Computer Related Questions - Volume 105 - Dynamic Dave
***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 106 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 105. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

re: XP won't recognise HDD during setup - Chicken Vindaloo
Thanks to everyone who offered me lifelines to my original topic in Volume 104.

"The Beast" is currently downloading Windows Updates as I type. I have to say that I have never, ever encountered a more difficult PC in all my years of PC support.

I checked, checked, and checked again all the jumper settings on the various drives. In the end I ended up putting a new HDD in and running one of the optical drives as a slave to install XP. It previously had two optical drives on the primary IDE channel. I've now got the new HDD as the master on that channel and will work out what to do with the second optical drive at some point in the future.

A colleague suggested installing Windows 98SE and then upgrading to XP as this had worked for them. This went well up to a point. As you know from my original post, XP setup wouldn't recognise the hard drive, but without changing anything I was able to install 98SE onto the existing HDD and get it up and running. Trying to upgrade though didn't happen - I still got the "We are unable to detect any hard drives on your system and the computer in its infinite wisdom says 'No'."

TVM - thanks for your suggestion re the Master Boot Record. I looked on t'Internet and found a bootable MBR fixer and it got me a lot further than I'd got before, but it all ended in a BSOD which is when I thought I'd cut my losses, time and frustration and put in a new hard drive. That's certainly a tip to squirrel away for future use.

I'm now going to lay down the law to the Curry extended family: "Laptops will be Toshibas, Desktops will be Dells". I've wasted three evenings faffing around now with "non-standard to Chicken Vindaloo" hardware and if they want free support they'll do as they're told!

Once again I am indebted to The Back Room community.

All the very best,
CV

re: XP won't recognise HDD during setup - psi
Do you have the latest BIOS installed on the motherboard of the computer you are using, and does the HDD show up in the BIOS?

There will most likely also be jumpers on the HDD that configure the type of drive and access mode (not talking about the Pri mas/sec mas, pri/sla sec/sla jumpers). It is easy to set a drive to appear as something it isn't to the BIOS if the jumpers are set incorrectly - see owners manual or respective HDD manuf. web site.

Now, does the disk work? - My first suggestion is to put the offending HDD in to a "known good" PC as a seconday drive, boot in to doze and firstly do a full FAT/NTFS format on the drive (NOT A QUICK FORMAT, this does not create the file system structure!) then run scandisk with "checl for surface errors" enabled - it may need to restart your puter to lock access to the drive. p.s. to do both of these go to "my comptuer", then right click the drive (will be the only hard disk other than C:) and click properties.

my suspicion is however and in this order: 1) the jumpers are not set properly 2) the bios is not set correctly (try restoring system defaults in the bios) 3)the bios firmware is out of date.
sorry that should be "check for surface errors"
re: XP won't recognise HDD during setup - cheddar
and firstly do a
full FAT/NTFS format on the drive >>

That was my previous suggestion, if the drive is FAT formatted then XP will not auto install, this is supported by the load 98SE etc comment, 98SE will load on FAT and XP will then run as an upgrade.
it does work fine on FAT32, NTFS is only really required if you want it (encryption etc..) and win xp will also format a "low-level" formatted disk (i.e. brand new out of the box with no file system ntfs/fat et al), but doze won't do a surface scan on a non-logical drive i.e. unformatted.
re: XP won't recognise HDD during setup - GregSwain
Why are all you luddites still using Windows?!

I've been on Ubuntu Linux for the last year, and quite happy. It even managed to detect my hard drive on install, and gave me the option of installing XP in a separate partition! ;-)
re: XP won't recognise HDD during setup - Stuartli
Why are all you luddites still using Windows?!>>

Probably because we have enough trouble with Windows without starting afresh...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Moving old e-mails - daveyjp
A colleague has bought my old PC from me. He has Telewest Broadband using Outlook for e-mails. He needs to transfer his old e-mails to the new machine. Can anyone provide assistance on how to do it?
Moving old e-mails - cheddar
In Outlook go File>Import Export>Export to a file> .pst file> include sub folders etc. Save to desktop, copy to CD, copy to new PC desktop, then in Outlook on the new machine go File>Import Export>Import from another programe or file, find the .pst file on the desktop, done!
Interference noise with Tunes - Oz
In the early stages of transferring my stuff from CD and vinyl onto iTunes, I now have a sizeable iTunes library on my notebook PC. Next step was to link my notebook PC (via Line/audio Out) to my decent-quality amplifier, via an unused set of signal input terminals on the latter. I used a high quality/price cable - gold plated terminals etc.
Works great - except that there is a faint but persistent background intereference, best described as a combination of buzz + 'flutter'. This is only noticeable at low or zero music levels - but ONLY occurs when the PC is plugged into the mains via its transformer lead. With PC running only on battery there is total silence when there should be. But running time is then down to round 2 hours!
Just wondered whether the answer lies in some form of shielding - or filter? Appreciate any ideas!
Oz (as was)
Interference noise with Tunes - Altea Ego
Its one of two things,

1/ a badly designed power supply for the notebook pc. Little you can do about this other than change you power supply or notebook pc.

