Private sale- unpleasant experience - Ben {P}
Guy came to look at my car a few days ago. He looked around the car for well over an hour and i repeatedly stated he should look at every he wanted so he was satisfied. I gave him a test drive of as long as he wanted. He bargained a good deal- he was getting a cheap car, no question. I needed the sale so i accepted. He didnt have the cash so left a £250 deposit and signed a receipt Ok i thought. This was on friday night.

He arrives to collect today, and wants to look around the car again. Ok i thought, i hadn't used it as i had taken a deposit. If i had bought the car, i would of paid the money on the day. Then he starts picking. He says one button on the remote doesnt work, and there is a tiny dent that wasn't there before. All untrue. He demands £100 off. I decline stating the car is in identical condition to when he accepted. He demands i reduce the price despite his written promise to pay the balance. I decline. He moans on playing with the remote for 30 mins. I make a peace offering of a £10. He is not happy. He then threatens to call the police. I agree, i say its up to him. Then he goes quite and demands he deposit. I don't like hassel and aggrevation and explain to him the money he has cost me and suggest he takes part of his deposit back (£150) he is still not happy. I felt very awkward as i am staying at my mothers house who had started to become distressed. She came out to see what the trouble was. He then called me a liar etc my mum took offense, and said she would refund his deposit in full. Yet still he tries it on! She offers a cheque as we dont keep large amounts of cash, then he moans about a cheque garuantee card.

All this surprised me. He claimed ot have just qulaified as a doctor. What would others have done in this situation? And what were my legal rights in such a situation, i would imagine i could of been entitled to keep my deposit.

Anyone out there selling a mondeo what out!

Private sale- unpleasant experience - Chris M
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Don\'t let one pink fluffy dice put you off selling privately. I\'ve sold all my cars on privately and never had any trouble - touch wood.

As for your legal rights, I don\'t think it matters. £250 isn\'t worth getting a brick through the window - or worse!

Chris M
Exactly thats what i thought. He kept contradicting himself. I think if it happens again i will just have to say thats the price we agreed, if your not happy here is the cash please leave. I wasn't bothered but my muther got upset at the accusations of lying and dishonesty. He said i had promised the key worked perfectly and he trusted me. Yet the first thing she sas when he turns up and i invite him inside is, "right i want to look at this key again", then "im going to make deductions". And so it went on. I guess he thought i was a mug. He thought i looked so stupid he walked off claiming to be calling to find out how much a key cost at 8pm!

Just looked and there is now a small scrape on the bottom corner of the drivers door where he decided to start the car without asking and failed to notice it was in gear.

So the question is, should i accept a deposit next time, or just say car goes when i receive full payment only? Only sold two cars before.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - sean
Hello, Ben.

Your buyer agreed to buy your car, at the agreed price, and left you a deposit as sign of good faith.

If he then changes his mind, fine. You keep his deposit.

Simple as that.

Did he have a colleague with him, to vouch for condition?

Thought not, so his word against yours about dents etc.

Police not interested. It's a civil matter, nothing to do with them.

I've had similar incidents over the years, not involving cars.

If you were awkward, not only could you have kept the deposit, but you could have sued him for any other costs you incurred, like extra advertising.
Hi sean, he actually had his father with him, and as i later found out his mother who on both occasions he kept waiting in the car round the corner. But as you say hsi word against mine, as i would have my whole househld on my side. Just irritating. the dent on the bonnet he noticed is tiny. despite him looking for over an hour the first time, he might well not have seen it. I expect if he tries that with some people in the car trade he will regret it.

got two calls on the car today. Will have to re-advertise now, dont knwo whether to put due to time waster in the advert.

I think my mother got irriated as she had asked me to pick my sister up on sat, but i had declined as i did not feel i could use it having taken the deposit.

Ben
Private sale- unpleasant experience - king arthur
Sean is spot on in this instance. He made a contract with you to buy the car. If he breaks the contract, you are absolutely entitled to keep the deposit (that, after all, is the whole point of the deposit).

There are a lot of timewasters out there like this. But, don't be put off, as for every one of those there are ten decent, honest people who will turn up, satisfy themselves about the car, give you the cash right there and then and never bother you again. Trust me.
Just noticed your other post. I would always suggest someone to leave a deposit. This way, they have agreed to buy the car and should not change their minds. If you let people go away to come back later with the cash, they usually won't come back.

One tip, I picked up from my brother who is also in the car trade, let people leave only a small deposit, say £100 or maybe even only £50. If they do change their minds, quite often they won't even bother asking for it back.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Rob the Bus {P}
Ben,

I have no knowledge of the law, nor do I have any salient advice for you.

But I am sorry that you have been inconvenienced by this merchant banker. He is quite obviously an entire loaf short of a picnic and should not be let out by himself.

I know how much trouble you have had selling this car, and wish you well in the future.

Cheers

Rob
"Bucket o'lard"
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Steve G
Its wise to put on the deposit receipt - 'non returnable' and make sure they sign two copies one for you, one for them.
Some other things to put on the receipt:-

Balance due by day/month/year: This makes the buyer commit to paying the balance by an mutually agreed date. Once this date has passed the car can go back on the market (you keep the deposit).

Contact numbers for both parties (surprising how often this is overlooked).

If the buyer wants to carry out further inspections (AA/RAC their own mechanic) then its wise to point out that any other potential purchaser can still purchase the car unless they are prepared to pay you a small deposit to 'hold' the car for them.

Its also annoying when a buyer agrees to buy your car at an agreed price after test driving it and checking it over themselves only to phone up two days later saying that they now ant a independent inspection done ! and to top that after the inspection they will normally want money chipped off the agreed price because of what the inspection found.

Most of these points have been learnt by experience !

I hope things turn out better next time Ben.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - No Do$h
Ben, sorry to hear about your "tyre-kicker".

FWIW, when faced with "Ooooh, look at that dent!", I would suggest you point out that if he wants a dent-free, pristine car with no problems, he takes a hike to the nearest dealer and buys a new car. If, on the other hand, his budget is a little more modest, perhaps Sir would accept that a car that has actually been driven since first registration is (a) cheaper than a new one and (b) likely to have a few imperfections.

If pitched with just the right amount of humour, followed by an offer to drop another £50, you will often get your sale.

If you get any offers of a deposit in future, have an invoice ready, detailing the current mileage and confirming the price and the deposit (just draw up an invoice and leave spaces to write these in). If you get another chump like the last one, you just wave the invoice at him and tell him to take a long walk off a short pier. Insist on seeing and recording details from the drivers licence when taking the deposit (required for the V5) so you have something to wave back at him if he gets funny later. The local constabulary are quite happy to see people for threatening behaviour but wont help the plonker who wants the deposit back....

