Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 29 *****

(Well vol 27 was only 9 posts away from 100, so I'd thought I'd start a new one)

As per most other weeks, highly entertaining. The limo feature was worth a giggle or two, but how they actually made the cars road legal to drive around London is anyone's guess?

Pity the Monaro VXR didn't get a chance to do a hot lap around the track.

Shame it was the last in the current series as well. Wondering if the series was shorter than normal due to all the money that had to be laid out for sending the Reliant into space, stretching cars, and the road trip in America?
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - cheddar
A real waste of what looked like a tidy early MGF ( I would have paid £750 for that), 164 and 9000, May was full of the one liners , "at the front we have a Saab 9000 and at the .......... front we have an Alfa .. " however he insisted on referrring to three cars not four, "see what happens to the three cars we made into stretched limos" etc etc.

Very amusing though!

Agree re the VXR, dont think it is called a Monaro now?

I had considered the branding of cars by the name of curries before, Mini of course have the Chilli pack.

I do think that they have stretched (scuse the pun) concept now and erred to much on the daft stunts and not enough on real world cars. I hope it comes back without too many changes perhaps more features such as they used to do, five or six cars in the same class on the track etc, oh and without SIARPC. Perhaps NHIAESC (No hoper in an exotic super car) instead!.

Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Pugugly {P}
It's a comedy show linked to cars. SIRPC is now shamelss plugging. Boring.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Round The Bend
Best of the series. Good fun! Would have liked to see the stretch limos tested by the Stig .....

Seemed to be a very short series ...... assume this is because lack of stuff in the can following the Hamsters accident?
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Altea Ego
The steering wheel coming off trick was very very good a little overplayed towards the end but none the less highly amusing,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - ForumNeedsModerating
The worst TG series ever - even JC at the end said 'if' or 'maybe' when mentioning new series - although continuity announcer confirmed a new series in the summer .

Imo, the BBC is simply failing to take motoring & motorists seriously. The only programme on virtually the whole plethora of widely available channels to deal with cars etc. , and most of it given over to the equivalent of Jackass stunts in/with cars.
I could understand (maybe even be slighlty amused by) TG if it were an adjunct to, not a replacement of a proper programme about, let's face it, a big part of what we spend our money on & spend our time at - driving a vehicle.

An example last night, the 'discussion' about the Hammond interview with Tony Blair - here's an opportunity for JC to put cogent & lucid arguments against or in place of road -pricing initiatives, c'mon let's hear what you've got to say JC (..and May) - what we got was 3rd form jokes about punching & being sick - well ha,ha. To the resident adorati here - who do you think they're really laughing at?
The worst TG series ever - Imo, the BBC is simply failing to take motoring & motorists seriously.

As previously mentioned, it's NOW an entertainment show centreing on 3 middle aged men (ok, hampsters slightly younger) going on 15 who all get along with one another, take the mick, and generally have a good laugh together.

I for one would hate to see the show return to the Angela Rippon, Noel Edmonds, William Woolard, Raymond Baxter, style of presenting.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - local yokel
The total lack of any real examination or testing of the information (which is what good journalists do all the time) was shown when Hammond had the two Mustangs dyno'd. No questions that would have revealed why the power at the rear wheels was down on the 500 or 390, and so the audience was left hanging. It could have been quickly covered, when Hammond would have discovered that his Mustang probably never had 390.

While the limo feature was entertaining, it was also a massive waste of budget, which a more sensible producer would have spent on genuine content, not boarding school japes.

Remember, the BBC really only want ratings, so why let professionalism get in the way of good viewer figures?
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Chris S
This program is absolute rubbish - somebody compared their clowning around to 'Last Of The Summer Wine' - they were right.
This program is absolute rubbish

But do you (and others) switch off / change channel during the show or watch it right the way through?

ps, Thinking about it, May does resemble Compo ;o)
The total lack of any real examination or testing of the information (which is what good journalists do all the time) was shown when Hammond had the two >>Mustangs dyno'd. No questions that would have revealed why the power at the rear wheels was down on the 500 or 390, and so the audience was left hanging. It >>could have been quickly covered, when Hammond would have discovered that his Mustang probably never had 390.

