1999 mondeo 2.0 hidden filter - passat 20v se
I have owned and serviced VW Passats for the last 10 years and having become aware of the fall off in quality in the period up to 1996, decided to give Ford a try. My 99 LX Mondeo is streets ahead in terms of performance and finish. But.....a stupid question.... It can't be that hard to find, but I have spent more time than I care to admit (the neighbours are begining to talk) trying to locate the oil filter on my 2.0 Duratec. The manual does not help much (not the same since they started printing them on recycled woodchip). Can anyone post a link to a photo/diagram, or give a simple explanation. Any help appreciated.
1999 mondeo 2.0 hidden filter - hugh
It may be a different engine, but on my old 1.8 Mondeo the oil filter was accessible after removing the drivers side wheel - I only did it once or twice and can't exactly remember, but with the wheel off it wasn't difficult
1999 mondeo 2.0 hidden filter - DP
Yes it's on the back of the block near the drivers side front wheel arch. Completely invisible from above.

As Hugh said, once the wheel is off you can reach it easily enough through the wheelarch.

Cheers
DP
1999 mondeo 2.0 hidden filter - kithmo
If you're just changing the oil & filter, you can just reach it from behind the wheel underneath the car, if you have a strong left arm and it's not been overtightened. But if you're doing a service you can do it while you've got the wheel off checking the brake pads. Make sure you put an absorbant cloth over the drive shaft gaiter as the oil spills out all over it when you take off the filter.
1999 mondeo 2.0 hidden filter - passat 20v se
Thanks for the helpful info. As DP says, the filter is invisible from above. And, in my experience also from below. I shall remove the drivers wheel a seond time, and explore! It must be there somwhere.
1999 mondeo 2.0 hidden filter - Galaxy
You will also need to remove the auxillary belt cover, but that's only a couple of screws after removing the OSF wheel.

The oil filter will then be clearly seen!