Insurance ammendments. - mal
Swmbo has just renewed her insurance, and of course there was the usual warning that you must inform them of any changes in your circumstances.
She informed them that she has now retired from her profession and only works part time in a less stressful job, consequently she estimates she will only do 10,000 miles a year instead of 15,000 and she no longer requires business use which was required for using her car to travel during working. hours.
She was expecting a reduction in her premium but was told these changes did not make any difference at all. When she questioned this she was told it was because the underwriter had changed, that was total rubbish because this was all done over the phone in one call. So now what will happen if she goes over the 10,000, she may as well have left it at 15,000. I suppose if she later informed them she was going to drive more than 10,000 they would probably then increase her premium!!.
Insurance ammendments. - martint123
That's the big advantage of web quotes - if you have time you can play all day.

I was trying all sorts of different scenarios on the Post Office site (ended up being by far the cheapest for me) and I noticed that different insurers were used when I changed details. Most surprising for me was that 3rd Party Fire and Theft came out as £20 quid more expensive than fully comp. Protected NCD was £1.20 more. Mileage discounts seemed to be at the 12000 mile marks i.e. 0-12000, 12000-24000. Alarm yes/no made no difference. Garaged overnight was worth £15 off. Adding commuting to SD&P made no difference. Adding 'mature' brother would have cost £10.

As always there is no single answer as to who/what is cheapest - If I did the same next month it would probably be totally different. I dare say if the grouping of the car and postcode was different then the garaged discount could be much larger.

Martin