Quite. AFAIK, most manufacturer power figures are taken at crankshaft, rather than back wheel - it might account for up 10% of the gross figure.
Why didn't they know or find out ?
>>As previously mentioned, it's NOW an entertainment show centreing on 3 middle aged men (ok, hampsters slightly younger) going on 15 who all get along with >>one another, take the mick, and generally have a good laugh together.

Well I find informative , factual items about aspects of cars/driving entertaining as well. Entertainment doesn't just mean guffawing & giggling about sick & naughty bits like c-stream schoolboys. If they want a good laugh, why not go down the pub like everyone else & have a couple of pints?

Entertainment doesn't just mean guffawing & giggling about sick & naughty bits like c-stream schoolboys.

Obviously people's tastes differ. I myself do not find it at all entertaining listening to someone talking in a monotone voice about run of the mill cars, and how the bonnet stay works.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - David Horn
>> Entertainment doesn't just mean guffawing & giggling about sick
& naughty bits like c-stream schoolboys.
Obviously people's tastes differ. I myself do not find it at
all entertaining listening to someone talking in a monotone voice about
run of the mill cars, and how the bonnet stay works.

Hear hear!
>Quite. AFAIK, most manufacturer power figures are taken at crankshaft, rather than back wheel - it might account >for up 10% of the gross figure.
>Why didn't they know or find out ?

Frankly who cares.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Stuartli
How they created the limos' middle sections was completely missed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Lud
Galloping carp again, just like last week. Awful.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - peterb
Hillarious! So funny I was in pain from laughing so much.

I have many, many friends who have no interest in cars but watch TG every week without fail.

For those who don't like it: switch off and get over it.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - stunorthants26
It was a funny episode for sure, but ive been feeling that this last series has lacked substance - watch the re-runs of older TG on UKG2 and you realise whats missing.

What I would like to see, is a return to the races, but perhaps a little further afield - how about getting the guys to do one of these runs with a cheap car to Russia for instance - the american show was very funny and left the other shows wanting.

I would also like to see more actual roadtests of new cars and esp those special cars you dont often hear about - I loved the bit JC did on the Spyker for instance.

It would be nice to see a little more politics in TG - motoring is very political anyway and these guys have the perfect platform and huge audience to reach people, although of course Im sure they get leaned on from upon high if they go too far.
>>It would be nice to see a little more politics in TG >>

What about the bit where the Hamster was asked if he'd hit or been sick over a certain T Bliar when he had the perfect opportunity...?
>>For those who don't like it: switch off and get over it.

Why - I pay a licence fee as do you - why not comment on programmes produced partly from my fee? Do you believe the only reviews should be good ones ?

>>I have many, many friends who have no interest in cars but watch TG every week without fail.

About says it all really.

Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Snakey
I like TG, its an hour of harmless entertainment that has a loose connection with cars. It isn't Question Time. It isn't Panorama.

I personally can't stand Eastenders and therefore don't watch it every week to get annoyed by it!
>>For those who don't like it: switch off and get over it.
Why - I pay a licence fee as do you

You could aways go down the pub woodbines. Oh, I forgot, it's full of people having a good laugh ;o)
BBC: "You obviously don't like the programme Woodbines so we're going to take it off."
WOODBINES (for it is he): "What, and spoil my weekly moan?"
_______
IanS
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - islandman
One way I judge a TV program is how quickly the show passes and invariably for me TG's hour goes quickly. It's not perfect but it's good light entertainment. As has been said before it's primarily about 3 blokes who like cars and have different personalities & who 'appear' to get on well. JC - the bloke's bloke who doesn't give a toss for PC. RH -- Who the ladies like (Well, they do in my office) JM -- Eccentric, captain slow.
It may have it's faults but compared to some/most of the stuff that goes by the name of entertainment I think it's pretty good.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - UncleR
@Stuartli >> How they created the limos' middle sections was completely missed.

