Computer Related Questions - Volume 110 - smokie

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 111 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 110. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

BBC Hijacked? - paul45
Wonder if anyone can help - normally my home site is set to the BBC, however as of today it keeps referring to www.hudeem.com - which has questionable content. No matter what I do I cannot get the BBC site without my browser referring me to this website. This only started today, and was coupled with my inability to download e-mails. Ran virus scan - nothing , ran spyware (Counterspy) and it found a trojan. Deleted this, went to a previous restore point before this became a problem - still does it. I have changed the home page to anything else but the BBC and it's OK but the minute I type BBC into the browser it takes me to this hudeem website. E-mail now working though.

I have checked in internet options and in couterspy and both of them are saying that BBC is my home page but it isn't.

I would be really grateful if anyone has any thoughts on how to cure this.

Thanks in anticipation.

Should have said I am running MS IE as my browser, Norton 2004 as anti virus and Sun belt Counterspy as spyware.
BBC Hijacked? - JohnPug
If you have a problem with browser hijacking, your best bet is to use Hijackthis!

www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

Run the program and then put the log file into this page

www.hijackthis.de/

This will tell you the suspect hijackers and what it thinks you should delete using Hijackthis!
BBC Hijacked? - Stuartli
In conjunction with JohnPug's advice re Hijackthis! you might care to add:

www.majorgeeks.com/HijackReader_d5385.html

which can also read the Hijackthis! files and suggest possible solutions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
BBC Hijacked? - oilrag
Paul, I had all those problems and solved them by formatting the whole drive and installing Ubuntu
Its downloadable and can be burnt to an ISO image on CD for installation.

www.ubuntu.com/

It never crashes and I dont bother with antivirus / spy progs anymore.
Best of all it free and so is all the software that is downloadable.
Its only one CD to download Ubuntu and installation seems easier than windows.

BBC Hijacked? - paul45
Guys

thanks a lot this has now sorted out the problem - once again this forum saves me a fortune

Cheers

Paul
Kerio Personal Firewall - Clanger
According to www.auditmypc.com my personal IP address is visible to anyone. It is recommended that I prevent this with my trusty firewall. I use Kerio Personal Firewall and have no idea how to tackle this problem. I have read the help stuff but it assumes knowledge and intellect that I don't have. Can anyone help with step-by-step advice? TIA.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Kerio Personal Firewall - Stuartli
Go to:

www.grc.com/intro.htm

and run the ShieldsUp test (link just over half way down the main page listing)
Kerio Personal Firewall - Baskerville
The IP address allocated to you by your Internet Service Provider will not be hidden by anything you add to your PC. In order to surf anonymously you need to set up your browser to go through a proxy server which hides your IP address. Some of these are free and some are not. A quick google will throw up loads of examples and instructions. Even so your "real" IP is still available to the administrators of the proxy and some do not make you fully anonymous.

If you don't want to use a proxy all the time, try this:

proxify.com/

Synching Outlook/Ericcson phone - borasport20
Has anybody out there tried synching Outlook running under XP with a Sony Ericsson W810 ?
I can get it to work at work all the time, but only intermittently at home

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Outlook Express Address Book - BobbyG
SWMBO has accidentally deleted a couple of contacts from my address book. Can these be retrieved from anywhere or are they gone?
Outlook Express Address Book - Dynamic Dave
Probably gone. Maybe the contacts *could* be retrieved from the sent items or inbox folder if you've previously corresponded with them.
Laptop Recommendation - Number_Cruncher
My Toshiba Satellite Laptop is beginning to have some problems (not charging the battery properly when on the mains), and so, before it fails completely, I'm beginning to look for another. Having only ever used Toshiba laptops, I really don't know if I'm missing any other obvious choice.

My requirements are;

- Must be really good at cpu intensive work (currently a mobile P4, 2.8 GHz) - it's helpful if this doesn't need huge cooling fans like my current machine. Are the newer processors better than the mobile P4 for heat generation?

- Must be able to have at least 1GB of memory and 100 GB of hard drive space

- I need to be able to use software which requires a parallel port dongle is in place (my current machine has a parallel port, but i seems new machines don't tend to have one) - are there any good ways to get round this problem?

- Must have a reasonable pointing device (touch pad rather than small keyboard mounted joystick) and at least a 15" screen for CAD type work.

- I'm not hugely bothered about it being lightweight, I would prefer a rugged machine. Typically, the usage is 2 hours on the train per day, 6 hours in the office, and then a few hours in the evening. So, as long as battery life is comfortably over 2 hours, it's probably OK.

As you might imagine, I have my eye on the deals Morgan Computers are offering on Toshibas, but, I would be interested to hear any other recommendations and experience.

Cheers,

Number_Cruncher
Laptop Recommendation - rtj70
Sounds like your current laptop only needs a new battery. After a while they do not hold a proper charge.

Newer laptops based on the new Core Duo/Solo, and actually the older Pentium M's, do run cooler and have very good performance at lower clock speeds. It is surprising what you can get for your money these days too. Don't rule out the AMD Turion either.

As for the parallel port requirement, this will be pretty rare. Thoughts on this:

- my laptop came with a small "docking" station that clips on the back and provides additional USB, a serial and a parallel port. Without it it's USB only
- would your software work via a USB to parallel port adapter? Not a neat solution granted but might work. Maplin do them so I'd be tempted to take the current laptop and try the dongle in the shop via the USB/parallel port adapter.
Laptop Recommendation - Falkirk Bairn
A new battery is the solution - if this fixes the problem then it will give you plenty time to investigate a new model. The USB to // converters might not work - you would need to check it out b4 buying any model to replace the existing one b4 you part with the money.
Laptop Recommendation - Victorbox
I agree it would be much cheaper - probably £50 to £80 to replace the battery. www.computerbatteries.co.uk/

"Must be really good at cpu intensive work" if you can run to a Core 2 Duo then this should be what you need & save power over a P4.
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions;

Sorry, I should have described the problem I'm having with more clarity - I think it is more serious than needing a new battery.

I do have two batteries, one which came with the machine, and one which is only one month old - both work (or fail to!) in the same sort of way.

Over the last forthnight or so, the LEDs on the front of the machine have not been coming on when the mains adaptor is plugged in, and the battery charge LED, which is amber while charging, and green when charged simply isn't coming on at all. If I flex the base of the machine, I can get the mains LED to come on or go off.

Despite this, the battery is usually being charged, as long as I don't take too much power, by having the screen bright, or by asking it to do hard sums. However, once or twice over the past week or two, while plugged into the mains, the battery hasn't been under charge, and has discharged to the point where the machine shuts down without warning, taking my work with it.

