Cleaning Electronics on VW - martin
Hi All

quick question
I want to clean up the window electrics components in my VW Passat, my local garage said this is a good job for enthusiasts to do themselves as it is very labour intensive. Apparently, faulty window action and switch failure is classic of dirty resistors and capacitors that just need a good clean off. Am i right in going ahead and doing this, do i have to take off practically all the door paneling to do so? And will i get myself into tricky water as i do not know the car very well and do not have a Haynes manual?

cheers
martin
Re: Cleaning Electronics on VW - Mike Harvey
Martin, I have found it to be poor connections much of the time, usually due to the 'hostile' environment in the door; plenty of condensation. It's not a bad idea to strip, clean and vaseline if you have the time, nor is it particularly difficult. There are 2 types of activator, a solenoid, and a motor. The most likely to break down are the motor types, which has a scalextric type motor. The commutator and brushes wear. I have fixed them in the past, but they are not usually designed to come apart, so you will have to carefully saw or cut them. I gaffa tape them back together. A note of caution, I'm not sure of your system, but some are also air operated as a secondary safety system. Increased air pressure in the door panel caused by a 'T'bone in the door unlocks the doors. This relies upon an air tight seal, and that plastic membrane will need to be put back properly, and the unit sealed if you have cut it open to fix it.
Regards
Mike
PS while you have the panel off, why not rustproof inside the door bottoms as insurance?
Re: Cleaning Electronics on VW - David M
And check that the seals aren't causing excess friction as they age - a light treatment of silicone along the edge of the seals can make a surprising difference (need to wipe glass clean afterwards, however).

David
Re: Cleaning Electronics on VW - PDP
Larger public libraries hold Haynes manuals for loan or photocopying if you don't want to buy one. They may be helpful for mechanical aspects but, as said before, can be patchy on electrics.
Re: Cleaning Electronics on VW - James
"dirty resistors and capacitors" work just as well as clean ones, but damp will corrode and increase resistance of contacts, which is perhaps what was meant. If everything is working OK now, I would just spray liberally with Duck Oil (which displaces moisture like WD40, but is longer lasting). Don't spray into the motor, though, if the brushes are exposed.
Re: Cleaning Electronics on VW - El Dingo (Martin)
Hi Martin,

Do you have any specific problems with the window operation?

Apart from lubricating the guide channels, if it isn't broken don't fix it!
If you do take off all the trim panels off the doors, you will most likely need to breach the plastic skin to get at the components inside - bad news if you don't repair it, as it helps to keep the water out of the car!

Martin.