Alas, the Looking Glass - Clanger
Owing to the completely barking way the local hospital mismanages its employees' parking, Mrs H, who is employed there, parks her C3 in a nearby residential street. Havng worked Friday night, she was mildly distressed to find this morning that her nearside door mirror was folded forwards and no sign of the mirror glass. I examined the mirror casing and found the rear edge smeared in mud and dog poo. My conclusion was that someone had kicked the mirror. Either that or a gigantic dog had used the mirror to scratch its behind vigorously enough to dislodge the mirror. I digress.

Once I had secured the part from the local dealer, worth a small post in itself, I was delighted to find that snapping the glass in place took seconds. The last door mirror glass I fitted was to a Citroen CX. The glass was heavy, brittle and needed glueing in place so had to be lined up and strapped to the adjuster mechanism while the glue set. When I bought the glass I discussed it with my local Citroen independent. Contact adhesive wasn't recommended because it needed a push that was likely to crack the mirror and would degrade anyway over time. Double-sided tape wouldn't last and self-adhesive pads weren't strong enough. Araldite was the best apparently because it didn't need so much pressure but the glass was likely to slide out of position while it set.

Thank goodness things have moved on.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Alas, the Looking Glass - Clanger
And last night the other mirror went. Mrs H thinks her car's being targetted.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Alas, the Looking Glass - teabelly
I suspect residents are fed up of their streets being used for hospital parking. I suggest she should park behind whoever deals with parking provision and block them in :-)
teabelly
Alas, the Looking Glass - adverse camber
I suspect Teabelly is correct.
Has Mrs H noticed if other vehicles are also damaged?

Hospitals seem to be deliberately making a mess of parking. The new place in Leeds has no employee parking, Harrogate parking is poor and the nearby streets are all residents only. Northallerton is a joke since the rearrangement.

Alas, the Looking Glass - FotheringtonThomas
And last night the other mirror went. Mrs H thinks her
car's being targetted.

Conceal a video camera in the car, in a box with a hole in it, or similar.
Alas, the Looking Glass - MW
I did a Halfords mirror replacement about a year ago, but it had a peal-off protective cover over a completely sticky back to the mirror. One touch and it was stuck. Still there after a year with no problems. In fact, making sure it was aligned and touching it just the once was the tricky part.
If yours is just a plain back to the mirror you could consider....
1. Asking the Citreon parts people what they use.
2). Consider impact adesive which is put on both sides and left to dry; then one touch and it should be there for life. No need to hold it on past 15 seconds, and no need to press too hard.
Alas, the Looking Glass - cheddar
Great thread title!

I had a company Vectr in '96, lived at the time in a road that was a cut through between a pub & station and a housing estate, we had a spate of wing mirrors being kicked off cars parked in the road a the Vectra was targetted a number of times due to its fancy mirrors according to the police, the challenge for the drunken youth was to kick a mirror off in one as the walked (staggered) home after a night out in the pub or further afield via the train. I caught one lad in the act, I suggested that he had better wait for the police which he did!! Turned out he was 16 and drunk, he got a formal warning, I was advised that there was no point persuing for damages unless 000's of damage had been done, I concurred with the police view because he actually seemed like a nice lad who had been lead astray.

I also witnessed three lads damaging a neighbours car, I followed them on foot and phoned the police on my mobile, I saw them enter a house and pointed the house out to the police, the police were not interested, their word against mine apparently!!

On another occasion a neighbour and I cornered a guy that we had seen kick down a garden fence, this bloke looked like terrorist, the police took ages to arrive, 30 mins IIRC, just before they arrived with blue lights and sirens the guy walked up to us with his hands in his deep in his parka type pockets, we did not tackle him, could have been either stabbed or put up for assault ourselves, the police never found him.

Alas, the Looking Glass - andymc {P}
Alright, I'll bite. What does a terrorist look like?
Treat that as a rhetorical question if you want, bound to be off topic anyway.
Just a thought - if you were put up for assault, wouldn't it also be his word against yours? "He fell over as we chased him into that corner over there". In theory, of course ...
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...