2/ An earth loop. Its caused by two earths (one for the pc and one for the amp) and the resultant connection across the two..

It sounds like 1, The "flutter" is probably the switched mode power supply doing "switched mode power supply stuff"

YOu could try temporarily powering one or the other up with no earth. (make up a small extension mains lead with no earth)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Interference noise with iTunes - Oz
Thanks TVM, I'll check out your suggestions.
Incidentally your earth loop suggestion reminded me of my young days when I built a stereo valve amplifier* (Mullard 10-10). I following the circuit diagram exactly etc, etc, but was not wise to the concept of earth loops. So, the amp did actually work, but with it being very high gain (the valves were microphonic!), the level of the hum was audible outside the house even with doors closed !!
* I know, what are 'valves'? I hear most Backroomers ask...
Oz (as was)
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - M.M
Setup: Windows XP (auto updates on) and latest Outlook Express. Norton, Zonealarm plus I run Windows Washer, Spybot & AdAware most weeks.

For a while now I've been getting an ever increasing amount of mails that look like harmless spam. They start with a random title like "Careers" or "Repeater So". Then the body of the text looks like some investor advice... sometimes having from a few to fifty lines of pretty random text that looks added. Like this...

.....I put in this, on the spur of the moment, warned by the blank effect, Show me who will take that up Let the party immediately It was mine too, and I highly respected Miss Mowcher for it. I began to think there was something disorderly in his being there afraid youll never like me. Are you sure you dont think, with his long forefinger pointing towards me.....

I have only just noticed when trying to copy it here the "investor advice" text is actually an image... despite my Outlook settings being set to not disply images it does.

On average we would get about 5-10 of these a day but this morning we had 60 when the inbox was first opened... and now every check for messages brings in a few more. About 100 so far in 2hrs!

The originators mail address is rarely the same twice but oddly todat the same two addresses are apparently producing all these mails. One being qstore3 at buddiesinbadtimestheatre.com . They appear to be a legit theatre company in Canada.

I am wondering if these are not bad luck/random but that we might have something that's calling these mails in... or could our own PC have a bug that is sending them to ourselves?

Any ideas appreciated.

David

Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - Altea Ego
Not your pc.

The spam is in the piccy as you said. Spam blockers cant see inside piccies. The text is there to convince the spam blocker its a proper e-mail. Your email address has just been added to a spam list (possibly by someone else who gets your e-mail and was subsequently compromised by a bot).

So its bad luck, not random, and until the ISP's block that sending site (which has been compromised or spoofed) your spam will continue.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
OK thanks TVM.

So is it possible that these are all coming from the same source despite usually having completely different mail addresses?

David
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - Altea Ego
Possible

Spoofing is very easy. (putting a false email sender address or even originating ip address in the email header). Whats harder is spoofing the resultant "hops" (various computers, routers, bridges) the message passes through.

Doing a traceroute on the second email address in the ip header string wil reveal the orginating ISP or subnet.

However I am sorry to say, its possible you have just been entered on two seperate list of spam email addresses, and that may get worse as they get bought and sold.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - Robbie
I'm receiving exactly the same mails. Most of the text is just gibberish - sometimes alluding to Charles Dickens or similar literati.

I've found it impossible to prevent, short of changing my main e.mail address, which I'm reluctant to do. I purchased Mailwasher Pro which allows me to delete before downloading. I only wish it could delete them at source and bounce them back to the originator.
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - Baskerville
Can't say for sure of course but I reckon someone in your address book, or someone in the address book of someone in your address book (and so on) has a problem. It's bad luck but it will pass. If you've scanned your machine with up to date scanners I don't think there's a lot more you can do. To make your life easier I would set up the Thunderbird mail client which learns to spot spam very well. Use it instead of Outlook and it will very quickly and accurately work out what should go in your "junk" mail folder and allow you to read your legitimate emails in the mean time.

If it's any consolation (it won't be) I get similar emails, though not in this quantity and only on my sacrificial email account. They originate all over the place. Like Thunderbird the Mac Mail.app and Linux Evolution client dump them all into "Junk."
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - Stuartli
>>I reckon someone in your address book, or someone in the address book of someone in your address book (and so on) has a problem>>

Not really - I get them and so do millions of others.

Just Delete them.

I hate them as it is easy to miss a genuine mail when batch deleting. Also I still worry that the image that looks like text could contain something nasty.

What really annoys is that we are careful with this our prime home/business mail address but it is often contacts of ours that send round these stupid Luck of the Irish (or whatever) round robin chain type mails that expose our address to an ever increasing amount of folks.

Also I now realise it was a bit daft to have our main mail address as the one registered with EBay/Paypal as there is huge scope for misuse by those that get to see it in that context.

