european roundabouts - milkyjoe
my misses reckons they give way to vehicles entering roundabouts(whilst you are on a roundabout) i think shes talking rubbish , and she does it when shes driving(not very often if i can help it) but she is italian is she talking twaddle or what as ive never driven abroad?
european roundabouts - Dynamic Dave
my misses reckons they give way to vehicles entering roundabouts(whilst you are on a roundabout)

In some respects she was (and still is) correct. But recent law changes means that they've now adopted our law for most roundabouts.

"Thankfully the rule on most Continental roundabouts has now been switched to British law. In France this is indicated by a sign on the approach to the roundabout which says Vous n'avei pas fa priorite (you do not have right of way) or Cedez le passage (give way). But beware that there are still a few roundabouts, mainly in rural areas, where the old rule still applies. So give way to traffic entering the roundabout if there is no sign saying otherwise, and look out for the occasional local who isn't going to change the way they drive, no matter what law says."

Taken from:
www.drcarhire.com/driving-abroad/roundabouts.html
european roundabouts - Hamsafar
Sometimes they are meant to, but I our way seems the most common, however, have you seen that some roundabouts here in the UK are being made or adapted so that you give way to people coming on? Rediculous!
european roundabouts - BigNose
Brussels.

tinyurl.com/j7hfv
european roundabouts - Lud
I don't remember any anxiety at junctions and roundabouts in Belgium. Perhaps I was just lucky. What I do remember is how very fussy motorway driving is there, with no one staying in the outside lane a moment longer than they have to even if they are going faster than anyone else. In, out, in, out, do me a favour!
european roundabouts - mike hannon
By and large in France the rule is as the UK for out-of-town roundabouts but give way to traffic entering on town centre roundabouts, which is highly confusing and very stupid. It confuses the French as well, most of the time.
All you can do is see what signs are present as you approach ('cedez le passage' or 'vous n'avez pas le priorite' - sorry no accents) if you are expected to give way. If the signs aren't there and you are on the roundabout then be prepared to stop at any moment because vehicles WILL drive onto it in front of you! It's no good thinking 'this is stupid, I am blocking traffic behind if I stop'. You might be, but that's how it works.
Best to always expect the unexpected.
Bon chance...
european roundabouts - rich66
The only roundabout I have seen which is not like the UK is l'étoile (around the Arc de Triomphe) in Paris.

In response to Lud, outside lane hogging is becoming more common in my experience. Anyway, "in out, in out" is not so clever in practice because most drivers return to lane 1 way too early. Having overtaken you, a driver will return to lane 1 leaving you with just a few car lengths in front of you, and in extreme cases just a metre of stopping distance! This is even if there are no other cars around for miles. Why force someone to tailgate you? It happens in the UK too. I would much prefer to be held up for a few seconds than push someone back into lane 1 too soon.
european roundabouts - Lud
Place de l'Etoile... ever tried crossing it on foot in rush hour? Fun.
european roundabouts - rich66
No I haven't but I can imagine :-) . Outside rush hour you can be making your way across the roundabout (in a straight line of course) and you will get a car coming towards you from the side on a path which is perpendicular to yours. I was also amazed how snarled up this roundabout can be around midnight.

Other great roundabouts are Marble Arch, and Hyde Park Corner (in London).
european roundabouts - Altea Ego
its usually quite easy.

On most roads where you have the priority (protected passage - the yellow box on its corner) any roundabouts will be as per the UK and some may have a Cédez le Passage (give way sign) or a picture of arrows going round with a vous n'avez pas Priorite.

However when you hit towns and you get the end of priority sign (a black line through your yellow box on its corner) then its a free for all unless the roundabout is signed otherwise.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
european roundabouts - martint123
I must have been lucky in my travels. 90% of the European roundabouts I've come across seemed to be traffic light controlled
european roundabouts - boxsterboy
By and large in France the rule is as the UK
for out-of-town roundabouts but give way to traffic entering on town
centre roundabouts, which is highly confusing and very stupid. It confuses
the French as well, most of the time.

Gives them an excuse to drive around in beaten up cars, though.

Can you imagine what the Arc De Triomphe would be like if it was in London? Red Ken would have narrowed it to 2 lanes for cars and the rest for busses, with hideous road markings everywhere. One of the things I love about driving in France is the lack of road markings - the authorities actually let the drivers have responsibility for their actions.
european roundabouts - mike hannon
The thing is with France, traffic management seems traditionally to have been left to local councils, rather than having national policies - hence the free-for-all.
I crossed the Place de l'Etoile a few years ago, driving my pal's (RHD) Discovery. He crouched in the back with his head in his hands, moaning 'hit me now and get it over with'!
We made it intact.
european roundabouts - boxsterboy
I also personally think it is a good idea how French roundabouts have a marked adverse camber on them that force you to slow down and negotiate them at a safer speed. Doubtless others here will shoot me down in flames.
european roundabouts - WipeOut
Up until recently it was the case the vehicles entering a roundabout had priority. This has now changed in my european countries to the "British style", but some of the locals still drive the old way, so you need to be careful. In Belgium I've watched a tv programme with a police office explaining lane discipline and getting completely confused, so if the police can't get it right, don't expect much from the locals. Lane discipline in France and Belgium makes home look wonderfully disciplined!!
WipeOut
european roundabouts - Kiwi Gary
Before heading to Italy last summer, I enquired of an Italian and also a fellow Kiwi who had just returned from living there for some years as to what were the roundabout rules. The Italian said, "Nobody knows, just follow the rest and hope." The Kiwi gave much the same reply, but added that it gets worse the further South you go. We went as far South as Naples [ where the local tourist brochure politely describes Neapolitan driving as "Frantic"] but found that pretty well all roundabouts were signposted as to who has right of way. Naples, by the way, was a cakewalk compared to driving here in Auckland.
european roundabouts - jerrykew

Hi, in Holland the priority is by default to those already on the roundabouts, however, they are changing the road markings on most to give way to those already on the roundabout ('sharks teeth' give way triangles painted on the road). There is a fundamental flaw in giving priority to those joining the roundabout, and that is that gridlock can occur which then needs the police involved to unlock it.

Jerry