Potential fire hazard - Peugeot 406 - John Greenstreet
Has anyone encountered a real or potential fire hazard with the cigar lighter on the Peugeot 406?

The lighter is situated on the central console between the front seats on a horizontal surface. When the lighter is removed, there is a real risk of a metallic object; pen, jacket zip fastener, cigarette silver foil, key, etc. falling into the socket and completing a circuit with over 30amps power. Result, instant fire!

It happened to me with the zip fastener on a jacket I was wearing falling in and heating red hot, with sparks emitting from the socket.

It could cause fatalities if the driver, distracted by such a fire, lost control.

Peugeot don't seem particularly interested. Do any Peugeot 406 owners know of a similar problem, or have had the same experience? I'd like to hear from them.
Re: Potential fire hazard - Peugeot 406 - John Slaughter
This is not an uncommon location for a cigarette lighter, so it isn't just a problem with a 406. The risk isn't just for smokers, who are likely to put the thing back but where it's used as a power socket for a phone or similar, in which case the element is likely to be left out, and lobbed in the glovebox.

Apart from the obvious answer of getting rid of the junk and always replacing the unit, some cars now use a cover for these sockets when used for power only (Vauxhall Zafira, BMW's with 'no smoker packs' for example). I guess buying one of these and using it is the only real option to replacing the element every time.

Regards

john
Re: Potential fire hazard - Peugeot 406 - Brian
A friend had a problem for months with a fuse blowing on a circuit which included the fag lighter. It was finally traced to a penny having dropped into the lighter. Moral: do not leave the socket empty.
I suggest using the socket to plug in a citizens band radio which for a £15 per year licence can provide loads of entertainment and instant local traffic news from fellow breakers. There are not so many around now, but are invaluable for news on hold-ups, police traps, warning of faulty lights and flat tyres etc., as well as telling (sorry, requesting) those at home to get the kettle on.
Re: Potential fire hazard - Peugeot 406 - Mike
Same problem on my 806. Take the lighter out to plug the phone charger in and the socket fills up with pennies kept in the ashtray. Barmy!

Mike
Re: Potential fire hazard - Peugeot 406 - Kevin Alder
My old Mum was a stroke victim, and had no feeling at all down one side of her body.

The first car we had with a cigar(ette) lighter was an Austin Ambassador. Mum was fascinated, but we didn't know just how fascinated until we noticed the smell of burning flesh - she had been exploring the red glow with the thumb of her "dead" hand!

Luckily all was well after an emergency visit to the hospital.