Thanks,

David
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - Dalglish
... I now realise it was a bit daft to have our main mail address as the one registered ..

>>

one way to avoid your email address being "farmed" from the internet is to follow this advice:

"Fool" the spammers by how you post. Say your regular e-mail address is rachel@uraqt.net. Instead, change it to rachel@REMOVE.THIS.TO.REPLY.uraqt.net. Live human beings will know to omit the REMOVE.THIS.TO.REPLY. The spammers, with their "address culling robots," as attorney and spam foe Mark Welch calls them, would get their junk back as undeliverable.
Many people routinely add "spam bait" to their news-group posts, the e-mail addresses of the White House, and key Senators and Representatives. Spammer robots pick up these addresses and send spam to them, along with everyone else. The hope is that rather than drowning in spam, our august elected officials will choose to regulate it.

note that it is advice by an american based outfit, hence the inclusion of their elected officials.

... Not really - I get them and so do millions of others ..

no, really, sturatli, baskerville is correct to state:
" Can't say for sure of course but I reckon someone in your address book or someone in the address book of someone in your address book (and so on) has a problem ..

the spam described is not genuine spam, it spam spam.
e.g see
www.gaeia.co.uk/index.php?module=ContentExpress&fu...3
news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,3927...m

it is impossible to stop even though major anti-spam campaigners have tried to stop it. the spam normally originates from compromised computers and is sent out by automated "bots". for example, www.spamhaus.org has found that the message is usually totally bogus, the company involved is bogus, there is no one selling any magic medicines, there is no one selling any shares, etc.
as yet no one has been able to find out what the purpose of these spam emails is except for some guesses that either they are used to gather gullible people's credit-card details or they are a totally wild infection started by some vandal some time ago without any purpose except to cause annoyance and to abuse the world's internet traffic.
unless everyone in the world unites to shut down internet traffic and clean up their computers on the same day at the same time (i.e. just like you would need act in a concerted fashion to kill all chickens in a farm act to eradicate a disease such as bird-flu), the spam emails as described will continue.

as a temporary solution, you can change your email address but soon someone on your contact list who is slopy will get their computer infected and start sending out the spam emails to you.

>>the spam described is not genuine spam, it spam spam.>>

All the people I know (with Tiscali accounts at least) all get the same spam messages daily and all make similar complaints.

I have three e-mail accounts - the ones I've never had spam from in 10+ years are Pipex (apart from one isolated example about four years ago which Pipex support quickly addressed) and TalkTalk, which I switched to back in April from Tiscali.

I still get the Tiscali spam because I set up a PAYG account to maintain a particular e-mail address.

I'm aware of the address book spam possibilities but, at least in my case, it doesn't apply.

Ironically, at one time if you paid Tiscali it would stop the bulk of such spam, but now it offers anti-spam ware for free - I believe it should have done so from the start.

.. I'm aware of the address book spam possibilities ..

>>
in reply to stuartli:
i have various email addresses too.
i get spam (three to five a day) on only one address, and that is definitely from a spambot from a compromised pc belonging to one of the small cirlce of people who have that address.

a spam trojan "trojspammit" which has only been plugged today is described at
www.sophos.com/security/analyses/trojspammith.html

have a look at www.spamhaus.org/statistics/spammers.lasso to see how the top spammers are operating. e.g.

www.spamhaus.org/rokso/evidence.lasso?rokso_id=ROK...5
Full scale criminal operation. Spammer hijacks virus and trojan infected PCs (botnets) to spam out of.

www.spamhaus.org/rokso/evidence.lasso?rokso_id=ROK...8
This spam operation is large and uses only hijacked-virus-infected-PC botnets to spam out of. Due to the number of fresh machines they have access too, they are probably one of the larger virus/trojan creators and spreaders.

www.spamhaus.org/rokso/evidence.lasso?rokso_id=ROK...2
Noted for enormous numbers of domains (bogus registration info, of course), often rotating every three hours in the spam to avoid URIBL filters. Mails via proxies using the usual spamwares, probably off his own (leased) servers. Noted for having "fresh" peas, meaning he is very close to the botnet masters collecting new, unlisted, zombie IPs. Some of his programs include: BadCow, TaiwanMedia, Pharmacy Express (PharmacyExpress)

www.spamhaus.org/rokso/evidence.lasso?rokso_id=ROK...0
Stealth spamware creator. Author of mass-mailing worm Sobig, and subsequent malware distributions. One of the largest criminal-methods/botnet/proxy hijack spamming operations around.

Thanks for all that guys. Going to set up a new mail address with associated sub-addresses which can be cancelled and replaced as they get misused. We get 20 with our ISP so that should last a while.
.... Going to set up a new mail address with associated sub-addresses ...

>>

if you allocate different addresses to different groups of contacts (friends, family, business, online shoping, etc.), it will be easier for you to spot where the misuse is arising from.

Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - adverse camber
I still recommend that people buy a domain.

