Kia Pride EGR - bathtub tom
I've recently acquired a '94 1324cc, and it's got exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) from the cat. to the air filter box, with the exhaust passing through the air filter. It didn't have an air filter when I got it, presumably because it would clog up with carbon. It's also got a carburettor.
I'm quite happy with its performance and running, but I wonder what would happen if the EGR pipe was, err, inadvertently blocked.
I presume the air filter would stay cleaner for longer, but I'm thinking less exhaust gas equals more air, more air equals leaner mixture, leaner mixture means lambda sensor makes mixture richer (goodness knows how), more air plus more fuel equals more performance?
Would there be any down side?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2008 at 19:36

Kia Pride EGR - dieselhead
The mixture will stay the same, there is a slight advantage to using EGR as it allows a slightly larger throttle opening for a given engine output ... reducing pumping losses and boosting efficiieny very slightly. I don't think you would notice the difference and it would keep the filter much cleaner. Bad set up really. You could try plugging the vac hose to the egr valve to see what difference it makes.