Computer Related Questions - Volume 111 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 112 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 111. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Blue Screen of Death - Again - Armitage Shanks {p}
Good morning

I am having occasional problems with the BSOD, usually just as I get to the end of writing a 2 page e mail!

1. An error message relating to my USB hub - a 1 into 4 device for increasing my ports.

2. An error message relating to my BT Voyager 105 modem. Now unobtainable, could I buy another ADSL modem as a kit with drivers on a CD as a straight replacement! Known issues with this modem discussed on Blogs etc

3. On one particular site (www.Viamichelin.com) attempting to print a page or route results in BSOD at the instant that I select "Print"

All this is just annoying, not fatal. Please may I have any advice on these issues?

Windows XP Home, AOL 9, IE7, Canon i560 Printer, Voyager 105 modem. Merry Xmas to all, in and out of the Backroom
Blue Screen of Death - Again - Stuartli
could I buy another ADSL modem as a kit>>

I have a wired two-port ADSL modem router from e-Buyer (rebadged Safecom model) that cost £23 including delivery. It's been down to £14.99 plus delivery in recent weeks, but there is a five-port version for £17 plus delivery. It will handle up to ADSLMax2 , has been very stable and reliable and is excellent value for money. See:

See: www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90976/rb/23883239731

PS

Should have made it clear that the two port version appears to not be available yet again...:-(

PSS

It also has a USB connection facility.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by

{Last 3 of Stuartli's replies combined into one post - DD}
Blue Screen of Death - Again - Chips with everything
I've got a spare BT voyager 105 modem + AOL 9.0 CD if that helps.

You can have it for the post of the postage if you like, just let me know if you're interested.

Before you do anything though, it may be advisable to take the hub out of the equation as there may be voltage issues with so many devies on the same USB port.

HTH,

CWE.
Blue Screen of Death - Again - Vin {P}
There were rumours some years ago that there was a hack you could do to change the colour of the Blue Screen of Death. Would that help?

V
Very kind CWE - thank you. Does the modem have a CD with the drivers on it, dare I ask? I'd be happy to pay postage + something to a charity of your choice. Please check my profile for an e mail address. Thanks!
BT drivers at:

www.btopenworld.com/broadband/adhoc_pages/driver_h...s

This might be useful as well:

www.fasthosts.co.uk/knowledge-base/?article_id=622

This paragraph just might have some relevance to your problem, although I;m sure you would have done it correctly:

"You MUST install the software drivers BEFORE connecting the modem to your PC. If you plug the modem into your PC before inserting the CD, Windows is likely to auto-detect the modem and install its own (incorrect) version of the drivers."

{Last 3 of Stuartli's replies combined into one post (again) - DD}
Thank you stuartli - the link you kindly posted doesn't have any drivers for the 105 which is now obsolete. With 4 USB ports on my computer I have put the high load stuff into individual ports (scanner ,Printer etc), and the low load ones into the hub (Modem and external hard drive GPS update) and I will see if this calms things down over the holiday I did install things the correct way but thank you for the thought that I might not have!
The 105 drivers can be found at:

info.aol.co.uk/help/broadband/dsl_drivers_install....l

Click on Download Now for the drivers. They just might be more up to date.
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Blue Screen of Death - Again - Chips with everything
The drivers are on the CD - it's an install disk and as you have AOL 9.0 already should be worth a go.

It's all in full working order, but no longer required as I now need an ethernet modem/router for work, it's now redundant. I'm just happy that it can be used.

Cheers,
CWE
Blue Screen of Death - Again - adverse camber
usb adsl modems are the spawn of satan !

Well maybe that's a (slight) exaggeration.

Get a router with a network connection to your PC. There are sooo many issues with modem drivers, plus you get better security.

The problem with windows is that a single iffy driver of bit of software can bring the whole thing crashing down (/end of windoze rant) so moving some functionality out of the windows stack has to be a good thing. esp since so many probs are caused by usb devices.