You can buy a domain name for under £10 and have all mail to that domain redirected to your real email address.

Every firm I deal with gets given an email address which is unique to that firm - then I know exactly who sells the list.

1and1, 123-reg are both uk based and will do you a domain name for a very reasonable cost. I use 123-reg who are part of pipex. If something gets compromised then set it to delete mails to that address.

you could get davidmm.org.uk or whatever. Ive had mysurname.org for 10 years and it does impress people no end.
>>1and1, 123-reg are both uk based and will do you a domain name for a very reasonable cost. I use 123-reg who are part of pipex. If something gets compromised then set it to delete mails to that address.>>

There have been some concern in other website forums in recent weeks with regard to the first mentioned's terms and conditions - they should be studied carefully.
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - adverse camber
Fair enough. Never used them, but they do get a lot of recommendations.

But I always read the T&C for things like that.
Problem e-mails... spam or worse? - Victorbox
Not that it helps you, but I've never had one spam e-mail until recently. Now I'm getting the same junk as you - 10 or 15 a day.
Final version of Internet Explorer 7 - Stuartli
The final version of Internet Explorer 7 has been released today and can be downloaded from:

www.filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer/

There's some useful advice about installation and whether you should wait for the Windows Update service to deliver IE7 next month or do it yourself now at:

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/42...l
Final version of Internet Explorer 7 - Baskerville
OMG Tabbed Browsing! RSS! A search box! It's a brave new world.

Here's another (somewhat humorous) link:

www.ie7.com/

Final version of Internet Explorer 7 - Stuartli
To be honest I'm sticking to Firefox as my main browser for the moment to see what, if any, problems arise with IE7...:-)

However, those who have been using the Beta versions generally wax lyrical about the speed of IE7 and the fact that its tabbed browsing feature is "even better" than Firefox.

We shall see.
Final version of Internet Explorer 7 - Citroënian {P}
You should do a search for "firefox" in MSN Search and see how many pages it takes to get a link to the proper homepage.

Has anyone seen the new getamac ads - they're not on the uk Apple site, but are on the US version www.apple.com/getamac

I particluarly like the movie one : "Better results"
-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
Final version of Internet Explorer 7 - Citroënian {P}
Saw that IE7 had been released last night - good head's up Stuart.

Can I just say though that with stuff like this, it's better to get the software from a known, trusted source - say Microsoft? sorry to split hairs, it's just good practice

www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx?mg_ID=10...0

FWIW, it looks like Vista will be here a lot sooner that you may imagine - Read that it's going RTM around the 25th....might not be for public consumption yet, but is very close.

And just to fire up Baskerville, it looks like Vista will give iLife a run for its money in terms of functionality....without having to shovel £70 to Apple every year for .mac {runs off giggling}

Lee
Final version of Internet Explorer 7 - Baskerville
without
having to shovel £70 to Apple every year for .mac {runs
off giggling}

Oh you didn't, did you?
Internet Explorer 7--Fast Work - Baskerville
oops:

secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_Arbitrary_Content_Di.../
Internet Explorer 7--Fast Work - drbe
Sticks head very carefully above parapet....................

Possibly against my better judgement, I have installed IE7. If I click the Favourites button, I lose the left hand couple of inches of screen, including HJ's ugly mug - whereas in IE6, when the Favourites list was displayed, the screen moved itself a little to the right.

Assuming that it's my fault - what have I done wrong?
Internet Explorer 7--Fast Work - Stuartli
including HJ's ugly mug>>

What a wonderful way to make friends and influence people...:-)

I'll wait until the bugs disappear before trying IE7 out and stick to Firefox, my main browser, until then.

But there's little doubt that Firefox (and perhaps Opera as well) has had an influence on Microsoft's thinking.
Internet Explorer 7--Fast Work - Dalglish
... Assuming that it's my fault - what have I done wrong?

>>

not ever seen or heard of the symptoms you describe. i would guess it may be something to do with your monitor/display resolution settings.

Internet Explorer 7--Fast Work - drbe
Phew! Relief!

I have got HJ's handsome boat back again. But how - I hear you cry?

I am using Yahoo! Mail, there is a 'Tools' button - click that and a 'Favourites option is displayed, click that and the 'Favourites pane opens. Job done.
"calendar" in XP Home - johnny
Is there anything in XP Home edition / Outlook Express that you can use as a diary / task reminder- I expect there's something in MS Works, but I uninstalled that in favour of Office 97 (without Outlook, though )

thanks

"calendar" in XP Home - Stuartli
Not that I'm aware of, but you can try To Do freeware such as:

fp.futuresights.com/~angstrom/todolist.html

or

www.tucows.com/preview/34191

An alternative is to use the computer equivalent of Post-It Notes, Sticky Notes, such as:

www.tk8.com/easynote.asp

You leave them on the Desktop and can change the fonts, background colour etc.

