Volvo S40 TD - Temp guage - LinuxGeek
I've noticed for last couple of days that if I get stuck in traffic and don't move my car for few minutes the temperature guage needle start moving upwards. I noticed it yesterday and it was fairly close to the red area so I turned on the hot air to maximum and it brought the needle down somewhat. I just want to know is it something to worry about? I got the car serviced couple of weeks ago and changed the coolant too. Coolant level seems to be fine. My mechanic mate also checked that radiator fan kicked in when he serviced the car.
Volvo S40 TD - Temp guage - The Purifier
I'd be a little worried as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't happen - doesn't happen with my S60 where guage is always in the middle. Is it an old shape or new shape S40 out of interest?
Hi adatto, its old shape (S reg). When I went home last night I checked the coolant and it was pretty low, it took almost 2 litre of water to bring the level back to normal. As I said earlier I serviced the car only couple of weeks ago and since then I've drived around 1200 miles, its worrying it lost water, isn't it? But I can't see any leakage anywhere though.
Did 80 miles commutting yesterday and then checked the level of coolant and I had to add half a litre or so to bring the coolant level back to maximum. I really don't understand where I should be looking at. There isn't any leakage and a mechanic friend of mine has told me the way the engine is designed there's very little chance of it being a headgasket issue, please advise!
Volvo S40 TD - Temp guage - The Purifier
Try the Volvo owners club forum they may be able to help a bit more than I can (www.volvoclub.org.uk/forum/ ). I'd get the car in to a garage pretty quickly though!
Volvo S40 TD - Temp guage - Aprilia
The water has to be going somewhere. If it isn't leaking externally then its either leaking internally (into sump) or into combustion chamber (head). Personally I would hazard at guess at head gasket.
Get it to any MoT station and ask them to wave their 4-gas analyser over the header tank - that's a quick on the spot test.