ND
Yeah i would of taken a little off, say £25, but he wanted, or should i say demanded a £100. He even conceeded he would not find a better car for the price!

So what is the best way to word the receipt? I gather now its good to note current milleage, driving licence details.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - No Do$h
Keep it factual.

Something along the lines of "I (name - driving licence number) Agree to purchase (vehicle description make model spec) for the sum of £ (insert ridiculoulsy high amount here).

At the date of this agreement, the (vehicle details) had an indicated mileage of (hahahaha, who's had the drill on the speedo cable).

A non-returnable deposit of (£very little) has been paid to (Mr B Chapman esq) on the understanding that the vehicle will be held, pending the payment of the balance of (£Stop laughing, you know it's worth that really...) until (mutually agreed date). I understand that the vehicle is sold as seen.

Signed

(willing punter)
date"

Or summat to that effect.

OMG - I've just seen the time and I have to be up in, oooh, 4 and a half hours.

ttfn!

ND

Private sale- unpleasant experience - leatherpatches
Personally, I'd have kept his £250 and told him to pink indigo silly sausages off.

If he got funny, I'd have intimidated him out of my drive.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I think you were misguided to return his deposit, mother-pressure or not.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - hootie
Well, I'd feel like that too, but if he's as rough/unreasonable as all that, and he knows where your mother lives, £250 isn't worth the potential aggro is it?

The guy just sounds like bad news to me, so I'd be happy to be rid!

"Appearances can be Deceptive"
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Rob the Bus {P}
£250 may not be worth the potential agro Hootie, but some of us less fortunate people cannot afford to lose that sort of money, even if we didn't really have it in the first place.

I take the point about him knowing where Ben's mother lived, of course.

Cheers

Rob
"Bucket o'lard"
The guy was about 5"7 and weedy. I think it very unlikely he would of benefited from a physical confrontation. But i always avoid confrontation. Further to this, although through no fault of my own, my actions in selling the car could of caused distress to my mum. I didnt want that to happen.

I just dont get what he thought he might gain. He demands reductions, i politly say no. He demands his deposit, i politely say no. This goes on for more than 30mins. By this time my temper was wearing thin though!

Just thought i would post here, so others might not have to endure this hassel. I will have my invoice pad all ready next time! Thanks for all the responses.

Ben
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Hugo {P}
Ben

Sorry to hear about your recent experience.

Despite the varied experiences I have had I would always sell my own cars privately.

Hear are a few of my experiences to prove you are not alone!

Experience 1 - Mr Smallprint Goes Away

Advertised a Mini - £120 "little work needing to be done for MOT" in the rag.

Chap came and looked at it, agreed to buy it, then disappeared for a week with no news. When he turned up again he said he was taking it for an MOT and if it needed much doing to it he was going to return in for a full refund.

I made 2 points:

1) In principle I could see his arguement but I always go (sold as seen when I buy cars privately - but I agreed BUT:

2) He has not helped me in messing me about in coming to pick it up. I could have sold it several times over and got the cash quickly.

He took the car and returned with a largish MOT failure sheet. We amicably agreed for me to retain the £20 deposit and for him to pay half the re - advertising costs.

I promply sold the car the next week for spares.

Experience 2 - Loadsamony... Er Someday Matey

Selling a van for my sister

Chap promply paid deposit for the van and we made arrangements for him to pick it up in a week.

Two weeks later I tracked him down and spoke to him. He agreed he had messed me around but was faced with a bit of a problem in getting the rest of the cash - He was not poor, but his money was apparently tied up here there and everywhere. If he'd just said "changed my mind, keep the deposit for your trouble" he may have saved more face. We amicably agreed a further deadline when he either came up with the rest of the cash or sacreficed his deposit. That time came and went and he never troubled me again. Obviously a man who understands the rules.

Experience 3 - Yes mate, We Defenately want it... no we dont... Er have you still got it?

Same Van

Two lads from a band of 4 came to look at this van. Agreed £825 - no deposit - to pick up next day with all the cash.

Phone call later that evening - "sorry don't want it"

Few days later - Have you still got it? Good, how about £800? My first view was to tell them to go forth, but instead I chose to accept saying "You've got 30 mins with cash and you take it NOW! As you may have guessed by now I really wanted to get shot of this van! 29 mins later I was £800 richer!

Experience 3 "Bit of trouble with the readdies mate"

My father who lives in a sumptuous corner of the South East agreed £1400 for his old Bluebird.

Chap turns up saying "I could only get together £1350, will that do"
"If you want the car you'll get ALL the money or it goes to someone else who doesn't play games sir" was my dads reply.

My father accepted the £1350 plus a £50 cheque, which duly cleared.

Experience 4 "I expect this £60 4 yr old washing machine to last you know!"

8 days after I sold our old washing machine to this idiot he phoned me up with an agressive tone saying it stopped working and expected me to get it fixed.

I advise him that it was a private sale and whilst it was sold in good faith I cannot be held responsible for its failure after. "These things happen with 2nd hand stuff" I told him.

He mentioned that another person in his position would put a brick through my window. In response I mentioned that someone in my position would be tempted to call the police and his employer and express concern about vailed threats etc (he worked in public transport).

I offered to swap in for another machine that I had just taken out of my rented flat. We agreed a time but I never heard from him again.

I suspect that he found a burnt fuse!

Ben - you're not alone.

Yes I agree about deposits contract law etc, but when you've got people coming and terrorising your family etc, it is often a lot more cost effective to put these things down to experience.

These idiots are the real losers I find. If you come across one get rid as soon as possible and report him for agressive behaviour to the Police if approprate.

H
Ben

Couple of things:

1) It may pay you to have someone with you next time you have a viewing - Another bloke, not your Mother. No disrespect to either of you but it seems that you could do with another on your side should you get involved in another debate. I am 6ft 4inches and not slim either! But I have often found potential buyers intimidating and it's sometines very difficult to read them as quickly as you need to. I think the chap saw you were not entirely confident with what you were doing and tried to take advantage of it. There's no need for that ahd it's good you made sure he didn't profit from it. He lost a perfectly good car for his stupidity.

2) It may be worth you mentioning to other backroomers the part of the country where this happened. I'm sure there are lots of idiots out there but, if this occured, lets say in Birmingham and the chap travelled from say Coventry then this wouldn't give any info as to the exact location of your Mother's place but people in or around Coventry beware.

H
Good points Hugo, I was thinking the same.