"calendar" in XP Home - malteser
I searched for a long time to find a good calendar/diary PC based program. There's plenty of web based stuff around, but this has, IMO, severe limitations.
I found a very good stand alone calendar: Yagoon Time. The base version is freeware; the "Pro" version costs a modest amount..
The website is here tinyurl.com/wosln

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
External USB Hard Drive - M.M
The size of files we need to back up are now getting impractical for CD-ROM... like the digital images now total 11GB.

I was looking at an external hard drive with USB... Amazon do a Western Digital 250GB for under £70.

Any experiences of these drives? Easy to use? Any downsides?

David
External USB Hard Drive - Citroënian {P}
Morning!

If you're getting a large amount of data to backup, I'd suggest two options:

1. DVD writer, 4.5Gb on a disk, disks are very cheap so you can have lots of copies to fall back on.
2. External HD, you can back up your files to this quickly and it takes up less space, but you're still dependent on a single hard disk that may fail (or two disks if you count the one your data is currently on).

I'd go for the DVD writer - if something nasty (heaven forbid!) gets onto your computer and the USB disk is connected, it could destroy both disks, losing all your data. If you've got a pile of DVDs to fall back on, they're relatively safer.

Of course, this is a worst case scenario and is very unlikely, but given the value of your photos and data, it's worth thinking about.

hth
External USB Hard Drive - Citroënian {P}
Sorry, experiences:

I've got a few external drives and use these for storage and they work well, but I still use DVDs for backups.

External USB Hard Drive - Stuartli
An external hard drive (I keep thinking I really must get one!) would be a boon. See:

www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-external-hard-drive.htm

You could also buy a DVD rewriter in place of your CD-R/RW rewriter to backup digital files (up to 8.5GB using dual layer); I've just bought Sony's very latest and fastest DVD rewriter for the princely sum of £20.93 - the media is acquired from www.7DayShop.com at very competitive prices (Infiniti and Imation media are rebadged Taiyo Yuden products, probably the finest media manufacturer in the world).

I've used Western Digital Caviar SE internal drives for years - extremely reliable - and I would expect the external version to be equally as good; what's more you get a big capacity for such a modest price just as with internal drives.
External USB Hard Drive - BB
I have bought two of those Western Digital drives from Amazon. Excellent value for money, no complaints so far. Reasonably quiet (not as quiet as a Maxtor onetouch though, they are near on silent) and auto on / off.

I would only really buy Western Digital or Maxtor hard drives.
External USB Hard Drive - No FM2R
>>Any downsides?

Two;

1) Old operating systems may not cope
2) If you lose it, break it or corrupt it, then you will lose an absolute s-load of data. Essentially they're too big to backup easily.
External USB Hard Drive - M.M
>>>>>Downsides.......1) Old operating systems may not cope

Hmm house not upgraded much but PC is newish Dell with XP and all its enforced updates.

>>>>>2) If you lose it, break it or corrupt it, then you will lose an absolute s-load of data. Essentially they're too big to backup easily.

You mean backing up the backup..... no I'll run the minimal risk of a double fault or there'll be no end to it.

I was only going to plug in the external hard drive every few days when important stuff added to the main PC. What is the usual way... to clone the whole PC hard drive onto the external or just copy the files/progs you need??

David

External USB Hard Drive - Statistical outlier
I used to use all sorts of freeware programs to backup all my files onto an external drive. I now use Synctoy, a Microsoft Powertool, as it is reliable and easy to use. You can also configure multiple folder pairs, and can control how it behaves very easily (cloning, syncronising, copying etc).

The multiple folder pairs also means that you can run two sets of backups on the external drive (assuming you have space), so you're never directly overwriting your most recent backup.

tinyurl.com/a8dnx
External USB Hard Drive - R75
I use ezback-it-up, great little programme, backs up everynight onto a HD that is there only as a back up drive, every week I then back up on to DVD, Now this is the important bit, my backup DVD's are stored in the shed down the bottom of the garden, at least this way if something happens in the house I still have a back up of all my work documents/website/accounts - I looked at getting an external HDD but it was just as easy to it this way.
External USB Hard Drive - SpamCan61 {P}
I've been using synctoy for a year or so now and it's very easy to confugure and use. The only downside I've found is that if the link between PCs drops ( I'm usually backing up across the home WiFi network) then it gets confused, and leaves the job half done. Thsi doesn't happen at all often s ic an live with it.
Hard Disk drive recovery - Vin {P}
I've suffered something of a disaster involving a power cut while my machine booted, coupled with an attitude to data backup that can only be described as grossly negligent.

Please assume in your responses that I know what an idiot I have been in not backing up my data.

My question is: Has anyone had any experience of using one of the organisations that offers hard disk drive data recovery? Did it work?

V
Hard Disk drive recovery - No FM2R
Yes, often. Yes, usually. Expensive.

What happens to tell you the disk is corrupt ?

An easy option would be with access to another computer but your own disk on as a slave and have a look at see what's happened to it.

