1993 immobiliser problem - Saxon
Hi,

Ever since I've owned this car I've had this problem which is getting darn annoying! On entering the car I turn the key one click, then press a button to turn the immobiliser off. On pressing the button the dash lights up, in particular a yellow light which looks like the engine (it is situated under the battery light and to the left of the hazards ie. bottom left of dash).
This yellow light then 'clicks', extinguishes and I am then able to start the motor.

Sometimes(1) when the light clicks and I turn over the motor, it dies almost immediately even if keeping the pedal to the metal. If I then reset the ignition and try again, the yellow light extinguishes but doesn't click and I'm unable to turn the engine over. If impatience sets in and I just try to ignore it, after so many goes the battery is taking a severe battering. I therefore have to wait before it resets itself and I get a click once more. Now this could be a few minutes or a good hour! Imposible to tell but can be rather embarrassing if you're queuing for petrol say.

Anyone any idea what the 'eck the problem is here? Not up on cars at all so it may not be an immobiliser problem at all, car just keeps on going (when I can get it to start!) so am otherwise happy. Thanks!

(1) Sometimes being very short journeys or when the weather is warm (it was ok all winter but has started again recently)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/02/2008 at 10:41

Honda Accord 1993 immobiliser problem - yorkiebar
Sounds like an after market immobiliser with a problem.

Ideal test would be to disconnect it and see how car is. may be easier said than done if you not diyer on cars.
Honda Accord 1993 immobiliser problem - hammi
Hi

I have a Honda Accord Coupe. The problem you described is exactly the same as what I am having. After looking in the forum, etc I was told to change the relay for the Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI). I did this with a new relay costing GBP67.00 from Honda. The car worked fine with all the right clicking and also I could hear the fuel pump prior to staring.

By the way the previous owner had disconnected my immobilisor.

After about a month of the car working fine with the new relay it suddenly stalled on my last Monday and I have not been able to start it since.

Grateful if you or anyone can advise.

Hammi
Honda Accord 1993 immobiliser problem - SaabFanatic
you don't need to buy a new Main Relay - just follow the trail of links below, they explain why the relay fails in the first place, and how to resolder it:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=39...0

If it's not the Main Relay it's almost certainly the ignitor module.