So, although I can nurse the machine along using either battery, I think its days are numbered. I've had the machine apart, but I can't see any dry joints or cracks in the motherboard, and I've cleaned all the connectors using an aerosol cleaner.

It is looking like I'm going to be shopping for a Core 2 Duo system, and some means of replicating a parallel port. Are there any brands/models to aim for, or to avoid?

Cheers,

Number_Cruncher

Laptop Recommendation - Statistical outlier
I'd recommend Samsung and warn away from Sony. That's only personal experience, but Sony were banned at my last work as they'd had so many problems with the machines and the customer service.
Laptop Recommendation - Stuartli
You can get USB to parallel port adapters (and variations) such as:

tinyurl.com/skal9

tinyurl.com/tyu2q

www.picotech.com/usb_data_acquisition.html

No doubt Maplins and similar outlets also stock them but probably more expensive.
Laptop Recommendation - daveyjp
Bought a laptop last summer from an independent retailer who sell thousands of machines a year. Specs across the wide range were similar making them all much of a muchness - IBM and Toshiba were most expensive when comparing specs.

I asked which brands are the least likely to be returned with a fault and was advised to buy Sony as returns were negligible, so we opted for a Vaio. I was advised to avoid Acer as they are regular returnees. We have Dell laptops in the office which take some hammer and I don't remember one failing.
Laptop Recommendation - Stuartli
A lot of Acer models are rebadged by other companies under their own name.
Laptop Recommendation - Statistical outlier
One swallow doesn't make a summer, but my father is on his third Vaio in a year.
Laptop Recommendation - Baskerville
Bought a laptop last summer from an independent retailer who sell
thousands of machines a year. Specs across the wide range
were similar making them all much of a muchness - IBM
and Toshiba were most expensive when comparing specs.

The technical specs are only part of the story with laptops. You need to look also at the case built quality, whether it has a proper chassis, quality of hinges, catches, power connection, and so on. The positioning and design of the aerial will also affect wireless performance. These things push the price up and make a big difference in use, even though on paper the machines look the same. In my experience as a general rule the IBM/Lenovo, Toshiba, and Apple notebooks seem to be the best built in these respects. HP used to be good but have recently focused on maximising the number of flashing lights, lairy speaker housings and "ooh shiny" trim at the expense of quality. In my opinion of course.
The important bit is to ensure a USB to parallel port works. Maplin might be more expensive but will probably let you try before you buy.

A docking station or port replicator might also add the missing port. My port replicator on a Fujitsu Siemens does not add much to the size and has serial and parallel ports as well as additional USB ones.
Chose Dell at random out of who you could pick (their customer service is really poor these days apparently).

If you wanted to see what a port replicator might be like:

tinyurl.com/y4gucp

Or for a fuller list for different Dells and different designs:

tinyurl.com/y2qcql

If you only ever needed the port replicator for when the laptop is on the desk you could be better of than you are now. A smaller neater laptop and when you drop it onto the port replicator you have the parallel port and could have it connected to proper keyboard and mouse and a nice big TFT. When away from home you have a lightweight laptop.

Other manufacturers will do the same type of replicator. My Fujitsu Siemens one is still small and light with the replicator attached. And you can connect/disconnect without a reboot.

If it were my laptop I'd currently go for the latest Intel Core 2 Duo. The '2' is important as these are the newer 64-bit chips whereas Core Duo/Solo are 32-bit only. You want to future proof this. And personally I'd go for one with a smaller screen for use when on the move and link to a big TFT screen at home/office.

One final thought to share, even some of the low-end new laptops are going to be faster than your old one, especially Intel Core Duo. They may run at lower GHz but don't let that make you think they will be slower.
Laptop Recommendation - VR6
I've just this morning bought one from Dell. They are offering £40 off, free delivery and double memory upgrades till the 20th I think.
I paid £500 for a AMD 64Turion X2 processor, 1 gig ram, 80gig HDD plus the other standard stuff you get. For the spec i couldn't find anything at that spec/price. Ebuyer has an acer of similar spec, but with half the memory, and a non-dual AMD Turion processor.
Thanks all,

The advice given in response to my question has been really top quality - I'm really very grateful.

I bought a pc card parallel port replicator from Maplin for £50, and tested it on the old laptop. After updating the security software, It worked OK. I found some discussion about how these devices had been shown to work with parallel port dongles, but I didn't find any real life stories saying that the usb to parallel port convertors worked well.

So, being less than bold, I have bought myself another Toshiba! According to the benchmark program in Matlab, it seems to be performing well, and it is certainly a lot cooler than the old one.

If I can find the fault on the old laptop and repair it (I suspect it needs a new motherboard), it will make an excellent browsing machine for SWMBO

Many thanks!

Number_Cruncher

Laptop Recommendation - Baskerville
Being small, old laptops make good home file servers. Ubuntu Linux+Samba gives you Windows shares on your network. It's a couple of clicks to install Apache and you have an enterprise grade web server, which is great for sharing large files with people. A couple more clicks gives you proftp (an ftp server). I have one that's been doing that (plus Netatalk for Apple's Bonjour no-configuration networking) for a couple of years now. It hates being moved (there's a bad connection in there somewhere) but is fine if left alone and only gets rebooted if the power needs to go off.
Acronis fails to create partition - SjB {P}
My new built-to-my-spec MESH Tower unit has arrived for rendering video from SWMBO's Sony DCR-SR100 HDD camcorder (boomerang ;-) birthday pressie, and authoring DVDs. Superb value for money and appears well designed and built.

Before I load any software beyond the XP Media Center Edition operating system, I want to partition the HDDs to maximise performance and aid any future recovery that proves necessary, so purchased Acronis Disk Director 10.0; from previous comment on this site amd web reviews, I reckoned it was the best tool for the job and at less than twenty quid from Amazon, cheap.

It installed easily without error, but fails to create new partitions; no error messages are given, and such messages as appear during partitioning activity (conducted in XP "Native" mode prior to full reboot) indicate that it's working, but after full reboot and login has happened there is no new logical drive to be seen.

Digging in the Acronis log file reveals that the process was "Terminated by User". It wasn't of course, but I suspect something is stopping the HDD from being partitioned. I have switched off XP's "System Restore" option via Start / Settings / Control Panel / System / System Restore and can find no evidence of any third party backup tools installed, so am at a loss.

I found the same problem described on www.wilderssecurity.com together with a comment that looks like it might be from our own Stuartli, but no hard solution. I've reported to Acronis, but guess I need to give more than 24 hours (hard to do when all you want is to configure your new toy!)

Ideas, please?

Thanks!