You could also try obtaining linux on a cd and booting off that, which will then usually give you access to your own disk as a data disk.

Hard Disk drive recovery - Altea Ego
Mark is right,

Put it on another machine as a slave, boot it from a linux on a cd, boot it from windows cd and use recovery console tools, even reload winodws ( the data will still be there as long as you dont reformat or screw the master boot record.) try a norton rescue cd.

All recovery companies do is put the drive on an adaptor and read it with a sector editor, you can do exactly the same.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>Mark is right

My life is complete, I need no more. Thanks Stumpy.
>>Mark is right

But I still have hair
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Good stuff, Bostik.
Thanks, chaps.

OK, for more info - I've put the disk into a caddy and attached to anothe machine. It takes an age but eventually sees one of the partitions (It's an IBM disk with a recovery partition). Then there's a repeated head seek type noise and no access to the partition containing the data and OS.

The recovery program reformats the OS/Data partition before reloading XP - the notes are crystal clear about this. I can't see this partition at all and can't access anything in it. I've tried reloading windows from CD, but the CD isn't even recognised. I've downloaded the Microsoft osftware that creates Win XP boot floppies, but the machie just hangs at the end of this installation.

Is a sector editor something I'm likely to be able to use? I'll have a trawl for one, but your advice would be useful.

I reckon this is payback for leaving IBM two months ago!

V
No, its payback for having data and the OS on the same partition.

Assuming that you haven't had a total disk failure and that it is a corruption issue then it can only be a couple of things; a bot of data on the disk affecting a [usually small] number of files or something's had a pop at the disk header.

From what you're saying it sounds horribly like the second. Not in itselft an insurmountable issue. What various readers do is ignore what the header says and hunt around the disk loooking for themselves and recovering what they can. When they find a piece of data they move backwards and forwards from it until they get to the extent of the file. Obviously they work best, or at least at their easiest, when the disk is not fragmented. I'm guessing yours is going to be.

How important is the stuff ?
Ta, Mark,

The data is pretty crucial. I tend to keep emails with crucial data rather than copying the data anywhere, so there are all kinds of receipts, activation codes, bits of information, etc, in there. Put it this way; £300-400 to recover the data isn't scaring me too much compared to losing the data.

The disk is not too fragmented - I did it a week ago or so. Backups apart, I'm pretty conscientious.

I have a Linux Freak-egg around the corner, so I may well try seeing what we can find armed with his setup. If I can find my email data, I'll be 90% of the way there.

I'll let you know how I get on.

V
For the future;

OS in one partition all data in another. On a separate disk is even better.

E-Mailing stuff you need to keep is quite effective. Only use an internet provider (yahoo / hotmail / etc.) and then they'll keep a backup of all your data as well.

Back up everything you don't want to lose. Always proceed as if someone is going to steal your computer at any moment. If you have any data you're worried about losing which is not on a disk, stick or another computer is going to be gone forever.

Any computer I own or use can be destroyed at any time; I will lose nothing I care about.
The recovery partition you see is IBM Rapid recovery with Rescue Restore. (IBM RRwRR)

UNder normal circumstances it wont reformat the data drive, just recover the windows program directories. Its clever enough to realise when you have a major failure and tries a refomat as well.

The "long time" and "head seek noises" is a clue. This is the classic sign of a major HDII (thats a "head to disk interface incident" - a head crash to you and me) and a disk seek calibration issue. you have lost a head.

you will need sector editing tools. the disk needs to go into a machine as a slave, onto a machine that is already running a working operating system from the primary boot drive.

Then using your sector editing programe of choice you can copy the strings of complete files from one drive to the other. Text files will be ok, some data files (like word docs) may be corrupt if all the string is not there.

Is this a desktop or laptop?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
It's a desktop.

The head seek noises are very much as I would expect if it was trying to get data normally, just that they clearly aren't getting to wherever they need to be.

Do you have names for any suitable sector editing tools that you have used or heard good word of? There seem to be a million of them.

V
www.runtime.org/hints.htm

I use disk explorer for NTFS, but getdataback for NTFS might be whan you want.

Dont forget, one working drive with an os loaded and your duff drive as a slave.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
If its that critical and you get stuck then I probably know a guy who works for me in the Warwick area who will have a go for you. He's pretty good, but no guarantees and I can't reach him until Monday. He'll also want paying, moderately, if he's successful.

E-Mail me if interested.

If you're doing it yourself then be careful. Move slowly and thoughtfully. Do nothing which cannot be undone. Take no risks. There will be no prizes for doing this quickly. If you're going to edit/delete/change then think again. A lot. And then again.
Hard Disk drive recovery - psi
I strongly recommend having a look at www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
It has saved my bacon a few times from really bad disks.
So you all know, I found some software that is currently grinding off everything it can find that is uncorrupted on the disk - it's making horrible noises, but data is being written to another drive. It's grinding exceeding slow, but I can live with that.

I'll keep you up to date.

