Damaged security nut, Prelude - mike hannon
I've been hamfisted, but it wasn't entirely my fault. Trying to get a front wheel off the Prelude, found the wheelnuts had been overtightened when the tyres were changed recently, got four ordinary nuts loosened OK, then the adaptor slipped off the security nut on the fifth stud. Now the adaptor won't stay on the fitting if I try to put any pressure on it.
Very embarrassing but I can't leave it.
The security nut on the wheel has four smallish holes that are engaged by tangs on the adaptor, now the sides of the holes are a bit damaged.
Any ideas anyone before I submit myself to the garage?
Damaged security nut, Prelude - bell boy
i assume you mean you cant get the locking wheel nut off and you have elongated the holes for the tool?
yes?
get an assistant to put their boot firmly on the end of the undoing socket as you try and undo it
failing that get a garage to use one of their wheel nut security removing devices
bare in mind you will need to replace the locking wheel nut with something else afterwards.........eitherways
Yes! Thanks bb - I'll try that first
Damaged security nut, Prelude - Dynamic Dave

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=53166

Cheers DD - I should have looked first, rather than panicked! I had already thought of the wall and bottle jack idea; luckily i can park close to a stone garden wall with the rest of France behind it. I'll investigate if it ever stops raining...
Damaged security nut, Prelude - tr7v8
These locking wheel nuts are very poor. I ended up hammering a cheapy socket over it & using a knuckle bar. Scrapped the socket & LWN but who cared. I had a slow puncture so the wheel had to come off!

Damaged security nut, Prelude - Lud
Terrible things. And they are sometimes so much heavier than the other nuts that they can put the wheel out of balance. Had an embarrassing episode with a tyre place in the Lake District because of this. Neither I nor the tyre place twigged, until I did later, why their wheel balancing efforts didn't seem to be working. Covered in shame.
Damaged security nut, Prelude - jc2
Had that problem with the old type security nuts-the ones with an extra big nut and then a cover over it.
Thanks for your interest and ideas, all. I followed the advice on hammering an old socket onto the nut, then trying to turn it with a knuckle-bar. Ended up pulling a muscle in my arm!
Luckily the mechanic at my old-fashioned local garage is a muscular young chap, so - problem solved.
And I can still type with one hand...