BTW - For others thinking of partitioning a HDD, I found this and the following three pages to be useful: partition.radified.com/partitioning_2.htm
Acronis fails to create partition - rtj70
Personally, I'd leave Windows on one harddrive (physical separate disk) and put all of my files on a second hard drive. Then if the operating system disk fails you have a separate disk.

Because I am slightly paranoid after a partition suffered file system corruption (the master file table got corrupted so no RAID solution would have helped) I now have one hard drive for Windows, another for my documents/files (it came with two 250Gb HDDs) and another one for doing video editing etc. My logic for the third hard drive is it's going to be accessed more and for longer than the others and will probably die first. Finally, I have an external USB/Firewire drive to backup all of my data to on a regular basis.

With the price of large hard disk drives now I'd want at least two. I'd also have put the fastest type drive for the system drive, like a relatively small high speed 10000 rpm one like a 150 GB Western Digital Raptor SATA 10K rpm 16MB cache Hard Drive.
Thanks, rtj70; I actually have two internal Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA drives, and in future can add two more along with two external (not USB but via SATA connections), but I still want to partition. The PC has been purchased for digital video editing and creating logical drives will give a number of benefits. In essence, the first HDD will be partitioned in to a small FAT32 partition to allow legacy DOS tools and the like to be run, a 30GB partition for the O/S to stop it getting fragmented with Windows updates all over the disk, and the remainder for documents and audio files. The latter is important as placing audio files on the same drive as video is a no-no; in my experience the head can't keep up and clipped sound results.

The second HDD will have a 30GB partition to which files are copied for editing and DVD authoring. This partition will be the first (on the edge of the disk) to keep access times fast and will be emptied and defragged after use. The remainer of this HDD will be imge and video storage.

I also have a whopping externa.l USB HDD that I use for backup (and which is then kept in another physical location along with my DVD "deep" backups)

So, as adding more HDDs is something for the future, any idea why Acronis fails to partition, please?
"Any idea why Acronis fails to partition, please?"

Unfornutately for you I have never used this product. I have used Partition Magic for repartitioning and that has worked for me.

Questions that might jog my memory for an answer:

1. What sort of partitions have been setup already? Are they of type basic disk or dynamic?
2. Can you not shrink or split them to make space for new partitions. Try shrinking first then create new ones? One step at a time makes troubleshooting easier.
3. What filesystem is on the "original" partitions ? Windows 2000/XP can do partitioning very differently and avoid the old partition limits found on DOS/Windows 9x/ME. If you've already got NTFS you probably need to start from scratch.

Some other thoughts:

1. I assume for all other partitions you are using NTFS. Better than FAT32 for many reasons but sure you know that - and I am not referring to security/encryption/etc.

2. I'd also make the 30Gb partition for video editing a little bigger.... surprising how big temp files can be. I see you have a HDD camcorder (so working with compressed MPEG files) whereas I use uncompressed (and therefore higher quality) AVI files from my Mini-DV camcorder and it is surprising how large these files are. If you ever need to work with a non-compressed files you might want a little more headroom.

3. When authoring the content of a DVD it's a good idea to output the DVD files to a different physical drive than the one where source MPEG/AVI reside. Otherwise a lot of head movement. You probably know that already.
Questions that might jog my memory for an answer:
1. What sort of partitions have been setup already? Are they
of type basic disk or dynamic?

Both HDDs came preconfigured as NTFS with XP MCE SP2 plus a small FAT32 partition of 4GB, so they were certainly created from a standard ghost image used by MESH Computers.
2. Can you not shrink or split them to make space
for new partitions. Try shrinking first then create new ones? One
step at a time makes troubleshooting easier.

No, nothing works. Splitting, shrinking, copying, imaging, you name it. Acronis "appears" to work (ie normal messages are given), until the computer reboots, then you find nothing happened and "Terminated by User" exists in the log file (after entries for all the steps that apparently succeeded fine). Yes, I understand "one thing at a time" and always work thus; with sixteen years working in software support, I'd hope so! :-) Just a shame my business is ERP application software and the Oracle RDBMS, not the inner workings of Win XP or home PC applications. (Yes, I have a strong grasp, but as this thread shows don't know close to all!)
3. What filesystem is on the "original" partitions ? Windows 2000/XP
can do partitioning very differently and avoid the old partition limits
found on DOS/Windows 9x/ME. If you've already got NTFS you probably
need to start from scratch.

See first answer above.
Some other thoughts:
1. I assume for all other partitions you are using NTFS.
Better than FAT32 for many reasons but sure you know that
- and I am not referring to security/encryption/etc.

Yes, my intention is to create NTFS partitions.
2. I'd also make the 30Gb partition for video editing a
little bigger.... surprising how big temp files can be. I see
you have a HDD camcorder (so working with compressed MPEG files)
whereas I use uncompressed (and therefore higher quality) AVI files from
my Mini-DV camcorder and it is surprising how large these files
are. If you ever need to work with a non-compressed files
you might want a little more headroom.

OK, ta. The advice I was given was 20Gb, so I added headroom and chose 30Gb! As an aside, the compressed results are perfectly fine for what's needed (surprisingly close to uncompressed from most Mini-DV camcorders I've used) and the convenience of a HDD machine is terrific. Certainly HDD is the future of camcorders, and no doubt uncompressed formats will be handled before long.
3. When authoring the content of a DVD it's a good
idea to output the DVD files to a different physical drive
than the one where source MPEG/AVI reside. Otherwise a lot of
head movement. You probably know that already.

Yes, thanks; this is primarily why the additional HDDs will be added in future. The reason I am intending to use the same drive today though is that I was informed the reason for sound "clipping" of DVDs I've authored (on another machine) to date was that audio and MPEG was on the same HDD; I therefore intended to separate them on the new PC. The advice I was given was to have MPEG source and DVD authoring on one drive and audio source on another. If you are suggesting that in fact I would be better off with audio source and DVD authoring on one drive and MPEG source on another, then I'll try this until such time as I add a third HDD.

Cheers!
You didn't answer one question, which is, are the disk partitions basic or dynamic? You can have a basic NTFS and a dynamic NTFS drive and the underlying partition type is totally different. You can extend a dynamic partition across drives, e.g. your partition used as drive D is full so you grab some free space on another drive and add it to that partition. Much closer to how disk partitioning on Unix systems work. With dynamic disks you getting away from the concept of primary and extended partitions etc.

To check, right click on my computer and select manage. Then in Computer Management click on Disk Management. You will see your drives in there and the type appears directly under the disk number. It will either be basic or dynamic. Just want to rule out the partitions not being of type dynamic for a start. Might be affecting the partition software doing anything.

