratch again using the manufacturer's CD, installed Zone Alarm and AVG *before* connecting to the net, and then installed all of my software. The PC is now running normally as far as I can tell. (I'm typing on it now!)

I can't possibly have transferred anything from the old HDD to the new one as they were never in the same computer at the same time, and I only ever put the original Windows CD and the ISP's CD into the machine after getting it going again so I'm fairly convinced that I was hugely unlucky and managed to get something nasty immediately after connecting.

I've just downloaded Ad Aware and it asked for a serial number, it seems to work without one but won't allow me to switch on the real time protection, am I right in thinking that you have to pay for this feature?

Thanks again for everyone's help, I can promise you that my laptop and my bank manager are both very happy that you've saved it from an almost certain death!

Blue
Terminally ill PC after being dropped, from vol135 - johnsnc
The check cable message comes when the machine is trying to PXE boot over the network. You should be able to get around this by going into the BIOS setting for the machine and setting your bootup sequence to something like floppy / cdrom / harddisk and make sure 'network' doesn't preceed any of these. In fact remove 'network' from the startup sequence if you can .
Dads new Dell - virus protection - BazzaBear {P}
My dad has got a new Dell computer, which came with a 3 month McAfee trial. Now I have no particular confidence in McAfee, and would under normal circumstances make installing Grisoft's AVG a priority for him.
The computer uses Vista though (despite my advice). Anyone know if AVG is compatible?
Same questions for Adaware and S&D Spybot if anyone knows?
Dads new Dell - virus protection - Stuartli
Ad-Aware 2007 is not officially Vista compatible:

www.lavasoft.com/support/faq_aaw2007.php

The new S and D 1.5 Beta is stated to be for all versions of Windows:

www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

AVG is Vista compatible:

www5.grisoft.com/doc/2210/us/crp/2
Dads new Dell - virus protection - SpamCan61 {P}
From previous personal experience the tricky bit will be removing all traces of McAfee from the Dell :-/, unless you're familiar with msconfig and regedit :-/
Dads new Dell - virus protection - Stuartli
As with the Norton Removal Tool, McAfee has its own version:

www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal...l
Dads new Dell - virus protection - Chicken Vindaloo
BB,

Have a look here www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=46...6

All the best,
CV
Dads new Dell - virus protection - Chicken Vindaloo
Apologies if the link doesn't work - I should have checked before posting. Basically it was a list of things to remove from a brand new Dell PC to get rid of all the unwanted dross.
Dads new Dell - virus protection - cheddar
Now days best to buy a Dell from small business dept, just a click of the mouse online or a different option when calling, better value and they commit to not supplying unwanted freeware.
Dads new Dell - virus protection - Mike H
I've just put the free version of AVG on my Vista computer, seems OK and installed with no errors - but I did only do it last night!
Free Ringtones? - drbe
I have just got a new mobile phone - Nokia 6300. The ringtones that came with it are rubbish. how can I get some decent ones please?

I have tried Googling "free ringtones", but the sites that come up all have a curious definition of the word "free".

If it's any help I have a cable to connect my phone to my PC.

I perhaps should add that I am not looking for anything too wayout, perhaps standard old-fashioned English phone ring and/or some of the gentle classics.
Free Ringtones? - Altea Ego
Does it play MP3s as ringtones?

If so rip your own to PC from CD
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Free Ringtones? - Welliesorter
If you want an actual recording of a phone ringing, try the sixth link at www.seg.co.uk/telecomm/sounds.htm .

I use this as the ring tone on my mobile. I also used to have the sound of an old-fashioned dial tone for when I switched it on, but soon got bored with this.

You may need to convert wav files to MP3.

See www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/liste...0 for more on the subject.
Free Ringtones? - drbe
Thank you for those. I suspect a fairly steep learning curve for one of my limited expertise, but here we go!
Free Ringtones? - GroovyMucker
PU: I've just managed to get onto the two sites mentioned above with no trouble, and I'm using Firefox.

What error message do you get? Could it be a firewall problem?
Free Ringtones? - GroovyMucker
(I mean those that welliesorter refers to.)