Have you tried googling for the error numbers?
IE7 - Hamsafar
To those who complain about no menubar in IE7, you can turn it back on in the View Menu - something like Show Toolbar IIRC. I still agree it's terrible as is Windows and Microsoft stuff in general. Like it or lump it.
Firefox - better than IE ? - No FM2R
www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?newsid=7...8
Firefox - better than IE ? - Pugugly {P}
thanks mark for the signposting on that
Firefox - better than IE ? - Stuartli
At this rate, Firefox will be catching up with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in around four or five years' time...:-)

There have been several updates for IE7 since its official recent launch (IE7 is already giving many people a lot of headaches), whilst Microsoft also sets aside every second Tuesday in each month for all the new IE/OE and other Microsoft products' security updates, critical updates etc.
Firefox - better than IE ? - Dalglish
... There have been several updates for IE7 since its official recent launch

several ? such as ?? i would like to know since i am using ie7 on more than one pc.
( or is it a just a case fo "do you protest too much" ? )

Firefox - better than IE ? - Baskerville
>> ... There have been several updates for IE7 since its
official recent launch
several ? such as ?? i would like to
know since i am using ie7 on more than one pc.
( or is it a just a case fo "do
you protest too much" ? )

Um, three actually, that we know of, none of them patched:

secunia.com/product/12366/
Um, three actually, that we know of, none of them patched

eh? "several updates" , " three actually" , "none of them patched" . ?
several updates? none of them patched ?

sorry but my enlgish is very poor. (as you can see, i don't know how to use capital letters.)

>> Um, three actually, that we know of, none of them
patched
eh? "several updates" , " three actually" , "none
of them patched" . ?
several updates? none of them patched ?
sorry but my enlgish is very poor. (as you can
see, i don't know how to use capital letters.)

Now you've really got me. I missed out the word "vulnerabilities". Replying to Stuartli, which wasn't clear. Bad Baskerville, bad. Must drink fewer cocktails.
.. I missed out the word "vulnerabilities". ..

in case it is not clear to anyone, there have been no "updates for IE7 since its official recent launch ".

the "vulnerabilities" advised by secunia are rated by secunia as moderate or low, and their advised solution are:
"Solution: Do not follow links from untrusted sources.
Solution: Disable active scripting support.
Solution: Do not browse untrusted sites while browsing trusted sites."

See

support.microsoft.com/kb/928089

for one....
Stuart, you're too easy.

I wrote the title wondering how long it would take you to come rushing in and explain how MS products were worse. To be fair you were slightly slower than I thought you'd be.

Firefox - better than IE ? - Altea Ego
Hmmm. I am getting old, remind me, where do i keep seeing posts saying a new
version of firefox is for downloading, and complaints about pages not loading?

I am sure its round here somewhere.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Right next to the ones about the blue screen of death and trouble with drivers.
8< SNIP

This and a few other comments / replies removed - DD
>>This and a few other comments / replies removed - DD

Oh come one, what was wrong with what either Baskerville ["Troll"] said or that I said ["Hound"] such that it needing deleting ?

You need to lighten up somewhat. Given the discussion about the opressive nature of the Backroom and your ponderings as to what you might do about it, may I suggest that giving the "spirirt crushing" a miss might well help.

You're crushing any liveliness out of the Backroom and insisting that everybody adopt the same shade of grey.
You're crushing any liveliness out of the Backroom and insisting that
everybody adopt the same shade of grey.

Quite. I think it will be a metallic grey called something like "Moonshine Grey" and will come as a cost extra.
Oh come one, what was wrong with what either Baskerville ["Troll"] said or that I said ["Hound"] such that it
needing deleting ?

what was wrong? - i suspect it was stuartli's note saying he found it offensive when a further derogatory term (reference to a "mongrel") was used.
i also suspect stuartli may have thought the banter was in reference to him rather than between fm2r and basker.

Firefox - better than IE ? - Dynamic Dave
The comments were removed as they were escalating towards insulting one another, and others were jumping on the bandwagon.

And now back to computer related discussion.

{EDIT - 20:44 Thu 21st.

I was questioned earlier as to why I had removed some comments. (quote:- And may I point out that what someone else writes (or escalates to) it not really a great explanation of the need to delete what I wrote.)

To elaborate, right at the start of this thread it states - "Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread" & "Any of the above will be deleted."

The comments made were not within the spirit of the thread which is why they were deleted.

Besides this, the earlier 'insults' (whether tongue in cheek or otherwise) have now been discussed and resolved in an adult like manner, and apologies made where necessary. As 99% of the people concerned have seen that discussion, I have taken the liberty of also removing as it is no longer relevant to this thread.

DD.}
>>To be fair you were slightly slower than I thought you'd be.>>

Actually the other half and I are just back from a very pleasant Christmas dinner with around a dozen close friends - glad you haven't forgotten about me in the meantime...:-)

I've never actually stated that MS products were worse, only personally believe that Firefox and Thunderbird offer far, far fewer problems overall during the course of any day, week, month or year......
Slow surfing - Pete Mansell
I have a 2Mb broadband connection, on which long downloads usually run at around 1.5 - 2 Mb. However I find web pages tend to load very slowly. I have quite an old system - AMD K6 -500, with 192M ram, and running Windows 98SE.

