New look to website. Volume 2 - mfarrow
Overall I'm please with the new look to the forum. I especially like the way new posts stand out. However, can I make two suggestions:

• Can the reply box be in verdana (?) instead of arial, so what you see is what you get?

• "new" was easier to scan than "New". It reminds me of Resturant Menus where they capitalise every Noun (capitals intended!).

• --------------
    Mike Farrow

***** CLICK HERE for Volume 1 of this dicussion *****

New look to website. - mfarrow
    Sorry I forgot another bug, the thread hyperlinks now extend left into the space at the start of the row.

Just noticed the feature on the "new" labels. Should be great once you get that bookmark working.
    New look to website. - L'escargot
    I like the way the page goes straight to your post after you've posted it ~ you can immediately see whether you need to issue a correction!
    --
    L\'escargot.
    New look to website. - pmh
    I have followed most of this thread and apologise if this has been raised before.

The page displays significantly differently in IE7 and Firefox (2.0.0.3)!
    Firefox inserts large vertical white columns (directly under 'Car Loans' and under 'Car Insurance' Headings) and then centres the thread on my 1600x900 display. In Firefox it does not allow the width of the thread display to stretch beyond the width it would occupy on a 1024? wide screen.

On IE7 it allows the thread to stretch to the full width of the display without the blnk columns.

I hope this makes sense!

Otherwise I have no issues with the new format.

--

pmh (was peter)

New look to website. - tr7v8
    Yes I get that on the same version of Firefox as you. Haven't sullied any of my hardware yet with IE7 so don't know!
    New look to website. - Pugugly {P}
    I don't get that on Firefox...:-(
    New look to website. - Dalglish

on ie6, i am getting the fonts change to a smaller size intermittently when a page is reloaded.

on ie6 i am getting ........

You mean to say you haven't taken the plunge and installed IE7? And I thought I was slow! ;-)
    --
    L\'escargot.
    ... you haven't taken the plunge and installed IE7? And I thought I was slow! ;-)

i have set as default: ie6 on one, ie7 on a second, and firefox on the 3rd pc at home ! ;-) !

(and on on other "swappable" hd drives i have, amongst other software, i also have 98se, win2k, win2000, and xp-pro and xp-home. this is all legal software courtesy of some beta-testing i did for a particular manufacturer ).

As my guide and mentor in all things computerwise I guessed you would have. Just a joke ~ but barely just apparently! ;-)
    --
    L'escargot.
    New look to website. - Round The Bend
    "Please note that this weeks changes are not the only changes being made to the site. A lot more is to come and your observations and suggestions are (mostly) being heeded. "

Should we all change our "handles" as well? Thinking of changing mine to Reggie Stration ......
    New look to website. - Stephen
    Ok - will have a look in Firefox - presumably on PC.
    I am using FF on Mac, Safari on Mac and it looks fine to me. Odd that there is a difference.

Cheers

Stephen
    ----------------------------------
    Stephen Khoo
    www.khoosys.net
    Where's the down button gone? I liked that one the most.
    --
    L\'escargot.
    Weren't sure it was very useful. If we are wrong you can have it back.

Stephen Khoo
    www.khoosys.net
    Stephen Khoo
    www.khoosys.net

It's useful to me at any rate. When revisiting a thread I like to go straight to the end.
    --
    L\'escargot.
    New look to website. - Dynamic Dave
    It's useful to me at any rate. When revisiting a thread I like to go straight to the end.

And miss out any new postings inbetween?
    >> It's useful to me at any rate. When revisiting a thread I like to
    go straight to the end.
    And miss out any new postings inbetween?

In a long thread (like this one!) it's usually easier to go straight to the end and then scroll back up to see the new posts than scroll all the way down. I accept that not all new posts are at the end but most are.
    --
    L\'escargot.
    New look to website. - Robbie
    Stephen Khoo
    www.khoosys.net

It's very useful, particularly with long threads.

"It's very useful, particularly with long threads"

Not mentioning any names just follow my eyes to Cheddar.
    am using FF on Mac, Safari on Mac and it looks fine to me. Odd that there is a difference.

Thought it was me, I spotted minor colour changes between browsers and that's it.
    New look to website. - pmh
    Interesting.......... Firefox on this office machine doews not have the problem and it is exactly the same release no.!

I am glad that somebody else has seen the same problem otherwise I would question my sanity.

--

pmh (was peter)

New look to website. - mal
    I found the down button useful too.
    New look to website. - Lud
    Me too. Thanks for putting it back.
    New look to website. - SjB {P}
    Some nice new features, but here's one I'd also like to see, please; given that the "New" tag adjacent to the title of any post with new content is a hyperlink, it would be great if when selected it opened the thread and jumped to the first new post instead of behaving the same as selecting the thread title itself (ie anchored on the start of the thread)

Apologies if this has been covered in the preceeding 128 posts but the word "new" exists too many times to search on to check!
    it would be great if when selected it opened the thread and jumped to the first new post

sjb - if i have not misunderstood, it does this for some of us. see the discussion in posts starting with this one:

New look to WEBSITE. - Jonathan {p} Sun 29 Apr 07 22:34
    the "New" flag still hasn't been made more prominent.

This isn't necessary anymore because you can click on the "new" at the end of the thread title and it automatically takes you to the first new thread, no more search scrolling for them.

