Washing of a new car- water marks... - Giles
Hi all,
Probably a stupid/ unnessecary question, but anyway. I have a new car, and want it to look its best, so I wash it quite frequently. But, whenever I leave it to dry or even shamois leather it dry, I get left with sort of dusty marks where the water has dried and left deposits. How do I stop this happening short of drying the car with a hairdrier??!

Thanks,

Giles
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - Tom Shaw
A friend of mine claims that he gets the best finish by using rainwater to rinse the car after washing. I've not tried it myself but I've always been impressed by the appearance of his cars.
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - Keith Stockdale
Use the chamois leather real carefully. If you notice streaks the dampen the leather slightly and leather off each panel seperately until you get the desired result.

I live in an area with hard water and rarely have problems. It helps if you have direct sunlight, but if it is too hot you need to do the procedure above quite a few times as the water dries too quickly.

p.s. I would never take a nice new car through a car wash. Stick to washing by hand if you can.
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - Chris Eglinton
Always and I mean always leather off in the shade, NOT direct sunlight.
Don't agree. - watcher
Washing a car by hand is the WORST thing you can do. The auto car wash is far better at removing the small grit particles that are just waiting for your sponge to come along and be scrapped all over your nice new paint work.

Take it through the carwash THEN use the chammy to dry it off.
Re: Don't agree. - John S
I think you have a point about hand washing if you use a sponge, and not enough water. When you see people scrubbing away on a dirty car with a barely damp sponge it must be like fine wet and dry. Personally I use a 'Flexibrush' in a bucket of car shampoo, as this doesn't hold the grit like a sponge.

As for car washes - I'd never use one - seen too many cars covered in fine scratches due to these machines.

Regards

John
Re: Don't agree. - J Bonington Jagworth
Washing in or just after rain is a good method. You can always tell the car-washed cars by the scratches, especially on metallic finishes.
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - AFM
The dusty marks are probably lime-scale, the dissolved matter in the water which is left behind when the water evaporates. It's the same stuff that scales up your kettle.

Softened water is less likely to stain, hence you need a softener in most dishwahers. Rain water hasn't passed through chalk or limestone, so has no dissolved solids. Rinse with softened water or rain water, or just tolerate it..
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - Kevin

Giles,

It sure seems odd if you're still left with watermarks after drying with a chamois. Only thing I can think of is that the paintwork might have hard-water deposits left on it from before you took delivery.

Are you using warm water with the chamois, rinsing/wringing frequently and drying thoroughly ?

If so, try using Autoglym polish on a small section and see if that get's rid the marks but be aware that some manufacturers specifically recommend that you do not polish a new car for a few months to allow the paint to fully harden.

Kevin...
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - UKC32
Checkout how these boys do it -

216.147.22.29/forum/index.php3?s=

and click on Autopia University - there's a guide.
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - Dwight Van Driver
Use what the Car Show Room guys use - an Autoglym Flexiblade, a very soft plastic squegee. Takes off the bulk of water then a quick dab round with a wet chamois.Result nigh on perfect. Cost about £13/14. Not to be used after rain showers as that contains debris etc.

DVD.
Re: Washing of a new car- water marks... - markymarkn
By some Mer car polish, add a capful or two to the water you wash the car with.
It can be added to the water as well as applying neat.

This dries to a powder and is easy to buff up.

Job done and car looks spot-on!

Mark.
Re: autopia-carport homepage - JB
the autopia car care home page is

autopia-carport.com/

for autopia-cc home, click here
Re: Don't agree. - Giles
Thankyou people. I'll try them all and see what works for me...

Cheers,

Giles