Got the Pirellis - Pat
Just an update, in case anyone's interested. I had Pirelli 6000s fitted to the front wheels of my A4 today (£160 inc VAT). Haven't driven far yet but they do appear to be quieter than the previous Dunlops. Can't really comment on grip etc, but then I don't drive with much urgency.

Thanks again for the advice on an earlier thread.

Regards

Pat
Re: Got the Pirellis - vansboy
Hope you are going to 'run them in' gently over next 3-400 miles,it does make a difference to their life!
Re: Got the Pirellis - ian (cape town)
Agreed!
Pat, give them a few hundred to shed the greasy coating, and to get 'used' to driving.
Also, given the primates who work at tyre-fitters these days, make sure you check the tyre-pressures are to spec tommorow morning before you head off ... (BTW, I use manufacturers + 10 % on my car. doesn't affect the wear, gives a bumpier ride, but does wonders for economy and handling. I'm sure other backroomers will be able to comment on this.)
Re: Got the Pirellis - ian (cape town)
Agreed!
Pat, give them a few hundred to shed the greasy coating, and to get 'used' to driving.
Also, given the primates who work at tyre-fitters these days, make sure you check the tyre-pressures are to spec tommorow morning before you head off ... (BTW, I use manufacturers + 10 % on my car. doesn't affect the wear, gives a bumpier ride, but does wonders for economy and handling. I'm sure other backroomers will be able to comment on this.)
Re: Got the Pirellis - Pat
Thanks for the advice guys. Twice in Ian's case! I tend to drive sympathetically anyway, so the tyres will be well treated.

While at the tyre place another punter came in for a pair of remoulds. I didn't know people still bought them! At the risk of sounding condescending, I was almost horrified to think that people would be belting up and down the lanes and motorways with tyres that have basically had some new tread glued onto them. I wouldn't trust remoulds with my life and the lives of my family, though I'm sure that someone will put me right!

Pat
Re: Got the Pirellis - geoff
Colway still havwe a website but last updated Aug 2001 so looks if they are not around any more.
Wonder who is paying hosting fees for website.
A pity if they have gone as I used to see their lorry nearly every day between Durham and Brum when I used to use the road on a regular basis.
Re: Got the Pirellis - but forget remoulds - Mike H
IMHO, I'd rather buy budget new tyres than remoulds any day. I have some Kormoran (made by Michelin) and Debica on my Saab 9000 at the moment, and apart from a more comfortable ride than the Michelin XH1s I had before I can't tell the difference. Seem to be lasting well & good grip wet or dry.
Re: Got the Pirellis - but forget remoulds - steve paterson
Not only are remoulds still popular with some commercial vehicle operators, new tyres are almost always regroovable. When the tyre gets a bit bald, a new tread is cut. Tyre manufacturers define the area to be recut, tread pattern and depth etc. but I've seen some dodgy looking efforts.
Re: Got the Pirellis - Derek
I know that many commercial vehicles use remoulds. I don't, for one reason (and I'm sure that somebody here will tell me it couldn't happen nowadays).

Many years ago, just before going on holiday, my dad bought crossply (I said it was a long time ago!) remoulds, which he always used. Off he went, 4-up with luggage, 70 down the M3, etc.

Just outside a garage in Dorset, one of the fronts blew out. On inspection, it had come off the rim. The garage couldn't fit it back on, neither could the tyre dealer in Swanage. The fitter thought there was something odd and measured the tyre diameter. It was 14", but read 13" on the tyre. The other tyres were correct. He was puzzled by how the original garage managed to fit it.

If it had happened on the motorway..........
Re: Got the Pirellis - vansboy
That aeroplane that you went on your summer holiday on wore remoulds, the bus you went to the airport in did, the lorry that's just overtaken you has.......
Mark
Re: Got the Pirellis - peter charnley
Remoulds made by Colvey of Durham have the full EC quality marks. Also is all tread glued on in the same way?

Peter
Re: Got the Pirellis - Darcy Kitchin
Peter
"Colvey" I think you mean "Colway Tyres" of Langley Moor, Durham ceased trading not so long ago
Mouldy remoulds... - ian (cape town)
Vansboy, come drive on this side of the pond for a while... those great big slabs of rubber, 6 foot X 1 foot long lying in your path, at night, where the retread has untreaded!
A very common occurence, and potentially lethal.