-----

As for the last comment, I generally only handle uncompressed AVI files as the source and edit those (well my source is Mini-DV) and so audio/video is interleaved... ie.. AVI. If you have experience or knowledge saying keep video and audio on different drive spindles then what my suggestion of writing the DVD VOB files to another spindle means you'd be better off with three....

But I think I disagree with having to keep audio and video on separate drives to stop lip-sync problems. I can see why it makes sense to strip out the audio from the MPEGs and keep separate but when re-combining but the only advantage of separate spindles is speed and reduced head movement. The DVD Authoring software will just wait for the relevant data to be read from both drives (or a single drive) before writing any output. And there will be far more video than audio too.

What my suggestion relates to is speed really - and not thrashing the drives. Reading gigabytes of MPEG from one part of the partition and then writing somewhere several gigabytes of MPEG Video and Audio (in the VOBs) further on that same platter means lots of head movement. Maybe not far but it will be moving a lot.

Another bit of advice depending on DVD authoring software is where it writes it's temp files. Might default to the drive where software installed and you might want it on the other.
>>You didn't answer one question

Sorry; I had checked but didn't write. Both HDDs are "Basic" NTFS.

>>you'd be better off with three

Agreed, which is what I was trying to say in my reply, but I won't be doing that just yet. For info the audio problems weren't lip synch. They were a clipped "m issi n g pa ts of w rds pr blem". Once I've got the partitioning software working though, I am happy to play around with different options even if I end up reformatting and starting again.

So what partitions are on the drives now. I am assuming:

- system disk has primary NTFS partition and then a FAT one holding system recovery files. Is this assumption correct. If yes the boot partition (the NTFS one?) has to be a primary partition but the FAT one could be primary or a logical disk inside an extended partition. Which have MESH setup?
- The second disk probably has one NTFS partition and hold no data. So I'd start experimenting on that one first. Can you resize the partition on this one.

Note if you avoid the system disk for now, you should not need reboots - you wouldn't with partition magic at least.
Acronis fails to create partition - JH
rtj70
sorry I can't help but I'm watching the exchange with interest. I too have a new Mesh with MCE bought (obviously) before Vista becomes available, so that I know everything will work. I intend to use the Vista coupon and put it in a partition, for which I will need partitioning software, so you can see where I'm heading. I also want to put my music on a "D" drive because that's where it was on the old pc and I really don't want to edit all of those playlists.

That's a cracking price you got on DD. Amazon seem to be very competitive of late. I've been watching the Acronis web page to see if a Vista capable version comes out.
Good luck
John
JH

Some of the long awaited updates to filesystems on Vista (a proper searchable database to find files) was dropped quite a while ago. Apart from possibly a few tweaks the (NTFS) filesystem is unchanged so I'd hope current software will work. But don't quote me on that. I'm not upgrading to Vista anytime soon.

Rob
R
the "data soup" concept, yup, heard that. If you run the scanner there's plenty of software that doesn't run with Vista. Most Virus scanners for a start! Now what I REALLY want is 64 bit Photoshop, that should shift. But then it's Adobe so it'll still manage to spend 10 minutes loading before it starts :-(
JH
sorry I can't help but I'm watching the exchange with interest.
I too have a new Mesh with MCE bought (obviously) before
Vista becomes available, so that I know everything will work.

Sounds familiar!
I intend to use the Vista coupon and put it in a
partition, for which I will need partitioning software, so you can
see where I'm heading.

Also sounds familiar! :-)
That's a cracking price you got on DD. Amazon seem to
be very competitive of late.

I too was surprised, especially as I'd been sooooooooooooooo close to paying twice as much for a download version from the Acronis website.
So what partitions are on the drives now. I am assuming:

Refer previous post: Both HDDs came preconfigured as (Basic) NTFS with XP MCE SP2 plus a small FAT32 partition of 4GB, so they were certainly created from a standard ghost image used by MESH Computers.

The FAT32 partition on each HDD is logical and has no drive letter. It is only via Acronis that I "see" them. Again via Acronis I spotted that both contain a boot.ini file.

Acronis fails to work (at all) on both HDDs, since both HDDs are infact installed "identically" (bar which one gets chosen to run the o/s at startup). Of course I can wipe anything I like from the D drive since it's the copy of the operating system on C that I am actually using. If Acronis don't reply by Monday (today is approaching 48 hours and counting) this is what I'll do.
S
if you think the second drive is causing a problem you could disconnect it temporarily, see if Acronis then works, though it would seem unlikely. If the second drive is a ghost, identical to the first then reformatting it is the sensible thing to do.

Have you shot Bullguard or whatever it's called yet?

JH
Yup, disconnecting makes no difference and as written above, if Acronis support comes to nowt I will reformat it.
Have you shot Bullguard or whatever it's called yet?

Yup, in the head, on first time power up. :-)
I am assuming the FAT partitions more than likely contain files to assist with a rebuilt - you reboot off the recovery CD and the first partition rebuilt. What I do not understand is why the second drive the same as drive 1 - they only needed to format it unless they want two copies of recovery files.

Can you mount the FAT32 partition in XP by assigning a drive letter? At least you'd see the contents.

I'm wondering if the FAT32 partitions is part of the problem. Bear with me.

The old way of partitioning drives allowed up to 3 primary (which are bootable) and one extended partition. Inside an extended partition you can create many (not sure if there was a max) logical drive partitions. The extended partition was always the last partition so if you have one primary one one extended you might not now be able to create another primary partition in between the NTFS primary and FAT32 based extended one.

So if the FAT32 partition is in an extended partition here is what I would do on drive 2 to experiment for drive 1.

1. Delete the FAT32 logical partition
2. Delete the extended partition
3. Resize the primary partition on disk 2

If success then you've proved it is the FAT32 partition. Then I'd backup the extended partition on drive 1, sort out the disk then restore it.

If no success I'd actually speak to MESH for advice too. You could always skype me ... might get to the bottom of this quicker. I know it's Friday though but I have 30 minutes I could spare.
Just had a thought before you rush and zap your Windows MCE XP2 installation.... you do have all the install media and keys...

If this was me I'd probably zap it and install it like I want it anyway. But work out why I cannot partition first because it annoyed me.

And after you rebuild it with your applications installed as you want it... ghost your PC. That way you never go back to the state it was delivered. And periodically re-ghost.
Just reread this "In essence, the first HDD will be partitioned in to a small FAT32 partition to allow legacy DOS tools and the like to be run"

So you probably want/have to reformat anyway. Your boot partition is currently NTFS but you need a small primary FAT32 partition for DOS applications. So the active primary partition is going to be a FAT32 one. This will boot MCE XP2.

