Three quick Qs about selling privately - PoloGirl
Sorry - I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Believe it or not, two people are interested in coming to see my car tomorrow.

I don't have 'any driver' on the car's insurance policy - the people need to show me they have third party cover to drive other vehicles before they get behind the wheel of my car, don't they? Or am I being super paranoid? (Don't worry - they are both young women who are coming to see him, but if they bring anyone else with them I will be taking Dad/other half with me on the test drive...might do so anyway if they don't mind)

Is there an ideal wording for a receipt, or is it enough to just write the amount, name, car, date and time? Someone at work said I should write 'sold as seen', but surely that's obvious?

One of the people said that they were very interested and have the cash to bring with them. That being the case, and if they like it, they can take the car with them that day can't they? I have a vague recollection of having to wait a couple of days when I bought my first car but that might have been because I had to get a bankers draft and that took a day or two. If I get one of those pens that checks the notes and complete the right bits of the V5, the car is theirs immediately, isn't it?

Thank you!

Three quick Qs about selling privately - Xileno {P}
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22385&...e
Thanks for that link (although I'm quite scared now!). The receipt on that thread is just what I wanted.

Three quick Qs about selling privately - stunorthants
Ask them to bring their proof of insurance. if they dont have any, explain that you cant allow the car to be driven uninsured but that you are happy to drive them around in it. This means you can drive around any issues the car may have too!

I always include both mine and the buyers address aswell as chassis number and engine number on the receipt. Seems over the top, but its worth doing.

If its cash then let them take the car there and then, less time to change their minds.
Three quick Qs about selling privately - stackman
Before they arrive invest a couple of quid in a counterfeit note detector pen and be sure to check the cash they offer. Otherwise take them to the bank while they pay the money into your account.
Three quick Qs about selling privately - robcars
Insurance. be careful, just because they may be covered to drive your car doesn't mean they are covered for any damage they may incur to it. may be better to take them for a drive as a passenger? But I wouldn't touch any car I couldn't drive! Checking their insurance is only ensuring they are legal on the road, is that your worry?

Sold as seen has very limited weight in law if car is sold with known problems and is of some value, or recent age. better to describe faults known and declared with a proviso under saying something like, other faults may happen but to the best of my knowledge are not known about!

I always prefer cash but you need to be comfortable you can spot a dud note or 2; not as easy as it sounds! maybe best to take cash at your bank so youn can hand it straight in if you are unsure of confidencewith cash. Duds will be spotted straightaway and you know your money is safe?

But good luck anyway!
Three quick Qs about selling privately - Dalglish
I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

>>

advice on insurance here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8930&v...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=14962&...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=16814&...f
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26512&...f

advice on receipts here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=14446
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19931&...f

advice on safety/security/ etc. in numerous threads, and iirc also somehere in hj's write-ups on the left, and also on may other publicly funded sites (eg. police, cab, trading standards, etc. ).

Three quick Qs about selling privately - Dalglish
iirc also somehere in hj's write-ups on the left

>>
as i thought:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/index.htm?blk=BuySel...y
then from the menu on the rhs column of that page, there are 7 sub-sections, eg.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/selling/BuySell_Sell...m

advice on safety/security/ etc. in numerous threads

>>
try searching forum for "selling cash cheque draft"

Thanks!
Well. The end of an era. Polo has gone to a new home.

On the plus side, all the looking after him, cleaning him and polishing him did him good - he went for a price that is almost twice what so called experts and guides thought he was worth.

Yes, I cried. Lots.
Three quick Qs about selling privately - local yokel
Go on, tell us how wrong we would have been....
Ok then I will let you play first.

1996 P, 1.4 SE. Metallic black 3dr Polo.
107,000 miles. MOT Dec. Tax Jan
Dent in passenger door from kissing fence post. Tiny bits of rust on the sills.
CD player, standard alloys, electric mirrors (no I don't know why he had them either)
No central locking, fitness windows. FSH

Give me a price... :)

Three quick Qs about selling privately - neil
£400
Three quick Qs about selling privately - Pugugly {P}
more than that - £750
Three quick Qs about selling privately - George Porge
£1100?
Three quick Qs about selling privately - Dry bearings
£750 and £20 of M&S. vouchers.
Three quick Qs about selling privately - bell boy
£395 and a roll of lino
I'd have given £650 - but you got £850 I guess.
to give you all a clue pologirl had it advertised on this site at £1695 the other week
i would only have given £395 and the roll of lino if she promised to wash and polish it every week
;-)
...and it went in Autotrader at the admittedly over-optimistic price of £1650 last week.

