Road humps - Casper
Now that Hogswatch is over, we're about to have a visit from the road hump gnome. Does anybody know the required specs (max height, width &c.) as if it's got to be I'd want it to be done properly. Otherwise any offers on the spell to dispel them
Road humps - Armitage Shanks {p}
www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1990/Uksi_19900703_en_2.htm
Road humps - graham woods
Hi there casper, i do not know the specs, all i know is that in my town there are thousands of the damn things, and some of them are massive, even on zebra crossings and roundabouts would you believe, there was even and article in my local paper recently that ambulance drivers where more or less saying that some of the humps where excessive, which of course slows them down when on an emergency call..... My town is riddled with dam big potholes every-where, why dont there fill some of these in instead ? Cheers, Graham.
Road humps - Hamsafar
Even if they are built to spec, that's no guarantee they'll stay that way, as the road tends to sink before them due to heavy braking, and after due to the vehicle crashing down, then the humps are higher and instead of a hump it becomes an entrapment.
Road humps - Dwight Van Driver
In addition - from DoT check these references out:

Road Humps

Road humps are the most effective traffic calming measure available for reducing speed. They are also the most severe as they force the driver to slow down. There are many different types of road hump, including round top, flat top, raised junctions (speed tables) and speed cushions.

Speed cushions have been introduced in order to overcome concerns about discomfort and delay expressed by bus companies and the emergency services resulting from the use of flat and round top road humps. Their design allows these larger wider vehicles to straddle the cushion thereby reducing delay and discomfort.

Concerns have also been expressed about the potential for low vehicles to ground on road humps and cushions. Following research into this, a maximum height of 75mm is recommended; this may need to be lower for very short or narrow cushions (see Traffic Advisory Leaflet 2/96).

Traffic Advisory Leaflet 7/96 (Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1996) gives guidance on the use of road humps and Traffic Advisory Leaflet 1/98 specifically deals with speed cushions.

dvd
Road humps - Oz
Road humps ...... force the driver to slow down.

But not company car drivers, methinks! ;o)

Oz (as was)
Even company car drivers slow down in this speed bump , pot holed town of mine.cheers, graham.
Road humps - kithmo
Wonderful things speed humps, a 10 ton truck or a bus, which has a longer braking distance when needing to stop in an emergency (e.g when a child steps out into the road), can carry on along the road unabaited at 30mph (and more, due to the fact that cameras are not placed where humps are due to no revenue being raised from them), whereas a car which can stop quicker in an emergency has to slow down to prevent damage to the suspension, due to having a narrower track and lower ground clearance than the above, then has to accelerate away again causing more pollution than it would by maintaining a steady speed. Where is the safety in that ? totally illogical IMO. Speed cushions are OK as you can glide over them but humps, especially the square ones, are a menace.
Hi kith, totally agree, cheers, grahan.
Road humps - Lud
Sorry, but I thought I noticed people bothering to complain about loathsome gratuitous bumps put in the road by monkeys in so-called 'office'?

Would have thought all that went without saying. However having scanned the specifications given in the weblink above I think I can say that a lot of the damn lumps of rubbish in this town are bigger than they ought to be. Just an impression though.