Totally agree. I was really disappointed they missed it out. I suspect because they were professionally constructed (but made to look botched) which would have gone against the 'clumsy blokes' theme.
Still a great show though.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Leif
Three middle aged males acting like adolescents and doing 'zany things' but with a huge budget and professionals to do the actual work for them. I ignored much of it, then finally turned it off. I suppose it appeals to enough people to make it worthwhile.

Wasn't Mrs Doctor Who (Billie Piper) posh? I though she spoke chav. I reckon she's been on electrocution lessons to posh up her voice.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Caveman
Excellent show as always. TG gets a positive vote from me.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Westpig
really enjoyed it......mate was around who is not into cars and he laughed so much i thought he was going to have a coronary............SWMBO watched it this morning, ditto

i like my cars and i like good entertainment, so i really like the programme

can understand why some wouldn't like it, but why do they put themselves through it each week if they don't like it?

I think 5th Gear is now total carp, so i've stopped watching it....... others might still like it.... easy enough choice isn't ti, to 'turn over' or 'off'.

Perhaps introducing VBH alongside Top Gear's presenters might liven it up even more?
Perhaps introducing VBH alongside Top Gear's presenters might liven it up
even more?

Not VBH, that blonde German woman who's done 14,000 laps of the Nurburgring. The Stigette...
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - boxsterboy
Her name is Sabine.

That's the one. Absolutely charming I thought.
Yes Lud - In fact I suggested ..aherm.. she would be a good addition to TG in a much older thread , but also conjectured she
might show the boys up - both in driving skill & general televisual appeal - she's also bright as a button.

My labrador is better looking, - mind its driving skills its probably better than the top gear trio as well.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Micky
And here's a nice photo of Sabine and friends just for you Lud

www.maseraticlub.co.uk/racing7/ring-09a.jpg
Yes, isn't she sweet with those dimples. Goes like stuff off a shovel at the wheel too, with an occasional scream of terror...
And don't forget her friends Lud ....
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - mare
And here's a nice photo of Sabine and friends just for
you Lud
www.maseraticlub.co.uk/racing7/ring-09a.jpg

Yikes - that confirms my theory that Sabine Schmidt is really Michael Schumacher in a wig!

For Woodbines, an alternative to TG might have been watching the Ipcress File on the big screen at the Little Theatre in Bath. That's what i did anyway, then came home and watched Top Gear on Teleport Replay. Very funny, and I laughed out loud several times.
an alternative to TG might have been watching the
Ipcress File on the big screen at the Little Theatre in
Bath.

They used to do theatre, not naff old British cold war movies... Bath is the nearest thing I have to a home town although I wasn't born there.

Ghastly traffic A4 east these days I notice...
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - mare
Ghastly traffic A4 east these days I notice...

Ghastly traffic full stop. Journey to Bristol is an hour along the A4, but 40 minutes if you double the distance and hit the lanes.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - drbe
Her name is Sabine.

Yes, curious that.

I wonder if she was given that name by her parents or decided to acquire it?
More like 20,000 laps now I would think...:-)

Yes, I remember the impressive Sabine well; IIRC, she was going to be a regular but it never materialised.

Perhaps The Stig didn't want to be shown up?
BBC: "You obviously don't like the programme Woodbines so we're going to take it off."

>.WOODBINES (for it is he): "What, and spoil my weekly moan?"

I can only agree RtB! - TG was becoming an exercise in masochism ;-)

So obviously can't wait for the next series!
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - tanvir
Galloping carp again, just like last week. Awful.

why did you watch it again then? needed something to moan about?
why did you watch it again then? needed something to moan
about?

>>

no tanvir, just always hope for the best on this subject, with these people.

But you can't win them all whoever you are.

It's all very well for me to carp, I agree. My right (lol) as a consumer however.
>> why did you watch it again then? needed something to
moan
>> about?
>>
no tanvir, just always hope for the best on this subject,
with these people.

