Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - gwyn parry

Unleaded around here costs 69.9 p per litre (in the deep hinterland of N Wales)
Filled up at Chester Services on the M56 the other day (within sniffin' distance of Stanlow) cost was 74p a litre now how does that work ??.
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - martin
I'd like to say daylight robbery, but there is no doubt more to it than that. May be the oil companies decide how rich the region is and adjust prices accordingly, London silly, Canterbury silly, Chartham resonable, that's how it appears to be in S.East anyway.
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - Tom Shaw
I believe the government rent the service areas on m/ways to the operators, no doubt at extortionate rates. Therefore a high proportion of the extra you pay for fuel, along with most of the fiver a cup of tea and a sandwich costs, finds it's way to Gordons purse. Can't build domes and wobbling bridges on fresh air, you know.
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - Rob S
The Motorway Service Stations often justify this difference because they lease the sites from the Highways Agency (aka HM GOV) at exorbitant rates, this may be truebut there must also be the 'captive market' thinking in that drivers not familiar with the area will put up with the extra cost.

Rob S
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - Ian Chilcot
Service stations have you over a barrel if you are on a motorway and in unfamiliar territory. They charge more because people are scared of getting lost so they take advantage. I live near South Mimms services on the M25 where petrol is nearly 5-6p a litre more than the petrol station less than a mile away on the way in to Potters Bar. Its just a big con.
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - Matt Kelly
Good place to go if you're going round the M25 and need some petrol in the South Mimms area is the Sava Centre at London Colney. It's one junction before South Mimms when going clockwise (I think) and the petrol forecourt even has a toilet. It's about 30 seconds from the motorway and is signposted from the slip road roundabout.

That's if you don't mind supermarket petrol obviously.
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - Steve G
Drove to Exeter on tuesday saw a garage with unleaded at 89.9 p a litre.I bet a few people get caught out.Always use Tesco now so i can get clubcard points.
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - Pete
There is a website called, I think, www.just5minutesaway.co.uk which can guide you to cheap(er) petrol, food and B&B than actually on the M-ways. When I last looked it didn't cover very many of the though
Re: Petrol Prices, how do they work ???? - Fred Stoat
This is how petrol prices work.

Getting oil out of the ground / sea costs about 0.5p a litre.
Getting it to the UK costs about 0.5p a litre.
Refining it costs 0.5p a litre.
Getting it to the petrol station costs about 0.5p a litre.

Tony B Liar knows we have to have it so he slaps on 50p a litre in duty and then charges 17.5% VAT, soon to be 19% then 21% (euro tax harmony) on that.
Cheaper Mway alternative - Martin T
I have a book called 'Just Off' which lists alternate places (including directions) to fill up, eat, etc. all within spitting distance of the motorway junctions. All motorways and junctions are covered, although mines a few years old now I'm sure there's an updated version available.