This isn't necessary anymore because you can click on the "new" at the end of
    the thread title and it automatically takes you to the first new thread no more
    search scrolling for them.

Hmmm.
    Thanks for that, but it doesn't for me.
    It behaves the same as selecting the thread title and anchors to the top.
    I have to scroll and look for any new threads.

IE 6.0.2900.2180 (to be exact) by employer edict on XP Pro SP2.

New look to website. - Dynamic Dave
    Thanks for that but it doesn't for me.
    It behaves the same as selecting the thread title and anchors to the top.

Same for me as well. I have mentioned it to Stephen who thinks it's an IE6 / 7 related problem.

DD.
    Same for me as well. I have mentioned it to Stephen who thinks it's an IE6 / 7 related problem.
    DD.

Ta muchly; it will be a nifty feature on long threads, and especially so for IHAQ and CCQ that have multiple threads running in parallel. Not knowing what other tools exist in your arsenal, it might even make moderating easier, too!
    CCQ=CRQ (Computer Related Questions)
    Yes I have had a look at all this.
    The original link goes something like this:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=51...w

.. meaning "go to that page and to anchor/id #fnew

If you watch Firefox it loads the page and when finished jumps you to the first new post. Safari (on Mac) seems ok too. But then these are well-behaved browsers. IE6 even works ok. This is the latest IE6 patched on a pretty vanilla XP machine.

IE7 doesn't work. However, if you scroll back to the top of a really long thread like this on in IE7 and then re-click and enter on the original URL (the one with #fnew) it takes you to the first new post just fine. So clearly a timing issue in IE7 where it doesn't have the anchor to go to before the page has finished loading. Basically this looks like an IE7 bug and I am not sure there is much we can do about it. Anyone out there any ideas? Maybe old-style anchor tags work in IE7.

Stephen Khoo
    www.khoosys.net
    New look to website. - henry k
    >>IE7 doesn't work.

I am confused and am on IE7.
    I click on new in the list and it displays the first new posting in that topic.
    I am confused now too.
    Maybe your IE7 is a later one, patched and fixed.
    Stephen Khoo
    www.khoosys.net
    New look to website. - henry k
    I am confused now too.
    Maybe your IE7 is a later one patched and fixed.

>>
    (I found this reply the same way)

I loaded IE7 online when first invited and have loaded the published MS patches every month as far as I know.

No clever bits this end.
    New look to website. - Big Bird
    It doesnt work for me in either IE6 (work) or IE7 (home) so I'm hoping Stephen can fix it.

I like the new colour schme on the reply page too.

Dan

..IE 6.0.2900.2180 (to be exact) by employer edict on XP Pro SP2

i am using exactly the same version on this pc i am replying on now, and it works here.
    in fact, on this pc, a lot of the fancy javascript and "active content" is disabled via my firewall (agnitum outpost ).
    It gets more interesting then, thanks!

Stephen - although the new feature doesn't work when selected from the New icon adjacent to thread title, I just did the following test prompted by your explanation of syntax:

1) Scrolled to the top of this long thread
    2) Apended #fnew to the URL
    3) Pressed the Return key

It worked...
    New look to website. - Big Bird
    I'm getting worried I may be computer illiterate here...

how do you apend #fnew to the URL, when I try and clik onto the end of the link it just kicks straight onto the thread?

dan
    The only thing is that "new" goes once you have visited that thread, so this is a bit of a bummer.

May be related to a command line bug in IE7.

www.enhanceie.com/ie/bugs.asp

Stephen Khoo
    www.khoosys.net
    New look to website. - cheddar
    Works for me in IE7 / 7.0.5730.11

Good feature!
    The only thing is that "new" goes once you have visited that thread so this
    is a bit of a bummer.

Agreed that it goes, but I just did another test that works;

1) Looked through the list of threads to find a "long" one (ie where the first New post is likely to be more than one screen height down, so out of sight if the thread anchors at the top)
    2) Clicked "New"
    3) Observed that the thread indeed anchored to the top
    4) Clicked in the Address field
    5) Appended #fnew to the end of the URL
    6) Pressed the Return key
    7) Observed success and correct navigation to the first new post
    More info; I have *exactly* the same IE 6 version on my home computer that I do on my work laptop. Both are connected to the same wireless hub. The New feature doesn't work on the laptop unless I use the workaround above, but it works flawlessly on home computer.

Stephen - let me know if you find something and wish me to make a comparative test; I will happily do so. The Mods will give you my mail address if you have lost it from previous correspondence.
    The New feature doesn't work on the laptop unless I use the workaround above, but it works
    flawlessly on home computer.

it had been working on my ie6 desktop until now - and guess what, it has now stopped working with no changes to my system settings !
    Sussed it!

In Internet Explorer, select Tools / Internet Settings / Advanced tab and check that "Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)" is TICKED.

If unticked, I get the problem I described
    If ticked, the problem is solved :-)
    I thought this feature was working for me in IE7 / 7.0.5730.11 though it seems not, when I click on "New" the thread is anchored at the top, however when I click in the thread title and then append #fnew to the end of the URL manually as SjB advises and the key "enter" it correctly navigates to the first new post.

The same on two XP Pro computers both with the same version of IE7 and both with Script Debugging disabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Update:

When I click on "New" the thread is anchored at the top, however if I then simply highlight the URL and key "enter" it correctly navigates to the first new post.

Odd?