Can anyone tell me if the hardware is likely to be the problem or whether the operating system is likely to be the limiting factor. I have recently fitted a fast graphics card I was given (GeForce 5600 ) which has made no significant difference. I was wondering whether to try some more ram.

Apart from buying a more modern computer, can anyone suggest a way of getting faster surfing. The computer runs fast enough for all the other applications, including photo editing etc. I have also recently re-installed Windows.

Many thanks,

Pete Mansell
Slow surfing - JohnPug
If you have a spare slot for the memory, another 128mb or more would not be wasted, it should be really cheap now.
Slow surfing - L'escargot
If you have a spare slot for the memory, another 128mb
or more would not be wasted, it should be really cheap
now.

Yep, I had to have an additional memory stick installed in my computer to alleviate the very problem you described. Without it some websites weren't just slow to load, they would only partially load.
--
L\'escargot.
Slow surfing - Altea Ego
Sorry to say this pete, but sticking a faster graphics card in that set up is a complete waste of time.

More memory (to a max of 512mb for win 98) will provide you with a real improvement, however your CPU is ancient, and your motherboard will be just as bad

chuck it all.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks for the comments. At least I didn't pay for the graphics board, so it was worth a try! I was a little puzzled why I can download at 2 Meg but be so slow at loading web pages.

Pete
Slow surfing - Altea Ego
Becuase suprisingly your web browser eats up to 10% of your CPU and quite a large chunk of your memory
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Becuase suprisingly your web browser eats up ............

>>............... quite a large chunk of your memory

And your startup programmes use up memory as well.
--
L\'escargot.
And your startup programmes use up memory as well.
--

Reducing startup programmes to a minimum may help.
--
L\'escargot.
Thanks for the feedback. As we already have the minimum number of startup programs, it looks like I will have to try more ram. Either that or put the cost of the ram towards a new motherboard/processor!

Pete
Is this the future? - Dipstick
I've long since reached that age of cynicism that leads me to believe that nothing exciting or revolutionary is really happening in the computer world.

And then I saw this video.

tinyurl.com/jcktf

I want one on my desk NOW.

Older Mobile Phones (esp. Nokia) - No FM2R
Not really a question, however something which seems not well understood.

In our mobile phones we typically store a lot of contact details be that names, multiple phone numbers per name, e-mail addresses, home addresses and goodness knows what else.

An older mobile phone has two types od storage;

The phone itself. Typically this allows quite a lot of details, but the number of entries can be limited. Depending on the phone, numbers between 200 and 400 are common.

The SIM also has a memory. This allows even fewer entries and typically less detail per entry. e.g. perhaps only one phone number.

A newer mobile phone adds various forms of storage card to the above two. This means loads more memory, loads of details and a ready transport system since they are normally removable.

However, people seem to keep the only copy of this information within the phone. This is ridiculous. The phone or one of its parts may fail or break, you may lose, damage or destroy the phone itself, it may be stolen, or you may simply buy a new phone and wish to transfer the details.

All newer phones will synchronise with Microsoft outlook. Most older ones will to. Therefore Outlook Contacts, even if you never use it, is a very reasonable place to store this information. Dump it on to memory stick and you can carry it with you.

By the way, you will find that you can create sub-directories in your contact folder. So if you wished to use a work machine, or one that was not yours, then one would create a sub-folder, synchronise with that, copy that sub-folder .pst to memory stick, then erase the sub-folder from the outlook account. Now you have a copy on stick, but you have neither left a copy on the machine, nor confused your contacts with a bunch of others.

Pay particular attention to synchronise since you can normally alter which direction (or both) updates run in. That will prevent corrupting or polluting unneccessarily.

Do not use a backup function if you can possibly avoid it. Backup from one phone and restore to another very rarely works. It frequently fails between phones of the same model, never mind different models and god forbid different brands. So use the synchronise method via outlook if you can. This will deal with virtually all vagaries of format, field name/number, phone model/brand or anything else.

If you do not have the approriate cables, then you can buy bluetooth and infra-red dongles which will plug into any machine and communicate with your phone. They may be slightly more expensive than a cable, but there a lot easier to use and mroe likely to remain useful in the future. Of course, many laptops already have IR or BT enabled on them.

