Card scam at filling stations. beware - henry k
BBC R4 "You and yours" 12:00 today covered the ongoing problem of cards being cloned at independant run filling stations. It appears to be country wide.
It is the first item on the program.
Well worth a listen as a reminder on how to combat it.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - Pica
After I was done a couple of months ago I now normally use cash
Card scam at filling stations. beware - IanJohnson
I normally use Sainsburys!
Card scam at filling stations. beware - midlifecrisis
Not just independent. There was a big scam at our local BP stations recently.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - boxsterboy
This has affected a few (presumably independant) Shell stations in Surrey - very bad local press.

If I ran Shell I would be livid, and must surely be grounds to terminate their contracts immediately?
Card scam at filling stations. beware - Armitage Shanks {p}
I recall that many Shell garages were victim of some chip and pin scam shortly after the system went 'live' last February.
This has affected a few (presumably independant) Shell stations in Surrey - very bad local press.

That is the OLD news.

If you listen to the item you will hear the new details

NEW info from the programme.

Total in Derby Road Annersley 100+ case. One guy had £3.5K removed in Malaysia.
Total has had a few other cases

Texaco ( all independants) in East Anglia and Hastings ( NOT Tesco as stated in error)

BP ( company and independant sites) in Peterborough, Edinburgh and Surrey

Shell througout the country again.

Mini cameras may have been used. Hang on to your card at all times to prevent skimming.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - mss1tw
This has affected a few (presumably independant) Shell stations in Surrey
- very bad local press.
If I ran Shell I would be livid, and must surely
be grounds to terminate their contracts immediately?

Yup - A friend and I believe myself (I had to have my card replaced, anyway) were 'done' by the Shell at Ottershaw (Left hand one as you come down the hill)
Card scam at filling stations. beware - FotheringtonThomas
After I was done a couple of months ago I now
normally use cash

Cash is very good, most theft seems to be due to card fraud, etc!
Card scam at filling stations. beware - jc2
Asda give you 2p./litre off if you use their card at one of their stations.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - SteVee
My fuel card was cloned.
It was supposed to be linked to my car's registration only, and vouchers were signed for - no PIN.
I was able to spot the additional charges - they were using 4 times the fuel I was using.
I bet many company car drivers will not realise their card is cloned.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - gramar
I too have recently been a victim of card fraud at my local Shell station in Suffolk. I've been using a credit card for years and never had any problem before. I've used this particular Shell station regularly for the past 6 years because it's on my route to work.

IMHO chip and pin is not the answer to fraud prevention. When I discovered the fraud (only after receiving my monthly statement) I'd apparently used my card (twice) in Malyasia when in fact at my offcie desk in Cambridgeshire!!

Surely the credit card issuers know our usage pattern ( I've never used any credit/debit card outside the UK) and should be able to prevent/query unnusual transacions before they happen.

Finally, my local newspaper has reported over 400 customers were 'hit' at this one Shell garage! ! ! ! Multiply that up across the country and it doesn't take a genius to work out it's costing banks a lot of money. It's time to rethink card security again.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - Stargazer {P}
Many people have been reporting this at a local Shell garage in Chipping Norton. The cards seem to be scanned but not used for a couple of months then later bogus transactions start appearing from the far east.

Most people seem to either have the transactions rejected by the card issuer or no problem in getting them refunded.

Due to the variable delay there seems to be a difficulty in connecting the particular garage and staff (large numbers of temporary shift staff).

StarGazer
Card scam at filling stations. beware - No Do$h
Due to the variable delay there seems to be a difficulty
in connecting the particular garage and staff (large numbers of temporary
shift staff).

There seems to be an extraneous "f" in the penultimate word.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - AngryJonny
Half an hour after I filled my bike up at the Texaco in Brentford, "my card" was being used in Mauritius. So at least I know it wasn't them. Inf fact it was because of that transaction that my bank realised I couldn't be in two places at once and phoned me up to ask where I was and what I was buying.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - UncleR
AngryJonny - Worth naming your bank I think. Sounds like they're doing a good job.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - Aretas
If you have used a suspect filling station I sugest you change your PIN.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - rustbucket
If you have used a suspect filling station I sugest you
change your PIN.

Changing your pin will not stop it being cloned again, it will only stop any fraudulant transactions if you are quick enough before your card is used illegally.My card was used fraudulently within a few hours of being cloned.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Card scam at filling stations. beware - rustbucket
I find it incredible that this scam has been going on for over a year now since I brought it to the medias attention in 2005/6 when my credit card was cloned at a shell garage.Apax and all concerned tried to keep it under wraps untill I got involved.The banks / money institutions dont seem to give a damn or else they would have changed to the more secure chip and pin method, but that cost them a few more pence per card to implement.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Card scam at filling stations. beware - AngryJonny
AngryJonny - Worth naming your bank I think. Sounds like
they're doing a good job.

Well... if there are no rules against naming'n'praising - Natwest. I was pleasantly surprised. Saved me from mucho hassle (if not expense) and had a new card out to me in no time.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - Chris S
I always pay by credit card - that way thieves don't have direct access to my bank account.
I always pay by credit card - that way thieves don't have direct access to my bank account.

>>
Me too.

I also call my credit card co to inform them when I will be out of the country and when.
I ask them to ensure it is logged. I realise this is not practical if you are a frequent traveller.

I have had CC co call me re booking flight tickets online. I was a bit surprised as, 1. it was a cheap ticket and 2. my record will show it is a frequent transaction but good of em.

A rant at some CC cos. Why do a large number of cards issuers put the phone nos on the back where the embossing distorts it or it is on a silly colour background ?

As it appears to be filling stations that are the main source of this scam. I wonder if I can have a CC that only allows up to say £75 per transaction then I can use just that card for fuel purchases ?
Card scam at filling stations. beware - davidh
I used my CC in Florida on holiday.

Natwest rang my home number to ask if I knew it was being used abroad. Very impressed as I was glad to know that they monitor and chase up irregular spending patterns.

I always let my bank know if I'm going abroad as saves them ringing and avoids the potential for the card getting rejected.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - boxsterboy
>> Finally, my local newspaper has reported over 400 customers were 'hit'
at this one Shell garage! ! ! ! Multiply that up
across the country and it doesn't take a genius to work
out it's costing banks a lot of money. It's time
to rethink card security again.

I think this shows how much profit they are making. They can afford to be complacent even about this high level of loss.

The banks could insist on PIN with all transactions which would dramatically reduce the level of fraud, but then bang would go all phone/interent sales, and the banks profits would suffer accordingly.

The banks could insist on PIN with all transactions .

World wide?
It is the "customer friendly" default to mag stripe that is a loophole not just the PIN.

When I asked a well known BS for a third card (for a third user) they said that in that case you will have to revert to having to sign rather than using a pin. Shops still seem surprised when I use it.
Card scam at filling stations. beware - The Gingerous One
yes I am sure as well that a lot of this is just written off as "acceptable loss" on the presumption that it would cost far more to correct/reduce fraud than the amount of fraud that is committed (as a % of sales over a year I guess).

The banks must have figures for this as to what consitutues an acceptable level of credit card fraud before they would do anything about it on a large scale. I wonder what these figures are.....
Card scam at filling stations. beware - Dalglish
I wonder if I can have a CC that only allows up to say £75 per transaction then I can use just that card for fuel
purchases ?

yes you can..
some will cost you a bit to top-up, but the "mint gift card" version will work just as well and may be good value
www.mint.co.uk/giftcard
www.24dash.com/content/news/viewNews.php?navID=34&...8
www.extremecred.com/
i believe the london-tube-bus "oyster" card is planning to get in to the market too.