Options:

- Reformat (might be my preference on a PC I did not install but only if you have install media)
- Convert current main NTFS partition to FAT32 but it has Windows XP on it... would not recommend and then both O/S on same disk partition
- Make a new primary partition (disk repartitioning allowing) and mark this as active, install DOS on that and then the tricky bit... you need to install an Windows XP boot loader in the boot sector on the new active FAT32 partition (easy for me to say but not too difficult), and create a new boot.ini file to point at the original NTFS partition. When you now boot off the new primary partition you get option of DOS and Windows MCE XP2.
- Use VMWARE for the DOS bit... easier and more flexible.
Thanks for all your help, Rob. I just got back home and will be shot if I start tinkering with the PC now, so I'll revisit your advice tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Just sneaked back down to the office.
Shhhh.
Gotta be quick.

Rebooting, whether as part of Acronis activity or just a normal reboot gives one error in the Event log:

"The machine wide Default Launch and Activation security descriptor is
invalid. It contains Access Control Entries with permissions that are
invalid. The requested action was therefore not performed. This security
permission can be corrected using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
*"

I haven't dug further yet; I've been rumbled!
Gotta go back for baby winding duties.

More in the morrow.

Goodnight!
By chance, I found a link on the web to a downloade .exe from Acronis that scans the disk(s) and produces a report that makes sense when e-mailed to their technical department. When viewed in Notepad some of it made sense to me too, but most of it was written in an encoded manner so I don't know the full extent of what it found. With the report now added to the support case I had created, following is the reply just received from Acronis:

"Due to some interference, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is unable to implement necessary operations in Windows native mode. (SjB - The PC shuts down, restarts in native mode to try and make the changes, shuts down, then reboots in normal mode) We recommend you to use the following workaround:

1. Create Acronis Bootable Media with Standalone version of Acronis Disk Director Suite (both safe and full) using Acronis Bootable Media Builder
2. Boot the computer with this media and implement all necessary operations. (Standalone version has practically the same interface as Windows' one)

Additional information on creating bootable media can be found in the Chapter 10 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 complete User Guide
"

So, this is what I will now do.

Stay tuned...
"Due to some interference, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is unable
to implement necessary operations in Windows native mode. (SjB - The
PC shuts down, restarts in native mode to try and make
the changes, shuts down, then reboots in normal mode) We recommend
you to use the following workaround:
1. Create Acronis Bootable Media with Standalone version of Acronis Disk
Director Suite (both safe and full) using Acronis Bootable Media Builder
2. Boot the computer with this media and implement all necessary
operations. (Standalone version has practically the same interface as Windows' one)
Additional information on creating bootable media can be found in the
Chapter 10 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 complete User Guide"
So, this is what I will now do.
Stay tuned...

In short, IT WORKED!

I am somewhat puzzled because the CD-ROM that Acronis was delivered on is cleared marked "Bootable Disc", but the PC didn't boot from it when tried (this was one of the things I tried to do along the way). None the less, having created my own bootable disc as instructed by Acronis Helpdesk, the PC did successfully boot from it. Having done so, 99% the same interface was presented as the "installed" version, and the whole operation, including partitioning, was done in a couple of minutes (literally). Done this way I was not given the option to assign a drive letter (I was in the "installed" version) and the default file system was FAT32 (I simply had to switch a combo choice to NTFS). On full reboot however I saw that the driver letter "G" had been assigned, and I can now change this (with Acronis) if I wish.

One other comment; to save desk space I use a Sitecom KVM switch to share flatpanel VDU, keyboard, and mouse between the new MESH tower unit and my IBM T42 laptop. The screen worked during Acronis boot, but the USB mouse and keyboard did not. I had to power down, cross my fingers, plug in wired keyboard and mouse, reboot normally, detect new devices, shut down, and reboot with the Acronis bootable CD I'd made. Thankfully, it worked.

The final thing to write is to say thanks for all your time and ideas Rob.
Much appreciated, even though resolution was via another means.
To add a footnote; having learned the reason for my problem, run as a bootable CD Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is a stonking toolkit. It has just blitzed all the things I wanted to do, from repartitioning, to splitting a partition in to old plus new with new carrying chosen files from the old [in my case moving all program files from an XP sub directory to a new (adjacent) logical drive of their own, leaving XP in the original logical drive all on its own], to disk reformatting (my second HDD), and more.

I can see why Stuartli likes it, and having gone through my learning curve, I do to.
Recommended.

S
thanks for the update, I shall follow in your footsteps.

Just a thought, I wonder if the second disk was delivered identical to the first to make it easier for Mesh when a customer ticks the RAID 0 box? It's the only reason I can think of to not deliver a disk fill of zeroes.

JH
S
thanks for the update, I shall follow in your footsteps.

Good luck, though I think you'll be fine; the option to create a boot disk version of Acronis is a doddle. Having installed Acronis Disk Director (easy, with a normal instal shield type of approach), follow the clear instructions on the built in help file, also available at www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/.

Everything worked fine for me. One bit of advice; you will be given the choice to create a "full" boot disk of to just choose the custom options you want. Do the former, given that a CD has far, far, more storage capactity than you will need, and in so doing you will reduce the chance of Acronis not being able to handle your particular hardware setup.
Just a thought, I wonder if the second disk was delivered
identical to the first to make it easier for Mesh when
a customer ticks the RAID 0 box? It's the only reason
I can think of to not deliver a disk fill of
zeroes.

I had a similar thought! EIther that, or every HDD automatically gets ghost written.
Windows Zero Configuration Wireless - SjB {P}
Second question related to new MESH tower unit running XP MCE SP2, please:

My Belkin USB wireless device fails to find my home network despite correct setup. The same applies even if I disable all security options. If, however, I switch configuration to using Windows Zero Configuration Wireless, the Belkin device performs faultlessly and connects to my home network even with all security options enabled.

My problem is that although the Windows Zero Configuration Wireless service is set to "Automatic" as seen by Start / Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services, I have to manually start it every time I reboot. As soon as I do this, "bingo", wireless works. I've created a shortcut to the Service page to make life easier, but the need to do this isn't right; the same WZC service, set up the same way, starts automatically every time I reboot my XP Pro SP2 laptop for example. My guess is that something is countermanding the service.

Ideas, please?

Thank you.
Windows Zero Configuration Wireless - rtj70
Have you checked the event log to see if it sheds some light on why the service fails to start automatically? My desktop PC with inbuilt USB wireless and step-son's PC with external USB wireless work fine. My PC is plugged in directly via Ethernet so I disable it's wireless connection.

