Vandalism to car - an update - Hugo {P}
Remember this?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=46...2

Well, I was driving past said individuals house, so I thought I would pay him a visit.

I Introduced myself to him then told him that as he was responsible for my loss I was seeking reimbursement from him. He immediately apologised and accepted responsibility.

He then went to a scrap vehicle that he owned and started to remove a same size wiper for me. I pointed out that whilst I apprecated his willingness to help, I had already replaced the wiper and that the one I had lost was quite new, not second hand.

He agreed then to establish how much he could get a new one for and I suggested that he either give me the cost of a new blade or a new blade. It's his choice. I passed on my number to him.

I also politely pointed out that his actions that night were most unwelcome and pointless and that he should refrain from being a nuisance in my area in future. To give him his due he apologised again and did point out that there was little else he could do other than apologise. I pointed out that he could undertake to refrain from baing a nuisance from this point on as his actions only served to inconvenience, and hit the pockets of others. I also mentioned that I didn't feel why I should have to fund the consequences of his behaviour. I agreed with his assertion that his owning up to the offence was commendable but responded that we would have all preferred that he had not done it in the first place.

He used drink as an excuse and said "We all do stupid things when we've had a few" I then suggested that he should stay off the drink if he couldn't be sure of behaving himself when he's drunk.

He admitted that the Police had suggested the same to him as well. This obviously hit home to him as he seemed even more embarresed - he further admitted that the police had given him a 'written warning'. I know he's got a caution for this and another offence.

I thanked him for his time and mentioned that I looked forward to hearing from him soon, then left.

Vandelism to car - an update - Navara Van man
Im afraid I would not have been as polite. Sufice it to say tht his cars would need more than new wipers. Sadly I doubt the guy will pay.
Vandelism to car - an update - DP
Glad you got a result, and fair play to you for having the guts to confront him. Many wouldn't. It does sound like your particular perp was unusually humble and placid though. I suspect most would have been a little more challenging.

I had similar success with this approach a few years ago after an uninsured driver hit my car when SWMBO was driving it. I must be getting older, but the thought of doing it now terrifies me. However, I got £200 cash for a headlight, bumper, grille and numberplate which I otherwise would have had to fork out myself, as well as an immediate withdrawal of his claim against my policy (he was trying to claim it was SWMBO's fault). I simply pointed out that I hadn't reported his lack of insurance to the police at this stage, and had no intention of doing so as long as I didn't end up out of pocket over the incident. He took the hint and coughed up surprisingly willingly.

Good result though, well done! I would just urge caution with this approach as there are so many nutters about these days.

Cheers
DP

Vandelism to car - an update - Hugo {P}
This person is known for his drink problem, but seen as a harmless soul otherwise. He seems to be quite well known in the village - for both the right and the wrong reasons.

I did tell the Police that I intended to pursue the matter with him as a civil matter - the officer that dealt with it specifically said that he didn't see any problem with that. Infact he considered that the indivicual would be very cooperative.

DP My late mother had an uninsured driver hit her car when she was being driven by someone else in it.

He immediately asked her what the damage was likely to cost. £1200 was the first figure that came into her head (shock?) He immediately coughed up £300 and promised to show up with the rest the following day. My mother agreed to meet him at a prearraged time and got her mechanic to be with her. When said chap arrived on time with cash her mechanic commented that he felt he felt like a spare part. Mother handled it beutifully knowing full well that she was in a strong position and was getting more than reimbursement for the damage to her car.

Her car was still perfectly driveable, probably having suffered around £350 damage. She never got it repared but changed it a year or so later by which time it would have been peanuts anyway. She put some of the money into her next car.
Vandelism to car - an update - Pugugly {P}
It still works in certain areas where a sense of community has remained. I can think of areas oin my neck of the woods where this approach would work and equally areas where I wouldn't consider it a viable way of keeping my legs.
Vandelism to car - an update - local yokel
Hugo - your late mother seems to have been a very smart person - most ladies of a certain age would have said something along the lines of "I'll have to ask my husband/son/SiL etc" and dithered. Thinking of a number and almost quadrupling is thinking on your feet!
Hugo - your late mother seems to have been a very
smart person - most ladies of a certain age would have
said something along the lines of "I'll have to ask my
husband/son/SiL etc" and dithered. Thinking of a number and almost
quadrupling is thinking on your feet!

Alas, she was very smart in certain respects - she had her faults god bless her but shrinking violet wasn't one of them.

She phoned me up that date panicking about what she had done. I asked her the following questions

1) Did he argue over the price? No
2) Will he come around with the rest of the cash? I think so - He did
3) Are you likely to have any more problems with him later? No I don't think so - she had her mechanic with her at the time anyway.
4) Why are you painicking? Answer I don't know if I've done the right thing.

To which my resonse was "You thought on your feet, you won't be out of pocket, and you won't see him again. His willingness to settle it and not want to see you again indicates that - Why worry?
It still works in certain areas where a sense of community
has remained. I can think of areas oin my neck of
the woods where this approach would work and equally areas where
I wouldn't consider it a viable way of keeping my legs.

Quite right PU. I asked the PC who arrested him what reception I was likely to get, and it turned out that I was well advised. If I wasn't comfortable with talking to him directly I would have probably pursued it by letter in the first instance.

I agree that this is not always an approach that is suitable and there are instances where it is best left alone in the satisfaction of knowing that the individual often has much less to look forward to in life than you or I.

Also, not everyone would feel confident in making the approach regardless of how reasonable the individual is.