Rob - I can see you get my drift, and I certainly wasn't meaning to suggest that £250 is nothing, I hope it didn't come across quite like that - however, what Ben has really lost is his time, and his cost of advertising. He may well re-advertise and sell the car sweet as a nut with no problems, and in my book it'd be worth it. He might sell it at the advertised price (he could always stick on the cost of advertising, and come down again)

It sounds to me like this fella was determined to be very awkward on all counts - if he'd bought the car it wouldn't have surprised me if he'd have been back whinging about something.
So it'd be good to know whereabouts he's active.

Even if he's a weedy 5'7" it doesn't mean he hasn't got big mates, and anyone can lob a brick through a window, whatever size they are (and Ben's Mum had already been unnerved)

Despite the fact that the law might say you can keep the deposit, the reality is often very different when dealing with private transactions (the point about only taking a small deposit is a good one)

Reminds me of the time in Chester when we were in a queue for an open car park (about 8 cars in the queue) and a car load of yobs just drove right up to the front and took the next space. I was all for getting out and giving them a piece of my mind (despite the fact that a) we were outnumbered and b) they were all miles bigger than us) but Mr H said, it's not worth it - do you want to come back and find the car scratched???? (reminds me of another thread)

Although it goes totally against the grain - sometimes discretion really is the better part of valour.
(I just hope they broke down without any assistance, in the middle of a thunderstorm somewhere!!!!)

Private sale- unpleasant experience - joe
Exactly the same thing has happened to me. I sold a knackered yellow Metro for £900 (this was some time ago) and took a £50 deposit. Wrote out a receipt and the fella said he sould be back the next day with the balance.

He phoned first thing next day, having changed his mind. He said the car needed some welding (this had apparently occurred to him during the night, perhaps by divine revelation or perhaps because he had just figured out what all the black sticky stuff on the sills was hiding) and he wanted £100 off. As he was the first to view the car, and it had only just been advertised, I was keen not to give any money off just yet. He said he would be round later to pick up his deposit.

I was doing a law degree at the time, and had done my contract course, so I was not having it. I told him that if he could change his mind and reclaim the deposit, what on earth was the point of having a deposit in the first place? He might as well have left me with a bunch of bananas.

He duly turned up. We had an animated discussion on the rights and wrongs of it all. I did not give way, and he eventually stormed off.

Then, without me knowing, my dear old mum sent him a cheque for £50 as she "felt sorry for him", so of course I had to give her the £50 cash....

With the benefit of hindsight, I should have made it absolutely clear to him that the deposit was non-returnable, but I just thought that everybody would know this.
With the benefit of hindsight, I should have made it absolutely
clear to him that the deposit was non-returnable, but I just
thought that everybody would know this.

With the benefit of expeience Joe (sorry if I sound a right know all, but we do 'live and learn'!) it's best not to assume that anyone knows anything ~ as has been said above: when there's room for doubt, spell it out.

However, on the other hand as my signature says

Private sale- unpleasant experience - joe
"When there's room for doubt, spell it out"

Didn't think there was any room for doubt! I suspect that the buyer did not really believe he had the right to have his deposit returned either, he was just trying it on.

Anyway, if we didn't make assumptions in our everyday lives, nothing would ever get done, you cannot check that absolutely every little thing is understood.

Also, if nobody ever made assumptions, I would be out of a job (yes, I'm now a litigation lawyer!) Gentlemen's agreements are what keeps me in business.
Totally take that point Joe, but in the particular instance we were on about, the examples given about what to put on a receipt, and to actually say 'non refundable' wouldn't take five minutes.

Only sold two cars privately and had no troubles, but have built a house from scratch by employing all trades separately and acted as QC and site agent myself - that got done to my satisfaction (on time and on budget) and I didn't need recourse to law (sorry)

I specifically remember the time when the tiler thought he had an extra £300 coming to him, and was surprised when I produced the original written quote for the labour and the receipts he'd signed as the job went on.

Anyway, whatever, I think anyone reading this thread, who's about to attempt a private sale, will be able to take something from it, and I'm sure it wont be depriving you of another few quid ;)

Private sale- unpleasant experience - Jonathan {p}
The AA have a "contract" on their website. In my opinion it lacks a few things that need to be included but as a basis it is sound. I used this as a template when I sold mine. I added address details (for security) and also the deposit is non refundable. The buyer had no problem filling this in.

Maybe HJ should have a better one on his how to buy and sell cars bit

AA Seller's Contract

Print this contract and use it when you sell a car.

For private car sellers

Vehicle details

Make: ..............................

Model: ..............................

Registration No: ............................

Mileage: ..............................

Registration Document completed by buyer/seller Yes/No
Registration Document (V5) exchanged Yes/No
Additional Notes/Comments:

The undersigned purchaser acknowledges receipt of the above vehicle in exchange for the cash sum of £ ............... being the price agreed by the purchaser with the vendor for the above named vehicle, receipt of which the vendor hereby acknowledges. It is understood the vehicle is sold as seen, tried and approved by the purchaser without any representations, warranties or conditions express or implied whatsoever.

Purchaser .......................................

Vendor ..........................................

Date .............................................
Mark,DD

Any chance we/you could put jonothan's post in a special box somwhere for us all to use in future?

H
Private sale- unpleasant experience - eMBe {P}
I have always used a "contract" of a very similar fashion to that recommended by the AA (as given by jonathan above). However, I should add that I NEVER take deposits. Simple. No problem ever. The cars sell every time.

Having taken the fullest care to prepare my cars for sale and having priced them at a figure I think is reasonable, I have always found that the first or second caller buys it.

Invariably they ask if they can leave a deposit and collect it later. I always say no. Give me the full amount, and collect the car within 2 days, or I will start charging storage.

I make this plain on the phone before they come to view the car. A couple of times, people have turned up without the cash but liked the car and tried to convince me to accept a deposit. I told them to go away and come back with the money, and the car would be theirs if no-one else had bought it by that time. They have come back within the hour with the money to take it!
The guy was Asian (is that pc?) and claimed to have travelled from Wembley.

My mum was not standing by me. She came outside to move her car into the drive where my car was packed presuming the "buyers" had driven. She was offended by their accusaitons of dishonesty and decided she did not want them on her property and gave them the money and told them to leave. I will try and get a friend round next time though, but its difficult at short notice.

I will have to think about whether i take a deposit next time. I probably will , but it will be a small one. If i have a good experience in the future, i will collate all the information and post it here in case its any use for anyone in the future.