My work laptop also works fine with wireless - I use Windows to manage all wireless networking.
Windows Zero Configuration Wireless - fossyant
You need to set this service to run on boot - seems that some settings have been left off

Control Panel (normal view)

Administrative Tools

Services

Scroll through to Windows Zero Config Services

Change this to Automatic right mouse click on it (Zero Config) and select properties then Startup Type = Automatic

Mine is set as manual - e.g. off !!! but I don't have wireless and I switch off by default !
>>Change this to Automatic right mouse click on it (Zero Config) and select properties then Startup Type = Automatic

Mine is set to "Automatic" but does not start on boot up; I have to manually start the service, hence me wondering if something in the Belkin drivers (or Realtek drivers that came preloaded) is overriding
You should be able to switch to Windows controlling it all. My step-son's PC (my old one) now as a Linksys USB wireless device. If I leave the Linksys s/w to handle Wireless it take until he logs in to have a network connection. I switched to Windows XP SP2 doing Wireless and all works better.

Off the top of my head I cannot recall all the steps I changed but can think/check.

Rob

P.S. Apologies who fear the techie.... my job isn't even that techie for a long time but did write my first program on a ZX-80 in around 1981 (and discovered a bit of aluminium kit-kat wrapper on the expansion port reset it nicely!) , and could read/write Zilog Z80 and MOS 6502 machine code in decimal/hex as a teenager ... sad aren't I. My Spectrum days had me writing machine code in assembly, convert to machine code and write to memory with a for-next loop and data statement.... Re-wrote some "games" to cheat back then. Keeping motoring and was my point.... wish I could work out what today's cars are doing - I am technical enough. Even built my own processor at University etc.
You should be able to switch to Windows controlling it all.

With respect, I can, and it works. Perfectly.

The pain in the butt is that although the Wireless Zero Configuration Service is set to "Automatic" I have to manually start it on every reboot. If I do this, wireless is fine, but to me (as borne out by my laptop) "Automatic" should mean "Automatic"; I shouldn't have to manually start the service on every reboot.

1) Open Services window
2) Scroll to WZCS
3) Observe "Automatic" is chosen but the service is stopped
4) Manually start
5) Bing! Observes wireless access occurs
6) Reboot
7) Observe no wireless access
8) Observe too that "View available wireless networks" shows "Unable to show networks as WZCS is not being used" despite the fact that I enabled it and it is set to Automatic
9) Repeat steps 1-4
10) Observe wireless access works again
11) Reboot
12) Repeat problem ad nausem

I therefore think that something in the Realtek driver suite that came preloaded from MESH or in the Belkin drivers that I added (coz I have a Belkin USB wireless antenna) is overriding the "Automatic" setting for WZCS.

It is thus finding out how to solve this problem that is my question.

Thanks!
This could be because the service is trying to start before the wireless device driver has started and therefore fails? Kind of a guess. If it fails to start there ought to be an error in the eventlog, probably under system.

If it is a timing issue, two suggestions:

1. Uninstall and then re-install the latest Belkin driver, or
2. Make the WZCS service dependent on something that starts later, or maybe the easy way
3. Set WZCS to manual start and have something under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionRun that starts the service - downside there will be a delay waiting for networking. You can use the command: net start "Wireless Zero Configuration"

Finally, if it ends up being a bit of a fudge, Hibernate instead of shutting down Windows?
Thanks, Rob. Last night I tried the "deinstall" and "reinstall" trick, to no avail, but I have noticed something that has changed since my partioning work; originally, XP login was super fast (I mean "Bang, done, and ready to use"), but the network icons wouldn't appear in the toolbar until a minute or more later.

Now, since repartitioning, XP login is still "Bang, done, and ready to use", but the network icons appear in the toolbar at the same time. No delay.

Will do some more playing including to try your ideas if the problem remains. I am unlikely however to do this before Thursday as I leave the house at 04:00am tomorrow to travel to Sweden where I will be working until Wednesday night.

Stay tuned and thanks again.
I should have added above; invoking Start / Settings / Network Connections before the network icons had appeared in the toolbar also resulted in a wait of a minute or more before the window opened. Now, the window opens instantaneously.
Seems I am not alone in WZC not starting automatically despite being set so in Services (scroll down the thread): paininthetech.com/disable_wireless_zero_configurat...p

Currently in Sweden as written previously, but some ideas to troubleshoot why WZC doesn't automatically start for when I return home: www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1568517,00.asp

If this fails (as a last resort, under sufferance, as I hate fudges), here's how to write a shortcut to more easily start WZC than opening the Services window: www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1568517,00.asp

More to follow after my return home on Thursday.
Excel database help - billy25
Hi Folks,
I need a bit of help with an excel based database i set up a couple of years ago, to keep track of our club members details etc.
This "database" now holds nearly 100 names, most of whom have different membership renewal dates.
I try to send out reminders approx 1month before to members whose subs are looming, so this means trawling through the database every week to look for them.
Is there a formula that i could use on the "membership date" that would turn the font colour to red when it reached the 11th month?
Thanks in anticipation,
Billy
Excel database help - Baskerville
I'd be inclined to ditch the spreadsheet and use an address book application with the renewal date set to trigger a reminder just as it does with birthdays. That way the same application can also print you an address label or launch your email client.

Spreadsheets are not really very good at this kind of thing.
Excel database help - JH
b
I'm no Excel expert but why not just sort on renewal date?

If you're determined to go with the formatting solution you could (and there may be a more elegant way);

on the renewal date cell;
Format
conditional formatting
change condition 1 to "Formula is"
Set a formula : =a1-today()<30 and then set the formatting as you want, where a1 is the renewal date cell and 30 is the number of days ahead you want to look.

JH

Excel database help - fossyant
Stick with excel - use a formula like above to highlight renewals due. It's live if you use a Date/today formula

You have a small database (100 or so) so excel is all you really need, just don't use a database like Access unless you are really IT literate.

I'd use the formula above but with a couple of additional IF statements in so you can put a "y" in a field if someone has paid, so it will always remind you if someone is overdue.

I'd highly recommend a book on excel - costs about £30 for a good one - like the ones Microsoft do, but it's well worth the investment - I speak from knowledge of even a very advanced user of excel - I prefer a book to on screen help !

You do need to learn on your own, and a book is a great place to start, but pointers like using the Date formula string and an IF statement to look at a 'paid' field then excel is all you will need.

Excel is fantastically powerful in the right hands and can out move system developers - I know our guy's at work can't touch what I can use excel for and use data like I do - but I'm a sorry accountant with some computer knowledge !
Excel database help - billy25
Thanks for the advice chaps,
I will try and implement the above formula when i have time to "play",
I must admit i like excel mainly for its ease of use, i did start out using Access, but just couldn't get to grips with it, so ditched it, Excel is managing to track everything i need it to, and is ideal for a small amount of info such as i keep. I just needed a bit of a prod with the date tracking sum, thanks again for your help.

seasons greetings to everyone in the backroom,
billy
Excel database help - local yokel
You could just sort the membership entries by date, and then manually scroll down to the current date, and then look forward four weeks. Select all those who fall into the band, and copy those to a temp sheet to do the letters.

