1998 Honda Civic imobiliser issue - nb857
Hello all,

I have a 1998 Honda Civic (swindon) 1.4SE 5 door that has just turned 80k. It has been maintained regardless (of the some times considerable) cost by the main dealers, and they are good, it was service on April 3rd.

I have been noticing a delay between turning the key and the engine starting to turn. This came to a head yesterday while 200 miles away from home. I turned the key, the dash lights came on, but no starter motor. Turned key off and tried again and it did the same. Took key out, replaced and tried again, this time the engine turned over as usuall but did not fire. I'm getting worried now. Then I tried again, there was a pause of about 1 second and away she went.

This morning I tried the spare key and it started after a pause. I've done a few short journies today and it has been fine, it even started like you would expect, ie as soon as you turn the key.

It has the original battery that it left the factory with also.

Is this something that will either go or not or can I have it repaired successfully before it lets me down. Any ideas of cost?

Cheers people.
1998 Honda Civic imobiliser issue - bell boy
what does the immobiliser light do during this time?
It should come on for 3 seconds then go out
If it flashes then key not recognised
according to my data you cannot start car with the red key
maybe you have more than one chipped key on your keyring?
wifes/girlfriends key maybe? and fooling the system
batteries done well i would probably replace it so it didnt let me down