£250 is quite a lot of money to me at the moment as i am trying to scrap together money for my final year at university. I missed out twice on well paid over-time coming to meet this guy who was always very late. I turned atlest three interested callers. Advert re-appeared today, and i have got nothing, so i am not pleased.

My once went to buy a car for a dealer he was working for. Viewed it, agreed to pay full asking price. Left £100 deposit. Returned next day, with the remaining £500 (this was amny years ago) and the guy said the deal was off. He contacted his boss, who took offence, and remembering the vender was in the army telephoned his seargent to discuss this dishonesty. My dad drove home in the car.
The guy was Asian (is that pc?)

Hmmm - I'm going to post a very risky thread. I apologise if anyone should take offence and will accept - no request its removal in the event.

Having lived in the midlands, I have had the pleasure of knowing and enjoying the company of individuals from a variety of ethnic backgrounds including mine (I'm UK origin - white).

However, I did come across a number of cultural differences, which you learn to live with. Some of the rules that those cultures adhere to differ from our own, including the conduct of business.

This chap probably considers himself a good businessman, using every opportunity to chisel a few quid off the deal. I met several traders in my time that will not deal with members of certain minorities purely because of this cultural difference that exist.

BTW I am fully in favour of equal opportunities regardless of race, nationality, sex etc, but I think we all have to be aware of how different cultures mix in our society. Racism is the product of ignorence and we all need to be educated. I have to say that many of my friends of different minorities/origins do share this view.

Mark/DD please read, edit or even delete as you see fit.

H
Private sale- unpleasant experience - owen
Not wanting to get involved to deeply in this, but, also living in the Midlands, i agree with Hugo entirely. I have a number of friends in the building trade, all of whom experience regular problems when dealing with asians, e.g. the tradesman agrees a price with the (asian) customer, does the job, then asks for money. At this point the customer asks for a reduction in the price.

I'm not wanting to offend here, the point i'm trying to make is that as Hugo says, it is clearly down to cultural differences - the british are far too polite for their own good! However, as far as i'm concerned it is going back on your word, which to me is dishonest, and unacceptable regardless of culture.
One car selling story that went very smoothly.

I live in Cornwall and a chap came from Taunton (2 1/2 hrs drive). He asked over the phone "Please tell me honestly, is it good as I'm coming a long way to see it". I replied "Well I think it's good, the bodywork is in good nick and it drives very well - is there anything you're concerned about and I'll try to give you an honest answer". I answered his Qs and we then made arrangements.

He came with a friend, who admitted to me that the car was a good example - as did he. We agreed that a little welding on the sills may be needed for the next MOT. I offered to get it through for the asking price although it had 5 months remaining. He said "No, I'd prefer to give you £100 less on the spot and take it now if that's OK - it needs a little work but you've looked after it"

I have to say, I really enjoyed that transaction and I was £700 richer!

H
Private sale- unpleasant experience - HisHonour {P}
Ben has been given all the right answers here.

1. The man agreed to buy the car and left a deposit as a mark of a binding contract. The deposit is NOT returnable and if he then changes his mind Ben would be able to claim any extra expense involved in selling the car from him.

2. Any intimidation on his part to get his money back - i.e threats and innuendoes about knowing where Mum lives, etc. should be met by a call to the police. Demanding money with menaces is a criminal offence (something to bear in mind if you are illegally clamped, by the way).
Private sale- unpleasant experience - M.M
Have to agree with you on this one eMBe. All the posts above about what to put on a deposit receipt and the legal possibilities are interesting but worthless when it comes down to a private sale. Most folks just want to sell the car and avoid hassle...so never take a deposit.

Look at it this way....

Many private sales are under £1K and they get more and more rare over perhaps £6K.

At the lower figure a couple of hits on the bank/credit cards in the cash machine and tapping up the good lady will get you enought to go equipped to buy.....and any serious buyer at the upper figure should go into their bank and arrange the withdrawal or loan which will take less than an hour.

So there is no excuse for the buyer not having the full amount of cash available at the time they want to purchase.

I really can't see the point of taking a deposit as the car isn't sold, it just enters a frustrating unresolved state. If you are daft enough to take a deposit on Friday evening from a "buyer" who needs to sort the funds on Monday it is likely you'll lose a whole set of prospective customers over the weekend.

A small deposit of say £25 is so low many will be prepared to walk away from it if they find a better deal...or get drunk on Saturday and forget they ever viewed your car. Taking a large deposit of £250 is asking for doorstep aggro when they come back for it.

When selling I expect any viewer to have the full cash amount if they seriously want to buy. I may give them a short period of grace (say two or three hours) to collect the funds but would rather do it by judging/trusting them not by taking deposits.

Lastly there is only one time when I will ever get down to the best price...when the buyer has all the cash and can take the vehicle away there and then....otherwise I always hold out above my bottom line to cover the aggro factor.

Oh and Ben your car would sell within 48hrs from the advert if it was the right price!

M.M
Private sale- unpleasant experience - AM
Hi

I read this thread with great interest. I actually know the chap in question and he will be giving his side of the story in due course.

The course of events given by Ben are incorrect. In fact I was the person who was rung at 8pm. The remote central locking does NOT unlock the car so there is therefore a problem with either the key or the car. Ben only has ONE key not the master key so the advice I gave was that he may not be able to get a spare key withoiut considerable expense.

I also understand that there were new dents on the car that were not present on initial viewing.

However I do acknowledge that a deposit is NON refundable and this was the advice that I gave over the phone.

I think that everyone should await the other side of the story before forming an opinion on a very mild mannered chap who is a qualified doctor. He was in fact very upset himself that the car he was about to pick up was not in the same condition that he viewed it in.

Regards

AM
Private sale- unpleasant experience - J Bonington Jagworth
Ooh, interesting! I'm sure Ben can speak for himself, but he did say that the customer "looked around the car for well over an hour" during which time he apparently failed to notice that there was problem with the key! I'm glad he's not my doctor...
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Baskerville
that there was problem with the key! I'm glad he's not
my doctor...

I'd be more worried if he was my mechanic. Cars and people are really quite different I've noticed... ;-)
"Cars and people are really quite different I've noticed..."

Touché! I take your point, but both require similar powers of observation, which seemed a bit lacking in this case...
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Andrew-T
Isn't the usual procedure that, if car is not in the condition originally advertised or seen, buyer accepts originally agreed price but seller fixes the agreed defects? If seller won't afford that, the deal is off - and presumably deposit may be refunded. For that reason the deposit should be nominal, but ought to offset the nuisance cost of re-advertising.
Seeing as none of us here apart from Ben, or AM's friend have been in a position to inspect and pass opinion on the particular vehicle/transaction that was the initial subject of this thread, I had rather thought it had become the subject of more general advice on how to go about making a private sale?

