court speeding today...result - jpfarrello
Dear all,
Firstly, if you remenber, I asked for any last minute advice. Those of you who bothered typing out a load of rhetoric about anarchy were going a bit too deep.
I appreciate we should obey the law and I pleaded guilty to both offences.
My mitigation was that as it was the same stretch of road and two minutes apart, it should be treated as one offence. They were both cameras one mile apart. For the nice person who stated that that would be 30mph in between,
I thankyou. However, I figured if they delved into it too deeply maybe it was at 0500.59 secs and 0502.00 secs. This would put me up to 60mph, so I thought I should leave that excuse alone.
Anyway, after putting my case the Magistrates retired and left it to the clerk of the court to look up any case law. I had previously looked at this and case law suggests that offences could be treated as the same for the purpose of penalty points if there was any link between them. Obviously I stated that the link was same road same speed same timeish etc.
The Magistrates returned and gave my sentence...
First speeding offence £150 fine...Second speed offence £140 fine and THREE points in total!!!!
That is in contrast to me sending off the NIPS and getting fined £120 and six points.
Now I feel that justice has been done. I accept that I broke the law but six points was not proportionate for the offences. I am happy with three and a bigger fine. Insurance companies will not load my premium etc.
I think that it shows that if you turn up to court withreasonable mitigation you will be listened to.
Once again thankyou for your constructive comments and good wishes.etc
JP
Re: court speeding today...result - RickyBoy
Result! Will you be going out to a country pub on the piss to celebrate later this evening?...
Re: please explain 0500.59 vs 0502.00 seconds?? - jack
I am confused.
Can you please explain how or why the 1.01 seconds difference matters?
Re: please explain 0500.59 vs 0502.00 seconds?? - Kev
Thereoetically if he covers 1 mile in 2 minutes, that 30 mph (speed =distance/time). He said that they were at 5:00 and 5:02.

However, that 5:00 could have been 5:00:59 (more or less 5:01) and putting that back into the equation he will end up with 1 mile covered in 1 minute [more or less] hence 60mph......

Sorry, if thats pedantic......

Kev
Re: please explain 0500.59 vs 0502.00 seconds?? - jpfarrello
Kev,
Thanks, that is what I meant. sorry if it wasn't clear for others

JP
Re: Thanks for the explanation - jack
Thanks. I was puzzled how 1 second difference changed the speed from 30 to 60 mph.
Re: please explain 0500.59 vs 0502.00 seconds?? - Brian
The times originally quoted were to the nearest minute, giving a two minute gap for a mile i.e. 30 mph.
If the timings were taken to the second the gap could have been as low as one minute and a couple of seconds, giving an average speed of nearly 60 mph.
Vespas faster now? - Tomo
When I rode a Vespa the performance was such that jpfarello's figures would indicate full throttle, and 60mph, with no tank to get flat on as on brother's Bantam, would need to be down a near precipice!
Re: Vespas faster now? - Brian
Modern scooters are quicker.
My Honda Pantheon 125cc scooter (spare bike) will exceed 60mph easily. Tops is well over 70.
Re: court speeding today...result - Bill Doodson
Brian,

You should try the Yamaha VMax, 115 with no trouble stable to and quick around the corners.

Bill
Re: court speeding today...result - Alwyn
So the drive to work cost you £290 for harming no-one? Don't forget to tell your insurance company so that they can increase your premiums.

Perhaps you should give up work and become a street robber. Then you can get loads of cash for very little time and efort and, in the unlikely event of being caught, there is no chance at all of getting a fine as big as that.

You will also have free legal representation, a social worker, a psychiatrist, probation officer and all the rest of the parasitic circus that serves as justice in todays UK.

Singapore, anyone?
Re: court speeding today...result - pugugly
Whoops I'm a parasite...................!
Re: court speeding today...result - Steve G
Well said Alwyn
Re: court speeding today...result - pugugly
Now that is a fine example of lay justice in action. I will avoid any political comment.
Re: court speeding today...result - Lee H
How many posts did you pass at 5:01?

:-)

Lee
Re: court speeding today...result - Brian
What's the fuel consumption like, Bill?
I'm wedded to my present one doing 80 miles mixed driving on 4 litres.
On the other hand .....................
Re: court speeding today...result - Andrew
When you say the cameras are a mile apart is that a mile ish or a proper measured mile?
If it was ot a proper measured mile the magistrates would not have been able to make any calculations on your average speed between the two.
Did you plead 'Not Guilty' or just plead mitigation? If you were NG were there any other witnesses called.
Still think that it was one continual offence and the fact that you were only given 3 points seems to corroborate this. As for the fines well you seem happy to have paid £170 to save three points. I would not have been.
if a Police car had followed you between the two points and used them as Vascar fixed points then you would have only had to answer to one offence.
However I cannot remember what you said the limit was but if it was 30MPH you would have ben double the limit which the Courts sometimes take a very dim view of.

Andrew