sip compressor 150ltr - piston power
just replaced faulty air pressure gauge with a new one and found compressor blows off and shuts down at 120psi is this normal? or should it go to 150psi? anybody know if it can be adjusted higher? thanks..
sip compressor 150ltr - Peter D
www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Airmate_Belt_Drive...l
What this model. ?? Regards Peter
sip compressor 150ltr - bell boy
my 150 litre compressor shuts off at 120 as well ,to be honest if it did more i would run.................fast
sip compressor 150ltr - defender
if you post the model no I can tell you the max working pressure and where to set it , there are different grades and settings for the range. what do you need the extra pressure for ?most air tools only need about 90psi and tyres such as super singles only need 110 psi ,just curious.
sip compressor 150ltr - nick
Doesn't it have a plate on it somewhere giving the max pressure?
sip compressor 150ltr - Simon
Just on a side note, I have seen an old home made compressor in a workshop that shuts off at almost 200psi. It hasn't blown itself apart yet!
sip compressor 150ltr - none
A few of years ago the workshop I worked in at the time had a perfectly good compressor. Then the insurance man came round to inspect it one day. From then on it used to run until there was a mighty blast of air from the safety valve, enough to scare the daylights out of anyone stood nearby. We got used to it and just used to turn it on and off manually.
Airstream as3hp 150, im not after more presure just that the other gauge was faulty so was never sure were the actual reading was? with the new one in place it shuts off at 120 just thought it maight have gone a bit higher but all is ok with the air tools i use, just interested thats all.!!
sip compressor 150ltr - LeePower
120 psi sounds find to me, well it was on all the ones I used to repair & service.

The pressure switch will shut off the compressor at around 8 bar, The built in safety valve will open at 9 bar & dump the air out of the tank should the pressure switch fail.

You can adjust the pressure switch if its not reaching the full 8 bar but thats really a job for someone whos had correct training.

sip compressor 150ltr - Canuck
"A few of years ago the workshop I worked in at the time had a perfectly good compressor. Then the insurance man came round to inspect it one day. From then on it used to run until there was a mighty blast of air from the safety valve, enough to scare the daylights out of anyone stood nearby. We got used to it and just used to turn it on and off manually."

The compressor should never be used in this condition, an exploding air receiver can easily kill people. I've seen photos of a 50 litre compressor that exploded (due to corrosion) and embedded a six inch slice of metal into a wall.

It is a basic engineering rule that safety systems should never be used as control systems.

As an aside, this might be part of what happened at Buncefield. We don't know yet, but the operators MAY have been routinely using the high tank level trip of the filling pumps as the means to stop the pump when the tank was full. I very much hope not, but we will see when the final reports are published.

Canuck
All seems ok then thanks for all the replies good to know it's working as it should, i drain it regular and just changed the oil so should last me well i hope !!
sip compressor 150ltr - Peter D
Do you do any panel spraying or just power tools and unseal etc. etc. Regards Peter
sip compressor 150ltr - defender
from what I can see 3hp sip compressors run at 9 or 10 bar ,seems to depend on the motor speed/gearing but if you want to increase the pressure there is a screw under the cover of the pressure switch which should be marked + or - but it is usually clockwise to increase pressure but just do a little bit at a time then drop air pressure to let compressor start and see how far the pressure comes up to and repeat as needed but dont go within 10psi of the relief valve so if it cuts in back off a bit
if however it is flow you need make sure the airline is coming direct from the reciever and not through any restrictors,
not sure about sip but most have a tap point on the end of the barrel which is what I use unles a water trap is needed
sip compressor 150ltr - LeePower
You SHOULDNT play with compressor pressure switches & settings if you havent been correctly trained!

If it lets go & the safety valve fails ( when was it last tested? Replaced? ) then its goodnight Vienna
thanks for all the info, i use it for my 1/2 air gun the tyre inflator, and a manual tyre machine, and a blow gun done a small bit of spraying on the radiators in the house ( removed off the wall !!)
just looked at other similar compressors some seem to go a little higher than 120psi so might adjust and see how it goes but won't over do it !! thanks for all the replies..