Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - LHM

As we are aware, the 'SPECS' detection system calculates average speed over a set distance. Does anyone know if each individual camera also registers a vehicle's absolute speed as it passes the gantry?

If not, then could a speeding motorist passing the first SPECS gantry slow to a crawl in order to get the average speed down before passing the next gantry?

Not that I would condone such action, of course - just wondering.....
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - Armitage Shanks {p}
Average speed = time taken to travel the distance between the cameras, not absolute instantaneous speed.
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - daveyjp
And many drivers on the M56 were aware of this at the weekend. Due to roadworks SPECS in place, but due to volume of traffic average speed less than 10mph for well over a mile. Road went back to three lanes, but 40 limit still in force, however as average speed had been so low for so long plenty of drviers simply floored it and sped through at 70. Breaking the limit, but not the average so no chance of a ticket.
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - Dipstick
And given that many (all?) satnav units can show your average speed, and they get cheaper and cheaper, more and more drivers will do as I do, and just reset it as you pass the first camera.

Then you know exactly how you're doing.
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - Altea Ego
It works on time taken between set points. The car passes the first camera of the set and a picture of the number plate is taken. A picture is taken at the next camera and the time taken to pass the two fixed points is worked to an average speed. The cameras can be linked into sets (there are sets of 4 for example round the A43 in northampton) so you can be averaged between any combination of the 4 sets. Its not instant speed measurement.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - rogue-trooper
Someone told me that if you change lanes between the 2 cameras that they can't work out your average speed. Is this true? Sounds rubbish to me but.....
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - Peter D
Correct Rubbish. It does not matter which lane you are in a registration number is a registration number and that is what identifies the car via ANPR and computer links them against time thus the average speed. Regards Peter
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - rtj70
Apparently SPECs did not get Home Office type approval for monitoring cars across multiple lanes. So changing lanes apparently will fool the system, providing you don't later get done by the camera that was really part of the pair. You'll notice with SPECs that multiple cameras are normally on the gantry supporting this idea of needing a camera per lane.

So what I suggest is some brave volunteer on HJ proves this once and for all, Mythbuster style. Drive past the first camera above the limit and switch lanes. We will then wait a few weeks for the outcome.
Do SPECS cameras register absolute speed - Dynamic Dave
Someone told me that if you change lanes between the 2 cameras that they can't
work out your average speed. Is this true? Sounds rubbish to me but.....

Been previously mentioned on here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=48...2
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45696&...e