I'm not sure really that the moderators would want the thread to become subject of a dispute between two private individuals?
Especially as neither point of view could be proven in cyberspace?

I can see it's only fair that if this has been brought to his attention, then he would want to put his side of the story in order to appease his feelings. However, as he's not been named, no real damage has been done to his reputation with the outside world. It would just be one person's point of view against another.

On the other hand, the comments and advice regarding private sales have been informative and a cause for thought.

Private sale- unpleasant experience - Dan J
I'm not sure really that the moderators would want the thread
to become subject of a dispute between two private individuals?

True hootie - but currently it isn't a dispute and I think AM/his contact has every right to put his own side across. I am not going to be judgemental or, most likely even post whatever opinion I do form afterwards, but I definitely want to hear both sides to this story...
It's clear now then Dan - wasn't meaning to tread on your toes - I guess I've spent far too much time refereeing teenage disputes when it was impossible to get to the crux of the matter.

You can probably get my drift? (not that I'm equating this to a teenage dispute)

After spending some time on a message board where the slightest thing got modded or delled even when it had been in the newspapers and on tv news, it is nice to know just where you stand before going to the bother of typing stuff out.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Altea Ego
Based on his previous posts, I have no doubt that Ben is honestly telling his side of the tale as he sees it. I also have no doubt that the sellers point of view when it comes will be honestly told. So as such it will be a fascinating insight into how communication can go wrong, and how two people can see different sides of a dispute. As long as it doesent descend into argument and abuse - Let it roll I say.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Mark (RLBS)
I am watching this with care.

It is fair that the other side of the story is given, and we should give due space and attention to that.

However, at the slightest sign of a slanging match or it going further than I would like I shall be into this thread with my axe.

A difficult subject to approach calmly, but an interesting and learning one nonetheless.

If everybody is calm and objective there should be no issue.

But make no mistake, I will not hesitate to edit/delete if I think it needs it.

Mark.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - leatherpatches
I am watching this with care also, as it is blatantly obvious that AM is a fake.

I'd go into a discussion of probabilities if I thought it would be worth it.

On the original issue, Ben should have kept the deposit, claiming it against extra costs and missed sales, then told the chancer to sling his hook.

He didn't, because he wanted to avoid the hassle. Fair enough. Chalk it up to experience.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Ims
I feel I must add something here as I was with AM this morning at work when he posted his message here. I am a friend of both AM and Mr H. ( the buyer). All 3 of us went to medical school together in London. I was there at AM's house in the evening when AM took that phone call from Mr H. The advice that AM gave him was exactly that which he has posted. Very sorry to read that some people think AM is a fake but he is not. Not only that but Mr H is one of the nicest and honest people I have ever met. We both urged Mr H on the phone this morning to post his side of the story so that people can form their own opinions. I dont know anything about buying/selling cars but I think its only fair that Mr H put his side across.

Kind Regards

Ims
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Phoenicks
This could go on forever! He's a nice man, no my mates a nicer man. no he's even nicer. and so on and so on. Please, give us all a break. The fact is that someones friends are always nice people to them and there will always be two different views. Also what does it matter whether he's a qualified doctor or not. frankly it doesnt specifically make them more honest. Just more educated.

In this instance it seems that an inexperienced seller and inexperienced buyer both made errors - In checking the vehicle. in processing the deposit and receipt (or rather lack of) and so on.

I dont know any of them but i would err towards the seller and the rules of selling. At the end of the day if the buyer doesnt spot the dodgy 'plipper' and the dents then it lays with him. It isnt the sellers responsibilty to point them out. its the buyers duty to find them. He could have told them about it, but if you;re selling a car and badly wanted to sell it and need the cash you might overlook them as well.
I think this is getting fairly pointless now. Perhaps the thread should be pulled appart from the bits regarding how to write a good receipt, and take payment etc. Perhaps we could come up with a draft that others could use. I dont want any hassel, that is why i returned the deposit. I should of kept my post more theoretical. But i do stand by my account. Its in the past now. I just hope something constructive comes out of this post, so save any future agrevation for others.

I did explain the cost of replacing the beeper to him when he viewed, and the costs i quoted were accurate. If he was perfectly satisfied it all worked why was the first thing he said i want ot look at it again? He also inspected the spare wheel, something i had voluntarily shown him and his father. It was obvious he was picking to get money off. My mother heard the entieity of the conversation to his friend. I wont speculate on that.

I will ask the moderators to pull this thread as i have gleamed the information i was after.
Oh and i disassembled the key. the problem is with the contact on the unlock button. It has come loose. i will replace the fob if i get time. The circuit on the car must be fine as he was able to unlock the boot the five times he wanted to open it, and lock the doors and turn the alarm on. I was not aware of the problem opening the car as i had not used it for ages, as i explained to him. the car was totally covered in dust due to it being parked under a tree on my drive in the exact poition he had seen it. I do not understand how the slight dent could have been caused without disturbing the dust.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Godfrey H {P}
Shame if it gets pulled I have learnt a lot about private sales from the more experienced in private sale Backroomers. When I come to sell my current car privately in a couple of years time I will be applying the knowledge gained here. I shall not be taking deposits after what I have learnt here. It will be strictly first with the cash gets the car.
"It will be strictly first with the cash gets the car."

Absolutely! And a valuable lesson, although of course it won't stop some of us from making wholly incorrect snap judgements of character. I still do it, even though I worked for a short time in Parkhurst prison and made the acquaintance of several (quite pleasant) murderers...
I haven't used any names deliberately as i understand there are two sides to any story. I welcome the other guys opinion on this if he wishes to post. I just hope he refrains from any personal references such as names and places etc.

The internet is a funny place. None of this could of even taken place! Who knows!
>I worked for a short time in Parkhurst prison and made the acquaintance of several (quite pleasant) murderers...

Bet you gave them their deposit back when they asked?
"Bet you gave them their deposit back.."

Naturally! But they were always more interested in the keys.. :-)
"Bet you gave them their deposit back.."
Naturally! But they were always more interested in the keys.. :-)

Lol nice one JBJ
Private sale- unpleasant experience - eMBe {P}
Regular backroomers who know my style will be aware that I always advocate caution when we have heard one side of the story. I sometimes try to indicate what the view from the opposite party MIGHT look like. In this story, the fact that the buyer was a newly qualified Doctor, ws weedy, was only a shorty, or is a very very nice man, or of a particualr race, are irrellevant.