V
Hard Disk drive recovery - Stuartli
The only time I had this problem a couple of years ago, one of my offspring used some partiction recovery software (the name of which escapes me for the moment) on the lines of:

www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm?gclid=C...g

to recover the data.

Wish you luck with your current attempt.
Thanks for all the advice. In order for future generations to benefit, I'll highlight what I did.

I used Stellar Phoenix. A long, slow plough through with that recovered 90% of my emails - my .pst file (where emails are kept by outlook) was corrupted, but a brief look through outlook help notifies you of a reindexing program that resolves matters.

So, I now had a bundle of data off the disk onto another machine - i.e. all copying off the wrecked disk, nothing being changed on it, to minimise the change of writing over data or fatally wrecking the disk by trying to write to it. Then it was on to the hard stuff. Off to grc.com to get a copy of Spinrite. Spinrite runs off a bootable diskette or CD and looks at your disk at the lowest level possible. It can carry out a range of activities, from reading the surface to check consistency, to recovering data using statistical methods to guess from magnetic flux what the contents on a sector might have been, through to a maintenance check where every bit of data is read, then written back onto the disk twice. Apparently, running this every couple of months is meant to reduce failure rates on disks.

That's currently grinding away exceeding, exceeding slow, finding that big chunks of the disk are beyond redemption. It is, however, reporting that it is recovering decent percentages of those chunks. Overnight, it's made it through 2% of the disk. Once that's done, I'll try Stellar phoenix again and see how much more I get off the disk. I also ran it on the "test and rewrite" level on another machine with a working disk and it took 3hrs for 120Gb. I think it's probably worth a look, if only because it looked at the wrecked disk and immediately said "This disk is in imminent danger of failure according to its smart self diagnostics unit" or words to that effect. I wonder if Windows would ever have told me that?

Anyways, thanks again for your help - I've succeeded to a large extent and now have back most of the data I needed.

Lessons learned:

1. I'm off to get a copy of Norton Ghost to create automatic backups.
1a. If you've never suffered the big crunch, ignore lesson 1 - it'll obviously never happen to you (like it was never going to happen to me)
2. Spinrite will become part of my regular maintenance in future as much as defrag is now.
3. Defragmenting the drive regularly helped a great deal.
4. Don't let the wife use the computer.
5. This site once again shows its quality
6. Someone on here has a receding hairline. No names, no pack drill.

V
Hard Disk drive recovery - malteser
If using Firefox, it has a nice little extension "Gspace", which will allow uploading of crucial stuff to a gmail account. It's best to create a new Gmail account for this, just to keep it separate. 2 MB of Gmail storage will hold a big chunk of the average user's needs.
Sorry if I am repeating information already posted by another forum member in the past

Laptop Hinges - T Lucas
Anyone know how to tighten up or replace the hinges on my samsung laptop as the screen will not stay upright on its own?Or point me in the right direction.
system32.dll infected with shorty adware - Clanger
Despite my care and use of multiple anti-virus and adware programs, Panda software doing an online scan reports that one of our computers' system32.dll is infected with shorty adware. Anyone know of any free utilities that will remove it? I realise that I shouldn't just delete the file like I would a nasty cookie.

TIA

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
system32.dll infected with shorty adware - Stuartli
It's also known as DNSCatcher. Removal advice (bottom of page link):

www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?doc...2
system32.dll infected with shorty adware - Stuartli
Also:

vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_134868.htm
system32.dll infected with shorty adware - Clanger
Thank you Stuartli
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
IE locking up - Xileno {P}
Someone please help, I'm going mad with frustration.
I have a fairly new Dell computer that I use exclusively for surfing. I used it on Wednesday evening and all was well. Used it Saturday and IE keeps locking up. I thought it was just having a bad day so tried again in Sunday and it's the same. IE will lock up, so then I have to try and close the window which causes an error message to pop up - something like You are trying to close a non-responding program. Then I get the option to send an error report to Microsoft.

If I unplug my modem (broadband) then reconnect it clears but only for a short while.

Now unfortunately my McAfee security package has just expired - literally by a few days and foolishly I did not re-subscribe. Do you think I may have picked up a nasty? What can I do about it? I know next to nothing about computers and don't know what to do next.
IE locking up - M.M
We had similar (with our Dell as it happens) and on ours it was an over keen Windows error reporting system. Windows was opening multiple copies of its error data-dump program which was then locking the PC more than the original error.

I understand this serves little purpose to the normal single PC user so have turned it off for an instant cure... where I found it to turn off though?? Hopefully someone will tell you how in a moment.

When you are having the problem you can see if it is the same issue by doing ctrl/alt/del and then selecting the running processes.... also clicking on the memory tag to see largest user at the top will reveal it. Think the problem one was called dumprep.exe

While all this was going on we often noticed our IE pages were growing to 5 or 6 times their normal memory usage. Hence the locking up.

HTH
IE locking up - M.M
Ahh here it is....

