mercedes slk230 servicing - trier
On a 4 year old car (when services due would be dashboard indicated) does anyone know if simply changing the oil and filter would provoke a "service due" light due to the change in cleanliness of the oil? I am a fan of frequent oil changes but see little point if my efforts to look after the car cause the light to come on; it is my intention to have the main service done by mercedes.
thanks for all help.
mercedes slk230 servicing - Bill Payer
No, it won't provoke the service indicator - if anything, the miles to service should stretch out as the oil quality detector detects the clean oil.

Even if the computer does call for a service, you could always reset it. To maintain the cars service history and the Mobilo warranty it just needs a dealer service every 2 yrs. Newer MB's are on fixed 12mth/15500mile service intervals.
Thank you Bill for the reply. How would I reset the service light? Also, the air cleaner apparently has some kind of coloured indicator to indicate life left. Are you familiar with this feature? One of the drawbacks of this great car is the absence of a DIY manual.
Allan Crossley
mercedes slk230 servicing - elekie&a/c doctor
I don,t think this model has the indicator in the air cleaner.Usually the diesel models have this.Reset of service interval indicator can be done thro dash button reset and/or steering wheel buttons (if fitted) .See owners handbook under ASSYST system.hth
mercedes slk230 servicing - Aprilia
Changing oil won't put the light on.

Air cleaner is 48k/48m

To put the service indicator off you turn ign on, press left hand speedo button twice and turn ign off. Then hold the button in, turn on ign., and keep holding button for over 10s. Indicator should go out. Release button and turn ign off. Job done.
many thanks to all, should be a great help.
mercedes slk230 servicing - cattleman6

I was relieved to read this. I am going to buy one of the new C Classes when they appear. I will go for a C 220 CDI probably. I am a big believer in changing the oil more often than the main sevicing, particularly important with diesel, but also good to do with petrol. You have a beautiful car. The SlKs look beautiful. I have always been a big fan of Mercedes.