Alfa GTV oil - Jim K
Does anybody out there have any idea what engine/gearbox oil to use for a 1997 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS. The local dealer has suggested synthetic engine oil, and is 'checking' about the gear oil. Some specs would be nice. Thanks
BTW the manual just says synthtic oil no mention of grade.
Jim
Re: Alfa GTV oil - phil
I've used various synthetics (Mobil 1, Castrol) in the same TS unit since I bought my GTV in '97. Does not seem to be critical choice. You can get it for half the price you pay here in french hypermarkets, by the way - same goes for all oils. DK about gearbox oil - I think HJ recommends changing after 6 months then keeping the same oil for life.
Re: Alfa GTV oil - Andy Bairsto
The reason grades are not mentioned is because it depends where you live and the time of year.Where I live in Germany you need the lightest of oils in winter as the temp often drops to -40c and in summer we can have +30.The gearbox on a gtv is is the same one they have used for 20 years or so and still has an awful habit of loosing syncro on second gear.
Re: Alfa GTV oil - Jim
Thanks for the info. sounds like I'll be stocking up with oil on the next channel crossing.
Jim