Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - scruffythedog118
Hello all (and thanks for all your previous help)

My Father in Law is now fast approaching retirement and is looking to renew is ageing V reg Diesel Peugeot.

He is looking to move away from his current 1.9 diesel engine to a smaller 1.5 Diesel engine so as to save every penny in retirement. (cheaper tax, cheaper Insurance, higher economy etc etc)

Having looked on the net the only suitable make of car I can find that produce the 1.5 Diesel lump is Renault.

Does anyone know different ?

Cheers
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - AndyT
The Nissan Micra diesel uses the renault engine.

Kia Rio has a 1.5 diesel option.

Ford Fiesta and various Citroen/Peugeot combinations have a 1.4 diesel.

I think my choice though, would be a Toyota Yaris with their own 1.4, 75bhp diesel. Japanese reliability, and it uses a timing chain rather than a belt. I think the Corolla still has a 90bhp version of this engine as an option.
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - madf
Yaris diesle has £50 Road Fund Liccence and is very easy to enter/exit.
I bought one 3 months ago.
Absolutely great.
madf
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - PR {P}
I would recommend the Grande Punto with 1.3 multijet. YOu can get a 90BHP one and does about 60mpg combined. Also 18k mile service intervals! Well built aswell.
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - AndyT
If you're considering buying a Renault, whatever you do, do not look at the Parkers Discussion Forum, below;

htt p://forum.parkers.co.uk/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=8
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - Xileno {P}
The vast majority of those problems relate to the 1.9 and 2.2 dCi engined models. In my opinion a significant factor in this is the ridiculous 18K oil change interval which is too long for a diesel and I understand has now been reduced to 12K on current models.

The little 1.5 dCi is proving a durable engine, I have it in my Megane and it's now done 21K faultless miles, always smooth, economical and punchy. Refinement is very good as well, most people who ride in it can't believe it's a diesel.
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - Collos25
If he is retiring and going to do limited mileage what on earth does he want a diesel for .
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - y2k+4
Mitsubushi Colt? Smart ForFour? The latter will likely have very good deals so the dealers can get rid of the last of the now discontinued model. There are 68 and 95bhp models of the Mercedes 1.5 CDi engine.

If I was looking, I think I'd probabyl pick the Smart, just cause it's a bit funky, especially in a bright colour and interior...
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - PW
If any help had a Kia Cerato 1.5 CRDi as a hire car earlier this year- and was very very impressed by it. Very economical yet torquey engine. Build quality seemed top notch- car may have only done a few thousand kms but was a holiday rent me dent me after all, and had no squeaks or rattles or bits falling off.

Only downsides are pathetic boot size, image in the UK and guess residuals from lack of interest in this car (cant remember ever seeing one on the roads here). Handling wasn't the best, but not bad. Didn't have too many troubles keeping up with my parents in a Volvo V70 D5 (Dad is a fast driver).
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - DavidHM
Nothing he buys is going to be as cheap as keeping the existing car if it's reliable, even if it does get 60 mpg instead of 45 - 50. Obviously the car will need replacing at some stage but unless there are regular, large bills I would keep the existing one for another three years as it will only lose another £1k at most in depreciation, which will offset any fuel and road tax savings.

The 1.5 engine in the Clio dCi is very economical and torquey and pleasant to drive.

The Kia Rio is an absolute flying machine and handles very well in a Focus-like way. If it's a 1.9 Peugeot on a V-plate I presume he has a 306 and the drive on the Rio is quite similar to that. It's chain driven too and very spacious for its size. Residuals may or may not be great but I guess he's hoping to keep it for a long time.

I've not driven any of the others and if he wants budget motoring and does decide to replace, a lot will come down to the best broker price available.
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - andymc {P}
Agree with DavidHM that unless the current car is costing a lot of money (or there's a big bill around the corner), it would take quite a while to recoup the cost to change on fuel economy savings.
Having said that, he might just fancy a new car to treat himself to in his retirement. My dad (who has just retired within the past year) is very happy with his new Seat Cordoba 1.4 diesel, and especially with the fuel economy.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - DP
I had a Megane Sport Tourer with the 106PS 1.5 dCi engine for two months as a company car just before I left my last job.

This engine is brilliant. Very smooth and refined, pulls well and averaged 52 mpg right from the off (delivery miles). Had 58 mpg average out of one tankful!

Shame the car was already showing signs of build quality and electrical gremlins when I handed it back at 2 months and 5,000 miles old. The engine didn't miss a beat though.

Cheers
DP
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - MichaelR
He is looking to move away from his current 1.9 diesel
engine to a smaller 1.5 Diesel engine so as to save
every penny in retirement. (cheaper tax, cheaper Insurance, higher economy etc
etc)

Why do people do this? Seriously, the savings involved are so utterly minute you may as well not even bother. He'll save what, 50 quid a year in tax? 50 quid a year in his insurance, if that? Wow, thats simply staggering - go the trouble of changing your car and restricting your choice of vehicle all for the sake of saving about 8 quid a month.

8 quid a month? Thats nothing compared to the £5000-£10000 figure you'll probably be spending on this super-cheap new 1.5 diesel engined vehicle.

I doubt the economy difference is anything to write home about, either.
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - madf
He wants a diesel. he does limited miles.
As long as he looks after it and buys one where residuals are OK he should have no problems selling it.

Ever driven a petrol engined car an average journey distance of 2 miles? After 2 years, it's ill. After 5 it's knackered.
A diesel is a FAR more sensible option.

I speak from experience..

And car buying is ll about what the individual wants and is happpy with.

The extra £1-£2k on purchase price will largely be recouped in residuals and 55 mpg round town versus 35-40 in a petrol car will save around £170 per year in petrol costs. Add another £100 on RFL and that's £270 savings pa..

And diesels are much nicer to drive round town due to low end torque.

madf
Sensible 1.5 CC Diesel Engined vehicle - DavidHM
Assuming 45 mpg from a 306 and 58 mpg from a replacement, it'd be about £200 a year in fuel at 8k PA.

So actually more like £25 a month. Now if he can find a car that will depreciate less than £2,000 in three years he may be on to a winner compared to his Peugeot. A lot of the more common extra repairs (like brake discs and pads) can be paid for out of the savings to be had using an "under-the-arches" mechanic instead of a main dealer for servicing.

Eventually the Pug will fall apart and need replacement and if he's counting the pennies, that's when he should be looking to replace. Otherwise he should buy whatever he wants and can afford and not worry about squeezing every last penny from his running costs.

Unfortunately I can't see too many private sellers getting £6k for three-year-old Fiesta tdcis or the like - and that's after a mahoosive broker discount to bring it within the outer edges of credibility at least.