Misplaced MOT certificate - David Horn
Hi,

I've managed to misplace my MOT certificate; it's due for renewal in the next two weeks. However, it's one of the old fashioned handwritten types, and so I'm unsure whether any other copy of the certificate exists. Ordinarily I'd just get the replacement MOT done two weeks early but I'm giving some friends a lift up to Glentress in Scotland tomorrow at short notice so can't get this done.

Can I rely on the garage to issue a duplicate if for whatever reason I'm asked to produce the certificate, or am I effectively driving without an MOT? Everything else (insurance/tax etc is fine)

Very many thanks,

David.
Misplaced MOT certificate - Doc
For old style certificate : If you have lost or damaged your test certificate, but know where and approximately when the vehicle was tested, you can obtain a duplicate test certificate from the MOT test station which tested the vehicle.

If you do not know where the car was tested originally, you cannot obtain a duplicate certificate. You will need to have your car tested again.

If the test station has closed down, your local Vehicle and Operator Services Agency office should be able to help.

The maximum fee for a duplicate certificate for a car is £10.00.

You still have an MOT effectively.

Misplaced MOT certificate - Bromptonaut
As others say, so long as you're certain about the expiry date the car's MoT is current. The paerwork can be sorted later in the unlikely event of you needing to produce it.

Notes on last old form cert I have suggest that VOSA will issue a duplicate based on reg and approx date of last test. No need to be certain of location of testing station, though as VOSA is regionalised some idea of whether it was John O'Groats or Lands End would help!!
Misplaced MOT certificate - local yokel
The car has a valid MoT , so you are not breaking the law. If given a notice to produce you have seven days to produce valid docs - so you'd have to get the certificate re-issued in that time. It's not like a tax disc where the offence is failing to display.

Are you likely to attract the undue interest of Plod in driving to/from Scotland?

This page explains the procedure for both old and new type MoT certs that are lost: tinyurl.com/mlr6o
Nope, I'm just paranoid. Never been stopped in my life. Thing is, the Leeds Uni minibus we had hired for our Glentress trip got TWOCed today so we've fallen back to cars. I'm giving people a lift and it's my responsibility to ensure that the car is in perfect condition mechanically and with regards to documents. This is what concerned me. If the car effectively had no MOT (because of the missing certificate), then I wouldn't drive.
Misplaced MOT certificate - bell boy
well we can be pretty sure the twoced minibus is now a burnt out shell
makes me sick watching look north night after night with scum burning stuff
Misplaced MOT certificate - daveyjp
If the minibus was comparatively new expect the engine and gearbox to have been put into an old van used by those touting for tarmaccing work. We had three new transits nicked from a compound, all were found with the engine and gearboxes missing.
Misplaced MOT certificate - Fullchat
If its due for renewal in the next couple of weeks why not just get the vehicle re MOT'd?
--
Fullchat
Misplaced MOT certificate - Chris M
He hasn't got time before the trip to Scotland.
Misplaced MOT certificate - Fullchat
Ahhhhh! Could always make a pre arranged test in Scotland ; )
--
Fullchat
Safely back, although the Scottish Borders need a motorway direct to the middle. Never, EVER take the A7(01). It might be classed as an A-road, but believe me, it's abou 6 inches wide and driving it is like having your teeth forcibly extracted with a jackhammer. The A68 is better only because it's straight as a die, but the 25% each side blind summits make it unpleasant to drive. Stunning scenery though, but I fidgeting the whole way back because I crashed painfully into a pile of rocks on the bike at Glentress. :)