If it was my train-set I'd set about getting them all onto one common renewal date!
Excel database help - local yokel
And at the same time I'd find a freeware membership app on the web, there's loads.
Vonage IP phone - smokie
At home I successfully use a Vonage phone which connects directly to my Ethernet switch. I am wondering if daughter can use thsi at uni to reduce mobile bills.

In her halls she has an Ethernet port. When she first started she had to tell IT her MAC address, but she since moved flat and plugged in and worked right away.

The Vonage requires an ethernet port of it;'s own so I was thinking I'd stick a cheap switch in, which would give her an internal network to plug in her laptop and the Vomage. However the LAN side of the connection would need it's own interface & MAC address to present to the uni network, and a switch doesn't do this. How can I achieve this? I was thinking network bridge, but I'm not so sure...

(I'm aware that uni may also block the ports required so would test first...)
Vonage IP phone - adverse camber
you could use a basic router.

sometimes called ethernet routers, and I have seen them called cable add-on routers. the wan port is a standard rj45 10/100 network port. Many will spoof mac addresses so she could tell it to pretend to be her pc.
Vonage IP phone - rtj70
Depending on hour university does IP address allocation and whether you're allowed a switch off the single Ethernet port then a router definately ought to work fine. A wireless router from the likes of Linksys, D-Link, Belkin etc. can be had for about £40 and provide wireless access as well. And agree if you went this route you could get it to spoof MAC address and the college will never know.

Also it adds a NAT firewall between her PC and the rest of the network (and therefore Internet) which is a good idea too.
Vonage IP phone - smokie
Well a router was my initial thought. But being only familiar with DSL and cable routers (which have a separate IP address for each side of the network, as there is a dedicated WAN port), and industrial strength routers and switches, I'm not sure how a regular router would present a different IP address to the WAN, and handle NAT. Or could I use either a cable or ADSL router and plug the WAN side into the uni network, even though it is a regular ethernet port? (I have a spare ADSL router but I thought the ADSL port was a non-ethernet connection...

A bog standard router should give you the choice of having one or two ip addresses. One if you are not using nat, two if you are. If your (adsl) isp gives more than one IP address you would typically set the router up to one of the addresses and use the others for the other machines on your local network.

You cant use an adsl router, the wan port isnt ethernet. Some of the things sold as cable routers are actually just routers and you need a cable modem as well. I know my brother had that set up on ntl years ago, the ntl modem box had a network port on the back which went into the router. But I would want to be sure before buying. All you need is for the wan port to be ethernet, and to confirm that it will spoof mac addresses if needed

I think that
www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredR...s

would be an example of a suitable product - plenty of others I'm sure.

Or if work happened to loose a cisco 101?

actually it seems that the terminology used in the online shops is 'broadband router'
www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?Produ...1

Now if I had an edit button I could correct the spelling and that link

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?Sho...2

I saw PG editing her posts earlier....
Vonage IP phone - JH
yeah but she has super powers. She can fly too AND see through walls.
JH
Vonage IP phone - Another John H
yeah but she has super powers. She can fly too AND
see through walls.
JH

She must have learned how to do that since her experience on the roundabout with the HGV... ;-)

Cue the big scissors.
Vonage IP phone - smokie
Thanks Mr Camber, the RP614 looks just the ticket, and is reasonably priced at about £30. First I will scroiunge around my buddies and see if anyone has something similar to "loan", so I can test without investment! Failing that, I will get one before next term and we'll see what happens.

The MAC address spoofing would be handy... :-)
Vonage IP phone - rtj70
A "cable router" is what you need. A "cable router" has a Ethernet WAN port which would get assigned the IP address from the college network. The PC/laptop would pick up it's IP address from the router via DHCP. So you'd plug the router into the Ethernet socket on the wall, configure it to spoof the MAC address of her PC, refresh the IP settings and it should be working. Plug her PC into the router and she'll pick up a local IP address that will be NAT'd.

For those wondering what the difference between a cable and ADSL router is, the cable router has an Ethernet WAN port to connect to the cable modem (but all that is doing getting an an IP address etc. from the cable modem just as you'll get from the college network) whereas the ADSL router has an inbuilt ADSL modem to connect to the phone line.

You do not want a "proper" router because you don't need the sophistication or throughput of that class of router. Or the hastle of setting up routes, NAT and maintaining it. And you'd need a switch and a router too whereas a cable router normally has about 4 four 10/100 Ethernet ports on it's internal switch.

If you don't need wireless (and most routers have this now) then disable it. But if she has a laptop with wireless but be handy for her but make sure you lock it down.

Rob
Vonage IP phone - rtj70
Another thought, before you do anything like buying a router check that the Vonage IP phone service works from college. It probably does but you never know the college may have blocked certain network protocols.

Also I think Vonage have some router offers... It looks like you can get a Motorola router with vonage phone ports and PC ports with an instant rebate making the cost £9.99. Not sure if it will spoof a MAC address but might be worth checking out the spec.

www.vonage.co.uk/device.php?type=VT2442
Vonage IP phone - rtj70
The cheapest option it seems is Vonage Softphone. Use the PC for the phone and the monthly rental is lower too.

www.vonage.co.uk/features.php?feature=softphone

Or use skype for nought.
Vonage IP phone - Baskerville
I'd enquire anonymously whether this is permitted and what the consequences might be. She doesn't want her network access removed, or to be charged extra for it, and they will do that if she breaks the rules and gets caught. University networks are a malware nightmare. I suspect if you give them the MAC address of the router all will be well--understandably they don't like unknown devices turning up--but a few discrete enquiries might be advisable.

www.liv.ac.uk/csd/regulations/codes/codenetwork.htm
Vonage IP phone - Dipstick
"I'd enquire anonymously whether this is permitted and what the consequences might be. "

Agreed. You spoof on my network here at this University and you'll be doing your thesis at the internet cafe in town, end of story.

How would you tell that a mac address was spoofed?

I can think of several systems where you can reset the mac address of the card anyway.
CPU usage history time scale - L'escargot
I don't like looking at a chart/graph without knowing the scales, so .................... what is the time scale of the CPU usage history? (Windows Task Manager > Performance). I have XP Home Edition.
--
L\'escargot.
CPU usage history time scale - smokie
It's a real-time display of cpu usage, it starts when you first open the tab and updates while you watch. If you go to another tab the performance graph continues to update in real time until Task Manager is closed. So, at a guess, a screenful is about two minutes, with the most recent activity on the right-most side.
It's a real-time display of cpu usage, it starts when you
first open the tab and updates while you watch.