Now moved to the appropriate part of the thread - DD
Free Ringtones? - SpamCan61 {P}
>>perhaps standard old-fashioned English phone ring

Most recent Nokias have 'nostalgia.aac' in the standard ringtone list, which should be pretty close to what you want.
Free Ringtones? - drbe
My 6300 doesn't have nostalgia.aac as standard. After a lot of work I have managed to download it from 'Fone Fun Forum'. Some very useful tips on there - but not quite as much fun as the name might suggest!

Thanks for the info.
Vista and Firefox. - Pugugly {P}
Works well (both elements) but Firefox won't let me log into this site, IE7 does with no trouble, any ideas ?
Vista and Firefox. - Stuartli
Try from FF's Tools>Security tab>Warn Me When sites try to install add-ons, listing the HJ website as being Allowed from the Exceptions button.

However, I don't have any problems with either FF or IE on any website: FF is my main browser and always the latest version, currently 2.0.0.6.
What's for you won't pass you by
I'll try that, basically, I write in my e-mail address, then my password and it just blanks the entry fields and invites me to log in....
Vista and Firefox. - GroovyMucker
Wor lass gets that with IE when she's rejected a cookie. MacAfee remembers. You have to add the site to the "Trusted" sites.
Vista and Firefox. - Dalglish
i have heard that on vista machines, firefox may require users to log in as administrators to allow certain actions.
mozilla advise that you get round this as follows: " Firefox may require you to be logged in as an administrator. As a workaround, to launch Firefox, right-click the icon and choose "Run As Administrator". "

Dalglish I am not worthy. Did that and it worked like a dream.....it even automatically logged me in without going into the log in page.....no doubt there will be a "fix" from the nice people from Mozzila soon.
--
PU without his Mod Hard Hat on !
Vista and Firefox. - Stuartli
Apologies - I missed the Vista bit until too late and have just come back to the thread...:-(

Glad it's worked...:-)
What is the best deal on a family PC .... - cheddar
......... a desktop tower, not laptop, preferably Intel, h/d size not an issue though reasonable graphics requ as is a DVD-RW drive. No monitor required, nor keybard and mouse for that matter though no probs if the latter are included.

XP Pro prefered, otherwise XP MCE or XP Home would be second choice, though I might now put toe in the Vista waters with Home Premium or Business.

Thanks.
What is the best deal on a family PC .... - Pugugly {P}
I would recommend a Medion one from Woolies. Aged parent is on his second (original was a Windows ME - which still actually works). Does what it says on the box and a a reasonable price, well made and solid build quality as well. Unlike some BIG names who quote a cheap price but are very basic and need expensive add-ons to be competitive.
What is the best deal on a family PC .... - Stuartli
Several "base units" from basic specifications to dual core models on offer at BigPockets at very keen prices:

tinyurl.com/22gq7y

Good, reliable firm to deal with.

Machine has 'reset' itself. - daveyjp
Turned my machine on this morning and it's like a new machine has been delivered - all my settings have been lost. Desktop wallpaper defaulted to blue rather than the picture I had, e-mail personal folders gone, cookies gone, website favourites still there, default path pointing to the folder where my documents are stored have reset themselves to a default location, task bar has lost shortcuts to programmes, various documents which were on the desktop are no longer there and MSN messenger launches at start up. Various programmes lost including Palm synching software, Acrobat has gone back to version 6.

Anyone know what has happned and is it terminal?

Machine is running Windows 2000.
Machine has 'reset' itself. - Victorbox
Sounds like a corrupted Registry to me. If the PC was OK yesterday & you haven't disabled the System Restore function, I would (possibly after trying any other suggestions made here) try doing a System Restore to the day before the problem appeared. The PC should create a Restore Point at each successful boot up so you should have a few dates to choose from.

I've not used Win 2K but I assume it is the same as Windows XP.... Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. You can always reverse the System Restore back if it doesn't fix the issue.
Machine has 'reset' itself. - daveyjp
W2000 has no system restore facility. The best way to describe it is someone coming into your house and removing all your belongings from your cupbaords and putting them in different cupboards! Everything I had before the problem is still on the machine. I noticed Google Earth wasn't on the Program list under the start menu, but it's still there if I do a search, as is all my Palm software and items I had on teh desktopn on still in the folder, but in a different folder location.