That has been my argument too, but the good bits have been getting so few and far between that it is not worth it. And I missed the American one and I am told that it was very good. Maybe I should watch the ones I miss and avoid the others.

But do you (and others) switch off / change channel during
the show or watch it right the way through?

Dave,
you're right but one does live in hope of seeing something interesting. If it was a gardening related comedy programme it wouldn't get tv space here. I tend to SKY it and whizz through the dross.............Sometimes there is a pearl amongst the sand (or silicon/silicone) like the Aston Martin fests. I didn't last night and consequently watched it live, by any rational standard it was poor, if you want to watch a programme about cars. It is now a programme that BBC sells to the world together with the likes of Telly Tubbies. That streched limo thing was a right bore especially the celeb thing at the end.
One man's meat is another's man's poison.

How boring it would be if we all liked exactly the same things.
You're right.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - martint123
I hope they go away and have a long think about any future episodes, if any.
I've learnt to record it and play it back at 12x speed - much better, don't have to put up with the rubbish for so long.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - No FM2R
>>I've learnt to record it and play it back at 12x speed -

Actually if you buy one of those plug sockets with an inbuilt timer you could set it to record the show and then play it back while you were out. Then you wouldn't have to suffer at all.
As my dad was a farmer for some 41 years before he retired, I saved last weeks espisode (diy petrol + tractors) for him to watch ## . All I could hear from the other room was frequent laughter from both my father and mother as they watched the antics. Now before I delete this weeks episode off the Sky+ box (the limos) they want to also watch that as well ##.

## Not the whole show, I hasten to add, just the challenges.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Tornadorot
ps, Thinking about it, May does resemble Compo ;o)

He may look like Compo, but he's definitely the Foggy Dewhurst of the three. Clarkson's truculent buffoonery is much more like Compo, which means Hammond must be Clegg....
This program is absolute rubbish - somebody compared their clowning around to 'Last Of The Summer Wine' - they were right.

Gadzooks!! They really were right.

img412.imageshack.us/i/summerwine1.jpg/

{edited as original link didn't work anymore}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/11/2009 at 21:51

Nice one DD.
Where will their future careers go? Perhaps, Jezza providing the voice for Wallace (of "& Gromit" fame)?
Nice one DD.
Where will their future careers go? Perhaps, Jezza providing the voice
for Wallace (of "& Gromit" fame)?

I think they will do well. Clarkson was already a 'star' and must make a fortune from his "Clarkson drives around making various noises in a fast car" videos, part 1, part 2 etc, which sell in huge quantities. The others have becomes 'stars', and hence they can front mindless game shows and be panellists on their mates' mindless game shows.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - drbe
Does anyone have any info as to how much the three presenters are paid?

I was told that Clarkson and Hammond get a million pounds per show, while May was, until recently, being paid around £40,000 per show. He argued about it and his money was increased.

Any updates or anything more conclusive? It soundds like useful money anyway.

Apologies if this has already been covered.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2007 at 18:35

Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - BobbyG
I too heard those figures but they were not per show! More likely per series!
Remember JC owns the company that makes it doesn't he?
uk.news.yahoo.com/07032007/344/bbc-sorry-clarkson-...l

Wow, big deal.
Good heavens, a Tog Gear presented saying something insensitive. Now there's a novelty. Errr, isn't that the whole ethos of Clarkson et al?
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Dipstick
I'm no apologist for PC, but I think if you were to take that line then they could say anything they liked and if challenged say "oh, that's just the way we are", which I would think not to be a good thing.

>>Now there's a novelty. Errr, isn't that the whole ethos of Clarkson et al?

I think it is Leif.