In that case one square = 6 seconds ~ I timed it. That's an odd scale in this day and age of obsession with all things metric!
--
L\'escargot.
CPU usage history time scale - smokie
6 seconds = 1/10 of a minute, seems more metric that way doesn't it...? :-)
6 seconds = 1/10 of a minute, seems more metric that
way doesn't it...? :-)

Only if you can't see further than the end of your nose! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Only if you can't see further than the end of your
nose! ;-)

No offence smokie, I didn't mean you personally.
--
L\'escargot.
Motherboard replacement - BazzaBear {P}
My nephew has made the terrible error of asking me to fix his computer, as it has stopped working altogether. The symptoms are identical to what happened to my own a few months back, and that turned out to be the motherboard, and I think it's likely that the same has happened to his.

When switched on, it sends no signal to the monitor, there's no sign of the hard-drive starting up, and there are no BIOS beeps whatsoever, so I reckon it's either the mobo, or the processor, and am working on the assumption that it's the former.

Anyway this needs fixing as very cheaply as possible, so despite it being a bit outdated it'd be good if we could replace the motherboard as close to like-for-like as possible so nothing else has to be changed, but of course the actual model is not made any more.

It's a Gigabyte GA-8IPE775-G, socket 775, chipset 865PE. Does anyone know how far I can deviate from this and it still work with current components?

For example, this:
www.europc.co.uk/pages/Produc...7&refId=kelkoo
Is chipset 865G, is that basically the same, or not compatible?

(Alternatively, if anyone can find me a supplier of the actual mobo, that'd be fantastic.)
Motherboard replacement - Stuartli
See:

www.ctidirect.co.uk/infopage1.php?pid=3132

Are you sure it's not the PSU?

Info and Bios etc downloads at:

tinyurl.com/wqv38

You may have to check which revision applies to the board at:

tinyurl.com/y3zvb4

The first link is for the 1.2 - there are earlier revisions.
What's for you won't pass you by

{All 3 of Stuartli's replies merged into one}
MS Internet Explorer 7 - Dynamic Dave
Decided to bite the bullet after umpteen prompts to upgrade. All works ok, but I cannot stand the new layout of the toolbars / menus. So used to blindly moving the mouse to the relevant option button, (such as Back, Refresh and the like) but now everything has been moved I cannot stand it.

Is there anyway that I can change the styling back to how my IE6 looked? ie, I want the 'File - Edit - View' ect menus back at the top of the page, and the url address bar below it as before. Also how the hell do I get rid of the 'new tab' bars?

Failing being able to adjust it to my own liking, I will revert back to using IE6 again.

Please; NO suggestions of switching to another web browser, such as Opera, Firefox, etc. Overall I am happy with what Bill Gates offers, but I would really like the retro style of how my IE6 used to look.

Many thanks.
MS Internet Explorer 7 - malteser
Maxthon or Avant browsers work using the IE engine and can be made to look pretty similar to IE6.
Both have tabbed browsing.

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
MS Internet Explorer 7 - Stuartli
Might be worth reading this blog:

www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/weblog/6
MS Internet Explorer 7 - L'escargot
Decided to bite the bullet after umpteen prompts to upgrade. All
works ok, but I cannot stand the new layout of the
toolbars / menus.

Failing being able to adjust it to my own liking, I
will revert back to using IE6 again.

My question is ........... can one use IE6 forever, or will this cause problems?
--
L\'escargot.
MS Internet Explorer 7 - Dalglish
Please; NO suggestions of switching to another web browser,

ok, i won't.
although i use ie6, ie7 and firefox on different machines. and find it very easy to switch between the three.
if you persist with ie7for a week or so, you will soon get to know the new layout.

here are some reviews
editor's review :
reviews.cnet.com/Internet_Explorer_7/4505-3514_7-3...l
178 (at time of posting) readers reviews :
reviews.cnet.com/Internet_Explorer_7/4852-3514_7-3...t

.... Longtime IE 6 users will react differently to the redesigned toolbar--some will like it, most will not. For a look inside, see our Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP SP2 slide show. Microsoft claims users wanted the buttons and bars rearranged; in doing so, Microsoft deviates from the other popular Internet browsers on the market today. The back and forward buttons haven't moved; they're now compressed into the upper-left corner, and their individual drop-down menus have merged into one drop-down list. The address bar is now at the very top of the browser so that malicious spyware toolbars can't obscure or hijack it. Unfortunately, Microsoft has chosen the address bar to also display antiphishing and site certificate information, making it sometimes a very busy place. Perhaps the worst new placement is the refresh button, which is now located immediately after the address bar. Even after using the beta for a few months, we still find it hard to remember where the refresh button is located.
...That said, everyone should upgrade to IE 7 when offered the chance, even if you never intend to use it. Because Internet Explorer is so tightly bound within Windows XP SP2 ...

p.s. note new versions mozilla products ( firefox 2.0.0.1, 1.5.0.9, and thunderbird 1.5.0.9 ) issued yesterday:
www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabil...x
www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabil...9

MS Internet Explorer 7 - mfarrow
What Microsoft have done is taken a step backward in terms of logic and usability. No, I don't want the menu bar in a completely different place to any other program I've seen since Windows 3.1. Yes, I do want the address bar right above where I am clicking away at web pages so I can quickly type a new URL; so no, I don't need all those buttons I never use in the way of the address bar.

You can get rid of 'tabbing' (thank goodness) from Tools - Internet Options - Tab 'Settings' - Enable Tabbed Browsing. The rest I'm afraid we'll have to live with :-(

--------------
Mike Farrow
MS Internet Explorer 7 - smokie
What a load of Luddites.. :-)

I've been using IE7 since it was Beta. I have was a Firefox user but it was giving me problems (and continues to - loading images, despite de-install reloading etc).

I use very little of the new funcitonality but tabbed browsing has to be the most significant and useful advance yet in browser history. Other less obvious features are also good (pop blocker etc) - and are no doubt at least equally as good in other browsers.

Can't imagine life without tabbed browsing... LOL
MS Internet Explorer 7 - cheddar
You can always uninstall IE7 and default back to IE6, I understand that Microsoft Update / Windows Update will still provide security updates for IE6.
MS Internet Explorer 7 - Dynamic Dave
Thanks all. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the new layout.
I will persevere with it for a couple of days, and if I still can't stomach it, I'll be reverting back to IE6.