Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi - OBD2 or what ? - Kevcit
Hi, I'm trying to find a fault code reader for my Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi on an '02 plate.
But, does anyone know which protocol it uses. It's got an OBD2 type connection in the glove box but a scanner I got off ebay doesn't connect to it.

Does anyone know if this C5 is EOBD or OBD2 compliant ?

Thanks,
Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi - OBD2 or what ? - Screwloose
Kevcit

It would be OBD-II compliant only if it were supplied in the US. It won't be EOBD compliant on an '02 plate; it's likely a Bosch EDC or a Siemens system. Both use software that's unique, so you'll need a system-specific tool - if a cheap one of those exists.

Virtually everything now uses a J1962 16-pin socket; it doesn't mean that any ECU that's connected to it speaks Chinese.
Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi - OBD2 or what ? - Aprilia
OBD-II is a US standard introduced from about 1996 IIRC - not relevant to your car at all. EOBD is effectively the European equivalent. Petrol cars sold in Europe from 2001 had to be EOBD compliant, and from 2003/4 for Diesels.
According to Autodata information your car IS EOBD compliant - but obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement. Maybe you could speak to Gendan (www.gendan.co.uk) they do some fairly cheap and basic software that runs on a laptop (around the £100 mark with interface etc). They are most likely to give you an accurate answer.
Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi - OBD2 or what ? - adverse camber
I'm going through a similar issue at the moment trying to find a code reader for a 2000model(last of the old style) volvo v70tdi with bosch msa 15.8.

There are too many different protocols on several levels. The same physical connector will not have all the pins connected - only the ones that the manufacturer needs. Not all the pin connections are to 'standard'.

You have the k&l line stuff which uses one pin to select the ecu to communicate with and another line to actually communicate, In theory all devices are connected to the same communications line but some vehicles use different pins for different devices.

then there is the signal protocol over those lines - several different signaling systems used by different makers, and then even if the signaling system is the same the message format varies between communication protocols.

And then there is canbus as well, using another set of pins and protocols. Many of the vendors of the tools seem to have little understanding of what they are selling - just coming out with the standard phrases about when obd was introduced and when vehicles had to comply. The fact that many vahicles complied well before they had too is lost on them.

I would guess that one issue for the OP might be that the cheaper tools on ebay etc do not do canbus - I thought the C5 used canbus

I find it very irritating that a simple fault code reader cant be build into cars. The cost to a maker to allow the car to easily report a code would be negligible.
Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi - OBD2 or what ? - Screwloose
AC

US-bound Land-Rover products used not have OBD-II self-diagnosis fitted; so clipped to the ECU was a natty little box with an LED display that simply gave you the fault-code. If it can be done for the Yanks, then there's no reason it can't be done for us.

You're spot-on about the C5; when they finally went EOBD, it is CAN-line. There are EOBD CAN readers; but they're not cheap.

The whole subject [very nice expo BTW] is far too complex and variable to explain in an e-bay description. The other thing that the sellers decline to mention is that there are two sets of fault-codes in an EOBD ECU - the emission-related EOBD side and the whole-picture set in the manufacturer-specific-data side. Just reading the EOBD set can be worse than not knowing at all.
Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi - OBD2 or what ? - Kevcit
I've tried gendan and they couldn't help, or, at least, they couldn't gurantee that any of their products will work on the C5 2.2 Hdi.

Thanks for everyone's input.

cheers, Kev
Citroen C5 2.2 Hdi - OBD2 or what ? - UKOBD
I agree, I'm afraid that your car is not EOBD compliant, EU law required diesel vehicles to be compliant post 2004. However, we have had quite a lot of luck with the 406 HDi, this is the only one however!

With regard to the post about protocol's, often the best bet is to check the pins (www.ukobd.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15&PN=1 ).

Gareth