[bleeding heart liberal mode]

We all know JC likes his japes & his stooges are generally
able to give as good as etc, but the 'a mental' banter wasn't specific enough. It made a joke of mental incapacity
in a very general way, i.e. it wasn't 'you banged your head & may suffer long-lasting consequences' (not a 'funny'
phrase, but you get my drift) , but came across as an all- encompassing & demeaning put-down for any state/condition/accident
that would cause mental debility. Hence, I think, the exception expressed by Headway. I imagine all the
kids watching, without question or challenge from their parents might now think that the term is ok to use & maybe even 'kewl'

[/bleeding heart liberal mode]

didn't Tiger Woods have a similar problem when he called someone a 'spas'.....(pronounced spazz)

i don't think for one minute Tiger Woods or JC are inherently unpleasant people or would go out of their way to deeply upset anyone

and neither do i think the majority of people with some form of disability would be the slightest bit concerned about it.........seeing it for what it is

humour
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - billy25
well, in defence of Top Gear, heres my tu'ppence worth.
As Gf is an avid Emmerdale fan, and I like Corrie, we have never watched T.G, but somehow tonight we ended up with it on BBC2.
To be honest it turned out to be the last in the series, (was that lucky? me thinks not!) I was glad when 8.00pm came because we were in agony from laughing so much!.
Well worth my licence fee, hurry back in the summer T.G, you've got at least two fans!

Billy
Emmerdale ? Corrie? Que? Code words for something perhaps? Obscure Allied naval actions in 1943? The latest prototype from that well known Korean motor manufacturer Sowhoflungdung? Slang terms for brain rotting drugs? I think we should be told.

Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - oldgit
I'm ambivalent towards TG now. This last series was certainly very funny in places but I am wondering, again, if they've lost the plot. What can further series achieve, if they don't move on with a different format or part, thereof.

When I read through some of the Saturday papers' motoring sections and see all the lovely new cars that are around or about to be introduced, I wonder, again, why a programme like TG couldn't feature 'sensible' reports on at least some of them and in a manner that did not just mean that they were tearing around an aerodrome with the rear hanging out. I don't want appear to be too sober-sides but surely some part of their programme could be devoted to this aspect of motoring as it affects all our lives (at least those of us who drive).

Just showing staged, silly stunts every week, to my thinking is just crass, despite some of them being hilarious.
Top Gear Related Thread - Volume 28 - Big Bad Dave
"and neither do i think the majority of people with some form of disability would be the slightest bit concerned about it"

Spaz, Ironside, that sort of thing were all pet names I had for my wheelchair-bound sister. She had a wicked sense of humour and gave better than she got. What she loved was people who noticed her, involved her, took the mick, asked her to pass something from the top shelf, invited her to Jiu Jitzu classes, etc. What she absolutely hated was people who averted their gaze or ignored her.
>>i don't think for one minute Tiger Woods or JC are inherently unpleasant people or would go out of their way to deeply upset anyone
>>and neither do i think the majority of people with some form of disability would be the slightest bit concerned about it.........seeing it for what it is
>.humour

I don't think you have to be an inherently unpleasant person to use such names, labels or epithets in a thoughtless or 'humourous' way, just as I hadn't noticed people with disabilities finding it inherently funny to have themselves referred to via their disability. Just because people don't break down and cry when they hear judgemental or discriminatory remarks doesn't mean they're unaffected by it . What some regard as the 'sporting' manner in which people with disabilities apparently accept this kind of thing, is often their coping mechanism.
I don't think you have to be an inherently unpleasant
person to use such names, labels or epithets in a
thoughtless or 'humourous' way, just as I hadn't noticed
people with disabilities finding it inherently funny to have
themselves referred to via their disability. Just because people don't break
down and cry when they hear judgemental or discriminatory remarks doesn't
mean they're unaffected by it . What some regard as the
'sporting' manner in which people with disabilities apparently accept this
kind of thing, is often their coping mechanism.

but equally so, it is usually the 'non affected' who dive in to support this poor maligned person, through their own misplaced outrage........when in reality this person would far rather be treated just like everyone else.......which would include 'black humour' etc..... and indeed why shouldn't they be treated 'just like everyone else'?

>>but equally so, it is usually the 'non affected' who dive in to support this poor maligned person, through their own misplaced outrage..

