Megane wheel Bearing: going, going... - Botchit, Soddem & Leggit
My megane (now with >120,000 miles on the clock is in need of a new wheel bearing.

3 have been done already, but the 4th has outlasted the others my some 20K miles and now is on the way out.

Squeals a bit on corners at low speed and you can feel the play when the wheel is lifted off the ground. Got it booked in on Jan 30th but how robust are knackered bearings? What are my chances of causing other damage or risking seizure and problems that follow soon after? I really need to use the car to get to and from work between now and then (50 mile round trip).

In the worst case I will have to use my bike more or my wife's car.

Thoughts anybody???

Wheel Bearing: going, going... - Aprilia
Once they develop a lot of play they get hot and can fail quite catastrophically. If you continue to drive it then keep an ear open and maybe feel the wheel centre for signs of heating. If it were my car I would change it straight away.
Megane wheel Bearing: going, going... - BobG
Having owned 12 Renaults in the family since 1980 I can say that their wheel bearings have never been their strong point - in fact the only real problem I have encountered with the marque. They do fail rapidly after you hear the tell-tale noises. My other advice is to discard any "Renault" grease and use a trusted top brand - it seems to prolong the life of the bearings - you'll prrobably notice that the original lubricant is dry, hard and useless.