Keep guessing, nobody has got it yet.

Three quick Qs about selling privately - Pugugly {P}
Three quick Qs about selling privately - yorkiebar
if you got anywhere near that you did well.

Want to sell some cars for me on a comission basis?
If it went in the AT at £1650 then I reckon you gave in and let someone have it at £1375. I hope you are proud of yourself, taking money of a kid/old lady/numpty like that!
Ok, before this thread degenerates ;)

£1500

And no, it wasn't a kid/old lady or numpty. It went to a couple, and the man had owned VWs all his life and appreciated one that ran well, was mechanically sound and had been looked after (and also had new brakes, new discs, new suspension and new tyres!)

The milage was admittedly high, but even somone with only basic knowledge of cars has to know that 100,000+ on a Polo of that type/year (before the newer, less solid and less reliable ones) is still a better buy than a saxo/fiesta with half the years and half the milage. I let him have a really long test drive, she had a go too, and then I left them alone with it and a folder full of receipts and paperwork for as long as they wanted before they rang the doorbell and said they wanted it.

I wasn't expecting to get that much for it, but as I said, it was priced optimistically (at the top end of what others were advertised for on AT) and they were prepared to pay slightly over the odds for a nice example. I was pleased, they were pleased...and it just goes to show that a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

The sad part was that he was insured to drive any car and they paid cash, so they took Polo there and then and I didn't get a chance to say a proper goodbye! :(

Three quick Qs about selling privately - pmh
Is this the car that had nearly every panel replaced several years ago? Did the paperwork include the receipt for the excess?

I hope the buyer does not live too close to you!

Did you note the name of the Insurance company by any chance, I used to have this type of open certificate (Scottish General IIRC), very useful but it was discontinued by them about 10 years ago.

--

pmh (was peter)

Three quick Qs about selling privately - Dry bearings
If it's the same Polo that elicited about 160 posts about 2 1/2 years ago you've done very well in my opinion.Seems as though they wanted one t&t ready
to drive away.Can't honestly say I would have asked that price.Just my opinion though.
Three quick Qs about selling privately - Dynamic Dave
Is this the car that had nearly every panel replaced several years ago?

Having sold a car myself privately that had extensive body & mechanical repair work (##) carried out on it following an accident, the buyer was happy that the car was in good sound condition and bought it without hessitation.

## Two new front wings, rear offside door, repaired bonnet, new front crossmember and bonnet landing panel, headlights, spotlights & foglights, new front OS wishbone, rear axle beam, 2 new wheels & tyres, and at least 50% of the car resprayed.

Like Pologirl, I had owned the car for quite some considerable time after the accident, and the buyer was happy that I wasn't just selling the car because of the damage that had occured.

No idea if PG mentioned to them the damage caused to her little Polo, but the buyer asked if my car had ever been in an accident or had any repair work carried out. I was honest and open with them, and went into great detail of the work that had been carried out. As I said, the buyer was happy.
Three quick Qs about selling privately - Number_Cruncher
Well done PG! - I'm impressed, surprised, and awed.

When we come to sell our Astra, would you like to handle the sale?

Number_Cruncher
old saying but true saying...............................
theres a bum for every seat..................
Three quick Qs about selling privately - Avant
I have never been ashamed that the only thing I know about economics is the First and Only Law - that the right price is what some other poor sap will pay. Anyone who reads it for three years at university has my sympathy.

I think Oldman's true saying is a version of the same thing!

Anyway that was a terrific price to get for a 10-year-old Polo. PoloGirl has always said how fond she was of her Polo - what better way to sell a car than to communicate that to the buyer. Yes I think the buyers paid over the odds - but if they look after it and keep it for a long time it may not lose too much.
Three quick Qs about selling privately - neil
"And no, it wasn't a kid/old lady or numpty. It went to a couple"... of numpties! ;-)
- but if they look after
it and keep it for a long time it may not
lose too much.

and thats so polite it hurts...............
polos on this age fall to bits
they are made in spain
they are rotten
they suffer all types of gremlins from bodywork to engine /gearbox maladies
the girl dun gud,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i wouldnt answer the phone over the bank holiday period...................

hello its mr ikarea i dont know if you remember me but i bought a volkswagon polo off you and we are having a bit of a problem............................................
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm