DVLA personal plates. - mal
I have got my eye on a registration plate that would go on my car nicely as it is the same prefix letter, nothing personal, just nicely symmetrical with the addition of a black plastic screw head in a strategic place.
Yes I know they are a waste of money but I have been mulling over this plate for a few years now and if I do not make the move and find it eventually taken I am going to be kicking myself.
Anyway, I had a look at the ordering process and was thinking I would be able to do it al online only to find that as well as taking money off me for the plate they also want me to ring an 0870 number to do the business, does anyone know how long the process takes.
These numbers really rile me and if it takes too long this might just be enough for me to change my mind.
DVLA personal plates. - Doc
>
they also want me to ring an 0870 number to
do the business

Try 01792 782341 and ask for personalised registrations.

Thanks for that Doc, didn't think there would be a geographical number for them and I never even bothered to try the "say no to 0870" to find one.
Looks like I am going to increase the government coffers by a few hundred quid.
Wonder which civil servant came up with the brilliant idea of selling unreleased numbers ?, and if he was handsomely rewarded for it!.
It has made the government millions through people like me throwing money at them.
DVLA personal plates. - Pugugly {P}
Indeed.
To have the desired effect I propose to close the gap between the number and the three letters as well as the addition of the black screw to alter the appearance of a letter. I know this is strictly against DVLA regulations but from what I have seen on other cars the plod do not seem to bother. I have seen plates in the past where it has taken me and SWMBO some time to work out what it should be but the combination I am thinking of will be obvious to plod anyone what it should be.
I would imagine if they were absolutely strict on the rules it would not be in the governments interests, although on the DVLA site they do say they would rather the plate was not bought if it were to be misrepresented......... bit hypocritical don't you think!!.
Yes, whatever I trust you're wearing your tin hat for the flack you're about to unleash.
Been expecting it since the first posting!........I have seen plenty in the past in this forum on the same subject.
Oh and on a matter of Police practice around here, if you go through an ANPR camera and it gets a mis-read expect to be studying the rear number plate of a Police bike as the book you.
DVLA personal plates. - PhilDews
Don't listen to them though...

I'm thinking about buying my second plate (or more precisely the wife), it might be expensive for what it is, but then its probably only equivalent to about 6months cigarettes or (in my case when I was younger) about a months worth of nights outs...
DVLA personal plates. - Vin {P}
If I called my wife a plate I'd get a thump. And if I suggested I had to buy her I'd get a clump.

Personalised reg is OK with me, but only if it is instantly understandable. When you have to decipher a plate, it just makes me laugh. Isn't there one suitable for you that doesn't need modifying?

As the owner of one (which needed no modifying) I can tell you that they reserve the right to remove the plate from you if you're picked up with it altered in any way.

V

PhilDews, are you also going to misrepresent the numbers and letters to achieve the desired effect?.
DVLA personal plates. - Westpig
you only get two goes, (if my memory is correct) and after that DVLA can withdraw your right to have the number.

if the police report the misuse of the number to DVLA you'll get a warning letter...2nd time cheerio plate

whilst misaligned plates are minor traffic offences, the advice re ANPR usage above is valid, thus causing you to be stopped, which might be inconvenient and might end up with you being reported to DVLA and/or with a fixed penalty notice
DVLA personal plates. - PhilDews
Sorry - should have said that both my current plate and the one I'm looking at buying spell out the words with no none-standard fonts, spacing or bolts required!!
DVLA personal plates. - martint123
My local software house has had all the private plates "put back to normal" after the boss got done twice.
Plod don't seem too worried, but as people have said, if they upset an ANPR van, they will get very carefully looked at and measured. They're also getting more closely looked at when MOTs are done.

I know someone who got a couple of great plates, not needing tweaking, for their base price and got rid of them on ebay for 5 and 7 grand. The DVLA and dealers must have been going crosseyed that day and missed them.
Read in the paper that SN07 hasn't being issued in March as, the reporter assumed, that the 7 could be converted to a T...
DVLA personal plates. - BobbyG
Yeah PU, SN is for Edinburgh but they are not issuing the 07 plates for the reason you gave. When asked if they would be issuing 08 (SNOB) the DVLA said they hadn't thought that far ahead!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
DVLA personal plates. - Brian Tryzers
Perhaps I should apply for snippednow.
};---)

Highly creative way of getting around the swear filter - should be applauded, but snipped it instead ! - PU
DVLA personal plates. - Tornadorot
Read in the paper that SN07 hasn't being issued in March as the reporter assumed
that the 7 could be converted to a T...

Yes, the DVLA are issuing TN07 xxx numbers instead, which make a bit of a mockery of the whole registration system ('S' being for Scotland after all).
DVLA personal plates. - Roly93
You are just creating one more reason to be pulled over as far as I can see.
DVLA personal plates. - Mad Maxy
... just nicely symmetrical with the
addition of a black plastic screw head in a strategic place.