Managed to get my personal folders back for e-mails which was the main concern - outlook just needed pointing back to the .pst file.
Machine has 'reset' itself. - SpamCan61 {P}
I've just had a quick scan through this article, maybe some useful info?:-

support.microsoft.com/kb/822705/en-us
Machine has 'reset' itself. - MichaelR
Are you sure you've not accidently logged onto the machine as another user?
USB help please - normd2
I have an ageing pentium 3 at home which is due to be replaced soon - I'll be watching replies to Cheddar's post carefully - but the two USB ports seem to be malfuntioning all of a sudden.
Plug in a USB optical mouse and the lights come on but no cursor. Plug in any known good device and it's not seen. Device Manager reports 'this device is functioning correctly' - any ideas welcome. I ran a virus scan and 10 trojans were deleted, nothing else found.
USB help please - Victorbox
"Plug in any known good device and it's not seen. Device Manager reports 'this device is functioning correctly"

Bit confused how the device cannot be seen (in Device Manager??), but Device Manager shows it as working correctly? Is there an entry for Universal Serial Bus Controller in Device Manager? If not has USB been accidentally disabled in the PC's BIOS?

If you are sure it is the PC & not the USB device & as the PC is due to be changed shortly, you could experiment by removing the Universal Serial Bus Controller reference in Device Manager (if it is there) & let Windows re-detect it on boot up & set itself up again.

If was me, I would pick up a cheap USB2 PCI card (£10 to £20) & see if that works OK which could then indicate faulty existing USB sockets. Probably not feasible if PC is due to be junked soon.
USB help please - normd2
I'm thoroughly confused too - tried re-installing the drivers and it just says is can't find (from the xp cd) any better s/w than that installed. Took my usb mouse home from work - light comes on but no cursor no movement. Taking my plastic to Tesco at lunchtime...
Hasta la Vista baby...
USB help please - Stuartli
See:

www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm (and similar pages on the website) for information about USB and drivers for different devices.
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - injection doc
Is it me or has the type gone small on the screen? may be I just getting old but sorry folks I having a job to read it. I just bought a 21'' flat screen but still no better. What I can manage to read I will try & help.
Regards Doc

Brought in here for company - PU
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - BobbyG
Still looks the same size to me as it always has!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - Dynamic Dave
Must be you. No change here.
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - milkyjoe
you need to jiggle around in your computer settings , either that or get an eye test , i did and i ve been diagnosed with diabetis the sooner you sort it the better ....good luck
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - Stuartli
You are probably using a higher resolution than previously, which reduces the size of the fonts.

If you have Firefox, use Ctrl and or - to enlarge or reduce the text size and, in Internet Explorer, Ctrl moving your mouse's scroll wheel for the same result.
What's for you won't pass you by
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - rtj70
OP, TFT screens have a native resolution which is based on the horizontal and vertical number of pixels. A bigger TFT flat screen monitor has the same size (and possiby smaller) pixels compared to a smaller screen - you just get more of them.If you don't use this native resolution you can end up with poor quality display or even blurred display.

Now if this was a CRT 21" monitor you could run it at a resolution that made the pixels bigger with affecting the display quality.

If all you want is to make text bigger in a web browser, then suggestions above to change the font-size will work. If you want to change the size of text for everything like icons etc. then you will need to change the display properties (under Appearance tab) to change the font-size from Normal to Large or even Extra Large.

Strange swear filter when you cannot type f-o-n-t s-i-z-e (without the dashes). Maybe I should have said typeface but if you go to Display Properties - Appearance and want to change the text size it actually refers to f-o-n-t s-i-z-e.
And don't people get christened in a font or should that be f-o-n-t.
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - Altea Ego
Font s-i-z-e is an HTML command those some of used to play around with the look of postings so it was banned by use of the swear filter not sure if marquis managed ot get through
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - Dynamic Dave
not sure if marquis managed ot get through

No, that's in there as well. But as you spelt it incorrectly, the filter didn't pick it up ;o)

DD.
I've had the same problem in the past writing about fonts...:-)
Smaller fonts despite larger screen - VR6
Same here. The text size has gone small, a little narrower. All other websites look normal so can't be the settings
See:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=55...r
PCI-e graphics extra 6 pin power connector ? - cheddar
Hi,

Re my 8600GTS I have a "Y" piece comprising two Molex connectors into one 6 pin PCI-e extra power connector. When I connect the PC PSU to one of the Molex connectors I get a low graphics power warning, when I connect to the other all seems fine.

