Punto 16v Active Sport cam belt - midlifecrisis
Going to look at a Punto 1.2 16v Active sport today. 05 yr 54 plate. 24000m. When does the cambelt need changing. I did read that the Panda needs one at 36000m/3 years. Seems short, is the Punto the same interval.
And how do you tell the difference between an 8v and a 16v. Seller says 16v RAC says 8v.
Punto 16v Active Sport cam belt - aaflyer
Hi midlifecrisis

Lift the lid and look under the bonnet

The SOHC (8v) model has an almost-circular air cleaner cover with the oil filler cap to the left and well under the air cleaner cover; the DOHC (16v) model has its ECU (note two red covers) close to the rear of the engine and very a definite (one might say more agressive) square plastic air cleaner casing with the air cleaner cover.

Oh, check the manual, too!
Punto 16v Active Sport cam belt - aaflyer
48,000 miles for the belt, SFAIK
Punto 16v Active Sport cam belt - yorkiebar
2001 on.

8 v engine 36k or 3 years 2 hour book time

16v

check and replace if necesary 36k or 3 years

replace every 72k or 5 years 2.5 hour book time

hth
Found out it was an 8 valve so all the talk of head gasket failures on the 8v, plus the steering column failures put me off. The thought of forking out for a cam belt next year wouldn't have helped.
Thanks to everyone.
Punto 16v Active Sport cam belt - GenevaJohn
As the owner of a 2001 8v I can tell you they are best avoided. A mate bought an Alfa 156 at the same time as I got the punto, and we both say "....never again an Italian car..." He's in a Toyota now and I will only buy a Japanese next time.

I've been driving around in an old-version Yaris recently and it's a world away from the Punto.

cheers