If this refers to me or my family as being ' non affected' - it presumes too much. It's also instructive to understand, that karma has an unerring way of teaching us the lessons we need to learn.

p8 today's Telegraph....

something going on at the BBC apparently.

Clarkson is quoted as saying "After last week's Top Gear, the continuity announcer said the show would be back in the summer. Can I just say here and now, it won't be"......quote apparently taken from his newspaper column.

BBC spokesman quoted "Top Gear is coming back. there will be a special in the summer and a new series in the autumn"........when pressed whether Clarkson would be in it stated "I cannot go beyond the fact that the show is coming back"

JC being got at by the politically correct brigade possibly?.....despite the hit ratings and his popularity?

no more clarkson? - milkyjoe
apparently jeremy clarkson reckons there wont be any more top gear according to his weekly rant in the sun newspaper but the beeb spokesman says there will be a new series in the summer,would be a shame to drop the popular sunday night slot
no more clarkson? - Armitage Shanks {p}
It could carry on without Clarkson!
no more clarkson? - Stuartli
>>It could carry on without Clarkson!>>

But would lose most of its impact...
no more clarkson? - DP
I don't think it would be the same show if it lost any of the current presenters. The on-screen chemistry between all of them makes it what it is.

Cheers
DP
no more clarkson? - Niallster
Contract re-negotiation ploy?

Cynical? Moi?
no more clarkson? - artful dodger {P}
This is from the Sunday Telegraph report:

A BBC spokesman said: "Top Gear is coming back. There will be a special in the summer and a new series in the autumn. However, refused to discuss Clarkson's personal future."

Clarkson's wife Francie was last night unable to clear up the mystery. At first she said that nothing had been finalised. She later said that she was not in a position to comment about her husband's future with the show.
tinyurl.com/37m5e5

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

no more clarkson? - teabelly
I think he wants to out do Hammond in the contract negotiation! I know Jezzer really wants a veyron so maybe he is trying to swing enough to cash to buy one :0) It will be a shame if Top Gear were ruined. If they do get someone to replace Clarkson then either Suzy Perry (has to control the 2 silly beggars on the gadget show) or Sabine Schmidt (way too cool to do it) would be reasonable substitutes and add something to the dynamic. If they end up with awful Irish fellow Jason Barlow, VBH, any of the useless sky motoring programme presenters I'll scream!
teabelly
no more clarkson? - Rattle
Dind't Jason Barlow used to be present Top Gear when it was the old format?
no more clarkson? - Jemima Can
Hooray!!!
no more clarkson? - Niallster
If not Clarkson I vote for Suzy Perry. Biker royalty.
no more clarkson? - colinh
Quote from JC article in S----- T----- today:

"Only last week, while preparing a Top Gear item on affordable hatchbacks, I had to say to a researcher: ?What is my opinion of the Renault Clio??"
This is where Top Gear has failed in the past year, the scripting has become far too obvious, the students are too far fetched and very often they are not anything do with TG but other companies projects who want to use TG as a way of publicity. The Reliant Robin into space thing for example.
no more clarkson? - Armitage Shanks {p}
What 'Students'?
Oops I meant stunts :p: I always try and do 3 trillion things at once, I spend 3 secodns on each reply while doing other more important stuff like a website for a client (thankfully I am not typing any copy :p:).

no more clarkson? - billy25
Awww! hope he's not just jacking it in just because i said he'd got two more fans! (in the T.G thread)
no more clarkson? - midlifecrisis
Suzy Perry......'cause she's just yummy!!
Be careful you don't get too Rattled...:-)
no more clarkson? - oldgit
I posted this elsewhere, but here it is again, for what it is worth.

I'm ambivalent towards TG now. This last series was certainly very funny in places but I am wondering, again, if they've lost the plot. What can further series achieve, if they don't move on with a different format or part, thereof, it will just be more of the same.

