Fabia/VW 1.4 16v Piston Ring Problem - stardust
Hi,

Can anyone tell me why the 16v engine can suffer with piston ring problems after as low as 30,000 miles?

Cheers

Stardust
Fabia/VW 1.4 16v Piston Ring Problem - bell boy

can you elaborate?
i must add ive never fancied one of those twin belted 1400"s mind, they look a nightmare to work on
Fabia/VW 1.4 16v Piston Ring Problem - Screwloose
stardust

Which horsepower 1.4?
Hi,

100bhp, apparently this is a known problem, just wondered why this is?

Stardust
stardust

The 100 hp 1.4 must be run on 98 octane or they won't make it to 60K. The dealers know all about this as they often try and fob them off until they're out of warranty. Getting 100hp out of a 1.4 comes at a price; an exciting, but short, life. The 1.6FSi is much the same.

It's uneconomic to fit a new engine into a three year old car; so they usually get scrapped - for quite reasonable money.
Fabia/VW 1.4 16v Piston Ring Problem - wrangler_rover
I have a January 2005 Fabia 1.4 16v 100hp, 17k miles, it was my fathers, I inherited the car last October. To the best of my knowledge, my father always ran it on 95 octane unleades & so have I. I've just checked inside the fuel filler & it says 98/95 RON. The handbook states "Engines which need unleaded premium petrol 98 RON can also be run on unleaded regular petrol 95 RON, this does however result in a slight loss in performance. I'm wondering if I should give it a tank of 98 octane unleaded & see if there is any difference.
So can you explain what actually happens by running on 95 octane as mine does pink sometimes and has done 52,000 but uses no oil.

Who sells 98 octane then or can an additive be added to the fuel?

Stardust
Fabia/VW 1.4 16v Piston Ring Problem - Pugugly {P}
Shell VPower. (for example) When we bought our Golf GTi the dealer feigned ignorance on this point. The Manual is explicit - consequently it drinks nothing else.
stardust

If run on 95, they lose compression and develop all sorts of weird codes and symptoms - and a marked reluctance to start from cold.

Oil consumption isn't the main problem.

See s/l you don't need other buttons - your typo corrected ! - PU