Whatever - make sure that the only copy of your contacts is NOT on the phone. If you need advice on how to solve your particular issues, then ask I'll probably be able to help. But do it now. I have just been dealing with a very nice, very pleasant, and very sad lady who has lost all of her contact dertails for all of her friends, family, acquaintances and business contacts.
Incorrect screen alignment - SjB {P}
Now back in the UK I'm working on the Wireless Zero Configuration Issue described in CRQ volume 10 and have found an unrelated issue that I don't know how to solve;

To save desk space my IBM T42 laptop (Win XP Pro SP2) and MESH tower (Win XP MCE SP2) share the same flatscreen, keyboard, and mouse via a Sitecom KVM switch. Although the switch works fine, horizontal screen alignment from the two computers is different. If I set the horizontal hold on the flatscreen when viewing the laptop, switching to tower unit has the display area disappearing considerably (about 1/2") off the right hand side of the screen and a corresponding black band on the left hand side. Viccy verky of course when set the other way round.

Where do I find the settings to adjust screen alignment directly from a video card, please?
I would like to adjust either laptop or tower unit so that horizontal aligment matches the other
Vertical alignment is fine.
Incorrect screen alignment - Altea Ego
Right

Ok

You screen resolution is limited by the native resolution of your flat panel, lets say for argument 1024x768. If you switch above or below this the panel has to "make up" the pixels and its all goes distinctly fuzzy.

So both machine are set to the same resolution - if not stand there and accept this slap.

However both machines are NOT at the same frequency, your IBMT42 will be at 60hz, and your mesh at 75mhz or higher Make sure the adaptor is set to 60hz.

Now normaly the video card is set by windows detecting the ID of the monitor, checking with the driver about what modes it does, and setting the best mode. I assume your using the standard 9 pin analogue video cables, there is a chance your switch box is not returning the id bits back to the video cards ( it just done by shorting out a combo of 4 pins in the display)

In short, both laptop and desktop have to be set to the same horizontal and vertical refresh rates.

You could download the ati driver for the think pad (not the same as the ones it was built with) and use the multiple screens function on there,

Or of course you could push the auto configure button on the panel whne you switch from one to the other.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
So both machine are set to the same resolution - if
not stand there and accept this slap.

No slap needed! ;-)
Both machines set to 1280x1024
I assume you're using
the standard 9 pin analogue video cables, there is a chance
your switch box is not returning the id bits back to
the video cards ( it just done by shorting out a
combo of 4 pins in the display)

Perhaps (but see also last para below) this is the crux of it; the MESH only has digital (DVI) video ouput so I am using a DVI to 9 pin converter plug to feed my analogue monitor. I intend to purchase a digital monitor, but it's low priority for the time being as my analogue (Samsung) is crisp, clean, and true coloured.

Or of course you could push the auto configure button on
the panel whne you switch from one to the other.

Exactly what I have beeing doing as it happens!

Since writing however I have found that I have six hardware problems as shown in Start / Settings / Control Panel / System / Hardware tab / Device Manager, one of which is the display adapter. MESH are now posting me the driver backup CD that should have come with the PC, but which didn't. Until it arrives I will continue to use the "auto config" button.

Cheers.
Incorrect screen alignment - cheddar
the MESH only has digital (DVI) video ouput so
I am using a DVI to 9 pin converter plug to
feed my analogue monitor.

>>

So what gfx card is it?
Incorrect screen alignment - rtj70
I can only assume you've gone for an ATI or NVIDIA graphics card. If yes then forget their driver CD and head to the appropriate web-site and grab the latest. ATI for instance release an updated driver every month that fixes issues, tweaks here and there. I'd always want to have the latest drivers.

As for the other items, a quick visit to Windows update might fix the other problems too.
I can only assume you've gone for an ATI or NVIDIA
graphics card. If yes then forget their driver CD and head
to the appropriate web-site and grab the latest. ATI for instance
release an updated driver every month that fixes issues, tweaks here
and there. I'd always want to have the latest drivers.
As for the other items, a quick visit to Windows update
might fix the other problems too.

Yup; NVIDIA, and good idea; will take a look at their website for the latest applicable download. For the other broken devices, I will try to install from MESH CD when it arrives, and then upgrade. None of the broken devices find matches when I simply say "search the web for drivers", so this will give me a baseline. Some don't even say what they are (either as device name or from RMB properties).

Cheers!
Incorrect screen alignment - rtj70
Any video card upto and including the Geforce 7xxx series had a unified driver so if you have practically any Nvidia card (from the very old TNT to the Geforce 7950GT) there is only one driver for each OS - clever really.