However I am not sure whether I should have BOTH connected?

On the otherhand if both needed connecting then surely this would be done by dual cables in one connector or shorted pins because it is only 12v + & - afterall.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
PCI-e graphics extra 6 pin power connector ? - Altea Ego
Assuming the 6 pin PCI-e connector is on the card, and the two molex connectors are hanging off that cable, you need both connected as I seem to recall you are supplying more than one pin on the 6 pin cable.

Isnt the extra power to the card +5 volts?
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
PCI-e graphics extra 6 pin power connector ? - rtj70
The two Molex connectors probably get traced back to a different circuit in the power supply - hence one seems okay and the other not. I'd google PSU's because there is a myth you need lots of watts and that is not the case. There are inefficient power supplies. Might even need a new PSU to sort your problems.
The way I understand it is that the mobo supplies up to 75w which is sufficient for most cards (i.e. the 8600GT), the PCI-e adaptor is required if a card is likely to exceed 75w (i.e. the 8600GTS).

One thought is that the extra power 6 pin is supposed to be connected to two rails on the PSU hence the two Molex connectors. However (as per above) it will only need to supply relatively little extra power hence I dont see why the 6 pin connector would need to be connected to two rails on the PSU.

My issue is that the two Molexes connect to different pins on the 6 pin plug, when I use one Molex I get a low power warning though when I use the other all is fine so it seems that the other pins do not need to be connected.

The extra feed is 12v only, this by both the cable position in the Molex and by being measured.

Perhaps the "Y" adaptor is designed to be universal and work with many different cards / devices so it has two different Molex wiring combinations for different applications. So in my application I only need to connect one of them?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I think I would agree on te Y adaptor being universal. If you have a spare molex on a rail not being used then that should supply the necessary power. Someone not without your knowledge might not know about power rails (well they won't) and who knows what PSU there is. Maybe two molex connectors on the same power rail via the Y connector would work too.

If one via the Y connector works then I think you have a working solution.

Assume this is the upgraded old PC then.
Yes, it is my old (well 18 month old) PC upgraded.

It is a bit complicated though I was using it for business before ordering a new high end business system, it then became the family PC for a few weeks however the ATI graphics card failed so it was running Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics (useful having GMA as a backup).

The new system has been returned to Dell due to onging display issues (not the excellent FP2007 monitor though, the probs were mobo/graphics related it seems) so this PC is back in mainstream use hence the new card. The returned system had an 8600GTS so if I was buying this new card now some few weeks later I would probably get a different model, perhaps an ATI 2600 instead in case the probs with the returned system were due to the 8600GTS alone.

Nevertheless this PC seems to be working fine and has all the bells and whistles so I think I will now get a new family PC instead of a new business PC, contrary to the plan 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Regards.
Cheddar it's complicated but I've previously read all the details ;-)

If you can hang on for a new family PC.... things CPU wise in terms of price and performance will change a lot in a few months. Intel still best (I hate to admit) but AMD has it's new CPU architecture on the way.

Me I still have a Pentium 3,6GHz even though I did not want Intel at the time.... from the ex-PC4Home scheme and so very cheap. Yes they might want it back but it will be worthless. Upgraded the grahpics straight away in early 2006.
The AMD multicore CPU is a way off retail ship yet, they have fab problems.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
You missed the point ched.

You have two 4 pin molex connectors. Two for +5 two for + 12v
You have one 6 pin PCI plug that requires TWO +5v feeds
BOTH +5v are required to feed DIFFERENT pins on the 6 pin PCIe

You card is moaning now about lack of volts cos it has none, give it one and it shuts up - it will moan AGAIN in hard use because the other is missing.

It needs both +5v
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
You missed the point ched.

No but thanks amigo. Molex has 4 pins one of which is 5v + however neither of the two Molex connectors in question have a cable to the 5v + pins so whichever or both are connected, the card will only get 12v.

Hmm!

