Ipods - Peter D
I have seen several drivers wearing Ipods, white in ear phones both ears whilst driving. They appear to not even be able to hear other drivers stood on their horns. Is it legal to wear earphones whilst driving. In my rally days if we were stopped on a road stage we quitly took off our ear defenders as at that time they were not road legal I think. Any ideas. Regards Peter
Ipods - trancer
Even if there is no specific law against wearing headphones (and there are lots wearing those bluetooth headsets, even the police wear headphones), there is always the "lack of due care and attention" catch all should the police find that a driver needs to be disciplined.
Ipods - Peter D
The police earphone is in one ear only as is bluetooth. Regards Peter
Ipods - Garethj
As you're allowed to drive even if you're deaf, I can't imagine driving with earphones in is against the law?
Ipods - Dynamic Dave
As you're allowed to drive even if you're deaf....

But that particular disablity will (or should) be already notified through to the DVLA as it's a driving impairment, but still deamed fit to drive - pending medical confirmation from a GP.

Wearing earphones to listen to an ipod is an artificial impairment and something completely different altogether.
Ipods - Galaxy
My understanding of the rules has always been that one earphone/headphone for communications, entertainment or whatever is acceptable, but two, i.e. one in each ear is not.
Ipods - Garethj
Wearing earphones to listen to an ipod is an artificial impairment and something completely different altogether.

Why is it different? You can't hear.

What about earplugs on motorbikes to cut out wind noise?
Ipods - Dynamic Dave
Why is it different? You can't hear.

That's as maybe, but the DVLA wouldn't have been told about it, thus in the event of an accident the ipod wearer would have the book thrown at him, whereas the the deaf person would have some comeback via the DVLA knowing about the disability.
Ipods - Garethj
but the DVLA wouldn't have been told about it, thus in the event of an accident the ipod wearer would have the book thrown at him, whereas the the deaf person would have some comeback via the DVLA knowing about the disability.

hmmmmm, if you say that's the law then I believe you, seems a bit strange to me though.

What about motorcyclists with earplugs?
Ipods - psi
RTA 1988 c.52
18 - (1) The Secretary of State may make regulations prescribing (by reference to shape, construction or any other quality) types of appliance of any description to which this section applies as authorised for use by persons driving or riding (otherwise than in sidecars) on motor cycles of any class specified in the regulations.

If a person driving or riding on a motor cycle on a road uses an appliance of any description for which a type is prescribed under this section and that appliance?

(a) is not of a type so prescribed, or

(b) is otherwise used in contravention of regulations under this section,

he is guilty of an offence.

(7) This section applies to appliances of any description designed or adapted for use?

(a) with any headgear, or

(b) by being attached to or placed upon the head,

(as, for example, eye protectors or earphones).
Ipods - Garethj
If a person driving or riding on a motor cycle on a road uses an appliance of any description for which a type is prescribed under this section and that appliance?

(a) is not of a type so prescribed,>>

It's like talking to Sir Humphrey Appelby!

Does this mean that earplugs are legal or not?
Ipods - psi
The ear plugs must meet the regulations prescribed by the Secretary of State (by reference to shape, construction or any other quality). If the are not of a type so prescribed, you are guilty of an offence.
Ipods - Garethj
Has the Secretary of State made such regulations? What are they, or where can I find out?
Ipods - Garethj
Thanks for the answer, I feel less like Jim Hacker now
Ipods - psi
EN Standards: EN352-2:2002 afaik
Ipods - Dynamic Dave
What about motorcyclists with earplugs?

Earplugs are engineered to filter out, or lessen certain noises. Conversation can still be carried out by people wearing earplugs, albeit the sound will be muffled.

Also, earplugs don't have a sound source (eg - ipod) attached to them that are pumping out tish tttish, boom boomf, bang dang type noises into the persons ear, that irritate anyone stood next to an ipod / personal stereo / MP3 wearer.
Ipods - Garethj
pumping out tish tttish, boom boomf, bang dang type noises into the persons ear, that irritate anyone stood
next to an ipod / personal stereo / MP3 wearer.

If I had to guess where DD had been today, I'd say it was on a train sitting next to someone with an (im)personal stereo
Ipods - Altea Ego
tish tttish, boom boomf, bang dang

it sounds like "it over takes me" from the album "at war with the mystics" by the flaming lips
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ipods - Adam {P}
This just further reinforces my beliefs that Dave has a crap taste in music.
Ipods - Imagos
I occasionaly wear earplugs when I drive a van or car without A/C with windows open because I find the wind noise thoroughly irritating.

Can't hear a thing, so where do I stand?
Ipods - Adam {P}
Pardon?
Ipods - psi
not too close to the kerb. you'd never hear it coming.
Ipods - psi
Interesting USA law:
The laws listed below are current as of October 2005.

In Maryland, currently there are no specific laws prohibiting distracted driving behaviors such as eating while driving, reading while driving, or cell phone use while driving, for example. However, there are laws in the Annotated Code of Maryland that require a driver to be aware, alert and not operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner.

* A person is guilty of reckless driving if he drives with a wanton or willful disregard for the safety of people or property. (TR § 21-901.1)
* A person is guilty of negligent driving if he drives in a careless or imprudent manner that endangers people or property. (TR § 21-901.1)
* Drivers also have a duty to exercise due care. (TR § 21-504)
* A person may not drive on the roadway wearing earplugs, a headset or earphones over or in both ears, except hearing aids. (TR § 21-1120)
Ipods - psi
The easiest way for most motorcyclists to achieve a reduction in noise levels is to wear earplugs. These should be marked with British Standard BS EN 352-2:2002, the hearing protector standard for Ear Plugs. Many UK police forces now provide these for their motorcyclists as part of their health and safety policy.

Courtest of ROSPA
Ipods - martint123
I've never seen bike plod wearing foam earplugs EN-whatever or not. They've all worn custom made earpieces connected to their radios.

The DVLA web site indicates that you only have to report profound deafness for LGV and PSV licenses.
I've often worn eardefenders on a long run in a noisy van.

Martin
Ipods - Dynamic Dave
I occasionaly wear earplugs
Can't hear a thing,

Why bother wearing them then?
Ipods - bell boy
maybe someome can give a plug for a plug?..................lets hear it???...............anybody..........
Ipods - THe Growler
So I can't use the old plastic putty any more then? Surely it has to be a joke - a gov't mandated spec for earplugs!
No wonder it's got a BS in front of it. Doubtless a working committee of obese pension-protected seat-warming EUreaucrats was formed with an expenses paid day conference and a nice lunch to come up with such a lot of garbage.

Here in Manila traffic cacophony is unbelievable and the wind in your shell-likes is hardly a consideration in comparison. I find our close fitting swivel front Zeus helmet cuts out a lot of it even if Growlette does resemble a Treen from a Dan Dare comic with hers on.. But of course I forget that in Britain the slightest toot on one of those feeble horns your cars have is enough to induce apoplexy among the drinkers at the Goat and Compasses.

Ipods - Armitage Shanks {p}
(7) This section applies to appliances of any description designed or adapted for use?

(a) with any headgear, or

(b) by being attached to or placed upon the head,

This would not apply to an ear plug IMHO as such a device is not attached to or placed on the head, it is placed IN the head!
Ipods - stevied
I'm impressed with TVM's Flaming Lips knowledge.

Can't think of a motoring link in any way.