When I read through some of the Saturday papers' motoring sections and see all the lovely new cars that are around or about to be introduced, I wonder, again, why a programme like TG couldn't feature, occasionally, 'sensible' reports on at least some of them and in a manner that did not just mean that they were tearing around an aerodrome with the rear hanging out. I don't want appear to be too sober-sides but surely some part of their programme could be devoted to this aspect of motoring as it affects all our lives (at least those of us who drive).

Just showing obviously, highly staged, silly stunts every week, to my thinking is just crass, despite some of them being hilarious. Some of them are not even motoring related, are they?

Unlike my sister, I quite like JC, and therefore she'd be glad to see the back of him and so if the 'show' does continue, I hope that he stays.
no more clarkson? - L'escargot
The amount Jeremy Clarkson knows about car design you could stick in your eye and not notice it. Like many others of his ilk he's just a journalist. As soon as Top Gear gets someone knowledgeable then I'll watch it.
--
L\'escargot.
no more clarkson? - JH
L
"As soon as Top Gear gets someone knowledgeable then I'll watch it". So that's you coming out as another Suzy Perry fan?
JH
no more clarkson? - L'escargot
L
"As soon as Top Gear gets someone knowledgeable then I'll watch
it". So that's you coming out as another Suzy Perry fan?

Could be. I don't know her but I understand she's "yummy". I could lower my knowledge requirements if she's yummy enough! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
no more clarkson? - midlifecrisis
You could lower your intelligence to caveman...she's really THAT yummy!! :)
no more clarkson? - stunorthants26
I wouldnt bother with the show without the current set of presenters. Yes they have lost their way with the last series, but I think there was some pressure from upon high which may have affected it somewhat.

I hope they find their way back to form for the next series and I hope Clarkson listens to fans of the show and doesnt give it up - he says things that many people are afraid to say and isnt afraid to argue - he, along with the other two, are the only balance to the glossy perception car makers want us to have of them and their products.

Best advice to the three of them, is watch their own re-runs and see where they have gone wrong with last series.
Highlight of last series for me was by far the American trip. Id just really like to see them do that in Russia now!
no more clarkson? - Citroënian {P}
Here's how I see it -

TG is very popular and wold be an asset to any channel.

TG is made by JC and Wilman's company.

JC writes for the Sun and the Sunday Times, and has done for some time. (i.e. Murdoch's papers)

Hamster works on Brainiac, on Sky

James Murdoch is hellbent on increasing Sky's market share, as well he should be (see Virgin Media)

Vroom Vroom is absolute rubbish.

So it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see TopGear on BBC, without Clarkson, Hammond and May but perhaps with (lord save us) VBH, Eaamon Holmes and Graham Norton...

In the meantime, the three lovable rogues turn up on sky with a JC/AW produced programmed called Three blokes in cars or something which is really just TG over again, more people watch sky, Hammond, May and Clarkson get more £££s,

Don't forget that TG sells well abroad so is good news for whosoever makes/markets it.

I'd be sorry for Auntie to lose it, but Sky has all the money these days

-- He\'s a cheeky wind-up scamster and he\'s on the radio....
The BBC is still insisting (see Ceefax Page 124 today) that TG will be back.
no more clarkson? - Dynamic Dave
Hamster works on Brainiac, on Sky

Did work on Brainiac. Vic Reeves is replacing him.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5345812.stm
no more clarkson? - Citroënian {P}
Good spot DD, I'd not seen that. I like Vic, but he seems to have lost his purpose. He's not much on TV these days, will be interesting to see how he fairs on Brainiac - could go even more weird with him involved....perhaps he can ressurect the man with the stick
-- He\'s a cheeky wind-up scamster and he\'s on the radio....
no more clarkson? - Pugugly {P}
According to today's other paper JC says he's going, BBC say he isn't and indeed a Top Gear Summer Special - reminds me in many ways of the Beano/Dandy/Topper Summer Specials that were put out in the long hot summers of my childhood.
The Stig speaks! - Dipstick
Ok, it's a Dutch team that made this brief video about Top Gear, and there's only a word or two from the Stig at the end, but he does speak.

Video is embedded in the web page.

tinyurl.com/2flmm6