In this instance, I replied to teh effect that the best course of action was never to accept a deposit, and refrained from commenting on Ben's tale. Now we can usually form an opinion about a person from the way they tell their story and I judge that Ben is probably saying things exactly as he saw them.

From Ben's account, it is also apparent that the buyer saw things differently. It seems the buyer believed that the car had more damage than he had seen on first viewing. How/when that damage got there is not clear. Also, there is a dispute about the keys and a 2nd master key.

So unless we were there, or tapaed it all, we cannot be sure precisely what was said and agreed. (Even then, there can be doubts - witness the scene yesterday with a BBC journalist and a Committee of MPs, all saying they said/heard different, and the death today of an honourable, honest, top-scientist whose words were being queried !)

The lessons to be learnt from Ben's tale are:
1. Don't take deposits.
2. Even if you agree a full cash sale, make a signed agreed note of what defects were present on the car and state categoriclly which is the most significant defect; and get the buyer to sign that unless other obvious defects more major than taht come to light within an hour, there is no going back (i.e. similar terms as buying at auction).
3. Make sure that the buyer understands that once the money has been exchanged, then car and its condition are his responsibility. If he does not remove the car immediately, that is all at the buyer's risk; any scratches, vandalism, accidental damage, or whatever, are nothing to do with you (unless it is proved to be due to your negligence).
This is getting silly.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Alias
Hi all,

Right, i am the buyer in this 'unpleasant' scenario...sorry for not replying sooner. I visited this website for the first time only yesterday

Firstly, an impression has been created that I was intimidating, confrontational, and some sort of shrewd businessman. I think the seller would agree that this is all wrong. Bricks through the window? Threatening your mother? I think not - 5?7?? and weedy remember! Thanks Mr seller, I thought you would?ve refrained from pointless personal insults??!! U also disclosed my location and the car I wished to buy, aswell as my profession. Would you like me to disclose your location? I thought not, especially since it?s still for sale. And I DID NOT.

And our professions matter little, except to say u could probably trust a doctor more than a salesman...but that is not the point here...from what i've read this site is about passing on advice and information about motoring... Anyway?

Ok...my version of the story is as follows...i saw the car on friday night, liked it, a few bumps n bruises, expected in a car almost 5yrs of age. Had a damaged rear bumper that would?ve fallen off on impact with a shopping trolley! And the left wing mirror could not be operated from the inside (he denied ever noticing this!!) Test drive was ok. Now, it came to the key, the seller seemed reluctant to hand it over. I wanted to check all the buttons, so i asked 'do all the buttons work?' he said yes. I asked him to make sure and to show me, yet again he wasn't handing me the key. So i asked, 'can u press the boot button'..., he had to press it 10 times or so, but it eventually worked, but only when standing by the wing mirrors and pressing the button at a funny angle! I know?a bit bizarre. I made the naive assumption that he probably didn?t want to give me the key because i hadn't strictly 'purchased' the car, my clear mistake, I trusted him, he seemed like a nice guy. This is the first car i've ever bought, and I have learned from my mistake ? snatch the key for yourself next time!

So we agreed a price, he wanted a deposit. He knocked off £100 for the bumper (after much deliberation, he initially claimed £25 to replace it, crap I thought, at least £120 labour inclusive) and a bit for the mirror. Re: deposit, I wasn?t sure, but fair enough, he might get another customer, my dad offered £100, he wanted more, £250 in fact, which was 10% of the value of the car! I thought this was a bit high, but I trusted him, and didn?t anticipate any future problems. He drove me to the closest cashpoint?job done. Luckily, when just about to drive home, my dad ordered me to go back and get written confirmation of the deposit, thank god (despite the seller having sold two cars in the past, it was me that wanted written evidence).

So Tuesday arrived, I was excited at purchasing my first car. I took the keys, cunningly, like last time, the car was already UNlocked. I didn?t realise this on Friday that maybe there might be a problem with the locks which he was trying to conceal. So I locked them with the remote ? it worked. I tried opening the doors with the remote ? oh dear, no sound, nothing, all four doors remained locked. I asked the seller ?I thought u said the remote worked?? The seller didn?t clearly respond, he looked at the floor, or muttered something like ?It was working the other day?? I wasn?t concentrating at this point, I was disappointed, I felt cheated. So I kept checking the key to unlock the doors ? it still didn?t work, not a single time from any angle! I said this may cost at least £50 to correct, the seller argued the battery was at fault and would cost less than £10 to fix (impossible, couldn?t be the battery since the ?lock? button worked). So to get a new one programmed etc. ? I checked it with AM ? he agreed it?d be expensive, he also said there should be a MASTER KEY, which there wasn?t. I have since found that Ford charge another £80 or so to get a new key WITHOUT the master key. Oh dear, by this time I wanted to pull out, but I had stupidly paid the deposit, and I wanted to stick to my word. I had made an agreement to buy the car. So I returned to the car, tried the lights ? oh dear ? the lights weren?t all working, the seller promised to fix the lights by Tuesday, again, my foolishness, I believed him.

However, he was prepared to knock off NOTHING for the faulty key (until the end after the mother (not him) had kindly returned the deposit; he offered £25 off ? what a joke!). I wasn?t happy. I surveyed the car again, prancing around all the corners, bumper to bumper, and then I noticed a dent on the bonnet, a dent and scratch on the front bumper, which was now also loose. I now wanted to pull away from the deal, and asked for my deposit back. It was my belief the condition of the car had changed over the weekend. He denied it, as did the mother, but he lied about the key and hence he had now lost my trust.

His mother listened from the kitchen, which I didn?t mind, and I asked the seller to please call her out, I would like to explain to her my side of the story. The seller objected. The mother eventually came out. I told the mother her son lied about the key, he then bizarrely responded, ?I didn?t tell u that the key remote worked the locks? (ie. he didn?t deny they were faulty), after which the mother told her son off! BTW, we did NOT ask your mother to guarantee the check, it was her choice, ask her yourself, we did not doubt her honesty for one single second, she?s a teacher, as you pointed out.

Ultimately, I believed the seller was not genuine, faulty key (how can someone not notice the doors don?t open with the remote, and that a wing mirror was broken?), and that the condition had changed over the weekend (he insisted otherwise?possible ?but unlikely, I looked for a half hr hour all over the car and picked up every other faulty bumper, scratch and dent!). So I could not believe him, who knows what else I had missed.

So, as a private buyer?I have learned to keep the deposit small?I was too polite and trustworthy to take his word for things?such as the key working?my mistake ?BUT I HONESTLY BELIEVED THE CONDITION OF THE CAR HAD CHANGED OVER THE WEEKEND and was therefore entitled to my deposit. But we could argue forever. I too didn?t want any hassle, why would I? I am not that kind of person. I just wanted my money back. I felt cheated. I have never trusted dealers, but now this mistrust extends to private vendors too.