To clarify, Molex has four pins:

[Yellow (or white) 12v +] [Black gnd] [Black gnd] [Red 5v +]

On the "Y" piece the Red cable is missing on both ends, otherwise one end is normal Molex,
i.e.:
[Yellow 12v +] [Black gnd] [Black gnd] [--------]

On the other end the Molex has two Yellow wires into the Yellow pin, these go to different pins on the 6 pin PCI-e plug, and only one Black,
i.e:
[Yellow x2 12v +] [Black gnd] [--------] [--------]

It is the latter one that when connected all works fine with no error messages.

However I think I am now sure that the other one does not need to be connected because I can measure 12v across its yellow and either of its black pins. This is not direct from the PSU via the Molex because it is connected to diferent pins in the 6 pin plug so it must be picking this current up from the card.

Makes me think that the "Y" piece is a universal adaptor hence being a "Y" and not a direct connector.

So the mobo etc is off one rail of the PSU and the graphics card and the power for the DVD-RW and DVD-ROM drives are off the other rail.

Seems OK to me.

Any thoughts?
Irritating iPOD problem. - Pugugly {P}

Just downloaded some poetry tracks (yes I know), unfortunately these tracks merge together when
played back on my computer, This happens with music tracks as well. A solution would be helpful.
Irritating iPOD problem. - SpamCan61 {P}
Just to be clear PU, are you saying that you hit the play button once, and the iPod plays back everything on the player?
No not quite, when in playback on the computer there's no gap between the tracks....
Irritating iPOD problem. - GroovyMucker
In iTunes on the PC you can use Edit>Preferences>Playback to set the crossfade time. I think your problem is probably that there is no silent bit at the end of the track - it's built-in, I think, with albums. You could try adding 2 seconds of silence to each track using Audacity, which is free, but it's a bit of a bodge.
Irritating iPOD problem. - Citroënian {P}
PU, I'm running the latest iTunes on my mac and have found these in the help section:

"To fade the audio between songs:
Choose iTunes > Preferences, and then click the Playback button at the top of the window.
To hear songs fade in and out, select Crossfade Playback.
To decrease or increase the amount of time it takes for the current song to fade out at the end and the new song to fade in, drag the "seconds" slider left or right.
If you deselect Crossfade Playback, songs play without fading between songs."

Crossfade is a real pain on my iPod, it works in a really dumb way - maybe this is causing the problem?

"To set the pause length between songs:
Choose iTunes > Preferences.
Click Advanced and then click Burning.
Choose a setting from the Gap Between Songs pop-up menu."

Although that is for when you burn the tracks to CD, not direct iPod playback

hth
Thanks C....just read this...
finally bought a new PC - normd2
Well, I went and did it last night, 250gb drive, 3gHz CPU, 2mb RAM, 19" tft, all sexy black and silver with an all-in-one printer/scanner thingy and VISTA. Hooked up my USB adsl modem and the whole lot crashed - I'm going to pick up a router on the way home tonight. The question, however, is how do I get back on the internet? Where on the old (XP pro) pc do I find the number it dials to connect to my ISP?- I assume that's all it needs? The support at my ISP is a bit lacking...
finally bought a new PC - rtj70
ADSL modems dial nothing they are always connected to the ADSL equipment at the exchange end. You might need logon details for the router mind not always.
finally bought a new PC - Altea Ego
Whats crashed mean? please describe the symptoms.

Being vista, and a USB device I suspect its a driver issue for your usb adsl modem. wise move to
dump it

To use your new router you need to know your ISP account identity (your user name or something like that) and a password
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
crashed - tried to install usb modem driver - blue screen with lots of writing on it followed by an immediate power down, not trying that again.

ISP account identity? ie normd2@plusdsl.net & password ? and it'll go off and find my ISP Plusnet? It's not that easy is it?

ps I'm not known as normd2 anywhere else than here.
finally bought a new PC - Altea Ego
It depends what you buy.

What are you buying? a router or a USB adsl modem?

If its a router, you will need a netwrok interface on your PC (probably has one most do now)
You plug the network cable between your PC and router. Follow the instructions to find your router, and then yes, you just put your account id and password into the router and away you doodle.

