P Reg Accent Brake disk replacement. - McP
I have been looking at my neighbour's 1.3, 115K Accent.

The brake disks are worn and one is scored - Nothing left on the pads after 17K.

I said that I should be able to replace them for him but after an enquiry on the Accent owners club, am advised that special tools are required.

Can anyone offer any advice on how this can be diy'ed before I point my Neighbour in the direction of the local garage?

Thanks

Info received from a member of the Accent Club......

Right I've had a quick read through the workshop manual and according to the write-up in there they go on about removing the "knuckle" assembly (the bit the brake disk, wheel bearing and drive shaft attach to - which in turn itself attaches to the wishbone).

It does advise the use of two "special tools" in the process, one for removing the driveshaft from the knuckle (undoing the hub nut then push the shaft inwards through the knuckle), then another for seperating the brake disk from the knuckle.

It does state to make sure a hammer is not used to remove the disk otherwise the bearing will be damaged. It also says to check the hub bearing axial play limit after installing the hub nut (after installing a new disk). The hub nut should be torqued to 230 Nm / 167 lb.ft and the axial play limit is 0.11 mm / 0.0043 in max (if it's beyond that then either the disk is not seated correctly or the bearing needs replacing).

It looks like the "special tool" that removes the brake disk attaches to the bottom strut mount hole, and the lower arm ball joint hole - but I can't see from the pictures how it works (it just says to remove the disk by rotating the tool).

P Reg Accent Brake disk replacement. - bell boy
dont think thats right to be honest
the time given for changing pads is 50 minutes and they can be done in 20
the time for doing both discs is one hour 49 minutes
therefore you would be pushed to dismantle and rebuild in this time
have a look but dont be commited
i am confident the disc sits on the hub like most fwd set ups
Thanks Bell boy
I have had the pads out before, which was very simple.
Have told him that there might be problems but I will still have a look next weekend.

I haven't tried removing yet but the disks appear to be behind the hub nut and also have 4 bolts holding them to the hub. Seems a bit over engineered to me.

sounds more like badly engineered to me :-(
as you say if it is like that dont get involved ,its bound to go wrong and you will get fired (oops sorry went into alun sugar territory)
P Reg Accent Brake disk replacement. - Aprilia
I am no expert on these cars but I do recollect from a few years back that changing the front discs is a difficult job, involving dismantling a lot of the front end. I suspect you would be best to refer this to a garage.
P Reg Accent Brake disk replacement. - Aprilia
Thinking about it a bit more I seem to remember you have to get the whole hub/disc assy off the car and then press out the wheel bearings to get to the bolts that hold the disc to the hub. So you may have to replace the oil seal and the bearings - probably best to leave it to someone else.
with the consideration that hyundai bearings are unique to themselves (no bearing readily available was compatible last time i wanted one) i would run then primera 97
Aprilia,
That seems to confirm what the Accent owners club said.
So much easier on the Primera.

Bell Boy,
I read something on the Accent forum about the bearings only being available as part of a larger assy.

Advice heeded. Bargepole to hand.
Thanks very much.