We have all learned something from this forum, I definitely have. I did not mean to cause any offence to the seller at all, and I really was not at all intimidating. And I sincerely hope he sells the car. In the end, I guess we both have strong cases to make.

Sorry this is a bit long?u must be bored by now?interestingly, I bought a Mondeo yesterday, the seller didn?t ask for a deposit, and a MASTER key was present?and the vendor kindly played around with all of the buttons to show they worked?makes u wonder?

Cya 
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Pugugly {P}
I think HisHonour should now deliver a verdict.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Dwight Van Driver
How can he P.U. for in my book it is one against one. An independent with information on some of the checkable facts could point me one way or the other?

DVD

PS Drink plenty of water during the night after a session. Works wonders.
Blinking heck DVD, what luck though to have both parties posting about a grumble and having a judge present ! There was some irony in the post....! Shows the depth and breadth of the BR though ! (glug, glug, glug)
Private sale- unpleasant experience - johncyprus
If the buyer's description is even half accurate the Mondeo may not be in good condition. Is this the Mondeo that Ben advertises in HJ's classifieds (to his brothers and sisters )described in "good" condition?
John
I'll let this run its course for today. Then I shall lock it.

I shall let it remain as a sobering lesson to all involved in these things, from whichever side, as to how misunderstandings and difficulties can arise.

So, you have about 12 hours or thereabouts.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Godfrey H {P}
Well done for leaving it for people to learn from. I've learnt a lot about how I should conduct my future private sale.
After scanning through the thread today I think two valuable lessons have been learned, One for the buyer and one for the seller. These are not aimed soley at the individuals involved.

Start with the buyer:

You should assure yourself that you are entirely satisfied with the condition of the car including all accessories etc. If you suspect that something may not be quite right then question it before you part with any money.

Make notes on the condition of the car, rear bumber etc. How bad is it, would you need to replace it? etc.

Also make a note of the mileage on the mileometer. If it gets driven in between, you'll pick it up on this.

I have to say mr buyer, after reading your post I would have probably tried to negotiate with the buyer over the % of deposit to be returned. I suspect in your exitement to buy the car you may not have looked over it propery, sorry. I made this mistake when I bought my Xantia from the auction. I failed to notice some scratches on the driver's door. Three hours later SWMBO drove me to the auction to pick it up and notice them when we were filling up with petrol. For the auction house to be guilty of post sale damage, they would have had to have the correct touch up paint and blow dried it prior to me collecting it!

The seller:

Take a small deposit, enough to pay for re advertising etc. If you get any calls before the car is sold, keep phone numbers etc. You can always call them back.

Also, be upfront with any obvious defects. You may not have done, but don't drive the car after someone has agreed to buy it. Make a note of the mileage and agree this with the buyer. Explain that, except for an emergency, you will not drive the car before he picks it up. If you do have to use it, give details and justify the trip. (ie child broke her arm etc). Above all make sure that the buyer has had a good look over it.

I do think that you were mostly in the right here.

I suggest the two of you "shake hands" over the internet and politely agree that both have a good learning opportunity!

Happy motoring!

H
Thank you Alias for not mentioning my address name etc. I apologise if you think I personally insulted you. Thanks for posting your side of the argument I have learned form it and this thread. I'm glad you have too.

Ok I will address the faults, then the facts of the deal, and then conclude.

The key. This appears to be the start of the problem. You say when you viewed I had trouble with an intermittent key. Therefore you were in full knowledge of this at the time you agreed the deal. If you were not happy at this point you should not have agreed the deal.

I said the battery did work. I explained if the battery fails the key would require full reprogramming. The battery is ok; just one contact on the lock button is faulty. You had the keys after the test drive. I would have hoped you had taken the opportunity to satisfy yourself as to the working of the remote. You asked if there was only one key, I said yes.

Many times I stated you should look at the car until you were satisfied yourself as to the condition. I asked if you were happy with the deal. You agreed and shook hands. Then signed the receipt and gave me the deposit.

The mirror is not broken. The plastic inside the rubber bit that enters the inside of the car is broken. I had not spotted this. Alias looked over the car carefully as anyone should and spotted this. I agreed it was damaged and gave Alias some money off.

The bumper has a very slight crack right at the bottom below the main part and is not easily visible. Alias was fully aware of this. I offered to jack the car up and put it on stands so he could inspect to his satisfaction. A friend has recently purchased a rear bumper for his brother for £88 pounds. That is the price I quoted Alais. It appears we are at issue over this. I have driven round in the car for the last few months like this, so have my family. I am more concerned with mechanical condition.

Regarding the deposit you first wanted to go away and think about it after shaking on a deal. Then when you heard someone else was coming to view you offered me cheque. I declined. You then offered £30. I declined. If you were not happy with leaving the deposit I asked for you should have walked away. In the end you left me with the deposit and a signed receipt.

I can assure you the car was in identical condition to when you viewed. I suggest you look at future purchases in a better light. In future if I take a deposit I will include the exact mileage on the receipt to remove any doubt.

You did ask me to bring my parents out after you threatened to call the police. I agreed that you should call them if you wanted. I stated the sale was of no interest to my parents. Had my father come outside I can assure you he would not have been pleasant to deal with. I saved you from this unpleasantness.

Re the light, one filament on one bulb had gone. I said I would replace it, I did not have time. I offered Alias the money to do this himself. I did offer Alias some money off he was not happy with this. Later I spoke with Alias's father about the money side as I found him more pleasant to deal with. He at the end before the deposit was refunded suggests the £25 off price. I did not want to move much as I had already given you a significant amount off the asking price.

I offered you £150 of your deposit back in the end. I am now left with a car with a scratched door and have to pay for re-advertising and all the extra time and hassle that will now be involved. You refused this. I am 22 I do not get told off by my mother, and do not take her to do deals with me. I did not have the full deposit in cash to give back to you as I explained. I agree regarding the guarantee card and the cheque my mistake.

It appears you didn?t trust me, so its best we didn?t do a deal. I guarantee the car was I identical condition though.

I wish you good luck with your new car. With your negotiating skills I imagine you got a good deal.

So the moral of the story is no deposits! And if you do make it small.

No hard feeling Alias.
Sorry Ben,

Slight mistake in my previous post. I didn't mean to give the impression that you may not have been upfront about the car's condition. From reading the previous posts, I certainly believe that the buyer had every opportunity to inspect the car for himself and that you could not hide anything you knew about.