If it's one of the new 8800 series then they broke the unified driver model and it's got it's own. If you've got one of them it will be really fast and I'd be envious but cannot justify the cost and my PC would not be fast enough.

Latest release I see was 2nd November version being 93.71 so realise mine is well out of date.

P.S. If it still lets you, run the Nvidia GUI in classic mode... it's better than the new "Windows standard" that comes with Vista.... then again you'll be upgrading anyway.
Any video card upto and including the Geforce 7xxx series had
a unified driver so if you have practically any Nvidia card
(from the very old TNT to the Geforce 7950GT) there is
only one driver for each OS - clever really.

Indeed so; thanks for the tip, subsequently confirmed in the link Stuartli has posted below.
If it's one of the new 8800 series

I considered one, but for what I want to do decided it was not money well spent; in truth I don't need one.
P.S. If it still lets you, run the Nvidia GUI in
classic mode... it's better than the new "Windows standard" that comes
with Vista.... then again you'll be upgrading anyway.

Ok, ta.
Incorrect screen alignment - Stuartli
You'll find this an interesting and well written insight into how to install drivers for nVidia cards (there's also an ATi version):

www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html
You'll find this an interesting and well written insight into how
to install drivers for nVidia cards

Indeed I do; many thanks.
Something to read when the babies are in bed later.
Windows Zero Configuration Wireless - SjB {P}
To conclude www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47159&...e from CRQ Vol 110, now locked:

In the absence of any helpful documentation, I browsed the Belkin folder in Program Files and found the following text in file WLanCard.ini

# 0 : Disable zero configuration
# 1 : Enable zero configuration
ControlWZCSVC = "0"

Changing the last digit from 0 to 1 has solved the problem; the service is no longer shut down immediately after having started automatically on boot.

Thanks for the help along the way.
Copying Hard Drive - R75
One of my HD's is failing (again, last time I buy Maxtor's, had 3 fail in the last 4 months!!), all data is safe as I back up daily to 2 hard drives and weekly to DVD Rom, but when the new hard drive arrives tomorrow I want to copy the operating system and programmes accross without having to do a re-install, is there any free programmes out there which will do this?
Copying Hard Drive - Altea Ego
www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.sh...l
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Copying Hard Drive - R75
Thanks for the link TVM, will try a couple of them and see how they work.
Copying Hard Drive - Stuartli
I've bought a couple of Western Digital hard drives in Caviar SE OEM versions over the past five or six years and been very satisfied with them.

The drives with a model number ending in JB used to come with a three year warranty, but WD changed its warranty policy about 18 months ago and it may be different now. Details at:

support.wdc.com/warranty/index.asp

Incidentally, the WD website confirmed my current 60GB drive was outside its three year warranty period very rapidly after it expired...:-)

More frustrating is that the £66 I paid Dabs for my current drive would enable me to fit at least a 320GB drive in my system today.
Copying Hard Drive - R75
Just replaced the Maxtor with a WD, so will see if they are any more reliable!!!!!!
Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - artful dodger {P}
Today I received the following email message, but I did not send the original message. Am I right in thinking someone is bouncing emails off my website or is there another explanation? The names bankardmail.com and sales@kaniut.com are unknown to me.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. The following addresses failed:

SMTP error from remote server after transfer of mail text:
host smtpgate.acsalaska.net[209.112.168.120]:
554 5.7.1 spamdefang score exceeds maximum - message from 217.160.230.40 rejected

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

Received-SPF: none (mxus4: 81.16.92.147 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of justpaintings.co.uk) client-ip=81.16.92.147; envelope-from=sales@justpaintings.co.uk; helo=bankardmail.com;
Received: from [81.16.92.147] (helo=bankardmail.com)
by mx.perfora.net (node=mxus4) with ESMTP (Nemesis),
id 0MKpuZ-1GxdGi3JBz-0005T0 for sales@kaniut.com; Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:48:34 -0500
Received: from [192.168.5.13] (port=56327 helo=user1.domain)
by bankardmail.com with asmtp
id J85Gz071646944
for sales@kaniut.com; Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:09:44 +0000
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:09:44 +0000
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Message-Id:
To:
Subject: Best place to buy unexpensive Cialis
X-Mailer: ThinData EMS v30
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Thanks for your help.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - Dalglish
.. Am I right in thinking someone is bouncing emails off my website or is there another explanation? ..

there will be loads of mail spoofed from your email address going out from a zombie (spambot compromised) computer. some of these will be bounced back from the receipient inbox or their isp.

in essence, someone who has your email address on thier computer has a trojan/virus/spambot which is linked to a chain of other spambots. these will send out emails to all and sundry using different spoofed addresses made up from the contact lists.

Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - artful dodger {P}
Dalglish thanks for that answer. The strange thing is the email address has been picked off my website, as this is not my normal business email address.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - R75
They just harvest them, I have had a load for tech@xxxxxxxxxx.com (where xxxxxxx is my domain), I don't even have an email called Tech, but they are just spamming my domain, nothing you can do, I just set any emails that are not in a known format to go to the black hole, I used to return them until I read on here that doing that causes more problems for others and the spammers just carry on without it effecting them........HoHum.
Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - Stuartli
Returning spam e-mails merely confirms that it is a genuine e-mail address.
Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - pmh
The problems start when your domain name becomes included in a SPAM Black list because of the bulk of spam that has been originated using spoofed names@yourdomain.xxx

Once included on a black list that is then used by ISPs for filtering mail, any genuine mails that you try to send may never reach your intended recipient. My advice to people that have their own domain names is the only way to minimise this risk is to use mainstream ISPs as their mail service provider.

I have 1 (non tech) friend who lost most of his e business because of this, and nobody on the so called help lines could give a credible way out of his problem.

Has anybody any better suggestions?
--

pmh (was peter)

Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - Dalglish
.. strange thing is the email address has been picked off my website ..

it is likely then to have got to a bot from someone :
who has emailed you using that address ,
or has put you as a contact in address book,
or then again there are automatic bots which crawl web pages to find email addresses.

to be on the safe side, make sure your own computer is not working as a botnet, eg. see
isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1597
Odd email. ? bouncing off my website - Hamsafar
"Returning spam e-mails merely confirms that it is a genuine e-mail address."

or an innocent party then gets it bounced to them, as the spam senders spoof other victim's email address as the sender.
secure site sign in problem. - Imagos
My IE7 works fine however i cannot sign in on any secure site sign in page, ie ebay. Whenever I go to sign in page I get unable to display page screen.

This sites log in ok though because no HTTPS on adress bar on sign in page.

Suspect something to with security?

Hope this makes sense?

Any ideas?

TIA
secure site sign in problem. - Stuartli
Go back to IE6 until IE7 is sorted out?

(Add/Remove Programs).

The computer forums are full of tales of various woes with IE7.
secure site sign in problem. - L'escargot
Go back to IE6 until IE7 is sorted out?

I assume that this is a problem specific to Imagos's (and perhaps a few other's) computer and that the majority of IE7 users will not experience it.

Yes or no?
--
L\'escargot.
secure site sign in problem. - harry m
no problems here with IE7 in fact works very well.
secure site sign in problem. - Citroënian {P}
Are you using a firewall? Check port 443 is open....
-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
Spam horrors. - wemyss
I have been increasingly inundated with Spam over the last few months and has increased towards Christmas where I now get almost 100 in a day.
Viagra, fake watches, and share advice coming in by the boatload.
Have Norton Anti-Virus which basically does nothing but redirect the majority of it into a separate folder in OE. This is of limited value as it still has to be checked as it sometimes gets genuine mail put in there by mistake.
As I see it with limited computer expertise the only fallback is to change my e-mail address which I have been reluctant to do so up to now.
If I do this would it be advisable to simply change the name in front of @ or to change completely.
Or any other advice would be welcome.

tinyurl.com/5kzxb
Interesting BBC item which shows the latest method of combating Spam.
wemyss

Spam horrors. - Armitage Shanks {p}
My ISP allows me to set up a 'filter' system. I enter words which I do not wish to find in my e mails; these e mails are then put into a SPAM folder and I can delete the ones I don't want and direct the ones that I do want into my normal IN box. That said I am still getting more invitations to visit naughty girls with webcams and viagra to go with it, than I would like and these are getting thru my ISP's filter system which suprises me.

If you are really fed up you can join a service called SPAMEX and for $10 a year you get 500 disposable e mail addresses. You can still use your own email but you send and receive e mail thru an internediate address. If you find you are being spammed you just creat a new shadow address but your basic every day address stays the same.
Spam horrors. - wemyss
Yes I get all those mails AS and have never before been so popular as apparently nice girls from all over the world are after my body.
There is also a section in OE where you can set message rules where you enter words which should then delete if you choose. I have entered words such as Viagra, Ciallis, Soft tabs etc but they dont seem to make any difference.
I have tried using my ISP mail service which is Orange which has all these filtering devices but it is such a clumsy site to read your mail.
I think I will firstly try adding a new name beore the @. My wife has obviously a different name (which she never uses) but she never gets spam. So I may try this as a first step.
Have also blocked hundreds of e-mail addresses but apparently they change their name every day as the same ones come in with a diferent name.
I have even had spam coming in offering me half a million addresses for a fee.
wemyss
Spam horrors. - bintang
Since moving to BT Broadband I get no more spam.
Spam horrors. - JH
you will!
JH
Acoustic Energy WiFi radio won't boot - SjB {P}
Purchased the missus an Acoustic Energy WIFi internet radio to listen to Czech "radio". A great piece of kit, but broken after just a few hours; checking the firmware showed hers to be several releases out of date according to the AE website, and with some nice looking features to be gained I invoked the firmware upgrade option; this is supposed to take from 1-10 minutes to complete depending on how many service packs have passed and how good the connection is.

Five hours later, with "upgarding firmware" still on the screen, no home wireless network activity bar normal background stuff, and no internet activity, I got seriously fed up waiting and pulled the power lead out (yes, despite the BOLD WARNING written on the website about the consequences). With AE support on hols until the new year and nothing helpful to be found on the web, what else was I going to do?

Anyway, bad move.
Now I have a nice blank screen and nothing else.
Humph.

Does any BRer know of a hidden keypad sequence to reset this Linux powered device?
There is no reset "pip" to be found anywhere but I would find it hard to believe that send back to base be required; there has to be a basic "bootstrap" somewhere.

Ta.
Acoustic Energy WiFi radio won't boot - Baskerville
I don't know about your radio but I had a router zapped by a lightning strike on a telephone exchange and the standard resets/firmware reflashing did nothing. Back to base it went (out of warranty) and came back working. It is definitely the same unit as it had some "scars" on the box. In your case since it's still in warranty I'd send it back where it came from (the retailer that is) and get it replaced. Could be a hardware problem of some kind, compounded now by a bad firmware flash.
new Toshiba laptop - any thoughts? - tyro
I'm vaguely considering a new laptop.

I saw this Toshiba one - tinyurl.com/y7n37r - at Morgan Computers.

It seemed to be unbelievably good value for what is, I gather, basically a brand new machine.

So I must be missing something. What's the catch?
new Toshiba laptop - any thoughts? - Stuartli
There are no catches with Morgan Computers - it's a well respected, long standing company.

Incidentally many people who have bought so-called "refurbished" digital cameras from Morgan report that, in fact, they are brand new and the "refurbished" tag is a means of disposing of discontinued models without upsetting those who bought at the original price.
new Toshiba laptop - any thoughts? - sine
The processor is slow but otherwise it looks like a nice machine.
new Toshiba laptop - any thoughts? - Victorbox
As with all things to do with PC's the specs date very quickly so all the specs here are "old hat" in computer terms. Small'ish hard disk, relatively slow processor, only 512Mb RAM when most would give you 1024Mb. Unless you want to play games on the laptop it should be fine.
new Toshiba laptop - any thoughts? - Stuartli
>>Small'ish hard disk, relatively slow processor, only 512Mb RAM>>

Over the years I've had an 850MB, 1.3GB, 1.7GB, 6.4GB, 20GB and my current 60GB hard drive (plus 512MB of RAM, the most to date as the younger offspring purloined the other 512MB) and I've never managed to get anywhere near filling any of them...:-)

Mind you I'm not messing about with vast video files or huge music downloads, just the run of the mill use, but all the hard drives have been more than adequate.

Same with CPUs, from a 100MHz Pentium, a 400MHz and 566MHz Celeron, 1GB PentiumIII and now an Athlon XP 3200+. All have proved fast enough at the time of use...:-)
new Toshiba laptop - any thoughts? - tyro
Thanks gentlemen.

Looks like that is what I need to get - if my attempted repair (see next thread) doesn't work.
switching laptop RAM between sockets - tyro
Before I go and buy myself a new laptop, I am wondering if my old one can be revived.
The story of its problem can be found on volume 108 under the title "virtual memory minimum too low": www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46668#
The long and short of it is that it takes the computer over an hour to boot up.

My guess is that there is a hardware problem, and that it is something to do with RAM.

In order to test my hypothesis, I exchanged the two memory modules in my laptop, putting the one which had been in socket A into socket B, and vice versa. (The instructions say that a memory module must be in socket A, and that one should not try to operate the computer with a memory module in socket B only) The result of my experiment was that the laptop didn't do anything when I turned it on. Dead. So I switched them back, and it has gone on as usual - virtual memory minimum too low, everything happening at the speed of a glacier - but at least working.