I would always recomend a router over a USB modem for the very reasons you encountered - Nasty USB driver issues
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
going for a wireless router so #1 son can use his laptop on the net at the same time as #1 daughter who hogs the pc for messenger, bebo etc etc I'll see what Curry's can be persuaded to sell me on the way home. (yes I know I could buy something better, faster, sexier on-line but hey-ho )
and it's a Zoom X6 - easiest thing in the world to install and thanks to Altea Ego's advice worked first time! 'scuse me, off to do some surfing.
finally bought a new PC - SpamCan61 {P}
The info you need should be here:-

Start > settings > control panel > internet options > connections

and then highlight your USB modem in the " Dial up and virtual private network settings" and click the "settings" button to the right.

At least that's where mine were.

Explore the Sky - Stuartli
Just for information.

The latest version of Google Earth includes an Explore the Sky feature.

Download at:

earth.google.com/

Details at:

earth.google.com/sky/skyedu.html
A way to stop photos appearing in Gallery? - PoloGirl
Our new Vista PC comes with Windows Picture Gallery installed. What this seems to do is catalogue every image on the PC according to the tag you've given it, date it was taken etc etc. All very useful, except, there doesn't seem to be a way to choose what pictures go into the gallery, even if you bury them deep in My Documents. The PC seems to detect image files and automatically adds them to the gallery.

Rest assured I have no dodgy photos (!) but it's a pain for my dad when he wants to go through his photos, to see pages and pages of mine pop up.

Anyone know a way to specify which photos are added to the gallery, or are we stuck with it?

Thanks

A way to stop photos appearing in Gallery? - Stuartli
This is what WPG does:

tinyurl.com/29sl9t

Some more useful info:

www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_photogal...p

which also includes the recommendation to use Picasa2 (which is what I use for editing and printing photo files on to an Epson R300).
A way to stop photos appearing in Gallery? - Baskerville
I second the recommendation of Picasa. Works great on Linux at any rate. But I thought Vista had more or less properly separate user accounts. Why don't you give your Dad an account of his own?
A way to stop photos appearing in Gallery? - cheddar
Yes, a user account is the answer.
Sky broadband - Civic8
Has anyone got it and is it any good,virgin are playing around with the speed so sometimes its no faster than dial up,depending on reports I may change to sky TIA

Sky broadband - Stuartli
There are as many complaints about Sky as Virgin (and Tiscali et al) on the computer forums.

Try the Sky User website:

www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-feedback/
Sky broadband - bell boy
it seems to be pot luck these days with internet ,my broadband at work drops out every 15 minutes and nobody wants to know (wanadoo/orange or watever its called tommorrow)
at home here i have blueyonder/virgin or whatever its called tomorrow cable and even this goes to snails pace occasionally
Sky broadband - Stuartli
I've been with TalkTalk for 18 months - after a few initial problems (due to the sheer demand at the time) I had a 2MB connection that was superior and more consistent than Tiscali (about 1.9MB average).

Since TT's LLU equipment was installed in my local exchange in February, I get 6MB-6.9MB at all times of the day.

Considering I pay just £20.99 a month for BB, free Anytime UK calls, free AnyTime calls to 30 countries and the BT line rental is included, I regard it as the best package on the market (TT International3).

I used to pay £14.99 for BB, £11 line rental and phone calls on top of that, so I'm saving a hefty sum annually.
Sky broadband - Civic8
>>Considering I pay just £20.99 a month for BB

With the TV package its £10 a month 16MB though the line test showed 5.5MB also will be running 2 other Pc`s off the wireless router, but I think i`ll give them a go see what happens.

2 years ago I had for a few months BT`s 4 MB but it kept dropping out,so they reduced me to 2MB and was fine after that,untill they found out the outside line was damaged so they said it could now cope with 4MB but never took the offer up,soon see what sky is like...

Virgin I wont be going back to, they tell you one thing and do another but dont know they have done it (if you see what I mean) Takes ages to sort anything out
Sky broadband - Stuartli
>>Considering I pay just £20.99 a month for BB>>

You've left out the whole of the remainder of the sentence...:-)

In effect, I get "up to 8MB" BB and free AnyTime UK and international calls for £9.99 a month.

No other ISP comes anywhere near that.
Sky broadband - Civic8
>>You've left out the whole of the remainder of the sentence...:-)
Oops

TT has too many problems around this area,Bt have already done a deal with the phone so I get nat/calls included in line rental for a year (I dont need international calls) but yes you do have a good deal....

Be interesting to see what sky is like