After having read Alias's post and all your postings, I am still on your side here. I am more of the opinion that Alias did not look over the car properly on first inspection, then spotted more defects when viewing it again, coupled with nagging doubts.

Sorry Alias but I know of a number of situations where this has happened (including my own). It's very easy to see the "shine" on a car and then start noticing defects when you see it a second time. This is your first car purchase and I'm afraid you've probably jumped to a few conclusions here.

In addition, you say you weren't agressive. The next question is, do you feel that your long post here was agressive. I think it is and Ben's last post was not. If you seriously felt you had been cheated (a rather quick conclusion) this may well have boiled over. Inexperience on your part here I'm afraid. I've seen it before.

Alias, in your position, I would probably have seen fit to either:

Gone ahead with the purchase taking the defects into account as being fairly minimal (which they seemed to be) or:

Left £100 of the deposit on the basis that. "£250 is a lot to walk away from, however I accept that the decision to buy was not as informed as it could have been. Hence as a gesture of goodwill I would be prepared to help with costs incurred WRT the sale having fallen through." (A buyer did this with me once and we ended the situation on good terms).

Instead, for the sake of a few quid, all this bad feeling has been generated, can't be good can it?

H
Private sale- unpleasant experience - the gardener
I suppose that in a perfect World everyone would service their cars before selling and deal with all the minor little faults and then there would be no squabbling... And life would be so dull.
I think that you realise these things as you grow older. A car is only a funny tin can on wheels and money is strange stuff too, come to think of it.
I did not find Alias' post agressive. I'm glad he gave his side. I now know how i need to do business to avoid even the possibility of a mis-understanding.
My opinion here is that the buyer was at fault. If Alias handed over a deposit, he has to all intents and purposes entered into a contract to buy the car. He should have satisfied himself with the condition of the car before handing over a deposit. I should add that a 10% deposit is not at all unreasonable.

As far as the discovering of new scratches and/or dents is concerned, I think it much more likely that these were already present and simply missed on first inspection. Even I do that when buying a car, I think to myself I've bought an immaculate car and yet when I get it home I start noticing small dings and scratches that I could have sworn weren't there when I first saw it, but must have been.
"..when I get it home I start noticing small dings and scratches"

Too true - usually when you first wash it, in my experience. In fact, I've often thought that I should offer to wash a potential purchase before deciding, but I've never quite had the nerve!
We had a woman look around our house (for sale) so many times that we thought of offering her a night's B&B just so's she could make her mind up!!!

I know a house is a bit more of a decision than a car, but....

(I think she came to look 9 times) In the end she did buy though, and was extremely happy with it.

I've learnt a lot from this thread, what I've said has not been personal, merely speculation on possibilities - at the end of the day, none of us know the car or the people in question, so it's all been academic for the readers.

Better luck next time guys!

Private sale- unpleasant experience - clariman
Thank you Alias for not mentioning my address name etc.

It\'s best never to use your full name in internet discussions!

Best wishes with selling your vehicle! Can you not trade it in instead and save all the faff?

clariman
The name business is something i am now fully aware of. I joined many groups like this years ago when i was very naive. I have thought about changing it many times, but people will then not know who i am. The name i post under might be my name, it might not. Hmm

Private sale- unpleasant experience - sean
I'm just reading this month's "Car Mechanics".

A couple were selling a Lamborghini lookalike for £28,000

Shock No.1

I could understand a price like that for the real thing, but this was a glorified kit-car, albeit a highly desirable one.

A chap came who said he was an agent, buying on behalf of a garage dealing in luxury sports cars. He gave them a banker's draft and drove off with a satisfied grin.

The couple went to their bank and paid the draft in.

Then to the travel agent and booked an instant departure holiday.

Three days later, the bank rang their folks. A forgery. A good one, though, so undetected initially at the bank. The folks rang our couple who had to return home.

The Insurance Company will not pay out, as the car was not stolen but was taken with the keys etc.

Shock No2.

They went to the police. Unsure whether it's stolen. probably a civil matter. Can't help.

Shock No3.

Off to a solicitor. Sounds like theft, but can you afford my fees of £5000 to pursue this, if we can't recover car or money?

Shock no4.

Makes you think.
It just goes to show, as i learnt from HJ's book how to buy and sell cars- never accept a bankers draft outside banking hours, and always phone to check its genuine!

Nasty story. I have heard of people who have demanded big depsoits off customers, then stripped the car of all the decent bits, replacing with knackered parts etc, in the time the customer takes to collect. One reason, i personally, would not leave a deposit.

Tell them to go back to the cops - there are two (criminal) offences 1. Obtaining Property by Deception - or even a straight theft 2. Forgery in respect of the Draft..civil case my eye.
I am very surprised the police were not interested. This constitutes theft, forgery and fraud, and probably gaining pecuniary advantage by deception.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - clariman
I am very surprised the police were not interested.

Perhaps they should have mentioned that said conman, on driving away, was, shock horror, speeding!

The police may then be interested!

clariman
"probably gaining pecuniary advantage by deception."

HH You must be very very old ! Disappeared in 1971.

53!

But as I have said elsewhere - even judges are fallible. I should have said property - not pecuniary advantage.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - the gardener
I enquired at the Bank about drafts, forged notes and accepting money when I was going to sell a car.

Basically, you can usually tell fake notes by the quality of the paper (but not always); false bankers drafts can be quite difficult to tell even by bank staff and so, as sean implies, it is best to get all money cleared before releasing the car. It not nice to be unhelpful like this but go in with a hard heart. Another reason to draft out an invoice with signatures etc. I even thought about photographing buyers but it was only a thought...
Private sale- unpleasant experience - jud
My post from last night appears to have disappeared?, it was directed at no one, had no abuse or bad language, simply saying what i would except as a purchaser.
I could not possibly 'deliver a verdict' in Ben's case. I could express an opinion, which I won't. But it seems there have been lessons learnt all round, which can't be a bad thing.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - smokie
For me, the most intriguing thing about this thread is that both parties are involved in it!

What's the chances of that eh?
>>My post from last night appears to have disappeared?,

Sure you didn't have finger troubles ? I haven't removed it.
I have locked the thread.

By all means continue a more generic discussion in another thread if you wish. However, the discussion about this particular transaction has now finished. I will remove anything else on that subject, irrespective of who posts it and irrespective of what it says.

Mark.
Private sale- unpleasant experience - Dynamic Dave
>>My post from last night appears to have disappeared?,
Sure you didn't have finger troubles ? I haven't removed it.

Just to clarify, neither did I.