What conclusions, if any, should I draw?

(And btw, would it have been possible for me to have put them in in wrong when I switched them? I've never done this before, so I could have done it wrong, but it looked like there was only one way to put them in.)
switching laptop RAM between sockets - adverse camber
on the basis of that I would remove the stick in B (the one that didnt work when in A) and see if it boots.

Did you try booting an image cd instead of your hard drive ? Just to rule out a config issue with your existing install. download one of the linux live cd's and see how that that works. as an aside most of them will also boot into a proper memory test program (memtest86) try running that with and without the possibly bad stick.
Adverse Camber, I did what you suggested in paragraph 1, and the result was interesting. Very interesting. The computer worked fine. In fact, it seemed to be back to normal. There was no "virtual memory minimum too low" message. This despite the fact that the machine was now running Windows XP on 128 mb of RAM. (Task Manager now saying 114,000 for total physical memory as opposed to 245,000 before I took the dubious stick out)

As for your second paragraph . . . well, since I am a total computer duffer, it was all Greek to me. And being a very cautious computer duffer, I'm going to be extremely reluctant to try anything I don't understand!
switching laptop RAM between sockets - adverse camber
tyro,

no need to worry about live cd or memtest. Looks like you've found the problem. duff memory stick.
look up what the laptop will take and order a replacement.

crucial have a very good selector tool - not perfect, I have had it send the wrong stuff, but usually good. and their prices are reasonable.
switching laptop RAM between sockets - Stuartli
Crucial's products, customer care and after sales service is way up there with the very best. If only other companies were half as good.....
Thanks gentlemen.

Somewhat to my puzzlement, the Crucial Memory Advisor tool seems not to be aware of the Toshiba Satellite 1800 series!

Toshiba say that one should use SO DIMM 144-PIN SDRAM - 100 MHz
Crucial sell SO DIMM 144-PIN SDRAM - 133 MHz , but I can't find 100 MHz on their site. Is the 133 compatible?

(I noticed an ebay seller wrote: "SDRAM SODIMM memory modules for Laptops, PC100/PC133 bus compatible (Both PC100 & PC133 modules available)")
switching laptop RAM between sockets - Stuartli
Providing everything else is the same, the 133MBz memory wil/shouldl run but at the 100MHz speed.

However, see:

tinyurl.com/yn6bz9 (Kingston is an equally respected name)

www.it247.com/Product/32-KTT-SO815*2f256

There are other suppliers.
Thanks, gentlemen.

Looks like I'm off to buy some ram.
DVD question - borasport20
as we are still in the dark ages with only the 5 terrestrial channels (and we only watch 4 of them), the f.i.l. has copied something off satellite for us.

We now have 2 'DVD-RAM' disks, each containing a DVD_RTAV folder with a .bup, .ifo and .vro file.

The movie will play on my pc but not on our philips DVD player - is there any way, through nero or similar, to burn it to another cd which we can play on the dvd player ?

cheers

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
DVD question - Stuartli
Gleaned from general rummaging on Google.

The .ifo file is a video index file and the .bup a backup.

The suggestions seem to be that you could try renaming the .vro files (should be largest file in the .ifo file) to .vob FROM THE DISKS themselves.

Open these .vob files with a trial version of VideoReDo (www.videoredo.com/ ) and save them as an MPEG2 file to your hard drive.

You should then, hopefully, be able to burn them to a DVD and watch on a standard DVD player.

Another source:

www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t232309.html

DVD question - borasport20
Cheers Stuart, but found out how to do it through nero - though burning each DVD took the best part of 3 hours !

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
DVD question - Stuartli
Glad you've sorted it..:-)

I use DVDFab Platinum for backing up DVDs if required - start to finish takes about 15 to 16 minutes on my (new) Sony AW-G170A10 DVD rewriter; has fastest writing speeds available to date, yet costs under £20.
DVD question - Dalglish
.. Sony AW-G170A10 DVD rewriter; has fastest writing speeds available to date, yet costs under £20.

where ?

DVD question - Stuartli
I got mine here:

www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProduct...6

Offspring collected it as part of a larger order..:-)

or

www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/brands/a499x1y0z1p0s0n...5

Plenty of other sources, also there's a choice of bezel colour; only available in OEM form at any outlet who sell it.
DVD question - Dalglish
I got mine here:

thanks.