Control Panel
System
Advanced Tab
Error Reporting.

Check the box to disable error reporting.

HTH
IE locking up - Stuartli
Could well also be worth checking that it has been Disabled in Windows Services - type:

services.msc

into Run>OK>scroll down to Error Reporting>highlight>right click>Properties>Disable in drop down menu>Apply>OK.
The finished version of Firefox 2.0 is.. - Stuartli
...now available from:

www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/

If you decide to download it, just install over the present version and the configuration will be retained (apart, for the moment, one or two extensions not working properly or being available).
The finished version of Firefox 2.0 is.. - malteser
Thanks for the heads up on this Stuartli.
I've just installed it and while some of my extensions are not yet supported ,the addition of "tab close" on the individual tabs more than makes up for it!
I tried the final release of IE7, installed over my beta version and the wretched thing wouldn't work at all!
I can see no reason to keep using any version of IE apart from the need occasionally to render sites whose web developers refuse to recognise that the browser scene has changed for ever! The extension available to render in either Firefox or IE doesn't always fit the bill.
Good work by the Mozilla developers.
Oh - and why should anyone actually pay to replace the perfectly adequate XP with Vista? Linux fans - "Down boys!"

The finished version of Firefox 2.0 is.. - Altea Ego
So remind me

how many versions of firefix have been put out this year?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The finished version of Firefox 2.0 is.. - Stuartli
>>how many versions of firefix (sic) have been put out this year?>>

A great fewer than Microsoft security and critical updates.

In fact these security update are so essential that Microsoft proudly declares that they are released on the second Tuesday of each month and outlines them up to a month in advance.

recovering lost e-mails-crashed computer - Ian D
Hi there, my old Windows 98 machine crashed badly, I managed to remove the hard drive and slave it into another machine and then recover the old e-mails in the form of .dbx files which are now stored on a CD.

I now have a new XP machine running Microsoft Office Outlook and would like to be able to retrieve and open the e-mails and any attachments from the .dbx files, any ideas how I can achieve this??

Many thanks
recovering lost e-mails-crashed computer - Stuartli
Outlook's Help files should explain how to import files from other sources - it's extensively detailed in Outlook Express's Help section.
HD -Western Dig / Seagate / Maxtor - johnny
Is there any significant difference in reliability / performance with these manufacturers, they seem to retail at very similar prices?
HD -Western Dig / Seagate / Maxtor - Altea Ego
you missed out Hitachi (ex ibm)

Hard drives are like cars, everyone has a favourite they swear by, everyone has a horror story about one make.

I have been burned by all of them at some stage or other. So I always buy on price.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HD -Western Dig / Seagate / Maxtor - Stuartli
you missed out Hitachi (ex ibm)>>

Avoid IBM hard drives like the plague...:-)

This is the company that informed someone very closely related to me, when two lof its large capacity hard drives failed fairly rapidly when used in a server, that they were not intended to be used for several hours at a time.

It also took him considerable persuasion to obtain compensation from IBM for the abject performance of its products.
HD -Western Dig / Seagate / Maxtor - David Horn
I always buy the cheapest. However, the Western Digital 40GB hard disk that was in my webserver ran for four years under heavy load non-stop. According to the SMART diagnostics, it was power-cycled 16 times in it's entire life. When we upgraded to a shiny new Server 2003 machine, it was still going strong.
>>it was still going strong.>>

I've had sterling service from a success of Western Digital Caviar SE drives and the only reason for replacement has been to obtain greater capacity.

I've also always chosen the versions ending in JB on the model number as it brings a three rather than one year warranty.
HD -Western Dig / Seagate / Maxtor - Altea Ego
Given the cost of drives, warranty is not a problem. Warranty does not bring your data back. The drives are the same, so you might as well get them slightly cheaper.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>Warranty does not bring your data back. The drives are the same, so you might as well get them slightly cheaper.>>

Agreed, but no problem with proper backups.

Western Digital changed its policy on warranties about a year ago but, until then, retail packs only came with a one year warranty and JB (OEM) barebones versions three years. Latest warranty terms: support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

So you not only bought the JB versions at a cheaper price you also got the three year warranty - if one did pack up you didn't have to pay for its replacement within the warranty period.
Netnanny etc - Nsar
Hi,

Who's the daddy for parental control browsing software?

Netnanny etc - bell boy
i would have thought if the kids were bright you wouldnt stand a chance grandpa ;-)
Netnanny etc - Nsar
You've got to slow the little blighters down somehow.
Netnanny etc - Baskerville
There are only two good ways:

1. No computer in the bedroom: "public" rooms only.

2. Get a router with parental controls.

Plenty of ways to get round software. A friend's six year-old "social engineered" his password out of him so watch what you say. If live Linux disks start showing up you've lost the battle.
Netnanny etc - cheddar
Passworded router, the only way.
Netnanny etc - Nsar
Password router - wossat?

Got a wireless router.