Oh Mal, please no...
DVLA personal plates. - Dulwich Estate
Madness.

To save money, why not just change your name by deed poll to LK53 BRK (made up no.) or whatever. Apparently it's really easy to change your name these days. Then, no hassles with cameras or plod.

In the meantime I'll just hang on to my very own utterly unique number which came with the car when I bought it.
DVLA personal plates. - c0cky
Even better, and without the hassle of changing your name.

Get a piece of A4 paper, write 'My name is ...' and stick it in your back window.
DVLA personal plates. - bell boy
change your name to crystal ford and the stickers already there
As I said I was expecting the flack and it seems to have arrived.
I wouldn't want a name related plate, means nowt to me, what I was proposing was going to look symmetrical, no Mal in it anywhere.
It wasn't long ago I might have spent a lot more on a younger car thanks to a rich uncle who passed away but decided to spend it on the house instead so a few hundred on a plate was not going to hurt me.
I already have a dateless plate sitting on an old Honda 50cc moped but it is nondescript, unless as you suggest I change my name by deed poll to Lawrence Charles Unsworth :-).
At this moment in time I have not taken the plunge and I am taking all your comments on board especially those which mention the ANPR system.
If I decide not to go ahead I will reveal the plate I was considering.
DVLA personal plates. - Citroënian {P}
>>A4 paper in back window

LOL! I can see that would work, excellent idea
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
DVLA personal plates. - oilrag

There`s a crackdown near where I live.

Cut&Paste

"During the month-long campaign, Bradford North Police stopped more than 260 vehicles with illegal number plates. £30 fixed penalty notices were issued to most of the drivers.
Bradford North CID?s Detective Inspector Noel Devine said making it impossible to trace the vehicle if it is involved in an accident, plates were often altered to create personalised numbers. Registration thefts are strongly linked to false plates.
Many of the cars stopped were also uninsured or untaxed."

Source

www.thebestof.co.uk/bradford-central/news/45669

That's that then !! definitley not going to buy the plate now!!
DVLA personal plates. - FotheringtonThomas
>> the addition of a black plastic screw head in a strategic place.

A bit sad - IMO advertises the fact, much like the people who drive along with fogs on but no headlights...
>>>>A bit sad - IMO advertises the fact,<<<< you having a go at me :-)
DVLA personal plates. - Westpig
why do people have to be all apologetic over personal plates.......i.e. why are they in the position that others make them feel uncomfortable about it?

surely it's each to their own...if you don't like the idea, why get all sneery with others that do?

i've got one on my car........and like the fact my name is spelt out and i can keep it now for every car I own.......bought one for 'er indoors which was a bit cheesy, but it went down well: my first initial, the number 4, then her 3 initials (after we got married)...e.g. A4ABC

couldn't care less if others think it's naff.......there's plenty of things i think are naff, but other's don't (seemingly) and good luck to them......who am i to look down my nose at them.
DVLA personal plates. - jc2
Man round here is always getting stopped-no bolt heads or odd spacing-just AMP15T-I wonder why?
DVLA personal plates. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Last time this went round the houses in the Backroom I mentioned the idea, revived above by c0cky, to just put your name in the back window of your car for nothing. If my name was Ted (which it isn't!) why would I want to buy a plate with TED on it? One of 25 million cars on the road, who cares what the driver's name is! The government has latched onto an excellent money maker, rasing funds from sad people with large egos and large wallets IMO!
And keeping our taxes down (a bit) in the process, AS. Even sadder than making a number out of the owner's name (NEV near me, I'm watching you 'cos you're a menace!) is buying a plate incorporating details of the car. If I want 'V70' or 'BMW' on the back of my car, I'm pretty sure the manufacturer will include a badge to that effect in the price I pay. But, like speed cameras (sees wasps' nest; pokes with stick) it's a form of voluntary taxation and I'm all for that.
DVLA personal plates. - Armitage Shanks {p}
WDB - can't say I've noticed my taxes down by even £0.00000001p since DVLA started selling reg plates! No way the public will reap any benefit from this con trick IMO!
Ah, but who's to say how much they'd have gone up without it?
DVLA personal plates. - ijws15
I presume you meant how much MORE . . .
DVLA personal plates. - LHM
Armitage Shanks - do you have personalised sanitaryware by any chance? ;-)
DVLA personal plates. - normd2
you don't live in Aberdeen do you mal? :)

link to a BBC news video clip:

tinyurl.com/29a8sy

DVLA personal plates. - billy25
A local chap has just sold two of his personal plates on Ebay, one CEO 1 went for a staggering £154000, his other CEO 2 went for around £10 000 - must be some big ego's in business!!
You'd need to be a peculiar kind of egomaniac to want CEO 2.